#1 Edited by Eurobum (487 posts) -

It's a great feature to be able to look up discussions by game, but other than that Giant Bomb forums have always been rather useless. They are effective at discouraging any exchange and mainly serve as a dumping ground for comments like "<>".

Why can't I subscribe to discussions, in order to easily find them again?

Why am I not notified automatically when someone replies to a topic, in which I participated?

The @reply feature at least gives a way to illicit a response, but it is absurd and unnecessary since forum discussions are public. Every reply to a topic addresses everyone able to comprehend it. Meaning that I would have to address everyone in that way @every @single @one for every comment I post. I could also just quote someone if I wanted to single them out.

I love discussions, so I've seen plenty of forums collapse under the unmanageable weight of their popularity and the trolls they attract. Still, forums are a community feature that works, they are a reason to visit a website and visit it frequently! As opposed to every other community initiative like fake "social network" features, or "gamification", user participation, "crowdsourcing", "likes" or Twitter integration; just to name a few.

#2 Posted by imhungry (1100 posts) -

I'm not gonna say these are the best forums ever or anything, since I largely don't have a basis for comparison, but having been here since the start I can't say I've shared your experience of seeing people dump '<>' comments and leave outside of, y'know, joke contexts where that makes sense.

Anyway I mostly just wanted to reply to let you know that you can, in fact, 'subscribe' to discussions. If you look right under the thread title there's a button to 'Follow this topic', after which you can find your followed topics by clicking 'Watched Topics' in the sidebar on the right of the screen. As an added bonus, any topic in which you post a reply to automatically gets followed by your account.

Also auto-notifications for any reply seems like a horrible idea, but that might just be me I guess.

#3 Edited by IBMer (55 posts) -

The new site sucks, I forget the forums even exist. I think they forgot how to design a website for desktops because the main page wastes so much space, no reason to remove the forum list when 70% of the screen is devoted to a video still.

I'll be damned if I resort to posting on Gamespot or ResetEra though, especially the latter... you say one thing that gets misunderstood and you have 4 angry keyboard warriors tearing you a new one.

#4 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@imhungry: I see the option to (un)follow this topic, but It does nothing for me. Wait... I needed 3 to 5 minutes to locate the "Watched Topics", even after you have pointed it out to me. This is the main functionality I was asking for! Now, it needs to be dug up. Why is it buried in the Sidebar under Main boards? That makes no sense, watched topics isn't a board like the other boards. :-(

It should be the the first option in the top Forum menu, as well as under account. Wait... it is in the top bar, mislabeled under [Forums v] -> [Favorite Topics].

Knowing that there are new replies, is prerequisite to be able to re-join the conversation. I would appreciate more/some feedback that there are new replies in a topic. Sort of like when visited links change their color. Other forums embolden topics titles that have new replies. Notification may be a bit much, like you said, but then you could un-follow, right? At least the OP should be notified when there is a reply.

I can't be the only one NOT using this feature until now.

#5 Posted by nutter (1890 posts) -

@ibmer: These forums are quiet, but folks seem cool and can fathom a joke or (usually) a difference of opinion.

Maybe it’s because I’m the age of the original staff, but I maybe come here on a desktop once or twice a year. It’s phone form forums or wiki, roku or maybe Edge on Xbox One, and the iPhone podcast app for, well, podcasts.

I’m curious if their data points to most folks engaging with the site for videos on mobile devices, these days...

#6 Posted by TheRealTurk (453 posts) -

@nutter said:

@ibmer: These forums are quiet, but folks seem cool and can fathom a joke or (usually) a difference of opinion.

Maybe it’s because I’m the age of the original staff, but I maybe come here on a desktop once or twice a year. It’s phone form forums or wiki, roku or maybe Edge on Xbox One, and the iPhone podcast app for, well, podcasts.

I’m curious if their data points to most folks engaging with the site for videos on mobile devices, these days...

I cannot imagine using a phone to consume this site. Watching videos or typing forums messages on an itty-bitty tineesy-weensy screen? No thanks.

#7 Posted by someoneproud (484 posts) -

@eurobum: I like the forums fine for my purposes, got the @ stuff if I want someone to see something or if someone wants me to see something. Please don't @ me with everyone in a topic... I don't need/want to know unless it's directed at me specifically (otherwise I'd just follow/watch the topic). I think the content of the forums is fine and far better than <>s everywhere. For me a bit of light trolling can add flavour to the topics and is usually done in a harmless and playful way.

Usability could maybe be streamlined but I can find topics I'm engaged with via User>Forums just fine, I could see improvements being made but they're far from "lousy" imo.

#8 Posted by nutter (1890 posts) -

@therealturk: If I’m in front of a laptop or desktop, I’m working. It’s either community, sports, or cold-ass-pay-the-bills business work.

Also, phones are big...too big. I just got an iPhone XR. The world has gone nuts!

I’m totally with you that having a decent monitor is nicer, but it’s this or nothing. I just can’t find the time to enjoy my PC. Also, if I have a video playing on my phone, it’s to consume the audio. I can’t get behind opting to use a phone or a tablet over a proper monitor or TV for all but VERY brief video consumption.

#9 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

Usability could maybe be streamlined but I can find topics I'm engaged with via User>Forums just fine, I could see improvements being made but they're far from "lousy" imo.

Exactly how I used to go about it for years, I had to log in, then go to Account -> Forums - scroll through my old posts - go to that topic- find out if there are replies. That is the long way and it does prevent discussion. It's such a huge barrier, that I though it was a deliberate way to stifle debate.

Quick way is: Top Bar - Forums - Favorite Topics (Which needs to be surfaced, emboldened and at the very least renamed to Followed Topics or something less cryptic like NEW REPLIES. )

Because of the wiki integration there isn't a way to just set up a phpBB forum thing, that was perfected 10-15 years ago. There is a missed and neglected opportunity here, to create something great and uniquely integrated with the Wiki and Video content.

#10 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (7476 posts) -

I like GB's system for the forums. It is easy as long as you let go of you preconceived notions from other forums.

• You look up a game topic, personage, theme, and then just hit the "forum" button under that heading . Thusly, if you look a game, a series, a charcter, a theme, an objects that way you are posting at the correct spot, or you are looking in the right spot for discussions about whatever that is. Is that not simple??
  • If you are in a discussion you like, just head to teh top of the page to "Follow This Topic"
  • If someone responds directly to you by quoting you or "@" you to 'call you out' you see that as a notification [bell icon]. You are told when people respond or call you out.
  • If you want to start a new topic, just go to forums and start a new post or poll. The only thing they ask is that ONLY video games related topics are in "general" section, the non-video game stuff is kept in "off topic". If you really are writing about Bombcast there is a subject/topic area for that specifilly; and there are wiki, api, backend error reporting subject areas as well.
  • Finally, response to articles/features/videos/podcasts are not in the forums, those items they are found under "Comments". Your commants are found on the menu for YOUR account under Forums that drops down to Posts or Comments.
#11 Posted by someoneproud (484 posts) -

@eurobum: Yeah I figured that's how that stuff worked but I guess I'm just a little stuck in my ways, either way it suits my purposes well enough as is.

#12 Posted by imhungry (1100 posts) -

@eurobum: Glad I could help. In case you didn't know, the small arrow that shows up to the right of the post count of a thread(not the arrow next to the thread title) when browsing the forums is an indication that you've visited the thread before and there are unread messages in the thread. Hitting that arrow will jump you to the oldest unread post in said thread. Again, not saying this is the most ideal implementation or anything, but the functionality you're asking for is there.

#13 Edited by IBMer (55 posts) -

@nutter said:

Yeah it can still get heated here but compared to ResetERA which is, IMO, among the most toxic forums I've ever seen, it's a god damn paradise. Being on the "good" side of the political spectrum doesn't mean you can't be just as toxic as anyone else. Doxxing is so not cool.

As Father Jack Hackett would say, they're a "Shower of bastards".

#14 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@imhungry said:

@eurobum: Glad I could help. In case you didn't know, the small arrow that shows up to the right of the post count of a thread(not the arrow next to the thread title) when browsing the forums is an indication that you've visited the thread before and there are unread messages in the thread. Hitting that arrow will jump you to the oldest unread post in said thread. Again, not saying this is the most ideal implementation or anything, but the functionality you're asking for is there.

Mind blown. Topics even go from white to dark grey when read. Which is so subtle it borders on invisible. I think there is lots of potential for improvement. Maybe not call a customized feed a "watchlist", a term associated with terrorists. Ditch personalization and customization altogether, for all I care. Who customizes a website?

Also "Words v", somebody isn't even trying. "Words v" also happens to have the same stuff as "Community v". While community is usually synonymous with forums. Anyway it's easy to criticize, but decisions are hard. Good luck to the web-engineers out there. It all matters.

#15 Edited by nutter (1890 posts) -

@ibmer: Hey, I’m on the “bad” side, so imagine my take on ResetERA!

I remember GAF from a couple of console generations ago. I had an account, but I don’t think I ever actually used it. It was cool. Good conversations, fun conversations, the highest profiles developers of the time had accounts and routinely posted. Somewhere along the way, insular close-mindedness warped that forum into something terrible.

EDIT:

And yeah, not being respectful of others’ cultures, values, and beliefs is not cool. Banning people for their thoughts, creating a culture of fear, and harassing your users is just horrible. Let alone all the mods and owners and their...personal problems.

I don’t see what’s so hard about being cool, having fun, and disagreeing passionately, but amicably...on an largely anonymous forum created to discuss a shared pastime, no less.

#16 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1955 posts) -

I use the forums (and the site) 100% of the time via mobile and I think the forums are fine besides the black theme.

#17 Edited by nutter (1890 posts) -

Alright, here’s my one real complaint about mobile use:

I need to pull the desktop site on my phone to get the widget that allows for syntax-free links, quotes, embedding, etc.

I actually haven’t tried to just type out the syntax on here before...I guess that [b][i]SHOULD[/i][/b] work?

[url]http://www.cocainemountain.com[/url]

[url=nuke.com]It’s a website about video games[/url]

EDIT: Nope...my old man skills have withered and failed...

#18 Posted by Humanity (18585 posts) -

My main problem with the mobile use of the forums is that links that used to be red in the past or some other color are now all the same white as the text, making them indistinguishable from everything else. I've been using the site for a while so when I get a notification that someone replied to my post (when those work) I know from experience that I have to click the "your post" in order to get taken to the reply in question - but to newcomers this will not be obvious at all since it's neither bolder nor accented in any way.

#19 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4177 posts) -

Pretty funny how @ people is seen as unnecessary, and then gets used in most of the replies afterwards :)

#20 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@onemanarmyy said:

Pretty funny how @ people is seen as unnecessary, and then gets used in most of the replies afterwards :)

It's a paradox not a contradiction, and my point exactly. If more forum readers were aware of the functionality, or if it were better presented, @person would be unnecessary.

Do you Use Favorite Topics / Watched Topics yourself?

#21 Posted by cikame (2703 posts) -

As far as the redesign goes, the forums are now my "Home Page" and i navigate to videos from here, since it's kind of the same amount of clicks and i get to see the forums.
As for forum functionality, i don't know, every forum i've used has worked the same as this one so i'm not sure what else i'd want. I do wish positioning images and videos in posts was easier, some of the forced formatting is terrible.

#22 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4177 posts) -

@eurobum:

But if someone writes a lengthy reply to a thread and people want to talk about that particular post, having everyone quoting it would lead to a lot of bloat. A quick @ makes it clear enough that you're adressing that person's wall of text without the entire thread clogging up with multiple instances of the same text.

#23 Edited by Catlicker (579 posts) -

Personally I don't come to the forums often because I usually find them confusing and counter-intuitive.

Making the case, I was looking for a spot to discuss the All Systems Goku podcast. Should it go under Dragon Ball, or do I have to resort to the Bombcast section? Could it be that both of them are right? Then where would people look for a topic like that?

#24 Posted by htr10 (1027 posts) -

@catlicker:

The current thread is under Dragon Ball Z. For better or for worse, the activity on here mainly happens in the Comments section of each piece of content.

#25 Posted by Oodli (245 posts) -

My only 2 gripes I can think of right now is that pressing a @ doesn't just take you to the quoted post, and that the posting from the phone is inferior to the desktop site. I probably have some more small issues, but these two would help QoL for me.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#26 Posted by SloppyDetective (1583 posts) -

So my problem with the Follow this Topic button is the automatically following topics I replied in. I want a list of specific topics that I return to frequently (last movie scene, book read, etc.) and not just every random thread I leave a single comment in.

#27 Posted by Big_Denim (831 posts) -

Side note...is the "@" function totally broken as of the last couple of days for other folks? Mine just results in a constant loading icon and never generates results.

#28 Edited by Wrighteous86 (4016 posts) -

@ibmer said:

I'll be damned if I resort to posting on Gamespot or ResetEra though, especially the latter... you say one thing that gets misunderstood and you have 4 angry keyboard warriors tearing you a new one.

Share what you posted that was misunderstood. Whenever someone says something like this (about almost any forum) I assume they said something shitty and are sugar-coating things after the fact to look like the innocent party.

@ibmer said:

Doxxing is so not cool.

Were you doxxed? Genuinely curious.

#29 Edited by IBMer (55 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:
@ibmer said:

Share what you posted that was misunderstood. Whenever someone says something like this (about almost any forum) I assume they said something shitty and are sugar-coating things after the fact to look like the innocent party.

@ibmer said:

Doxxing is so not cool.

Were you doxxed? Genuinely curious.

I truly didn't but I'm not linking to that self righteous lynchmob. There's endless examples of ResetERA being ridiculously one sided and I want no part of it, people should learn some critical thinking instead of seeing the world as "nazi or not a nazi". Disagreeing with people on there is like walking through a minefield laced with banhammers and 'alt-left' keyboard warriors.

I wasn't doxxed, but there was a thread a month or two ago with posters tracking down the person behind the CDPR Twitter account and some personal info got put up.

Harassment isn't against ResetERA's morals when they're the ones doing it.

#30 Posted by sammo21 (5963 posts) -

Personally, I don't see why they still have Twitter feed stuff on the front page. I would personally rather just take that out and put a section for "what's new" for forum use. If you want to follow duders twitter there's a place for that...you don't even see but a couple on the site and that section could be full of mostly just one person's tweets...its useless.

#31 Posted by Wrighteous86 (4016 posts) -

@ibmer said:

I truly didn't but I'm not linking to that self righteous lynchmob. There's endless examples of ResetERA being ridiculously one sided and I want no part of it, people should learn some critical thinking instead of seeing the world as "nazi or not a nazi". Disagreeing with people on there is like walking through a minefield laced with banhammers and 'alt-left' keyboard warriors.

Nazi or not-zi. Sorry. I just had to say it.

#32 Posted by IBMer (55 posts) -

@ibmer said:

Wow, you are almost as punchable for that as this guy.

#33 Posted by Wrighteous86 (4016 posts) -
@ibmer said:
@wrighteous86 said:
@ibmer said:

Wow, you are almost as punchable for that as this guy.

Tough but fair.

#34 Posted by Stonyman65 (3801 posts) -

The new site killed the forums, killed the comment section on videos, and will probably drive site traffic to YouTube outside of premium videos.

This whole thing is just a huge mess. I wonder what their most recent membership and unique user stats are right now compared to this time last year. I have a feeling they aren't good.

#35 Posted by Ares42 (4268 posts) -

I hadn't really thought about it before this thread popped up, but yeah, paying attention to it over the last few week or so this place sure is pretty vacant these days. I think maybe the removal of game related links (forum, wiki, reviews etc) on videos is just as much to blame as the removal of the front page feed.