It was supposed to be about flying, but soon became the letter N.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
No Caption Provided

Oh boy. This is going to be a short blog. I mean, I finished this thing in a day. How much can I say about it after having spent that small amount of time with it? Especially when there's not a lot to say about it in the first place. Before this spirals out of control into some utterly pessimistic mess, I'll warn you that I actually like the game. I just don't like the fact that I'm gonna write about it, and hopefully, you don't find out why. (You will.)

Wait a minute. Why am I so tense about this game? This game's so relaxing that I jammed a plastic tube down my windpipe so I wouldn't choke to death. Or, to put it in simpler terms, Nimbus is as relaxing as that statement is terrifying. A significant portion of the game almost entirely forgoes music, instead just giving you the naturalistic sounds of a rocket trying to save his rocket girlfriend from an evil eyeball. (There is music in the game, and it's OK, but my point is that a lot of this game doesn't have music.) Add in the fact that most of the levels take place in empty fields (excluding the bouncy platforms and keys, of course), like they're forcing nothing on you. This may all contribute to the game's utter lack of an impact, but for now, I'm willing to deal with it.

I don't think this is even a seasonal feature.
I don't think this is even a seasonal feature.

I probably shouldn't be, because that's a thread that runs throughout the entire game. For example, the actual game: it involves you steering a plane against gravity. At first, it's a bit odd that you don't really have a ton of control over the plane, but give it some time. Three seconds, actually, since that's the average length of a level. Where was I going with this? Oh, right: the physics. That's the point of the game: fucking around with the physics to progress through the levels. It can be really fun to swoop around and build up momentum, bouncing around a level all Pulseman-style. (Rocket Knight Adventure-style for American readers. Something else for other readers.) It doesn't hurt that the game throws a ton of bells and whistles on top of this to make it easier to bounce around levels. I'd say it's AaaAAaAaaAaAAaAaaaaaaA-like, but this game's about going up, too. It's got it all.

I'd say my only major gripe with the game would be the level design. It's not bad, per se; it's perfectly challenging and enjoyable, but it definitely could be better. This is a puzzle game, right? I can't imagine it being anything else, so it's odd that the puzzles themselves don't get harder. Yea, the levels get harder, but the puzzles don't. I could usually figure them out easily enough, and actually doing them isn't horrible. It's just that as the game goes on, instead of basing its levels on progressively more difficult puzzles, it just layers tons of intricate puzzles on you at any given time. Yes, it makes the levels harder, but they're no more engaging for it. I want to be mentally stimulated, although that just brings up the question of why I'm playing games where you steer a rocket into bouncy blocks.

Review Synopsis

• Man, this game sure is....relaxing....
  • and the....the levels....they'r....
  • [I am asleep in this bullet.]

You know what I'd love to see? @mento animate these with his stick figures. And now you want it, too.

No Caption Provided

Warning: the following blog may offend New Zoolander readers. (I couldn't figure out how to say "people from New Zealand" in a more succinct manner, and the other thing feels right, anyway.) You have been warned and will be warned: this game sucks ass. The only part of it I remotely liked was the end-level jingle ripped angled from TinyToon Adventures, and there's no way I can give New Zealand Story any credit for that, so I'll reiterate: this game sucks ass. It also sucks dick. I guess my point is that if it's around your hip area, this game's gonna suck it and so much more.

There is clearly something sexual about this part of the game.
There is clearly something sexual about this part of the game.

Although I guess the odd thing is that the game looks like the very thing it's sucking, since there are only three colors in the game and five of them are brown. It also sounds like ass, too, not that you'd be able to tell anymore, what with the gouging out of the ears at the word "Tiny". So what we're left with is a game that doesn't know what it needs to be. Allow me to explain: the objective of each level is to get to the end. That's it. Now how would you make that challenging? Well, whatever you said, it's not what New Zealand Story did. First off, the levels are just a series of contorted mazes throwing you all about the screen. Of course, these mazes are also linear as fuck, so it's less challenging and more a waste of time. Where's the challenge in all of this? Where's the fun? No, those vehicle whatevers don't count. There's certainly an element of strategy to them, given that they each handle a bit differently, but moving through levels at varying speeds isn't terribly fun, at least not like this. So again: where's the fun?

What's that? In shooting enemies? Yea, here's the thing: the enemies are a waste of time. The designers decided to stuff the levels with a ton of them, so they are quite literally a waste of your time. They might have been fun if I was given different weapons to beat them with, or if there were any meaningful enemy variety, but both counts fail. You only get two weapons in the entire game (three if we count the bomb that only ever shows up once), and they both behave exactly the same, so you feel less engaged and more like you're simply swatting flies. As for the enemies, they're....to be fair, there's some variety there. I seem to remember one guy who threw boomerangs at me and a ton who didn't, so there are multiple enemies to handle. Just wish I could say that about the boss. Oh, there are multiple boss fights in New Zealand Story, but only one boss with one easily discernible pattern: move up and down, shoot a large projectile, sometimes. Repeat that four times and then punch the nearest physicist in sight, demanding that he give you your time back. Trust me: he'll understand.

Review Synopsis

• This game is the reason that Helen Keller was blind and deaf.
  • How do you make difficult levels? Curves, of course!
  • And tons of enemies you can shoot down in less than a second!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Get N or Get Out.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:

Get N or Get Out.

I just posted the blog. There's no way you've read anything past the goods.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

@mikkaq said:

Get N or Get Out.

I know but I saw the title and it was like fighting off possession, I had to say it. I HAD TO!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq:

Well, I can't deny that I haven't been there before.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I think they're called Kiwis.

... That miiight be racist/derogatory though. Or not? I dunno.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mikkaq said:

Get N or Get Out.

Wait wait.. were supposed to read these things?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I think they're called Kiwis.

... That miiight be racist/derogatory though. Or not? I dunno.

Well if they don't want to be called that, they should get better PR

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#9 Mento  Moderator

New Zealand people don't mind being called Kiwis. They also accept New Zealanders, Duders Who Keep It Zeal, The Enlightened Ones of The Eternal Kingdom of Zeal and Zealo Green.

New Zealand Story's a game I fondly remember but kind of have to acknowledge that it must not have aged too well in the interim. You seem put all these old games through a critiquing process that is as rigorous as it is inscrutable, so I'll accept your judgement. I don't care to start playing it again just to repudiate your appraisal.

Nimbus, on the other hand, I'm a little shocked you managed to beat so quickly, its apparent effect as a soporific besides. I was under the impression that game just kept on going with its bouncitime adventures for another 10 hours, which is why I mostly abandoned it after last year's May Madness. Kind of wish related blogs were still attached to wiki pages, or even that I could search the site for blogs, because then it might have been easier to go back and see what I wrote about it. But putting blogs somewhere where they can be read ain't what this new site is about, so I'm going to guess... blimps and shit? I like blimps, so I probably gave it a positive rap. Who even knows, it was a year ago.

Just because this post isn't too long already: I don't think I could commit to internet-canvas anything that's as oddly yet overtly sexual as that batch of voice samples. I think ZombiePie would come down on me like a ton of bricks if I tried. He has a policy against any combination of anime and mating. Which... I guess would be "animating"? Oh, wait.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento said:

You seem put all these old games through a critiquing process that is as rigorous as it is inscrutable

I do? I wasn't aware of this. But on the back of the box it goes!

And holy shit, ten hours!? I know it's been a while, but I don't remember sinking anywhere near that amount of time into the game. I remember some of the levels feeling long, but more like the "in-the-moment" type of long that lasts three minutes, instead of the "holy shit, this goes on forever" long of, say, my Persona 3 thread.

Apparently, I'm the only person who interpreted that video as Naoto coked out of her mind.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should play something good.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

I don't even know where to begin with this statement.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@jz said:

He is playing through Persona 3 right now, to be fair. It's just that with a game as long as that he feels the masochistic need to fill his weekly blog up with inscruitable titles that no one has ever heard of. It's ok, I expect an Inquisitor blog within the year, and the general level of rage that should result will compensate for these slower weeks of NES and indie junk.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've always preferred Old Zealand myself.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@dalai said:

I've always preferred Old Zealand myself.

What of Middle Zealand? Or Old High Zealand?

I expect an Inquisitor blog within the year

Wait, within the year? How long is Inquisitor? I don't think I've found any reliable hour counts, but I think the only stuff I could find pegged it in the 150 hour range.

@jz said:

He is playing through Persona 3 right now, to be fair.

And that reminds me: off to the P3 thread!