• 58 results
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Nintendo's Japanese Metroid site has updated with a tantalizing teaser image, which...here, take a look.

No Caption Provided
According to news site Cubed3 (via Destructoid), the full text reads "Follow Metroid Prime's history from the perspective of the Space Pirates." Beyond that, there's really nothing else to base speculation on, so there's no way to know if this is even a new game, or some kind of web video series, or who knows what.

I would certainly like for it to be a game. Specifically, a 2D game in the style of Super Metroid or the similar Game Boy Advance sequels. Konami has been doing a good job of scratching the itch for that sort of gameplay on the DS these last few years with the recent Castlevania games like Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow, but I would really, really like to see a new Metroid in that vein. And, you know, that's exactly what the oft-rumored "Metroid Dread" is supposed to be, but both Nintendo and Retro Studios have denied they're doing any such thing.

The Prime games have just about run their course, so I'd be surprised if it's another first-person title. I'll stick with my hopes for 2D action, though come to think of it, a 2D Metroid would be pretty neat on WiiWare too. It'd certainly help legitimize that service for hardcore gamers, too.

What do you think this teaser could be talking about? Which direction would you want to see the Metroid series go in next?
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Nintendo's Japanese Metroid site has updated with a tantalizing teaser image, which...here, take a look.

No Caption Provided
According to news site Cubed3 (via Destructoid), the full text reads "Follow Metroid Prime's history from the perspective of the Space Pirates." Beyond that, there's really nothing else to base speculation on, so there's no way to know if this is even a new game, or some kind of web video series, or who knows what.

I would certainly like for it to be a game. Specifically, a 2D game in the style of Super Metroid or the similar Game Boy Advance sequels. Konami has been doing a good job of scratching the itch for that sort of gameplay on the DS these last few years with the recent Castlevania games like Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow, but I would really, really like to see a new Metroid in that vein. And, you know, that's exactly what the oft-rumored "Metroid Dread" is supposed to be, but both Nintendo and Retro Studios have denied they're doing any such thing.

The Prime games have just about run their course, so I'd be surprised if it's another first-person title. I'll stick with my hopes for 2D action, though come to think of it, a 2D Metroid would be pretty neat on WiiWare too. It'd certainly help legitimize that service for hardcore gamers, too.

What do you think this teaser could be talking about? Which direction would you want to see the Metroid series go in next?
Leviticus128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Leviticus128

a new 2d metroid would be awesome

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Bomberman Act Zero sequel! Hooray!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hatking

I just don't get all the love for 2D games.  I mean they have to do something really unique or cool for me to get into them(Castle Chrashers was good at that).  I would much rather a full 3D adventure game than a side scrolling one.  I'm not saying Metroid has to be a shooter, although that would be the easiest genre to transform the property into, I just prefer deeper games. 

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By ZombiePie

So a Prime game from the perspective of Space Pirates, meaning no Samus? Man that just sounds too weird to be true. I admit that the Prime games have run their course but I just can't convince myself that this is real.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ParanoidFreak
HatKing said:
"I just don't get all the love for 2D games.  I mean they have to do something really unique or cool for me to get into them(Castle Chrashers was good at that).  I would much rather a full 3D adventure game than a side scrolling one.  I'm not saying Metroid has to be a shooter, although that would be the easiest genre to transform the property into, I just prefer deeper games. "
If it's on a system which cannot do 3D shooters very well (DS) I would prefer a 2D shooter.
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FCKSNAP

It's definitely 3D, it could be either Wii-ware or a DS game simply because "side story" is very evocative of something not being a "full production". Probably Metroid: ODST Prime

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

I have been wanting a 2D Metroid for so long that I would just assume this to be another FPS.  Even though I don't like them as much as the regular games, the Prime series is still very much a top seller.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

I sure hope it's a classic style 2D Metriod. I couldn't stand the Prime series at all. Which is quite ironic considering I generally love FPS. I guess it was the Japanese-like controls (also ironic coming from a Texan development studio). I was really hoping the Prime series would be retconned out some how like the FEAR expansions. Now I have to go fucking play them just to be in on everything. Damn you Nintendo!

EDIT: And 3D versus 2D has absolutely no impact on depth. Didn't this argument die off in 1999-2000 once the leap was made?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

I also hope this game is 2D.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Gregomasta

I'm feeling a Bionic Commando: Rearmed "2D" view with 3D model type of THANG brad, I hope that we're on the same level here.  I can see this nicely on DS or Wii, hopefully both.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Endogene
ParanoidFreak said:
"HatKing said:
"I just don't get all the love for 2D games.  I mean they have to do something really unique or cool for me to get into them(Castle Chrashers was good at that).  I would much rather a full 3D adventure game than a side scrolling one.  I'm not saying Metroid has to be a shooter, although that would be the easiest genre to transform the property into, I just prefer deeper games. "
If it's on a system which cannot do 3D shooters very well (DS) I would prefer a 2D shooter."

Metroid Prime Hunters

People say it is pretty good i hear.

I would prefer something more slower paced myself than a shooter.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By TheHBK

I think a FPS metroid would be good.  I guess Metroid Gaiden?  Told from the Space Pirate side?  I would not be surprised if Samus has little to nothing to do with this game, maybe a story about the space pirates from before the first metroid game?

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ParanoidFreak
Endogene said:
"ParanoidFreak said:
"HatKing said:

Metroid Prime Hunters

People say it is pretty good i hear.

I would prefer something more slower paced myself than a shooter.

"
It was alright, it wasn't as good as other metroid games. The main problem I had was the awful controls (wrist cramps). It was an awkward way to hold the DS.
tharobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tharobc

I just wet my pants slightly at the thought of a "proper" metroid sidescroller. shnarf!!!!!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Watch it be a novel or something. I dunno. Space pirates? Did I read that correctly? Well space pirates=me is in.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

it'll be the highly anticipated metroid cereal. 

truebornracer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By truebornracer

Personally I think a well put together oldschool Metroid RPG could work really well, Final Fantasy Metroid. After all, Metroid has a pretty steep history in terms of fiction.

Avatar image for chairmanrapeape
CHAIRMANRAPEAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CHAIRMANRAPEAPE

Enough with the first person games. It was a fun diversion, but Metroid is all about the side scrollers. Don't make me wait another 7 years for one. Hell, remake Super Metroid or Metroid II for DS. That would keep me busy.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac

If you guys go to www.metroid.com, you'll see 4 games listed, with room for a 5th on the right. It's definitely coming.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22  Edited By DrRandle

Pretty big fan of the Metroid games in recent years so I really couldn't care what it is. I'll take it, check please!

Hopefully it's Dread for the DS, or a wii-ware game that's essentially the size of Metroid Fusion/Super metroid but with pretty graphics.

Also, hooray for the Metroid Primes remakes for Wii! Now I have a good excuse to play those games again, and in wide screen!

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rio

if its another prime style game I couldnt care less about it.   Give me a 3d stylized side-scrolling metroid game and you have my attention.  Although..... I traded in my wii so I will have to use a buddies to play it if it turns out interesting.

Jarlaxle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jarlaxle

I would die for a 2-D,  Super Metroid on the Wii-Ware or put it straight on the Wii disc.  I would totally buy that in a heartbeat.  They could even legitimize it buy calling it Metroid 5 (and call of all Prime as Metroid 4).

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheFreeMan

I want another Metroid game (preferably 2D) that continues the story.

So, "Follow Metroid Prime from the perspective of the Space Pirates" doesn't appeal to me as much as it should. Playing as a Space Pirate sounds like it would be boring compared to a standard Metroid game. Oh well, I'll still play it.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Black_Rose

I'm not sure if i'm completely interested in the concept of playing as a space pirate, but I love Metroid and i'm sure anything that it is, it's going to be great.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Afroman269

Whats with the prime haters? I loved those games but I would prefer a continuation not some side story.

i2v2nr20i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By i2v2nr20i

Metroid Prime History. It says it in katakana. I'm not certain on the kanji in the center but it says : SUPEESU PAIREETSU *kanji kanji kanji* METUROIDO PURAIMU HISUTORI, aka Space Pirates, Metroid Prime History.

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RawShark

I've all but given up on a new 2D Metroid game. It was great when Nintendo entertained the idea of releasing 2D and 3D Metroid games with equal bearing on the universe - Fusion and Zero Mission are as key to Metroid as Prime 1, 2 or 3. Since Prime has come to DS with Hunters (which was good), and that abysmal pinball game, I'm kind of sad that there doesn't seem to be the possibility of a 2D game. I really hope this turns out to be a 2.5D DS Metroid or something. Even if I have to play as a Space Pirate (dunno how well that'll work =/).

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't want to really play as a space pirate, but I would love to have a 2D Metroid again. Anything that is in the vein of Super Metroid would be great. And Brad made a good point that putting this on WiiWare would make it the most significant title yet. I like these ideas :)

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By makari

Well, Nintendo sorta did dig itself into a hole with Fusion, the last in the Metroid timeline. Anything made about her after that game will have to be without using Samus as a sex symbol, which, ironically, is an iconic part of the reward for finishing the games in the series. Playing as a Space Pirate would offer a much different dynamic than playing as Samus if it does turn out to be a first person game, and the lore in the Prime games suggest a narrative from the eyes of the Space Pirates would be pretty interesting. I wouldn't say no to 2D Metroid, but shoehorning a Space Pirate sprite into a 2D Metroid style game doesn't seem as interesting somehow.

Kowalski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kowalski

I love both Metroid 2d and 3d games. The MP games are my favorites from the last generation (I could MP3 as last generation) but I also love the 2d Metroid games. I would love Metroid Dread for DS and a new Metroid 3d game down the line.  On the other hand I'd like to see what Retro is doing outside of the Metroid franchise. Whatever they do, it's all good.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fishinwithguns

I would hate to get my hopes up, Nintendo can disappoint sometimes.  Honestly I've never played any of the Metroid Prime games, but they looked awesome to me.  I really don't know why I never played them, I still think Super Metroid is one of the best games ever, and I recently played through it again...which was about 10 times as much fun as I had playing Gears 2.

I can't say I'd prefer 3D over 2D, but that's only because I haven't played any 3D Metroid games, but I heard they translated well.  I'm not overzealous about going back to 2D either.  Yet it would be cool if they pulled a Megaman 9 and released a downloadable sequel of sorts to Super Metroid with SNES graphics, or recreated the original game itself in some way.  I like the idea of a series moving forward, especially in this case, because I don't know how anyone could top Super Metroid, even Nintendo themselves.

I think the only reason I haven't played the Prime series is because I stopped buying Nintendo consoles after N64.  No particular reason, I just felt that Nintendo would continue marketing to kids and would leave me in the dust...but recently I started playing DS.  If they do release a new game, and it's for the Wii and not DS, then dammit I might have to get a Wii...I'm not being left out of my favorite franchises again.

Silverevilchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Silverevilchao

We need a Metroid 5.

We don't need more spinoffs, dammit! Resolve that freaking cliffhanger Metroid Fusion ended on already!

unclejohn0525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By unclejohn0525

I could definitely go for a new 2D Metroid. Haven't had one on DS.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By albedos_shadow

Metroid Dread, please!

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MacGyver

this is going to be a game. u can tell if you go to the site

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dalai

I would saw off my right leg to play a new 2D Metroid game, speedrunning and all.  I love the Prime series, but it's time to lose a dimension for now.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By atejas

Metroid Prime from the perspective of a space pirate?
That would involve hiding for several hours until Samus shows up, and then jumping down and dying in 5 seconds.

Honestly, I hear rumours that it's nothing but a bunch of text messages/videos that chronicle the Space Pirates' actions and PoV during Prime.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It could just be the Wii redux's of Metroid Prime 1& 2 their alluding to. Difficult to say.

Erdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Erdie

I don't like the Prime games.  No need to flame me, I just don't like them.  I'd buy a 2D Metroid, though.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By clarke0

The simple mention of a new Metroid game makes me uncomfortably excited. Metroid Dread needs to happen!

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fishinwithguns

@MacGyver:

How can you tell by the site that it's going to be a game?  Just because there's space to the right of Hunters doesn't mean anything...and besides, Metroid Prime 3 is prominently displayed above it.  I'm just saying don't get your hopes up, just reading this post has made me feel like speculating forever about what it could be, but it could very possibly be nothing worth noting.  I think Nintendo will be quiet about it, if it is anything.  If you remember, they hardly even advertised Prime 3.  I dunno...dammit Nintendo, give us something we can use...please.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Junpei

My hunch is that it would be a game. Plus if it's a game taking place concurrently with Prime but from the Pirates perspective I wouldn't be surprised if it were first person. Though if you were playing as a pirate I'd get pretty bored waiting for the good guy to show up and kill me.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45  Edited By Black_Rose
RawShark said:
"I've all but given up on a new 2D Metroid game. It was great when Nintendo entertained the idea of releasing 2D and 3D Metroid games with equal bearing on the universe - Fusion and Zero Mission are as key to Metroid as Prime 1, 2 or 3. Since Prime has come to DS with Hunters (which was good), and that abysmal pinball game, I'm kind of sad that there doesn't seem to be the possibility of a 2D game. I really hope this turns out to be a 2.5D DS Metroid or something. Even if I have to play as a Space Pirate (dunno how well that'll work =/)."
Abysmal? Metroid Prime Pinball was better than Hunters.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Claude

It's prime time to do 2D again.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zityz

Prime was cool, prime 2.. meh I never bothered with prime 3, I'm done with metriod until I can get a 3d sidescrolling metriod.

MocPac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MocPac

Play as the Space Pirates eh?  I'll be looking forward to that.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By papercut

kinda looks  like a geth, but ill eat a shoe if it is.

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Nets

I haven't played my Wii in roughly half a year, and a 3D Metroid game for the system would change that all!