Is Persona 4 Golden worth the $250 USD? (update:YES)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey
No Caption Provided

I am currently in a Dry Spell of Video Games and found myself popping in the Persona 4 and Persona 3 on the PlayStation 2 cause why not? I have absorbed the shit out of these games. These games are still freaking awesome as fuck, But with the Release of Persona 4 Golden awhile ago I know more stuff was introduced that i'd like to "experience" while also playing the main game. Should i plunk down the $250 just to play this game?? (VITA + Game)

No other game on that platform remotely interest me besides this one. I know this is my decision alone, but I thought I'd get some opinions from Yahoo Answers GIANTBOMBDOTCOM.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I've been having the same issue. I've decided to just wait until the inevitable Vita price drop that has to be coming. Hopefully. Aaany day now.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By RuthLoose

Eww... video game dry spell... I would hold the fuck out to see if the Vita is really going to allow you to play your PS4 games as the rumors are claiming. By then, Sony will surely have every single good PS Vita game on PlayStation Plus as a final come on.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go for it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Uh i highly doubt it especially if you played persona 4 recently.

It's just a spruced up persona 4 right? Why play it again with a few extras if you've played it recently.

If you plan on getting a PS4 a Vita might be worth it with all those crossplay features, but still...just for a game you've already played?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I wouldn't expect a Vita price drop until next year. Sony are going to hope that the PS4 functionality with the Vita will boost sales. When that fails, they'll probably drop the price early next year.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Only if you have never played it before or really loved playing it and are dying to see the new content. I bought it, but I discovered around half way through I was never going to finish it. I had watched the ER for a second time a few months back and had just watched the awesome anime a few months before and just couldn't bring myself to see the story for a fourth time.

If you got PS+ it's worth it for the free games, and if you get the white Assassin's Creed one the game that comes with it is pretty good. Plus there's being able to play all of the old psx games on the go that's neat.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't expect a price drop at all. Just include some more extras in the box is what Sony's gonna do. Even a 64 gb memory card would be neat, but probably not at the $250 price.

If they had a Golden Vita with an amusing pattern and along with the game, that'd be neat.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Oh, you're talking about the combined price of the game and a new Vita. I saw one of the threads about Atlus' parent company's financial/legal "troubles" right before seeing this thread and got very worried.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but still...just for a game you've already played?

Just for a AMAZING game i've already played, yes.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

For me, yes. I can't say for you. You've waited this long though, why not wait a bit longer?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did it just for this reason... Plus my growing collection of free PS+ Vita games was a nice incentive as well, but mainly I bought the Vita just for P4G (although finished it on the PS2 as well).

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I did this. Was it worth it? I don't know but Persona 4 is in my top 5 games of all time so yes, yes it was worth it.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy a used VITA. Seriously the market is saturated with them. I picked up mine a good 3 months ago on eBay for $140+$12ship. Included a Vita 3G/WIFI, Rayman, Lumines, 8GB Card and a case. I sold the 8gb card for 15 bucks and purchased a 32GB card as I am doing a mostly digital Vita especially with PS+. There is a lot to play on the Vita and I am in love with mine. Friend had a similar deal only difference was he got Madden instead of Rayman & Lumines. Keep trying and don't break $150, you'll win one eventually. Also check Craigslist.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah man.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Flappy

Buy a used VITA. Seriously the market is saturated with them. I picked up mine a good 3 months ago on eBay for $140+$12ship. Included a Vita 3G/WIFI, Rayman, Lumines, 8GB Card and a case. I sold the 8gb card for 15 bucks and purchased a 32GB card as I am doing a mostly digital Vita especially with PS+. There is a lot to play on the Vita and I am in love with mine. Friend had a similar deal only difference was he got Madden instead of Rayman & Lumines. Keep trying and don't break $150, you'll win one eventually. Also check Craigslist.

This is the way to go. Get that 32GB memory card, get PS+, and go to town.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It was for me.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#19  Edited By Wemibelle

I thought so but I REALLY like Persona 4. I have played other things on mine, but the original reason I picked one up was for Golden. It is a fantastic version of the game. However, the new inclusions might not be enough to entice everyone. Waiting a bit longer shouldn't be too hard, unless it just drives you crazy like it did me.

If you're bored and have no games to play, you'd probably be better off finding some cheap stuff online. Steam is probably due for its Summer Sale any week now.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

if your getting a vita for just that one game, i wouldn't do it, you practically already played it.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I just got a vita with PS+ and have really been enjoying it. I still need to get P4G.

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say wait. Regardless of the Vita situation getting more or less dire, I'm sure there will be a "better" time to buy one in the future. A price drop, a bundle....something.

I've been having the same issue. I've decided to just wait until the inevitable Vita price drop that has to be coming. Hopefully. Aaany day now.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Persona 4 is priceless.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Let's be honest here: Most of what you want out of P4G that you can't get in vanilla Persona 4 can be found on Youtube. That's how I got my fix, and I didn't have to buy a Vita to do it.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By indiana_jenkins

I bought a Vita for Persona 4 Golden. I still don't know if it was the right call.

But I do like portable versions of PSN games.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By GS_Dan

Have you got PS Plus? Even if those games don't interest you a huge amount, you possibly already have a decent Vita library if you're a member.

madnesshero88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm amazed at the amount of new stuff they crammed into golden, its has extra persona-y goodness oozing from every orifice. BTW you can get zero escape for vita, I recommend it if you decide to take the plunge and want something else to try that's super weird/interesting/awesome

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

No one game is worth $250 in my opinion.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There are other games on the Vita worth playing. Any sarcastic response to this post belongs about a year ago in the past.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PK_Koopa

As stated, used Vitas aredefinitely the way to go here. Got one for about £90 with a good sized memory card on Ebay after stalking it for about a few weeks. Bought Persona 4 the Golden immediately and sunk roughly 100 hours into it, and even though I barely picked up the system since, I really enjoyed those hours and I haven't regretted it.

SuperKcross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SuperKcross

I bought a used PSP specifically just to play P3P. I suspect I'll do the same for P4G eventually.

Avatar image for purplemoustache
PurpleMoustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PurpleMoustache

I bought a Vita last month solely to play P4G because I have never played it, and I watched a bit of the ER and dropped everything and put all resources I had to playing that game.

Since then I have beat it, and have been playing Rayman Origins, Gravity Rush, Retro City Rampage, and a whole buttload of more stuff.

So yes, its worth the $250

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like persona, yes. I use my Vita as my Persona machine with 1,2,3,4 always on and ready to go

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If youre in the EU (not sure if its US as well) theres a vita sale with persona 3 for around £11. I have sunk 50 hours into that and im around 3/4 to 4/5 through so thats another timesink. That and now that you have a Vita GET PS PLUS. It has been a literal godsend for not having to buy games for the vita while still being spoilt for choice (in the UK).

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By MetalBaofu

@bigjeffrey said:
No other game on that platform remotely interest me besides this one.

Really? Not one thing at all? I know there's not a ton of stuff there, but there is a couple things worth playing. Muramasa Rebirth, Virtue's Last Reward, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Gravity Rush, Tales from Space. I really enjoyed Tales from Space, and Muramasa(on the Wii). You also have Tearaway, Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate, and Y's: Memories of Celceta later this year.

The cross-save/play stuff is kind of cool. I've mainly used it to play Retro City Rampage, Dragon Fantasy, Hotline Miami and Guacamelee on the Vita when away from my PS3. I don't know, I just think you can find something to do with it besides Persona.

Oh, Frobisher Says is kind of cool too, at least for a bit, and it's a free download.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I bought a PSP for Persona 3 portable. It was totally worth it! Persona is my favorite series. Having said that, I'm holding off on the Vita until we see where Persona 5 will be going. I'm hoping for PS 3 (which I own) or Vita (which I'm totally willing to buy) before I make a decision on a new handheld.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So after a couple of weeks browsing the store,

Persona 4 Golden remains my only VITA game. So i guess it still is worth it.

Persona 3 Portable is also sitting on my home screen aswell.

Also WTF i dropped it on my carpet and that shit got scratched up to hell, Sighhhh Sony quality screen.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Landmine

@bigjeffrey I bought a vita recently and have been playing through P4G, it's a lot of fun and there are some decent PS+ games for the system atm. Uncharted, and Gravity Rush have been pretty good so far. Also, they just added Zero Escape: VLR for free.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like persona, yes. I use my Vita as my Persona machine with 1,2,3,4 always on and ready to go

After seeing this http://www.giantbomb.com/shin-megami-tensei-persona-2-innocent-sin/3030-33000/forums/this-game-deserves-a-bigger-fanbase-1443580/#31

i guess that is what my VITA will be good for

$30 for both P2 parts not bad..........

@landmine said:

@bigjeffrey I bought a vita recently and have been playing through P4G, it's a lot of fun and there are some decent PS+ games for the system atm. Uncharted, and Gravity Rush have been pretty good so far. Also, they just added Zero Escape: VLR for free.

I've never had a affection for the uncharted series, Gravity Rush art style puts me off, just like Borderlands.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I have a hard time telling people they should spend that much money on a game, but if that's the only thing I ever played on my vita, I'd still consider it a worthy purchase. Very few games have ever done for me what Persona 4 Golden did for me.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

simple direct answer. Yes.