Is Tomb Raider Game of the Year so far?

• 161 results
axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Tomb Raider Game of the Year so far? (532 votes)

Yes 7%
No 93%
Yes, the Bomb Crew was wrong 4%

I was so impressed by the end Tomb Raider, that it has me thinking its a favorite for Game of the Year. It's the most fun and impressive game I've played this year, including Bioshock Infinite. Anyone else feel the Bomb Crew was a little off in their analysis of this game? I thought Crystal Dynamics did a great job throughout the game portraying Lara as a scared young woman coming into her own and emerging a new person.

• 
Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#101  Edited By Mnemoidian

Not for me. But I think it's ok that you think so.

Personally, right now, it's between Bioshock Infinite and Remember Me, for me. Really liked both games - both visual and story are really strong with both of them. Unfortunately, they are bogged down by their game mechanics.

Of course, my opinion is probably invalidated because I hate the guts out of The Last of Us. :P

I do think we've gotten a large amount of really cool games this year though, even if I wouldn't put them in my "Game of the Year" list straight out - stuff like MGR:Revengeance, Antichamber, Dead Space 3, Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, and a bunch of other stuff.

Basically, it's a good year to be a gamer, despite it feeling like the industry is kind of holding it's breath, waiting for the new consoles.

Edit: Also, of course, I've spent an insane amount of hours playing Warframe this year. Mechanically, it's just so good.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By Anund

No, it's not. Not since The Last of Us was released. For me, it's a close second so far. We'll see what Rome II: Total War can do to change that.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It's between Last of Us and Infinite, and I have to imagine that GTA will be the other big name in the running at the end of the year.

Also, why do so many people talk about Infinite's gameplay like it was trash or something? I really enjoyed playing that game. I thought the combat was satisfying and fun - and the vigors were useful also, even though narrative wise they probably didn't need to be there.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#105  Edited By rjayb89

I certainly had more fun with that game than any of the Uncharted games considering their exotic settings and some rote supernatural mystery that we have to blunder into, especially in regards to collectibles and just shooting stuff (though that may be because I used a 360 gamepad instead) as those types of games are apt to do.

Maybe if it had been released in any of those games' respective release years, it'd be up there. I can't say it could be this year's top game with Fire Emblem: Awakening in the way.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, great game but I prefer The Last of Us. And anyway, a Grand Theft Auto game is coming out this year so...

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not in a year where we have Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, GTAV, Watch Dogs and Beyond (a title I'm personally really looking forward to). I think Infinite and Last of Us are a lot better than Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider was fun but there was some dumb stuff in there and it's not a memorable game in general.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

What's with the incredibly general, blanket statement? There is no universal Game of the Year. It's hard enough to get a room of 5 or 6 men to agree on a game. Stop using this kind of language.

I absolutely loved Tomb Raider though. Bioshock too.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

I'm not going to read this having not played Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, or The Last Of Us. But I am about to rectify the former as Tomb Raider is on sale for PC on Amazon today for $17, so anyone who hasn't had a chance yet, not going to get a better deal than this probably until Black Friday.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like Tomb Raider more than The Last of Us. I also think it's the better game.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#111  Edited By lightsoda

Off the top of my head, yes, maybe. I don't understand all the praise for Bioshock: Infinite, I enjoyed maybe 30% of that game, the rest was a fucking grind.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

lol no. Tomb Raider's fine, but it's got nothing on The Last of Us -- from both a gameplay and narrative perspective.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Not even close. Tomb Raider is a damn fine game, but the standard this year has already been amazingly high and we haven't even reached the holidays yet! D:

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Nope. It's currently in my top 2 (behind Bioshock - note: I haven't played any of the PS3 exclusives and haven't finished Fire Emblem). Interesting to see where it ends up in my list after games such as GTA and watch_dogs come out.

This is what my GOTY list is looking like so far this year http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/lumley/lists/goty-2013-contenders/83911

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a great game and in my top 5 for sure, just not GOTY material.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#116  Edited By fox01313

While I think it's a fun game & a good entry in the TR franchise, it's certainly not the best game of the year as that's a rather subjective term. For some it will be but others not so much, time for figuring out the GOTY stuff is better left for November when most of the releases have been out.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#117  Edited By MildMolasses

It is for me. I had a blast playing that game, which is something that I can't say about Bioshock or The Last of Us. Both of those games had wonderfully crafted characters and worlds, but they were both a bit of a slog to get through. However, I enjoyed every second of combat and traversal in Tomb Raider, and ultimately that makes it the better game for me

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

It's a really good game, and yeah, it's probably more fun to play than Bioshock Infinite. However, story always wins over for me, and with Infinite and Last of Us in the fold... Tomb Raider really has nothing on them.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Tomb Raider is my favorite so far, I'm only halfway through Last of Us right now but it's been a disappointment; I am hopeful it ends well.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#120  Edited By GunstarRed

No, but it is one of the best games to have come out this year. The Last of Us and Bioshock are miles ahead of the competition though.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I really need to play Tomb Raider. The Last of Us was pretty damn awesome though. BioShock Infinite was cool, but it wouldn't top The Last of Us. Lots of good games coming out too. Got my work cut out for me.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#122  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

It's definitely up there for me. Really excellent game. So far Company of Heroes 2 is closest to TR among my personal favorites. But I still need to give the ToW mode a try and observe the developiong DLC situation before I come to a final conclusion about that game. I'll be surprised if both of those games won't be leading the pack for me when the year ends. We'll see though.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Having played Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and The Last of Us, I honestly have to say that the best time I had with a game this year was with Tomb Raider.

Maybe it's due in part to the fact that I had zero expectations of it nad picked it up on a whim but I thought it looked and played fantastically. The story, for what it was, was fine and servicable and I thought all of the cutscenes were well produced and voiced.

This is not a slight on Bioshock or TLOU, both of which were fantastic. TLOU didn't hit me as hard as it has other people, and would be probably 3rd on my personal GOTY list. Amazingly it may slip further when GTAV, Total War: Rome 2 and Civ V: Brave New World come out (though I don't actually want to pre-empt anything). I believe Watch Dogs is also this year? And I haven't played Metro yet.

Tomb Raider won't be winning any GOTY awards, and I get that, but at the moment it's my #1

Very nice answer! No one is doubting how brilliant of a job Naughty Dog did this time around but in the end, it just comes down to personal preference. Personally, my game of the year lies with Metro: Last Light and DmC. Obviously, many won't agree with me but I had severe amount of fun with those two titles.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not played enough of either to make a concrete decision, but it' between Metro: LL and Wargame Airland Battle for me. But then we'll have EU4 andEast vs West later in the year.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I'd say it has won the Platformer of the Year award hands down. Outclassed Uncharted in every way pretty much - only thing they could have done more was to have Nolan North voice Lara but that would've been just awkward.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Last of Us will beat it out, because apparently being cinematic is more important than having good gameplay.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm playing through last of us now, so I won't say it's better yet, but Bioshock was a lot better than Tomb Raider.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I haven't played Last of Us but I did play Bioshock Infinite and I'd take Tomb Raider over that, so I voted yes.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Outside a good presentation, I didn't like Tomb Raider at all.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By EXTomar

*shrug* It would seem to me that Tomb Raider and The Last of Us have "game play glitches" that fans of both are conveniently ignoring in a rush to praise.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

*shrug* It would seem to me that Tomb Raider and The Last of Us have "game play glitches" that fans of both are conveniently ignoring in a rush to praise.

I played The Last of Us. What are the game play glitches you speak of?

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA is on it's way but we are all forgetting that Beyond: Two Souls is also comming out and that might be great too.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By MildMolasses

@extomar said:

Such as? I don't remember experiencing anything like that. And I can't hold things against the game if I didn't experience them

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#134  Edited By mclargepants

@deathbywaffle said:

It's between Last of Us and Infinite, and I have to imagine that GTA will be the other big name in the running at the end of the year.

Also, why do so many people talk about Infinite's gameplay like it was trash or something? I really enjoyed playing that game. I thought the combat was satisfying and fun - and the vigors were useful also, even though narrative wise they probably didn't need to be there.

I wouldn't say Bioshock: Infinite had bad gameplay, but I think the Bioshock brand attracts more than typical FPS fans, however, it plays like a typical FPS. Obviously, I can only speak to myself, but I'm not a huge fan of that type of gameplay but I played Bioshock: Infinite for the story and world. So I was definitely one of the people who was saying I'd enjoy the game with different or no combat, but the FPS fans I've talked to really dug on the combat, so I'd say like most things, it's all about taste.

For The Last of Us, however, Third Person Action/Stealth is my jam, so I enjoyed the crap out of that game in every way.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@extomar said:

The Last of Us had wonky AI, friendly and enemy, but it didn't effect the overall experience. Tomb Raider was rock solid throughout.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Bioshock Infinite is the game of the year, thread/

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@extomar said:

The Last of Us had wonky AI, friendly and enemy, but it didn't effect the overall experience. Tomb Raider was rock solid throughout.

More of a necessary evil, but now I see what people mean. Damn, really need to play Tomb Raider. Does it play well on the PC? If so, that's the ticket.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#138  Edited By JasonR86

@claude said:

@jasonr86 said:

@extomar said:

More of a necessary evil, but now I see what people mean. Damn, really need to play Tomb Raider. Does it play well on the PC? If so, that's the ticket.

As far as I've heard that's the place to play it. The port was handled by the team that did Deus Ex HR on the PC and they did good work there. But you'll need a pretty hefty PC to make it look better and run smoother then the console versions.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider was fun, but I can't see Giant Bomb giving it Game of the Year. Brad, Vinny and Patrick might put it on their personal lists but that's all. Right now I can see them giving the award to Bioshock: Infinite just because it's the one game I can think of that all of them have played and really enjoyed so far this year. I can see GTA 5 and being a contender, too.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: Thanks man. I think I'll buy it the next chance I get on the PC.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn good game, but The Last of Us currently holds my GOTY spot for this year.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Fun game no denying that but it hasn't stuck with me like The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. Plus we've still got GTAV and Watch_Dogs still to come.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Klei

Tomb Raider was excellent, but The Last of Us is something else. It's one step closer to the kind of games we'll play in a couple of years. Tomb Raider, on the other hand, is built on Batman: Arkham Asylum/City's blueprint, which also feels very '' videogamy''. It's not a bad thing, since I love those games, but Last of Us felt more like an interactive experience with a game connected to it. A bit like MGS4, but at least you play more than you watch cinematics.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to be The Last of Us, well between The Last of Us and Bioshock: Infinite. I should try Tomb Raider but I don't think I'm gonna pick it over The Last of Us for game of the year.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be happy if either Bioshock Inifinite or The Last of Us won out at this point. I really enjoyed the setting, acting, writing, and visual style of both. I enjoyed Bioshock's gameplay more, but I could easily see someone picking the Last of Us over Bioshock.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Last of Us is GOTY, followed fairly distantly by Bioshock Infinite which then in turn is closely followed by Tomb Raider. As of right now at least. I have a feeling that GTA V will squeeze on in between Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite for second and Saints Row is going to be behind Tomb Raider. All in my opinion.

I don't see anything surpassing Last of Us. I don't see Saints Row doing it. I don't even see GTA V doing it. And it really bugs me that a few of the GiantBomb guys are fucking the dog during the summer drought in not playing it just because they don't want to feel bad. It's going to be the same thing as last year with Brad and ME3 where their opinion will probably be jaded because of the delay. Either they'll shit themselves over how awesome it is, which is doubtful in this instance, or they'll have it so over-hyped that NOTHING would ever be able to stand up to the pressure.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it might be a contender until Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us came out and crapped all over it. Still a great game, just not great enough.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last of Us had such a depressing and dark plot that I had to struggle through. I would see what was coming and want to turn the PS3 off.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By AiurFlux

@corvak said:

Last of Us had such a depressing and dark plot that I had to struggle through. I would see what was coming and want to turn the PS3 off.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing though? I like the fact that there isn't a happy go lucky ending and it made you feel like shit. I'm sick of good triumphing over evil. I'd like there to be a bad guy in a movie that gets away with a cocky smirk on his face. I'd like a selfish piece of shit that dooms others because of his own greed because it's human nature. I'd like for somebody to scream for help and get ignored because of the bystander effect. I'd like it to be a bit more honest. Good doesn't always triumph over evil and sometimes the wrong result is actually the right result in terms of impacting an audience.

The fact that people still talk about it and still kind of feel shitty about it proves that Last of Us worked. For all the bad that happened it impacted people and made them question their own morality even.

Otleaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Otleaz

Infinite was so bland though. It lacked any innovation, was way too easy, and had mediocre combat more suited to the "filler" combat you see in interactive movie games. The only interesting part was the story and even that was too weird to give it any real merit.

Either way, this year has been a crapfest so far, but I'm guessing goty will go to Dota2 since it is launching this year.

@aiurflux said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing though? I like the fact that there isn't a happy go lucky ending and it made you feel like shit. I'm sick of good triumphing over evil. I'd like there to be a bad guy in a movie that gets away with a cocky smirk on his face. I'd like a selfish piece of shit that dooms others because of his own greed because it's human nature. I'd like for somebody to scream for help and get ignored because of the bystander effect. I'd like it to be a bit more honest. Good doesn't always triumph over evil and sometimes the wrong result is actually the right result in terms of impacting an audience.

The fact that people still talk about it and still kind of feel shitty about it proves that Last of Us worked. For all the bad that happened it impacted people and made them question their own morality even.

I agree that it is impressive they have managed to last 3 weeks weeks without being forgotten, but I can guarantee you that in another month the only time The Last of Us will get brought up is when someone asks what the GOTY will be and everyone needs to say what they think everyone else will say.

The only reason I would give The Last of Us GOTY currently is because the last 6 months have been utter crap. I would give it an overhyped/10