Is this the Beginning of the End for GB?

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

siamesegiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

To be honest I feel like the Bombcast feels fresher and more fun than it has in years. Also, Jan stepping up into a bigger role has been great. I didn't realise it but maybe things were becoming a bit stale, and perhaps it was down to those guys' hearts not really being in it any more? I miss them but I'm fully on board with what's coming.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By deckard

I think everything will work out, but I also think that if the site was just going to stay the way it is and Jeff was going to simply hire new people he would have said so by now. The radio silence around the state of the site indicates to me that A) big, fundamental changes are being hashed out behind the scenes and B) a lot of people are going to freak out when they do announce the changes (this is the Internet after all). I mean Jeff has repeat over the years (and recently) that it may not make much sense to even have a website in 2021. We’ll see what happens.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Up to you, it might be the end of your journey with GB... But I’m sticking around. I’m not expecting the guys to constantly churn out videos right now as there will be a lot of behind the scenes stuff happening.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Change is coming, but that isn't always bad. I'm excited to see where GB goes now. Bring on the fresh ideas and fresh faces.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Too early for articles like this. I don't really expect to see glimmers of new GB until September, possibly not until 2022. I don't think the free month of May was indicative of the exact length of time before nu-Giantbomb suddenly appears. I'm still enjoying the Bombcast which is mostly how I consumed GB for the past couple years anyway.

@monkeyking1969: It's funny you mention that because I actually do feel like the end of Whisky Media was when Giantbomb, in retrospect, left the path of building to that unique big thing we were hoping for from when Jeff left Gamespot. After that we got Austin, Dan, Abby, Ben, etc and a ton of memorable moment even though the site "settled into a groove". Plenty to appreciate in every era!

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I think it's the end of the beginning.

This. Giant Bomb only continues to grow and spread.

Austin & Patrick formed Waypoint, which has just launched their own subscription setup to fund them doing more cool podcasts and returning to weekly livestreams. Dan is a nightmare livestream monster. Brad & Will made a tech pod. Abby runs a less nightmarish but nevertheless chaotic stream (and both her and Dan have brought on former staff members and friends of the site on several occasions).

As for GB itself... it's gonna be personal preference, of course. Every time someone leaves, there's people for whom the balance of the site is irrevocably altered in a way they can't sit with. I've enjoyed every incarnation, and with Jeff at the helm and Jan & Jason as his right and left hand men (and Rory & Jeff B standing guard to the sides, to complete this weird analogy I've stumbled into), I think we're setup for something really cool. Honestly I've been enjoying the recent podcasts a ton, but that's only the beginning for what is to come. Maybe they nail it first time, maybe they don't, but I know Jeff is tentatively excited for the challenge of working out what the future of the site looks like and that makes me excited, too.

weazman54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One small thing that I REALLY WANT MORE OF is when they had Imran on the relaxed Friday stream. Have friends from the industry pop in more on streams could be super fun. Also right now bakalar is playing trough RE5 with Abby on twitch. Why no site archive even if it's premium.

camitalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for what's to come, don't get me wrong I was extremely bummed out when I heard the guys were leaving, but there's still a bunch of awesome people here.

I'm also not surprised that the site has been quiet, not only did they lose half their cast, they losta producer but also lost half their staff, everyone has off camera stuff they do Day to day, and losing 3 people is a lot. Hiring takes time to do right and all this is going on during planning and prep for e3 which has been incredibly short notice and slapdash this year (e3 and Summergamesfest not GB coverage of these things).

Ryan passed, Patrick left, Austin left, Drew left, Dan left, Abby left and Ben left, and the guys always managed to a) pull through and continue on and b) managed to hire and introduce new awesome people.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@y2ken said:
@berfunkle said:

I think it's the end of the beginning.

This. Giant Bomb only continues to grow and spread.

GiantBomb is Kudzu.

No Caption Provided

Or, is Jeff Gerstmann is our god-emperor?!

My duders. Sons and daughters of Giant Bomb.... For many month, we have been a broken nation... Homebound, beard growing, and conquered by a virus we sought to escape.
It twas, a day like this 11 years ago, when I asked for time, and that time was granted by you - duders. You, the strength in my arm, the askers of questions like -"Bat vs Knife". For we were only some weirdos from old GameSpot who slowly collected an exodus from games punditry... An exodus for freedom. Sausalito, California became that freedom... Our new world (and heavy consumption of energy drinks) changed our bodies. At first, it weakened us, but in fact, we were growing ~ stronger. In the time you have given me, I have built & rebuilt our nation, I have rebuilt our strength, and I have rebuilt our pride!. Other, magazines have fallen and websites have been ground to dust - those employees of other publication have been re-educated. We hired them and gave them new insights into our cause.
On this day, we stand united once more. On this day, those driven to divide us will hear our voice! On this day, we shall act as one, and we shall be ignored NO MORE! Defenders of the GiantBomb dream, NOW IS OUR TIME!"

[Yes, the irony is Jeff dislikes at Killzone, is not lost on me.]

Hurvilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I count on hearing things about new hires soon, at least two, maybe three.

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Vinny, Alex, and Brad all leave. Jeff says that they're, essentially, restructuring the company and to compensate for the lack of content May is free for everyone. Asks for people to be patient as they work out the plans and look forward to E3 stuff.

One day into June: "Is Giant Bomb dead?"

I understand the concern but maybe wait until after E3 and some plans start to shake out before getting melodramatic.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jeff's wife is also now six months pregnant. give them some breathing room

Avatar image for deactivated-60c360497d24a
deactivated-60c360497d24a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back energy drink tests or I’m done. BRING ‘EM BACK.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vectortheangel: "Too early for articles like this"

To be fair to the OP, this isn't the only fundamental change GB has seen lately. Since DR left there have been no new hires while five more staff have left. Between those events they've been bought by RV.

I get that people want to be optimistic about the future but really can't blame anyone for questioning things at this point.

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kunakai: Under normal circumstances I'd agree but I would expect a lot of leeway during a pandemic.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Barely any time has passed, they haven't even had time to hire anyone new, and there's still a pandemic on. I know there'll always be doomsayers climbing atop one another to scream FIRST! at the meteor, but this seems premature.

@pixelrat said:

Every time somebody leaves or something changes people say this.

My opinion?

Sit back and enjoy what it is right now. If you like it support it, if you don't then you find something else.

I remember people swearing UP AND DOWN that the introduction of the subscription model was "the end of the site." I remember when Patrick started getting more vocal about causes he supported and actual journalism, that was "the end of the site." A few of the more raucous E3's or Big Live Live Shows LIVE have marked the official "end of the site" according to some.

This too shall pass.

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By VectortheAngel

I do feel there are valid complaints to be made and there is cause for concern, however.

Personally, I'm disappointed there haven't been any Quick Looks or even coverage of some games recently. I'd love to see something on Subnautica: Below Zero, Biomutant, Griftlands, and Necromunda: Hired Gun. There's finally been some notable releases and no videos for any of them.

This week there's PSO 2: New Genesis and next week there's the E3 stuff and 3 releases (Ratchet & Clank, Game Builder Garage, & Guilty Gear Strive all on the 11th) right in the middle of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm subbed until January, so I'll see what they do. That said, I'm a little worried they aren't going to hire anyone and will just have a rotation of freelancers/contract people coming in and out. This site is all about the rapport between the staff for me, if people are just on streams or pods every once and a while I worry that it won't feel like a cohesive group anymore. It works wth Danny because he has a history with the site and worked with Jeff and Jason in the same office for a couple years. I'm hopeful it works out and they hire back up, and I guess we'll find out soon.

matsunoshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By matsunoshin

I dunno, I have been listening to the podcast for many years and I have found the addition of Jeff B. and Danny amazing. These past few podcasts have given me more enjoyment than they have in quite awhile (probably since the aftershow). Jan is still here and I feel like has a bigger role now which is great.

With that said, I am struggling to see what kind of shows there will be now besides the podcast.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

No? I mean I don't feel any particular loss anymore. No shade towards those who are gone, but I am over it. I enjoy the bombcast still, and those who left that still make content elsewhere are relevant to me. I watch Abby and Dan on twitch every now and then, and I listen to Will & Brads podcast. If Vinny and Alex do something else Im sure it will grab my attention. I guess I just adapt quick to change.

nerozerohero99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Its not end of the world, but you can see it from here"

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always hard when folk leave and I'll miss them all. The stuff GB has put out since has still been great imo and I'm looking forward to hearing what's to come.

Skiddie77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm subbed until January, so I'll see what they do. That said, I'm a little worried they aren't going to hire anyone and will just a have a rotation of freelancers/contract people coming in and out. This site is all about the rapport between the staff for me, if people are just on streams or pods every once and a while I worry that it won't feel like a cohesive group anymore. It works wth Danny because he has a history with the site and worked with Jeff and Jason in the same office for a couple years. I'm hopeful it works out and they hire back up, and I guess we'll find out soon.

I feel the same and I'm worried that we will not get back to the quality content we had pre pandemic. I really hope they get back together in an office, but I doubt that will happen. Just random freelancers doing their own stuff wont cut it.

But I have faith in Jeff, he will probably figure something out and it will be cool!

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I think it is for me, or has been for a while. The dark middle chapter of the end.

After the desk and site redesign, I didn't watch much content through 2019 because the site was uncomfortable to use (I'm still not used to it) and the general atmosphere changed. I was largely brought back by some enjoyable features, but I continued to pick and choose content based on who was involved. Now that most of the staff are new to me, I'm watching less just for the people I'm used to. Even outside of Infinite, I watch more old videos than new ones. And I'll continue to subscribe just for that old content, but I don't think I'll ever go back to watching everything they put out.

If there was a QL Crew which collected VODs of streams from Giant Bomb alumni, I might be into that.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It's not about beginnings or endings...

No Caption Provided
Sulcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really happy with where the site is at. A quiet building of growth. Jan is killing it, absolutely legendary, capable, loveable, encouraging, great. I am looking forward to what the company can reshape itself into over the coming months. They've mentioned the two Jeff's are working on hiring and reimaginimg the way they cover things, what they cover. I miss having content every day too, but that's on me to have a more fulfilling life so the absence of a video game commentary video doesn't ruin my afternoon.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thought i was out, but they pulllled me back in!

Its not over till its over.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The site's different, but we'll keep going. I'm fucking loving what Bakalar is bringing to the west coast chemistry, honestly. Jeff's been on fire lately, too. I've been a big fan of Jason since GI, Jan's a really cool dude, and Rorie brings a little bit of chaos to whatever he's a part of.

And Danny's always welcome. If the future is bringing on more collaborations like they're doing with him, I'm looking forward to it.

They'll be fine. The past was great, we'll always have it. Just embrace the change and go with it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

@csl316: Imagine Jason, Jeff, and Jan...sciencing the shit out of some fighting games.

Jan starting at the bottom, climbing his way up to that labcoat.

yyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 4

No, the site isn't going anywhere. However, it is the end of the CBSi era of GiantBomb. Whether or not that's a good thing, time will tell. If you listened to the last Beastcast it is evident that CBSi didn't exactly treat the GBeast crew very well. Here's hoping RV will give GiantBomb the support it really needs.

Yes I'm kind of bummed that there aren't any BIG announcements/changes yet. But be patient, it hasn't even been a month yet.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When did Dan leave? Beginning of 2020?

I'd say there has been plenty of time to hire new people. Since then, FIVE more people have left. And while it's true that it would be unrealistic to expect new hires within a month of Vinny, Alex and Brad leaving, it would have been possible to hire folks some time after Abby and Ben left.

They didn't hire anybody. So I guess it's not unreasonable to consider they might go the freelancer route after all. That's not the worst thing that could happen. The worst thing would be a company / manager forcing them all to continue working from home. That pretty much kills everything GB stood for.

Oh and bless the people talking about GB 'growing'. I truly want to know where to find that kind of optimism.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the most disappointing thing about all this nonsense speculation is how many GB fans are completely oblivious to the wider world of games and games coverage.

Like they think past 1 or 2 famous names, the only options for Giant Bomb now are "Hire hot-tub titty streamers" or "Cease to exist".

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mikachops

@quasiconundrum: This is where I am, the other guys leaving sucked but it felt like the time was right once all was said and done. I’m most interested in what this new era is going to look like.

I’ll also add, considering how cheap premium is relative to the amount of entertainment you get from it, people have an overblown opinion of how much the team should be releasing. They all deserve a break and the space to reset and reflect.

strijd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think its the end but its taking a little getting used to the lack of content lately. Every time I load up the website out of habit to chillout and watch something, I then remember "oh, right I forgtt there's no new content." I still watch the bombcast and upf but its a lot less than what I am used to.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Giant Bomb is already dead. Whatever comes next is basically “Chinese Democracy” and honestly, I don’t think I even care anymore.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It went to shit when Drew left

flamingospit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikachops: This 100%.. People talking about the "value" of the site and such is a bit extreme. I never looked at Giant Bomb as a value or not.. Just as a bunch of dudes I share a similar mind set and personality with, which in my mind is worth supporting. For now, we just need to understand they are producing what they can, but the future of the site is what comes first..

D0rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for my moneys worth yes but I still trust Jeff to deliver on something good in a different way from the giant bomb I know. the last few years of the site weren't the giant bomb that I originally got into but I still liked it anyway

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@rorie: Whatever you announce, I hope it's made loud and clear on the website and not buried in a podcast or off on another site (Gamespot). Frankly, if it wasn't for other people disseminating the info that is available, as a non-Podcast listener but long time Subscriber, I'd have zero clue what was going on.

That gives me more fear for the future of this site than any other changes. That the people that run this site don't seem to use it themselves any more.

Judoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest....sometimes I wish Jeff and the crew just went full Patreon and basically did what MinnMax is doing. I'd gladly pay $5+/month. Hearing the casual absurdity of the Fire Escape Cast and seeing Dan's shenanigans on Twitch makes me miss the days when this site felt less serious.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@nezza: We will do our best! I think we'll be spreading this news far and wide.

DoesJeffLikeIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I didn't even know they had a new staff.

Why is none of this on the site? It's baffling. Can not one of them do a small write-up about this? A paragraph at most. Shit, I would settle for a few sentences.

renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cancelled my sub before Vinny Alex and Brad left. It just wasn't for me anymore. I got older. The west coast was boring, and all I listened to was the Beastcast which I will sorely miss

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's the beginning of a new Era!

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope! Look I get it having Brad, Alex, and Vinny leave was heartbreaking and I have no idea if long term I'll like what the new Giant Bomb is. However looking at the immediate future I'm excited for what's to come. It's cool too me that we get to have Jan, Jason, Rorie, and Jeff B all be able to give their on the spot impressions of E3 announcements as they happen which was something we never got with the old crew. I'm as nervous as the rest as to the future of the site, but Jeff has an amazing crew of people behind him and I'll be here to see what they come up with.

elcidtmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to admit I was a bit shocked to hear the news of the changes- probably more that all 3 announced all at once with just a couple days for us all to process it. Clearly it was tough on Jeff and the rest of the gang as well.

That said, I'm choosing to be optimistic about the future for GB. Still a great core of folks, with opportunities to do new things. Changes take us out of our comfort zone, but can also really rejuvenating. Let's see what our friends come up with.

zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I miss Vinny, Brad, and Alex too, but I am looking forward to the new direction they’ve been talking about. I hope it’s not just that they’re pushing out all the middle-ages gamer dudes to appeal to a younger demo because... I am one of those middle-age gamer dudes.

Gerorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went for years never coming to the site and only listening to the podcast, and I still barely come to the site unless there is a specific feature I'm following like all the MGS runs. And I know throughout the years they've mentioned several times that a sizable portion of fans of GiantBomb only come in contact with the podcast.

This current podcast line up is amazing. I love Jan. And now we actually have both Jeff's on the same show interacting with each other. I thought it would be so hard having Brad leaving the Bombcast and I always like Vinny whichever podcast he was on, but this current line up is as strong as ever. (It's just that we only get one podcast per week now instead of two.)

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Beginning of the end was over 5 years ago. But they'll keep doing stuff in one form or another.