Is Playstation allowing developers to bless players with free PS4 upgrades on PS5?

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

I remember at PS5 launch ubisoft was making their catalogs playable on PS5 but had issues with Assassins Creed Syndicate. I know that Series X titles are as a given being upgrade from the Xbox One version. The only game I know about getting the PS5 treatment for free is Cyberpunk2077? Anybody else? Where is this list? I know Sony titles like Forbidden West will get the treatment but that marks the end of an era of the free upgrade. Which developers/game are honing their skills upgrading PS4 games for free?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Efesell

I would assume it's largely developer discretion? A lot of games got free PS5 upgrades but as we get further out I'm sure we'll see more of the discount style of things.

I mean there's no way that they couldn't offer Cyberpunk as a free upgrade after being kicked off of the store for being busted. Had that game launched in a normal state it probably would have been 20$ to upgrade or something like that.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ThePanzini

Its purley a developer choice CDPR have free updates for Cyberpunk & Witcher 3 coming next year.

Prior to release Sony's SDK couldn't do upgrades without releasing a PS5 version its why Cyberpunk doesn't have the Series improvements on PS5, but we've seen a lot of games since provide free upgrades even from Sony themselves.

God of War, Last of Us Part 2, Days Gone have free upgrades with Ghost of Tsushima having both, and a ton from third parties too Source.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The console itself can also act as a pretty strong upgrade source, even if not as specifically as XBox's more AI-driven (?) and comprehensive back-compat tech. For example, I've been playing Civ VI a lot still and it's amazing that the game can load up an Epic-size map and seed it all in less time than it takes for Sean Bean to read the little flavor text describing your Civ. On PS4, you were usually waiting another minute or two after he was done. Likewise, even in the late game with a dozen+ cities and the whole map exposed with Civs making all kinds of complex decisions turns are barely more then 4 or 5 seconds whereas they could chug for as many as 15 or 20 before. That really helps a game as "one more turn..." as Civ is.

Likewise, I'd never have thought I'd replay the entire Red Dead Redemption II campaign. I put nearly 200 hours into it the first time (likely lots of idling, but still - love that feature on PS5 as well!) but here I am already at over 20 hours on my new save just because the game is wickedly gorgeous to look at and it loads from menu to map in about 15 seconds, which if you've played that game you remember could take as long as 3 minutes before. It makes dying less of a pain in the ass also. And! Because the console is designed from the ground up with HDR in mind, some combination of my TV's HDR settings, the game's own and the console's core HDR settings allow this game to really, really shine. It runs smooth as a whistle too, but it really is incredible to look at this game from 2018 and just be in complete awe of it despite having also played Rift Apart, Ghost of Tsushima PS5 upgrade and Guardians of the Galaxy this year. Truly a stunning game on PS5 just with actual working HDR propping it up and more seamless load streaming.

...But the list of official PS5 upgrades is still pretty short. They have a page for it on the store and everything! Seems like most non-first party are opting for free? Jedi Fallen Order, Destiny 2, No Man's Sky and DOOM Eternal were free anyway, and a lot of the other games listed are just bundled PS4/PS5 copies or free to play to begin with like Genshin Impact and Warframe.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@efesell said:

I would assume it's largely developer discretion? A lot of games got free PS5 upgrades but as we get further out I'm sure we'll see more of the discount style of things.

I mean there's no way that they couldn't offer Cyberpunk as a free upgrade after being kicked off of the store for being busted. Had that game launched in a normal state it probably would have been 20$ to upgrade or something like that.

Presumably they knew at the time, but CDPR announced well before CP77 launched that the PS5/Series upgrade would be free.