Is there a way to get 5.1 Surround Sound out of Nintendo Switch through Sonos System

Avatar image for propagandapanda
Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Propagandapanda
Rincewiind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The short answer is you can't do it.

Nintendo does not include Dolby support in the console. It is uncompressed linear PCM only. This is not a problem for component sound systems but for some reason is uncommon in sound bars and nonexistent in gaming headsets. You would need a device that receives LCPM and then encodes it into Dolby Digital. I don't know of any that do this.

It's not an EDID problem. The the two devices are handshaking properly. They just don't have a surround sound I/O protocol in common.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I would go to the Sonos, Nintendo, and/or Reddit forums to research this because people have probably figured it out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The Switch was never designed to do this so even if someone gets it working I doubt it will sound right. If you want your console games in surround sound, you need one of the other two platforms.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my soundbar to work better with it. Due to the Switch not supporting Dolby Digital sound is always cutting out when audio goes quiet even for a split second. It annoys me greatly.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f68522930b7
deactivated-63f68522930b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Yamaha 7.1 surround and although I don’t get full 3D Dolby some games and streaming apps on the switch do give me 5.1 Dolby Digital I’ve noticed it mainly when there is background music playing in some games