Is Xbox Live worth renewing?

bshirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 126

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bshirk

I have both a 360 and PS3, but I hardly ever play online anymore. I mostly played Halo titles and a little Modern Warfare 2, but I'm not aware of any big multiplayer titles coming out this year other than Gears 3 and Modern Warfare 3 (neither of which I care much about). Do you think it's worth renewing, or should I just play online games on PS3?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

I won't be. It feels...weird.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PhilESkyline

Depends on some factors.

1. Where are most of your buddies playing?

2. What games do you play online most times and for what system. 

3. Can you afford to renew XBL? Newegg and Amazon have some cheap 12 month cards.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I've been wanting to play Mortal Kombat online... so I know I'll be renewing.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

i would say don't. i stopped buying xbox live after getting a ps3. i now play ps3 online. i think the only difference between psn and live is it doesn't have party chat.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By crusader8463

no    

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I like a lot of arcade games, the deals I get by having gold are generally worth it even if I'm not playing online heavily that month.
Depends on how often you take advantage of the DOTW

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates

I certainly will be as you never know which arcade games will have strong multiplayer components, and there's also the string of fighting games that make it really slick (see MvC3, Mortal Kombat.) I haven't had issues with lag except against really problematic opponents, either.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By bed

if you barely play online, i see almost no reason to renew it. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

If you're debating it, then I would assume you don't really care for it, so no. I mean, if it was a really important thing to you, you wouldn't even be asking the community this question.

bshirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 126

#12  Edited By bshirk

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I probably won't be renewing.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Y@bshirk said:

" Thanks for all the advice, guys. I probably won't be renewing. "
Yeah I envy you PSN people. Xbox live is totally a rip. Heres hoping the next gen consoles have free multiplayer
pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pabsi9

Yes but get renew codes from amazon....sometimes $20 cheaper than xbox

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
Why do threads like this exist? In your case? If you want to pay online, play online. If you don't, don't. There is nothing more to it, and you shouldn't need help with that decision.
@Starfishhunter9 said:
" Y@bshirk said:
Yeah I envy you PSN people. Xbox live is totally a rip. Heres hoping the next gen consoles have free multiplayer "
Bullshit. XBL is a MUCH better service because of the price. XBLA is an awesome library of games, the demos are far more frequent and numerous, things like party chat, text chat, MSN IM, major updates to the core system OS, Netflix, Zune marketplace (which does better at getting recent videos than Netflix, and the quality/speed is great. PSN is great too, and PSN+ has some awesome bonuses, but the CORE service is better on XBL, and that is absolutely because of the very slim fee (less than $5 a month or whatever it is) that people pay. I am glad to pay for it. Just like I'm happy to pay for my WM subscription. Good shit is worth spending money on.
fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fourby

I stopped renewing mine a little over a year ago now, and the only thing that's made me even think of going back since is Halo: Reach, which I still regret not playing. What really kept me from going back for it was the fact that it was a 60$ game on top of a 50$ Live card (cause fuck not getting the most for my money, and I would have played that for well over a year online easily),  it was just too big an investment at the time. PSN has always served me well since then, as long as we don't count this last week.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Anund
@TheSpartanDon: You said it man, six days. I'll still take six days of downtime every 5 years or so and play online for free to be honest. I have both a PS3 and a 360 and I have only ever paid for 1 month (knowingly) of Gold, to play Left for Dead with some friends. That experience means I will never do so again. 
I didn't know it was a recurring fee when you paid using a credit card so I accidentally let it run for 3 months before noticing. So I try to cancel it. You couldn't, not on the machine, not even on the website. I had to call support to cancel my subscription. When I questioned why I had to cancel my subscription over the phone they claimed it was for "security reasons". Oh really? So to start my subscription I just have to hit a button a few times, but to stop giving them money I have to call support, wait in line and actually do it over the phone? That's BS overload. You know why it's harder to close a subscription than opening one, I know why and they sure as heck do too.

And don't even get me started on the points system where things cost 400, 800 or 1200 points but you can only buy 500, 1000 or 2000 points worth at a time. Why do they do that you think?

Nice controller though.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McGhee

LOL PSN is fucked at the moment. I can't even watch Netflix. PSN is free, but you get what you pay for.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I'd keep Xbox Live, it's not a huge expense and you never know when a gem like NFS: Hot Pursuit will turn up.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PizzaSauce

I'd just leave it. If you  aren't online gaming that much at the moment, its probably a waste of money. You can always play online on PSN (no jokes please!) or just renew xbox on a one month subscription or something if you change your mind.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
"PSN is free, but you get what you pay for. "
This.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By RichardLOlson

I think it is, I mean I play as much as I can on XBL, even though I work a ton of hours.  I love my Xbox and do have a fanboyism of Microsoft.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phish09

yes.  Well worth the $5 a month, if only for the cross game voice chat. 

If you have friends on XBL, I'd say do it.  If not, and you don't play multiplayer games maybe not, but still they have all these great deals on XBLA games for Gold members too, so I bet I've saved close to $30 in the past year on games and addons because of it, so when you factor that in, I probably paid $10 for a Gold sub last year.  Just keep your ear to the ground for deals on memberships; they really aren't hard to come by. 

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OmegaPirate

remember kids! it's cool to make light of Psn currently being down and then promote the reliability of xbox live, whilst conveniently forgetting live being down for 2 straight weeks back in 2008 - so short of 1 day of downtime last year, the ps3 still has 1 week and a day worth of value - and no subscription cost - over live.

That said, i personally get a great deal of enjoyment out of live, subscriptions due up on the 10th, and a cheaper than live offers 12 month card will be purchased!
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@TheSpartanDon said:
" @hckling: Don't understand why my post warranted a lecture about 'cancelling xbox live subscriptions'. Yeah, the whole auto-renew is BS and Microsoft's 'funny money' currency is stupid. 

But Xbox Live is a undeniably better service than the PSN. Party Chat, Better Interface, Secure and hey, it actually works. At least Microsoft makes some attempt in protecting your credit card details. 

I don't know whether you heard, but PSN just got hacked. And my credit card details, a long with millions of others could be compromised. Sony seem to lack the decency to just say 'hey guys, your card details are safe.' Or just come out and say 'Yeah, your details may be in the wrong hands.'

I was simply responding to the dude to said he 'envied PSN', which given recent events is the most stupidest comment ever...of all time.
"
It actually works. Yeah. Except for that one time in 2008 when it went down for 13 days. And all you got in return is that shitty Undertow game. I'm not a fanboy of either online service, I just don't like it when people post absolute bullshit.
phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By phish09
@OmegaPirate:   XBL was never down for two weeks straight in 2008.  It sporadically cut in and out at times for two weeks, but you could still get into online matches, use XBLA, use crossgame chat and all the other XBL features.  It just sometimes booted you from games, and hell I've had that happen to me on PSN and XBL over the years regardless of how smooth the services are running.  MS did compensate people for this mind you, but it was not down for an solid period of time like PSN has been for the last week, nor has anyone ever not been able to access Xbox live at all for a week in the history of the 360. 
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OmegaPirate
@phish09 said:
" @OmegaPirate:   XBL was never down for two weeks straight in 2008.  It sporadically cut in and out at times for two weeks, but you could still get into online matches, use XBLA, use crossgame chat and all the other XBL features.  It just sometimes booted you from games, and hell I've had that happen to me on PSN and XBL over the years regardless of how smooth the services are running.  MS did compensate people for this mind you, but it was not down for an solid period of time like PSN has been for the last week, nor has anyone ever not been able to access Xbox live at all for a week in the history of the 360.  "
In which case i have been misinformed (i myself did not get a 360 til 2009) though a 360 owning friend told me this was similar to what happened to live back then!
Thanks for stepping in before i made too much a prat of myself :D
Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Anund
@TheSpartanDon: @TheSpartanDon said:
" @hckling: Don't understand why my post warranted a lecture about 'cancelling xbox live subscriptions'. Yeah, the whole auto-renew is BS and Microsoft's 'funny money' currency is stupid. 

But Xbox Live is a undeniably better service than the PSN. Party Chat, Better Interface, Secure and hey, it actually works. At least Microsoft makes some attempt in protecting your credit card details. 

I don't know whether you heard, but PSN just got hacked. And my credit card details, a long with millions of others could be compromised. Sony seem to lack the decency to just say 'hey guys, your card details are safe.' Or just come out and say 'Yeah, your details may be in the wrong hands.'

I was simply responding to the dude to said he 'envied PSN', which given recent events is the most stupidest comment ever...of all time.
"
The whole thing wasn't directed at you personally, really just the first couple of sentences, the rest was more a description of my (crappy) experiences with what you call an "undeniably better service". I disagree, the drawbacks far outweigh the advantages. I prefer PSN and would never buy a game I am interested in playing online on the 360.
Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Choffy
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" LOL PSN is fucked at the moment. I can't even watch Netflix. PSN is free, but you get what you pay for. "
Umm... yes you can...
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss

It depends on if you actually use it or not.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By Yanngc33

Yes

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By FreakAche

Do your friends play Xbox Live?

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kandycane2029

Totally. But like others have said, it really depends on what your friends are playing. All my friends are on Live and we play together all the time, so it makes perfect sense for me to renew yearly.

1000shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 1000shoes
@TheSpartanDon: damn, you mad. But I guess you have to get in the trolling while you can. XBL and PSN are both good services, one is not  'undeniably ' better than the other.

anyways,
 @bshirk: I was in the same boat as you and like everyone else has been saying: don't renew. You won't miss it because you only seem to be interested in those two games and you won't feel obligated to play them because you put money down.
1000shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 1000shoes
@TheSpartanDon: no, you prefer the service of trolling. Whatever makes you happy I guess. I'm going to go enjoy both of these systems, you can keep being a fanboy.

Im going to leave it at that and let things get back on topic.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@TheSpartanDon I haven't seen Xbox >>>>>> Playstion arguments since the Gamespot days. Don't let this come back now.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MisterChief

PS3: It Only Does Identify Theft.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By canucks23
@TheSpartanDon said:
" @Starfishhunter9 said:
" Y@bshirk said:
Yeah I envy you PSN people. Xbox live is totally a rip. Heres hoping the next gen consoles have free multiplayer "
You envy PSN...which has currently been down for 6 days now and still counting.

This is why we pay for Xbox Live.
"
6 extra days of live isn't worth $60 to me personally... but then again i don't play games online everyday.
1000shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 1000shoes
@TheSpartanDon: holy delusional batman, when did I say PSN was better than XBL and that I prefer it because theres no monthly fee? I straight up said they're both good services.

and yes, you ARE trying to start a console war, the topic reads:  " Is Xbox Live worth renewing?" and yet, in three pages, you havent even bothered to answer his question. You've done nothing but praise XBL and put down PSN.
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By louiedog

Check your dashboard. When you're about to run out there are usually offers to keep you subscribing for cheap. If you really don't think you'll use it just let it lapse. There are also offers for silver members like $10 for 3 months. In the fall when there are some multiplayer games you're interested in keep an eye out for one of those.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By penguindust

No, I tired to cancel mine last November and they still renewed it for another year.  If you're on autopay make sure you call them and speak to someone to cancel your account 'cause they'll hit you again.   

I have no desire to spend hours shootin' or being shot on the same three maps over and over again anymore, so I find 90% of the games that use online useless. 
1000shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 1000shoes
@TheSpartanDon said:

" @1000shoes: All I did was reply to someone's post and told him that I pretty much disagreed with him. At no point, did you need to give a lecture on the payment methods of Xbox Live, let alone a comment at all. Also if you read my original reply to you, I pretty much agreed with your gripes about Live.

"
I could say the exact same thing to you. Why are you allowed to disagree with someone and I am not? lol
here watch:
 All I did was reply to your post and tell you that I pretty much disagree with you. At no point, did you need to give a lecture on the payment methods of Xbox Live, let alone a comment at all. Also if you read my original reply to you, I pretty much agreed with your gripes about Live.    

Also, you're the one lecturing everyone in here why XBL is soo much better than PSN, even if its just singleplayer lol. This blows my mind how a Silver account XBL is somehow still better than a free PSN account that isnt feature gimped and can play online.

And why do you keep bringing up all this payment talk? In no way did I say anything bad about XBL and I didnt even bring up PSN until you did. Plus, this isnt a debate of XBL or PSN, we can all assume he's already using PSN because it's already free, why would he need to chose between the two services? His question is whether or not to renew XBL, that's it.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Caligula

yes XBLA has proven itself worth the money.

you get what you pay for... looking at PSN.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By JoeyRavn
rojano17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rojano17

If you own a PS3 i guess it just comes down to are you willing to pay 50 bucks a year to play 360 exclusives online? I haven't paid for live for around 6 months now, don't really miss it, i usually just play Gears of War Horde mode via LAN with friends and local SF4/ MK

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Wolverine

I subscribe to Xbox Live, but I understand why your considering not renewing. I'm tired of getting charged for things if I want to use them on my television rather than on my computer. Online gaming is free on the PC, so why is it $60 a year on Xbox Live? Why must I pay $8 a month to watch Hulu content on my television when it is free on my computer?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Daveyo520

I do for netflix. I wish it was free, but while it is not I will pay.