User Lists: 3

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By nateandrews

TLOU2 was a page I intended to fill out after finishing the game but just never got around to it. The wiki doesn’t get as much attention as it did back in the day sadly.

I’ve done a lot of work on pages for some recent releases, like Metro Exodus, Death Stranding, Battlefield 1, and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Some games still slip through the cracks though.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

From what I can tell, there are wiki contributors that are pretty good about at the very least making a page for each video game release, listing its release date, throwing in some art for the page.

Filling out an entire wiki page with paragraphs of description is a lot more work, and there are only so many people contributing to the wiki to go around.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

This will come across as very cheeky and shitty, but I don't mean it as sarcastic as I usually would.

You can edit the wiki.

Even basic stuff can be filled in. Overview, reception and reviews, quick story synopsis, etc. Just make sure you don't violate the wiki rules and you'll be good.

More than likely the Twitch association drove a lot of pages to be created but maybe didn't promote those pages to be filled.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

TLOU2 was a page I intended to fill out after finishing the game but just never got around to it. The wiki doesn’t get as much attention as it did back in the day sadly.

I’ve done a lot of work on pages for some recent releases, like Metro Exodus, Death Stranding, Battlefield 1, and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Some games still slip through the cracks though.

hmmm, does this mean gb has slipped in popularity?

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xdeser2: I think it's more that video game communities have moved to other places, namely Twitter, Discord, and Reddit. Forums seemed way more active across different sites in the mid to late 2000s than they do now. You can say the same about the wiki.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By benjo_t

@finaldasa: A fine point, well-stated! I've done a bit of wiki editing here in the past (though my editing history is gone from my profile, and the pages I contributed to, for some reason. I'm in the top editors for Path of Exile, but my history is gone). I was just surprised to see the gaps, I guess.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 FinalDasa  Moderator

@xdeser2: GB as a whole? Not really. The wiki's popularity? Probably. GB also use to have more hooks to get people into editing the wiki including quests or bounties. Mods or staff could set a bounty for a page that needed filling or needed editing and reward extra points based on the task.

@benjo_t: Oh trust me that message was as much to myself as to you or others.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Think the thing I use GB wiki the most for is the associations with themes or features. For everything else, there seems to be a dedicated wiki for just about every game out there.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I remember noticing that Wiki activity must have really plummeted when I checked Gears 5 and saw it barely had anything on it - and indeed checking now it is nearly a blank stub. The quests were a big proponent of getting people to fill the pages out, but activity of both site and wiki have quite visibly diminished over the years.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I really liked those wiki tasks. Was bummed when they went away.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah, I think the Wiki seems to sadly slowly be dying. I used to do quite a bit of work (not as much as others, but still), but kinda lost all motivation in the last couple years.

From the random chatter from the GB crew on various streams it also seems that the Wiki just ain't a priority for them anymore either. They practically never mention it anymore, which is a shame, and probably also one of the reasons for the decline.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I think the wiki had some good incentives but now it’s just kind of dead. While this could have been the one-stop shop for all things games, the cool stuff about the site besides the videos kind of went away.

Sadly, googling or searching via any search engine “Last of Us wiki“ doesn’t even show Giant Bomb’s wiki for it on the first few pages (I didn’t want to keep looking for it after that). Note that The Last of Us DOES have a filled-out wiki on GB. But at least 3 other wikis show up for it on google for different websites. If people aren’t finding these there’s not even the base incentive of eyes-on-page to keep people writing for them, let alone staff interest or their incentives. It would be nice if they kept the quest stuff cause that’s pretty unique to this wiki, but as of now there just aren’t any parts that aren’t readily available elsewhere.

I’d imagine losing the personnel required to keep the wiki evolving just left it static, but who knows...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

The internet having dedicated wiki sites cut GB's wiki intentions at the knees a long time ago. GB in general has shifted from a classic "full featured* site to a YouTube channel. That probably sounds harsher than I mean since it doesn't affect me much; it been years since I've had the time to enjoy GB's content other than the podcasts anyway.

When the site was new I tried contributing a bit but I always felt like I wasn't deep enough into any game to be able to contribute meaningfully.