I've been poor these past months and can now afford two games, pick them for me Giantbombers? Please?

• 72 results
sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sjhujh
sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sjhujh

The ones with the little stars are one sale at the moment....  

Not quite sure how picking two is gonna work, maybe people post their second choice? Cheers for your help guys much appreciated! 

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vitor

Rent GoW3 - it's 8 hours long and while the first 5 hours are AWESOME, its last third goes downhill nearly as quickly as Dante's Inferno's. And this comes from a big time God of War fan - it felt like they ran out of steam after crafting some stunning setpieces early on and polishing those to perfection and the rest of the game suffers as a result. This may seem like a shocking statement considering nearly none of the reviews mention this but it seems to be a common complaint amongst a lot of fans (and Anthony Burch on Destructoid actually wrote an interesting article on how he found the game to be too long and boring - after the first 5 hours, that's kinda how it goes I'm afraid. The bosses aren't as epic, the puzzles are bland and the environments actually start getting a bit ugly. It's the system showpiece the PS3 wants in places - the Titan fights actually look better than all the CGI the first 2 games had combined - but in others it just looks like a HD PS2 GoW game. It's inconsistent in my opinion).

FFXIII is LOOOOOOOOOONG - also really boring and badly paced for the first 8(!) hours or so but if you persevere and have always enjoyed FF games, then you might get into it. Probably the most value for money here though clocking in at over 50 hours (I'm only 25 hours in...)

Dead space is one of the best action/horror games I've ever played (showed RE5 how it should have been done) and would be great t get on sale - not necessarily with NG2 though (it's nowhere near the classic the first game and the black expansion on the original Xbox was)

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Darksiders is really, really great. Assassin's Creed 2 I enjoyed a lot, GoW3 needs no introduction and the others I'm sure you can pick up on the cheap.  

I have no feelings towards FFXIII.

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sjhujh
@Vitor:   Cheers mate, yea dead space is only 8 quid at the moment so might as well pick that one up whatever happens I suppose. A lot of people have told me its a classic and since RE4 I've started enjoying the whole action/horror genre again.  
callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By callumbay

Final Fantasy XIII and Dead Space are my two favourites from that list. :) 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

ass creed, dead space.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#8  Edited By Jazz

AC2 and NG sigma 2 
I haven't play FFXII but the rest of the list is beyond crap. 

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Yukoei
@Jazz said:

" AC2 and NG sigma 2 I haven't play FFXII but the rest of the list is beyond crap.  "

God of War 3, Dead Space and Darksiders are crap?  

You have a strange taste in games. 
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor
@sjhujh said:
" @Vitor:   Cheers mate, yea dead space is only 8 quid at the moment so might as well pick that one up whatever happens I suppose. A lot of people have told me its a classic and since RE4 I've started enjoying the whole action/horror genre again.   "
Totally worth it - my love for the RE series started with 4 also and Dead Space feels like a natural extension of that formula, far more so than RE5 which felt less fresh and like more of a rehash - Dead Space was a lot more daring and innovative in places than people give it credit for (I remember all the prerelease pessimism saying that it just just RE4 in space - turns out that was totally accurate but in a totally good way). 

As for AC2, if you liked the first one you'll enjoy it but it really is more of the same (it's only less repetitive because they frame the action differently via objectives/cutscenes when in fact you're still doing the same actions over and over again) and the game engine hasn't aged particularly well. You could probably find this for relatively cheap on somewhere like ebay so should probs go for one of the newer games on the list (or wait for them to go down in price - not sure how long it'll take for big names like FF and GoW though).
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Xandurson

I would say Assassin's Creed 2 and Dead Space although I have yet to play either of those. I want to though. I love the first AC so that's obvious and Dead Space I really want to play ever since I played the demo. I just never had the time or money.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jazz
@Yukoei:  
God of War is boring as hell to play, lovely to look at in places. 
Darksiders i found to be boring as hell. 
And Dead Space is completely overhyped and...boring as hell. 

They may be strange, but at least they are my own.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yukoei
@Jazz said:
" @Yukoei:  God of War is boring as hell to play, lovely to look at in places. Darksiders i found to be boring as hell. And Dead Space is completely overhyped and...boring as hell.  They may be strange, but at least they are my own. "
Fair enough, they are your opinions after all.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By skrutop

Dead Space was awesome; I played through it twice.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Meowayne

First choice: Dead Space.
Second choice: ACII.

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DaemonicGrim

AC2 was great. (voted that way) GoW3 was pretty good but not worth a big investment if you're shy on cash (I actually preferred darksiders, though saying that is likely to get me smote from above by people calling it a GoW copy anyway) FFXIII is something I want to play but haven't yet. Never got into dead space demo so never gave the full game a chance. Can't say I heard many wonderful thoughts from my friends though. And I've never touched nor contemplated NG2 :) 

summary 

AC2 for certain. 

Choice between Darksiders (GoW3 if you want better graphics) and FFXIII

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sjhujh

At the moment AC II is roaring into the lead, followed by dead space, ACII is only 25quid at the moment too, so if I got that and dead space I could be gaming well into the month for under 35 pounds... a tempting prospect.   

I did love the first game, even though it did become a grind, I've heard nothing but praise for it and Darksiders. I only missed out on Darksiders because of Heavy Rain, might leave that for the end of the month.  

I think my brother might be getting GOW III so might just borrow it off him when he's done with it, most of you guys seem to think its only worth a rental.  

Cheers for all the suggestions people, keep 'em coming decision time is going to be 12.00 o'clock GMT tomorrow (26/03/10)

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dany

ACII will get you the most bang for your buck. I'd say its a good 15 hour long game

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I'd pick GOW 3 and FF13, but that's me. I'm 45 hours into FF13 and having a blast, and GOW3 I'm on my second play through and doing the challenge modes and that game is great.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By RobotHamster

Dead space for me and while i love gow3 it is a bit short.  Haven't played ff but it looks boring, not sure about darksiders or ng, and ac2 is way overhyped.  I'm assuming you have a ps3 so have you tried uncharted 2 or valkyria chronicles* (which is less than 20 bucks).

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By jimbo_n

If you havent played Dead Space yet that is the obvious choice here. NG2 is also worth playing through. You can probably find the non-sigma version pretty cheap.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cstrang

Assassin's Creed 2 and either Dead Space or God of War 3. 

Assassin's Creed 2 was just soooo good, even with all of its faults.  Dead Space is easily the best survival horror of recent memory.  God of War 3 is just one of those games you're gonna end up buying if you have any interest in the series.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Pessh

Try the demo of dead space first, and check amazon dude, I'm from uk too and there's some good shit real cheap like Valkyria Chronicles.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Daryl

If on a limited budget I'd pick a game with a more longevity so I guess an open world game like Assassins Creed 2 would be ideal.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Red

None. If you're poor, just save the money for a game you know you absolutely want.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By GunstarRed

Dead Space
sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sjhujh
@Red said:
" None. If you're poor, just save the money for a game you know you absolutely want. "
My poorness has now all cleared up, got myself one of those jobs you know, and the games I've listed are all games I want but previously wasn't able to get because of paying for stuff at uni and needing food more than games.  
theDevilb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By theDevilb0y

I pretty much hated Dead Space (survival horror my arse), I haven't played God of War 3 or the new Ninja Gaiden and I can't in good conscience recommend FFXIII because from what I've seen and played of it that game's appeal is limited as hell. So with that in mind I would go for either Darksiders (which I really enjoyed) or Assassin's Creed 2 (which I enjoyed slightly less, but which is longer and probably better as a game).

Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dirty_Harry

Dead space!

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By fugie7
@sjhujh: i would go with god of war 3 and as creed.
the_pink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_pink

i'd say dead space and ff13 if you can handel the poor pacing at the start if not go for AC2

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#32  Edited By dudacles

I haven't played every single one of those games yet, but Dead Space is easily my favourite out of the ones I have played. So get that game. It is fantastic.

Sathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sathan

On the poll I voted for Assassin's Creed 2. For the other choice I would go with Dead Space.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go with Assassin's Creed as your primary choice, and Dead Space as your secondary. 

Assassin's Creed II is so good.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35  Edited By the8bitNacho

All the games you've listed are excellent, but I'd recommend going with the cheaper titles for now.  You'll get much more bang for your buck, unless you can stand the initial monotony of FFXIII.  In that case, you're definitely get a better ratio of dollars-to-hours spent playing.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jazz

Valkyria Chronicles is an absolutely fantastic game...and it's not Dead Space. 

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By AutomaticSnake

Dead Space best game in that list.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Burns098356GX

FFXIII will probably get your the most time-played, but AC2 is also a good choice.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'd recommend Assassin's Creed II. It's on sale. It's a great game. Why not?

And with the leftover money, I say you should save it. They've got a good lineup of games coming out soon.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By agentboolen

You matters well get more for you money and just pick up the sale titles, Dead Space was great and Ninja Gaiden 2 is a instant classic but deserve to be in anyones collection!

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By evanbrau
@sjhujh said:
 ACII is only 25quid at the moment too
This is a total steal, definitely pick it up. Dead Space and Ninja Gaiden 2 are great and I'm only halfway through GoW 3 but am really, really enjoying it. Wouldn't touch FF if my life depended on it but thats my own personal prejudice.
bounceback11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bounceback11

hey man I know its not on your list but you mentioned being a big resi evil 4 fan. resi evil 5 preowned is on sale for 8 quid at the mo on swapgame and theres tonnes of replayability in that game! 
sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sjhujh
@bounceback11: Already picked that up close to launch, Sainsbury's had it for like 19quid a couple of months after launch so got it. Loving the DLC at the moment. also unrelated to the poll how would rate swapgame? do you rent off them? Was thinking it might be a good way for playing all those games I want to play but don't necessarily want to own...
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LiquidPrince

God of War III and Assassin's Creed 2. Final Fantasy is also a great pick.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

AC2 for sure. I havent played Dead space but it seems great so I would say go for that. GoW 3 isnt worth it. you can squeeze 10 hours out of it max. Besides that its a rental

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hourai

Assassin's Creed 2 and FFXIII. Rent Dead Space, it's a great game, but it's not something you'll replay again and again.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By Seppli

Not on the list - but I'd chose BF:BC 2. I'm actually not buying any games over the summer months. That's what I'm gonna stick with. Just sayin' - any online multiplayer game will give you the most value for your buck. 

Super Street Fighter 4. Modern Warfare 2. Battlefield : Bad Company 2. Forza 3. Whatever floats your boat. Unless you don't want to sink your teeth into a meaty online experience or don't like competitive multiplayer. 

Truth be told... I might not be able to resist Super Street Fighter 4 and Red Dead : Redemption.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By ApertureSilence

Assassin's Creed, Dead Space.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Metroid545

darksiders and ac2

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sjhujh
@Seppli: Been thinking of BFBC2 but thought I should get that after I hand my Thesis in otherwise I will fail misserably, I get hooked on on-line games pretty easily... (also can't get Forza 3 till I get an Xbox360, my mates been begging me to get one...)