Is it weird to think of Pokemon Red&Blue as the best RPGs ever?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I've never been into the RPG genre and I hated all the RPGs on the PC back in the late 90s, even though everyone else liked them I found them to be very dated and controlled badly. I musta been in my mid teens when these games came out in 1998ish and frigging they were the first RPG games I could ever really get into. I remember playing both of them through and Yellow and having a blast with them. I didn't even like Pokemon but I had a Gameboy and wanted to play something good on them while I was on holiday and I spent 6 days in my hotel room playing Red & blue.

They are easily forgotten games and looked down upon for being Pokemon but damn they were good and fun games!

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shadows_kill

yes its weird because gold and silver versions where better

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Pokemon was like the first RPG I remember playing. I never even realized it was an RPG at the time.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Discorsi

I wouldn't consider them the best, but they are very good.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shadows_kill
LiquidPrince said:
"Pokemon was like the first RPG I remember playing. I never even realized it was an RPG at the time."
who did notice it was a RPG at the time...
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter

The only reason we all have such fond memories of this game when it came out is because we were 6. It's definately been improved upon. Like the above people said, gold and silver were way better.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

You probably think that because it makes you feel nostalgic. Silver and Gold were like an improvement on it, so those would instantly be better.

BigJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By BigJosh

I think they were very influential. Red and Blue will go down as one of the greatest, if only bc of what they started. But I don't think you can compare them to games like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6. Of course these games had a very different focus, but if you're going to compare rpgs.....

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Optiow

I love blue, it is still one of my fave games to play.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Gold and Silver but I didn't like them because I only liked the original 150 Pokemon or 300... can't remember if each game had 150 each or shared them.

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shinryu

Yes, yes it is very weird to think that.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail
PapaLazarou said:
"I played Gold and Silver but I didn't like them because I only liked the original 150 Pokemon or 300... can't remember if each game had 150 each or shared them."
I can't either... I think each had 150.. Anyway, it is ridiculous the amounts of pokemon these days.

I was impressed when I found out that they had actually evolved magneton in these new games.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

well it wasn't really an rpg it was a monster capture game and most of those have rpg elements, your own character couldn't gain levels...ect as for that it wasn't very good i never got into the whole pokemon thing i had blue but it never appealed to me much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WilliamRLBaker said:
"well it wasn't really an rpg it was a monster capture game and most of those have rpg elements, your own character couldn't gain levels...ect as for that it wasn't very good i never got into the whole pokemon thing i had blue but it never appealed to me much."

I don't think it matters that your character couldn't level..... that doesn't make an RPG.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Systech

I don't think it's weird. They certainly are some of the best, so why not?