It's GOTY Crunch Time - What are you trying to play before years end?

• 98 results
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ripelivejam

@jec03: Wow, if this year didn't do it for you at all you must be a hard person to please.

The only thing I can think of for next year is the secret of mana remake, and I guess Ni No Kuni II. Hope it has some surprises, but it may be better for me if it doesn't so I can go through my backlog.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52  Edited By Nodima

No, I spend most of the year already clueless about what the GB guys are talking about so I don't ever feel any pressure to bone up for game of the year stuff. The trifecta of Destiny 2, MLB The Show and NBA 2K is too damn alluring! I miss 2016, when I was burned out on Destiny and the San Diego Studios team hadn't yet found the perfect formula for a fantasy team mode. When the iron out the kinks next year, I could very well see MLB being the only game I find time to play (or they don't iron out the kinks, and I avoid the game for a year to make up for lost time). Or really, any year before this year when MLB The Show dominated my spring/summer/fall so severely. I still get in a few games a week and I've got nothing else to play that game for that's actually attainable at my skill level.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless today's Paris shows some hot last-minute PS4 exclusives that are still coming out this year, I don't have that many titles left to tackle. Assassin's Creed Origins and Call of Duty WW2's campaign are kinda the only ones, though the latter really needs to get some glowing reviews if I'm going to grab it by full price. I really wish they'd just let you buy the single player part seperately for a lower price.

Shadow of War kinda keeps bouncing on and off. I'm fairly sure that I will play it eventually, but might kick it off to sometime next year.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

South Park, The Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein have priority now, while I'll still also try to find the time to finish Hollow Knight and Shadow of War, but I've already played enough of those games to know how I'd probably end up ranking them.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By totsboy

Things are looking grim for me.
This is my list for now:

No Caption Provided

I finishing BotW now, hopefully this week, and then I'm planning to start Mario Odyssey. After that I might go for the shorter games like Edith Finch and Night in the Woods.

Some games like Divinity, Torment and Yakuza I already know I won't play this year.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This has probably been the year where I've played the most games from the current year, so I'm in better shape than usual by this time. I'm currently knee deep in Mario Odyssey which is displacing all other games save for some Duo matches of PUBG here and there but still on the backlog are:

Nier Automata, I've just finished the second ending, I hear things are going to be faster from here on out so I'm optimistic
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, this'll probably be the game I jump into post Mario, I played The New Order earlier this year and loved it so I have high expectations
Night in the Woods, played halfway and fell off of it, will try to get back to it.
Cuphead, the game is gorgeous, but it's not the type of game I excel at so unsure if I will beat it
Steamworld Dig 2, Loved the first one, haven't bought it yet but it's on the list
Golf Story, was on my Must Play list but the later backlash of "too much golf" has me a bit more catious
Mario + Rabbits, Two worlds in, took a break to finish up Zelda before Odyssey hit, hope I'll get back to it in time.
Yakuza 0, doubtful I'll make it as I have yet to buy it and I usually move through those games very slowly.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By soulcake

still need to finish up Original sin 2 elex and South Park's fractured but whole. and waiting for the new cod WWII finished up the new wolfenstein over the weekend :D sometimes i feel like i play more games to a professional game reviewer. Also one of these days i need to finish nier but i totally felt off that game.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By elmorales94

Games I need to play more of but have a good chance of making my list:

• Wolfenstein
  • Odyssey
  • Thimbleweed Park
  • Cuphead

Games I might play, but that I'm pretty sure wouldn't make my list anyway:

• RE VII
  • Hellblade
  • Pyre
  • LiS: Before the Storm

I'm also somewhat curious about Assassin's Creed, but I definitely won't be fooled into buying that until at least next year.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Metroid and Persona are the ones I would really love to finish before the year ends.

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked up Prey again after a hiatus of a few months and I forgot how good it is. Prey didn't really get the attention it deserved.

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divinity 2, Nier, Wolfenstein 2, finishing Odyssey (so good) for sure. Maybe Pyre, Observer, and Cuphead

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Some things on my list include:

1. Nioh
  2. Yakuza 0
  3. Pyre (about 5 hours in)
  4. Wolfenstein II
  5. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  6. PUBG
  7. Resident Evil VII
  8. Tales of Berseria

In other words, way too many games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Finishing up Mario Odyssey, then wrap up cuphead, then I want to head straight into Wolfenstein 2, followed by AC Origins and somehow fit in battlefront 2

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I need to finish my playthrough of Night in the Woods and then also tackle Samarost 3. I guess I should beat Zelda: BOTW too so I won't be spoiled; there's still a bunch of shrines thouuuuuugh.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By Seikenfreak

I was able to clear Wolfenstein 2 yesterday. Check that box. Not making my list.

Next thing (and sort of a surprise): Spintires: MudRunner - I loved SpinTires. It made my #6 on my 2014 Top 10 list. Developer got caught up in all kinds of BS with the publisher from the sounds of it. And I guess he couldn't do anything with that game so he's been forced to re-release the game under a new title and with a new publisher. I was able to pick it up for $13 because I already own SpinTires.

I didn't expect to buy this because I thought it was just a straight re-release but it turns out some work has been done, which all the whiny children on the internet would have you believe the opposite. The maps have been altered a bit which makes them feel new enough for me. Couple new vehicles. New challenge mode. Controller support is better. Interior view is new maybe? I wonder if this works in VR. And hopefully the dev can actually move forward and make more updates to the game instead of legal battles with a publisher.

6 hours in, two maps completed so far, and I'm enjoying it. It could probably make the lower half of my list.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

What app are you using to track that?

W@totsboy said:

Things are looking grim for me.

This is my list for now:

No Caption Provided

I finishing BotW now, hopefully this week, and then I'm planning to start Mario Odyssey. After that I might go for the shorter games like Edith Finch and Night in the Woods.

Some games like Divinity, Torment and Yakuza I already know I won't play this year.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always torn between playing games released the current year and my backlog. I usually only play 2-3 games in the year they're released.

Warren2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not having a Switch cuts down my list. I'm going to focus on getting Nier and Nioh hopefully but Nier seems like a priority.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: This is the default notes app on Android 7, it's called "Memo". It has these checklists and also allows you to add pictures and handwritten notes. I think the default iOS app does similar things as well.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

My answer to this changed since I last posted.

I abandoned Shadow of War.

I 'finished' the Mario Odyssey story but am still chipping away at it. Having fun playing this one with my 3 year old son (I give him a disconnect Xbox controller and he hits the buttons when we go to collect a moon. He enjoys collecting moons).

I've bought AC:Origins and played around 6 hours of it (really enjoying it, but I'll come back to it)

Bought Night in the Woods and am about 6 hours into that as well. Plan to finish that in the next couple of nights.

Bought Wolfenstein II and plan to play through that before the GOTY podcasts.

Then my goal is to return to AC:Origins and Yakuza Kiwami. Will hopefully get back into XCOM 2:WOTC, Divinity OS2 and maybe Breath of the Wild? and pick up Total War: Warhammer 2 early next year.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Trying to get more Absolver in before the end of the year.

Contemplating whether or not I should pick up Horizon. Every part of me is telling me: 'no, that gameplay just looks too boring'. I care about gameplay a whole lot more than story. Yeah, I liked The Last of Us' story, but I think that gameplay is also good is the thing. I don't know.

I won't make a top 10 this year though. It will be a top 5. I didn't play enough games. Which is actually a good sign for someone like me. It means I played singular games longer than usual, which is precisely what I want from games.

mcbisquick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, most of the games that I haven't bought by now will probably not get picked up until after the holidays when I'm done buying gifts for people. The main ones that I'm kinda kicking myself over not getting to are:

• Wolfenstein II
  • Pyre
  • Hellblade
  • Night in the Woods
  • A Hat in Time
  • Evil Within 2
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Mario + Rabbids

Those are just a few on a much longer list. What is crazy is that I feel like I've still played a lot of games this year. There's just too much going on, so at least a few of these will have to be caught up on next year.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's basically Assassin's Creed at the moment. Everything else, I've either finished, or played enough to know my thoughts, or don't mind having it spoiled/explained.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#76 fisk0  Moderator

I should probably finish up Breath of the Wild. Maybe did a bit deeper into StarCrawlers, Battlestar Galactica Deadlock and Vaporum too.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

The 2017 games I'm currently playing are Hellblade and Linelight. Maybe if I hate myself enough, I'll pick up Getting Over It when its released.

davosplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcbisquick: RE7 is amazing!!! I enjoyed it so much I went for and completed the platinum. Well worth the time.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#79  Edited By TheMasterDS

Assassin’s Creed Origins

NieR Automata (replay)

Persona 5 (New Game Plus)

I’m thinking about Night in the Woods maybe. If I have time.

mcbisquick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davosplat: Yeah, my stress with playing horror games made it easy to put off all year but I planned on giving it a shot eventually. Then I heard they were releasing the gold edition, so I figured I would wait on that and see if the whole package is worth it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well I bought Persona 5 on the sale but I doubt I'll finish it by the end of the year. Much less before the GOTY talks, aka 24 hours from now?

camelCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Well I bought Persona 5 on the sale but I doubt I'll finish it by the end of the year. Much less before the GOTY talks, aka 24 hours from now?

Why do you need to finish games before the GB staff talks about GOTY in private...and you won't even know what they are talking about for at least 3 weeks? That doesn't make any sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@zevvion: I feel like I've seen you opinion on games here enough to comfortably say don't get Horizon. I'm someone who can look past lackluster game play for a good story and Horizon still became tedious for me; I even played it on the hard difficulty. I've definitely become burnt out on the guided open world experience though, but I still don't think you would enjoy it that much.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Been playing Nier and will start up Yakuza Kiwami shortly after. Not much else left on my plate that I care to play. Not that I have any illusions of Yakuza Kiwami being discussed (Zero will most likely) during GOTY.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Seikenfreak

Ah my thread has resurfaced.

So I picked up Hollow Knight on the Steam sale and I played it a little last night. I'm conflicted. On one hand, I absolutely adore the look and sound of this game. The little character is so cute. I'm mad I don't have it on PS4 instead. On the other hand, is this like a 2D Dark Souls? Because it feels kinda savage. I love the Souls games and I love how Hollow Knight feels like its being moody and creepy but also cute-ifying all of it? Like I'm playing a Castle Crashers version of Dark Souls? I mean.. the title itself could be a reference to Dark Souls. This is partly a negative though because I already feel like giving up. I've died a whole bunch and I get slightly annoyed at the controls. Like I want a dodge roll and I don't have one (yet?) So I don't know what to do with this game. I could see it potentially being Top 10 material for me.. if I actually want to smash my head against this game and get over this difficulty hump I guess.

Forza 7. To keep this one short and to the point, I bought it on sale, played it for 5 mins, immediately regret the purchase. IMO, it appears to be the same game with minor feature additions or adjustments. So 7 is just Forza 3 but with slightly improved visuals and weather I guess. Certain car models I use still look like old crap. The reason they can pump a Forza game out so frequently is because they just keep carrying over the previous car models but new cars to the series are freshly done and look good. Call it biased or whatever, but at one point I enjoyed the series. It had its own pros and cons compared to other titles. One of those cons was I thought the game looked bad/weird. Bad lighting and (certain) weird, dis-proportioned cars, and unrealistic/exaggerated audio. By continuing to build the series on that same old engine/design, it still has those flaws IMO.

Kingdoms and Castles is another random indie game I picked up on the sale. It seems to not be early access, but they are still adding features through patches? Anyway, I'm way into it. It's a pretty simple game but I really like it. It's what I want out of RTS games (if this even fits in that genre.) I want 80% of it to be building, collecting resources, and staring at my pretty design, and the other 20% being occasional, not too brutal, attacks that test my design. This game is that. About 8 hours into it and still working on my first Kingdom, although I've pretty much done everything there is to do. Just harder attacks from enemies (bigger dragon, ogres so far) and figuring out if I want to expand beyond my walls which is risky and I'm not sure how efficient. They've talked about their plans for upcoming features as well that they are currently testing.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48049f850e3
deactivated-5a48049f850e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for me Nier, Persona 5 and COD WW 2 I want to finish them games before GB game of the year the last few weeks as been a video game crunch for me, persona 5 is not a huge deal if I finish or not even CoD but I have to finish Neir before GotY talks.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couple months ago I started nier and got distracted, so that. Just got a switch so zelda, Mario, rabbids. Night in the woods I'm like 75% done. That's basically all the stuff I want to get done before the deliberations spoil everything.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got a month to playthrough Prey, and I want to play Wolfenstein II, but I never beat The New Order, so I need to do that first. Shouldn't be too hard, I hope.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zevvion: I feel like I've seen you opinion on games here enough to comfortably say don't get Horizon. I'm someone who can look past lackluster game play for a good story and Horizon still became tedious for me; I even played it on the hard difficulty. I've definitely become burnt out on the guided open world experience though, but I still don't think you would enjoy it that much.

Thank you, I really appreciate the personal input. That was more or less the sense I got also.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I started playing Pyre only yesterday and it already seems like a top 5 contender. I might dip into the new Life is Strange stuff and try out the Destiny 2 trial too before I write my list. Nier and Persona 5 interest me, but I just don't have the time in my life for either of them right now.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought Prey, Wolfenstein 2, Life is Strange: BtS and Tacoma. Hope to finish them all by the end of the year, and also Yakuza 0 which I have started recently. Would love to have time for Nier to play route C at least.

Since I'm traveling for Christmas/New Years I might try to get some play out of Mario + Rabbits as well.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#92  Edited By JTB123

I'm going to start Nier tonight. I'm looking forward to this year's GOTY stuff as this year is the first in many that I have regularly kept up with GB so have a good idea of what to expect.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've gotten my fill of single player games this year. There were so many great ones that I'm more than happy to chill with some multiplayer for the rest of the year (or more Nioh+podcasts) Damn that game is so good.

Though that said, the ones I would be interested in finishing for their GOTY potential are: Cuphead, Pyre, Hollow Knight. I think I wanna get in on Wolfenstein, but I'm waiting for a sale and PC patches. So next year. I'm also curious about BOTW. Might legit just buy a copy and play it emulated, but that's also for later.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically Wolfenstein and Pyre are the only two I really want to finish before the GOTY podcasts hit. I'm busy with finals coming up and some big papers to do in December so that's gotta be the priority. Still really upset that I haven't been able to touch Hollow Knight yet, it looks like potentially top 5 material for me but I just haven't had time with all the other games I've been playing alongside class responsibilities.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

At this point I just want to at least launch most of what I consider to be contenders, cuz there ain't no way I'm finishing nearly enough.

Lot of awesome long games this year.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Nier, since it is the (almost) only one that I am scared of spoilers during GOTY...

The other one I am concerned but won't buy is Wolfenstein, because the price during the steam sales has not been so big as others, and the game is still too unstable.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making a concerted effort to beat The Surge. Not because it's a contender but because it's the game that gets pushed back by everything else. That and replaying through Nioh with the DLC.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NG++ in Nioh... Then I will have finished 1.75 games from 2017! I will return to the last 20 odd hours of P5 when school ends for the year :)

davosplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcbisquick: You should definitely give it a go! And while the front third of RE7 does have a few good jump scares, the majority of the game is a great puzzle solving survival game. I never found it all that terrifying; it's more atmospheric and suspenseful. And for what it's worth, it is the only game in recent memory that hooked me enough to earn the platinum trophy. Even beat it on madhouse, and I usually don't mess with those super hard modes.