Isn´t language important to play baseball?

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kingclaw

I don´t known much about baseball or the major leagues, but last year I was watching the last game of the world series and saw this asian dude who win an award to the most important player of the series  giving his speach with the help of a translator, because it seems he coudnt speak english.
And today saw this trailer with two basebal payers?  talking in spanish for a commercial of an american game  
So, If there is in GB someone that knows more about this sport than me. could you please solve this mistery?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

Perhaps they're good baseball players?

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kingclaw
@extremeradical: But don´t they need comunication with the team?, you know plannig game strategies, talking to the coach and that sport stuff?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

He probably speaks decent enough english to be able to talk to his team mates & coaches, but not to the media. You have to remember that the media will pick up on anything that he says, so he could say something negative accidentally that he doesn't actually mean, and the media will go crazy over it. 

Fabio Capello (the manager of the England national football team) spoke his native Italian to the press when he first started the job for that very reason. He didn't want to say something he didn't really mean, and have the press go crazy over it. He could communicate with the players fine, but he wasn't confident enough with his english to speak to the media. He speaks in english to the press fine now that he has more experience with the language.

aylien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By aylien

Well, wouldn't be a problem in this league. ;)

But seriously, what extremeradical said.
I'm guessing these baseball players were chosen on their ability to play baseball. 

And well, if that "asian dude" is doing well enough to an award for being the most important player, just maybe language isn't that big an issue?

aylien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aylien
@kingclaw: True, if the non-english speaking players spoke in english, it'd probably help.
But if speaking english was the most important trait for a baseball player, baseball teams would be filled with english-speaking actors or politicians (shudder).
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@kingclaw: For the most part all the commands for baseball are in english no matter where its played,. Unlike soccer with a GOAL is a GOL, or Nil = 0. In baseball a out is out and strike is no matter where you go. I hope that answers your questiong...
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

The calls in baseball are simple enough for anybody to understand. Strike, out, ball, et cetera. I believe they're even the same in Japanese. In terms of strategy, look to Yao Ming, who had a personal assistant/translator with him all the time back in the day. The translator literally becomes a member of the team, because they're assisting in terms of communication with the coach and other players.

If you're a slugger, though, then there's no real need for communication. Yes, just hit the ball down the pitch, and a long way down. Thank you very much.