It's Snow Day!

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey guys!

If you're on the East Coast, specifically near the MVA (Maryland, Virginia, D.C.) you know we're getting hit pretty hard this weekend. I'm talking about 48 hours of pretty much not being able to leave your house. How are you guys spending it?

Here's a few things I'm looking at maybe doing:

Fallout 4

All my "narrative" games : Life is Strange, Fables, Beyond: Two Souls, Everybody's going to the Rapture

Watching at least a season of The Simpsons (season 6 or 7)

Catching up on my current shows.

GTA V multiplayer

Mario Maker

I'm curious to see what other East Coast people are planning. Stay safe!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By notnert427

I want a snow day. Hell, I just want it to get near freezing here in Austin, TX so everyone flips their shit and everything is cancelled. Then again, January golf tournaments are possible and I'm playing in one on Saturday, so there's that.

Stay safe, East Coast duders.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I imagine I won't be able to enjoy it as much as I would like because I'll constantly be thinking "what if our power goes out?"

For now I'm listening to the new Megadeth album and hoping it's better than the last album at least. Bought Straight Outta Compton earlier this week so I'll probably try to watch it sometime this weekend too. As for games, that's a bit up in the air right now.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smtdante89: Yeah the power outage question looms over us all. I've got a DS a Vita and a Laptop on standby, as well as LED lanterns and board games.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

man- i'm in nyc, and i think we're getting the tail end of what the DC region is getting. bummer- i like big snowstorms!

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Once I get out of the office for the day I'm making sure to charge my 3DS and Vita in case of power outages. While the 3DS is charging I'll download Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam because it looks super fun and Dan seems to be pretty positive about it. Outside of that I'm working my way through the my gaming backlog, currently playing Infamous: First Light.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By redyoshi

man- i'm in nyc, and i think we're getting the tail end of what the DC region is getting. bummer- i like big snowstorms!

I love the snow too, but last year was a nightmare since the storms kept coming one after another, so we had that disgusting gray mess mixed over ice for so long. I'm hoping we get some snow, but that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

As for what I'll be playing, Borderlands got patched on PS4 recently, so I'll try to finally finish The Pre-Sequel. It kept freezing/crashing at a certain spot right near the end. I also want to put more time into Trails of Cold Steel.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

I don't tend to plan entertainment in advance since I'm so fickle about it, but I do want to have a mini-marathon of Always Sunny and play some more Darkest Dungeon at least. In case of power outage, since none of my devices have huge battery lives, I've got some books lined up.

Other than that, endless shoveling. I live where I work, and work in the business district, so I have to be on top of that.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day 3 of being stuck in my house because of this stupid winter storm. Cabin fever is slowly setting in. At the rate I am digging through the cupboards, I will run out of food tomorrow. I am now down to the ramen and sandwiches.

For entertainment: going through the backlog of games from Steam sales that I haven't played, and watching older videos on the Giant Bomb site.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Video games and animeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Mostly some Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold and Fire Emblem Awakening with a little Bloodborne on the side. Might try to squeeze in some Xrd since I haven't played in ages and I want to stop being terrible.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I'm in central PA and most of the snow missed us... So disappointed. I love snow storms

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Philly has more than a foot right now, Septa shut down so I'm stuck in my dorm room. I'm torn between finding something fun to do and literally just laying in bed all day. Both are so appealing.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Strangestories

I'm right on the border between North Carolina and South Carolina (Charlotte) and I'm mostly worried about having to pick someone up from the airport tomorrow. It's supposed to be sunny and 45 degrees tomorrow but I have to drive on a highway where people go like 20 mph over the speed limit normally and ice in the south is...scary. I'm just hoping it's melted by tomorrow.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

We got a nice, hearty layer of ice here in Raleigh, NC, but my power holds strong! I'm further testing my sanity by making the plunge into Darkest Dungeon (for the first time). Seems appropriate. Also getting some StarCraft in here and there.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@majormitch: I live in Raleigh too actually. Work was cancelled. I've been eating bacon all morning. I'm about to play something but can't decide what.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

Welp, here in southern PA, and it's... pretty much what they said it was going to be. Constant snow piling up, can't even shovel because it all fills right back in. At least it's light and easy to move... for now. Fingers crossed that the power stays on. The snow does have a nice insulating effect on the inn... haven't been this warm all week, ironically.

Edit: Forgot the fun part! Woke up feeling sick, and it's been progressing all day. What a great time to have a cold!

Edit 2: Oh, fucking hell, I feel like trash. I am a man made of refuse. My hands have become discarded Twinkie wrappers, because I'm a big ol' trash boy. And the snow continues to accumulate. Gaaah, I'd kill for a beer right now.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My snow day was Wednesday. I spent most of the day making a Mario Maker Level called "how I spent my snow day." Big surprise.

With the little video game time I had left, I was busy nearing the end of my rope with Majora's Mask. I also braved the elements to travel to a friend's house to eat Mexican food and listen to music.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm in New Jersey and this snow storm allowed me to get 2 days off in a row for the first time in months. I'm spending it wisely by playing video games and staying warm. Then tomorrow I spend half the day shoveling snow.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing Paragon this weekend probably even if we don't get a storm.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Watching Kill la Kill dub and playing Yarn Yoshi and Witcher 3.

Tomorrow is morning shoveling, visiting family, and Ramen!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@strangestories: I live right next to Charlotte and have to get on 485 tomorrow to go to work. Yeah, that's going to be fun. However, it looks like it's melting right now.

I spent my days snowed in playing Kingdom Hearts 1 on PS3. I'm at the last bit of it right now. I also played through pretty much all of Serious Sam HD The First Encounter with my brother.

Where I live, it wound up being some freezing rain, then a few inches of snow, then freezing rain again all day yesterday.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Virginia Beach checking in.... Absolutely nothing happened here.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: it's melting a little bit here which actually isn't a good thing. It's just going to refreeze tonight and make roads even icier. I can only hope that there aren't many people on the roads tomorrow and/or the ice melts completely by the time I have to drive on I-85 south. Charlotte drivers scare the hell out of me on days with the best road conditions; ice and snow, though? I'm terrified.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cmblasko

I'm in eastern PA. It stopped snowing a few hours ago and it seems like we ended up with around 3 feet of snow. I tried shoveling earlier but snow was still coming down at the time and it kept filling in where I was shoveling so I gave up.

Besides that I got a work out in, played some Monster Hunter while watching Law and Order SVU with my wife and played Heroes of the Storm with my friends who are trying to teach me how to play. Really fun day besides the failed shoveling.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just snow, not some deadly poison.

cindyvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cindyvg

You seem to be really upset by the snow. But you are looking at the cool game stuff of 2015. So I want to know what did you get?

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crommi: Are you from the North? I'm originally from Maine and let me tell you, I'd prefer driving in a big snowstorm in Maine where there's enough infrastructure to keep the roads from freezing than anywhere in the South where the ice is allowed to accumulate, melt, then refreeze overnight.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangestories: It's just a matter of driving within the limits, not taking unnecessary risks and understanding the conditions. Roads are at most dangerous when it's been mild for a while and then it gets cold overnight with plenty of snow, basically you get a sliding layer of snow on top of ice. On the otherhand, packed snow is pretty grippy and shouldn't cause any issues unless you are driving on slicks. Your car's ABS is a good indicator for the grip, if it's kicking in, you need to be more careful. Even in the areas that get snow regularly, you can't rely on it being cleared when you leave for work and you just need to deal with it.

But just for going outside, I'd pick heavy snow over heavy rain. Snow doesn't make you wet, cold and uncomfortable.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Strangestories

@crommi: I know how to drive in snow luckily plus I have a 4WD Subaru which makes things a bit easier. I guess I should have said other drivers here are what scare me most, not the snow (although ice still sucks). Case in point I just drove to the grocery store and even though the roads in my area are mostly clear, I was behind an Acura that nearly slid out on a patch of snow and melting ice. Person obviously hit their breaks as they were going over it. Stuff like that makes going out in bad conditions here a risk because who knows, someone might break too hard coming up to a stoplight and slide right into the intersection. And while people like you and me know how to handle it, so many people here don't which you can't really blame them for since this happens maybe once every few years.

Avatar image for tarpit_carnivore
Tarpit_Carnivore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Jersey Shore area and thinking 2-feet easy. Spent the time watching some TV and trying to wrap up my first play through of Wind Waker.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I shoveled snow for 6 hours across the two days. Played a bit of Dragon's Dogma. I'm still not sold on that game right now. I'm exploring a lot after just getting to Gran Soren.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Today, the roads where I live were finally clear enough to leave my house after being stuck inside since last Thursday. Playing video games wasn't enough to keep the cabin fever away. Let me out!