Is it time to talk about next-gen?

• 64 results
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Poll Is it time to talk about next-gen? (393 votes)

Bring on the next-gen ASAP. 5%
Another current-gen upgrade would be better. 2%
Don't care, as long as there's backwards compatibility. 17%
Current-gen's got a few more years in it. Maybe in 2020? 56%
Five. More. Years. 20%

Thought about this a few months ago and lo and behold there's been rumblings of PS5 dev kits making the rounds. Thinking about it, I realized I'm kinda not ready to up and leave my PS4 behind, and I'm not very confident I would be by 2020 either.

Obviously no one's forced to make the jump (though backwards compatibility would make it a no-brainer), but something about it all feels too soon. Maybe it's just because the PS3/360 era was so damn long, I kinda expect the industry to wring more out of this generation of consoles before taking that next full step up. But by 2020 we'll technically be around the same point the PS4 and XONE were released relative to the prior generation of consoles.

So what do you think? Ready for next-gen?

I guess I'm also kinda low-key asking how important backwards compatibility is to y'all.

• 
Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@willyod said:

What is the next-gen? There is no next-gen... what are we gonna do? Upgrade the CPU a bit, upgrade the GPU a bit? It's still basically the same machine but with a little more kick. Anyways, wouldn't expect any news before 2020.

Add freesync capability as it becomes a standard in TVs.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, but that's not really a "generational leap". It's just a single feature. I've been running my PC at 144Hz GSync for quite a while.

I should have added one more sentence. Only Games Matter. (And Software too).

It doesn't matter if you bring out superior console with alien technology, if you don't have killer games on it...

My hope for the future:

- I hope devs start pushing the hardware a bit more. These consoles still pack quite a punch even though they are CPU bound.

- Backwards compatibility as Xbox is doing

- Cross-platform ownership/play as Microsoft is doing.

- I hope Sony hops along & I hope Nintendo gets it (Internet) shit together instead of filling their store with indie ports.

@flashflood_29 said:

Add freesync capability as it becomes a standard in TVs.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

More so than graphics I really do think the modern gamepad needs some form of evolution. The XBOX Pro controller is a good example of what a well made peripheral can be, but I also think different button configurations need to be introduced as games evolve. I always thought that a horizontal scrollwheel between each set of triggers on the back would be a good idea for menu's and additional click inputs. If games continue to head towards this awkward Destiny themed menu interface of a virtual cursor then maybe future gamepads should have a small trackball somewhere, which in turn would really help when wanted to control your PC from the couch using the controller.

I dunno, graphics and fidelity will continue to evolve at a gradual curve, but I think the way we interact with games is what I'm a lot more interested in.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@willyod: I see what you're saying and I'm not suggesting that alone is going to push the next generation, but that it will one really good reason. Which has me wondering if they can do add that to a same-gen console. :shrug At this point, most of it really does come down to power and pushing 4k. Chasing 4k and ray-tracing rendering (I hope I used those terms right).

What I really think is going to be the next step in games is systems and systems-driven mechanics. In terms of open world games, dynamic elements interacting in ways not pre-coded. Of course, on top of better AI.

@humanity: I like the scroll will idea (if it were done right/comfortably). As far as the trackball for menus, the PS4 has the trackpad but since it's not a standard, it's mostly used as new buttons. Which the capability of it as a button is pretty damn good. I remember configuring my DS4 on Windows with a third party app and seeing all of the different gestures/clicks you can set up, and it must have doubled the amount of inputs possible on the controller.

fredriech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think alot of people SAY that backwards compatibility is important, then never actually play old games. for me, I don't really care. I guess it would be cool to have, but if I wanted to play an old game nothing is stopping me. As far as next gen, I think it's gonna be a few more years before Sony or Microsoft really talk about next gen systems. I don't count Nintendo, they're kinda doing their own thing.

Algar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't care as long as it has BC similar to XB1X where it enhances the previous gen games, although imo I think they should wait a few years so they can make a bigger jump, I feel like current gen games look great enough, obviously some sacrifices framerate for it but I doubt they have a lot of headroom to push for higher framerate without really high end expensive hardware right now, wait a few years, by then they can take advantage of better hardwares, whether they push for graphics or framerate at least they will have more to work with.

I mean games like FFXV are still awfully demanding on PC with all the bells and whistles.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That is what interests me - we are on the last 10 to 15 years cusp of huge changes in computing. A console in 2032 might be a box that makes God of War (2018) feel like PONG (1972).

I think the next generation of hardware will be interesting for what it can't do. We saw this with PS 2, Sony called the CPU the "emotion engine" and promised game characters that could show emotion...sort of the Pixar claim but with saying the characters would have facial expressions in real time. Well, I don't think er got THAT level of character creation until PS4.

The next set of consoles, likely coming in two or three years, will truly be the last remnants of the 'old theory' of consoles. PS5 could be the last console with and optical drive physical patter storage, non-raytrace graphics...the last one WITHOUT a Google AI assistant built in????