• 129 results
SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpudBug
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34012/Tretton_Platforms_Must_Have_Cutting_Edge_Tech_At_Launch_To_Stay_Relevant.php

Choice Quotes:
 "If you're really going to sustain technology for a decade, you have to be cutting edge when you launch a platform," he says. "Here we are 4 years into the Playstation 3, and it's just hitting its stride. We'll enjoy a long downhill roll behind it because the technology that was so cutting edge in 2006 is extremely relevant today and is conspicuously absent in our competition."

"They're starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond," he says. "I mean, you've gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale? Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I'm doing true accurate motion gaming?"   

"Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those," he says. "He's too old for that."

"With the NGP, we asked, what is it that is lacking? We looked at every technology out there, every [bell and] whistle, and how can we make those flexible as possible for consumers to experience."   

Interesting words coming from the handheld device maker with the most to prove to mostly disappointed PSP1 buyers. But then, this guys job is to cheerlead. It isn't new Sony hardware time without some inflammatory quotes about the competition's inferiority. I guess between these quotes and the Angry Birds guy calling nintendo software "$50 pieces of plastic" Nintendo really has gathered some hateful attention in the industry. 
    I just always find it hilarious to see these quotes about how important the playstation hardware strategy is and how good it is from someone who's more or less an english mouthpiece for the decision makers in japan. Jack Tretton did not decide that the NGP or PS3 should be a cutting edge high price tech device. He just is the one supporting it in the US. He has about as much pull in what decisions Sony makes with PS3/NGP as the average forum goer does.

That said does anyone actually feel embarrased pulling out a Nintendo (or any) handheld in public? I certainly don't. I guess i'm pretty tolerant to those kinds of things in general but it had never really occurred to me that some people might think that pulling out a minature Television screen used for playing videogames from your bag might be considered shameful. I don't know what's suppossed to make the NGP more "socially acceptable" than the 3DS but i assure you the higher price tag isn't it. Besides, most people that have seen the 3D photos or face raiders have thought the 3DS to be quite fun.

I think it's interesting his use of "he" in the quote about the DS being too childish for 20 year olds. Entirely ignoring that women pushed the popularity of the DS to a large extent.
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FCKSNAP

It's true though. That goes for all platforms too.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
@Snapstacle said:
" It's true though. "
Yep.  The PSP does the same thing as well.
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FCKSNAP
@JJOR64: yep.

o/
GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By GS_Dan

It's hard to deny the fact that there's still a stigma of sorts involved.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By eskimo

@Jack - And that is why you fail.....

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RE_Player1

I suggest you don't get too riled up over some remarks a suit makes. Microsoft execs say the Kinect is the future because traditional controls are outdated, Nintendo believes people should still play games in the same room and achievements detract from the game, and now Sony comes out with comments like these among others from the past. Just ignore them and support the games you like on all platforms. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Willy105

Looks like the old Sony is back.

Shame too, because it felt they were growing up for a little while.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Burns098356GX

Sony is fuckin garbage on all fronts. Fuck'em.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't believe for a second that Tretton actually thinks Nintendo are making handhelds which are only played by male young children. I really wish all console manufacturers, publishers, and developers could promote their own products without feeling the need to make these cheap shots at the competition. It's also interesting that Tretton refers to motion gaming as "cute" when Sony themselves have motion gaming peripherals they've been strongly trying to push on the Playstation 3.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Dude

I feel pretty good about my 3DS purchase.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta

oooooooh dip!

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Oh Mr. Tretton, jealousy is a stinky cologne. By the way, has the next generation started yet? We're all still waiting for Sony to say that it has.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By august

"LOL Sony."

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By NickLott

Strong words coming from last place. I wonder how adult he feels waving around his Move glow pop. 

I love my PS3 but anytime you have prop yourself up by denigrating your competition just further emphasizes your position of vulnerability. This goes for many things.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By p_p_o_d
on the plus side all this talk from him about how new hardware needs to be cutting edge kind of lays my fears of the ps4 being a slightly redesigned ps3.  (like the gamecude was to wii)

and yeah,   company mouth peace talks trash about the rivals,   not exactly something new.   

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous
@GS_Dan said:
" It's hard to deny the fact that there's still a stigma of sorts involved. "
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By IBurningStar

I'm too old to play my DS/Gameboy? I didn't know that! Thank goodness this guy told me. What was I thinking? And here I was all this time playing things like Professor Layton and Radiant Historia and thinking I was having fun. Boy, was I wrong.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By 234r2we232

If we were talking about a company that understood the handheld market, these comments might be remotely surprising.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By scarace360

i dont babysit outside

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By crusader8463
Holy shit! A head of a company says something negative and demeaning about a competitions product while promoting their own? I'm floored.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ben_H  Online

*Reggie Fils-Aime looks at DS sales, looks at PSP sales, looks back at DS sales, smirks as he reads news story, then goes back to swimming in his pool full of money*

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hunkulese
@SpudBug: Why bother posting a quote from a PR guy trying to hype his product while bashing others? An obviously biased statement holds no water for people who are able to think at a higher than ninth grade level. Are you offended because a guy marketing his product made fun of something you like?
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo

I'd rather be seen with the girl colour 3DS than with any colour PSP.

PS3 does have a tech advantage over 360, which is useful for all of two exclusives a year - nobody else bothers using it.  Sony and Microsoft might as well just agree to use identical hardware in their next consoles.  Both could still have their exclusives, and multi-plat development would be way cheaper and easier.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By xyzygy
@p_p_o_d said:

"

on the plus side all this talk from him about how new hardware needs to be cutting edge kind of lays my fears of the ps4 being a slightly redesigned ps3.  (like the gamecude was to wii)

"
Where did you get this idea from? Neither Sony nor MS would ever settle for hardware that is only a slight upgrade from their previous installment. Nintendo is a different story because the marketing was more focused on the motion controls rather than the graphics improvements.

@Jimbo: I would actually love it if there was a Sony/MS hybrid console. There'd be that and then Nintendo's offerings which would be a nice change from the hybrid system. I can only dream though
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yakov456

Honestly, unless I am on a plane, whipping out my DS or PSP makes me feel a bit judged. So it seems that I am the opposite example that he is giving.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MisterChief

I'm still waiting for my $1200 for finding PS3s on store shelves.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpudBug

@Hunkulese said:
" @SpudBug: Why bother posting a quote from a PR guy trying to hype his product while bashing others? An obviously biased statement holds no water for people who are able to think at a higher than ninth grade level. Are you offended because a guy marketing his product made fun of something you like? "
Why bother posting anything? To get a discussion going.

I know he's just saying what he has to say, but I was more interested in if there's any fact to his idea that 20 year olds are too ashamed to pull out a DS in public. I didn't think there was, but there must be a reason he's saying that.

I guess I feel like the same people who have an aversion to using a DS in public are going to have the same problems with pulling out a Sony handheld.
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Detrian

Considering that when facing the DS or even the GBA you could call the PSP a "Dismal failure", I think nintendo still wins this one.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By keyhunter

He's got a point. I'm too old to take the bus anymore, I have nowhere to actually play handhelds anymore.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By yoshimitz707
@keyhunter: You're too old to take public transportation? I see people of all ages on the bus everyday.
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By willin

JACK TRETTON HAS NO TIME FOR THIS BULLSHIT KIDS STUFF.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By keyhunter
@yoshimitz707 said:
" @keyhunter: You're too old to take public transportation? I see people of all ages on the bus everyday. "
Outside of the very downtown core, most Canadian cities have worthless public transportation. It's not an option for anyone who isn't a child or a fucking troglodyte. For going downtown and getting shitfaced it's fine I guess. But even after you get off the skytrain in a suburban area, the buses only come once every half hour, and stop completely at 1. So it's still kinda useless.
SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpudBug

a lot of people do commute with public transportation though. Not everyone can.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Chop

Tretton is hilarious, I <3 all these PR guys. 

But on a more interesting topic, I've taken out my handhelds in public before and gotten strange ass looks. I thought smart phones might help destroy that stereotype of "holy shit that guy is some crazy pedo" but it seems like we're still stuck there :(
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By choffy21

He's right. Every once in a while I bring my DS on my morning commute, but rarely pull it out because I'm fairly certain I'll be perceived as a weirdo. Probably speaks more to my self-confidence than DS' and Game Boy's, but still...

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpudBug

I guess I just don't give a shit what random people think that much. 

Or being entertained while bored on a commute or waiting somewhere is more important than what someone walking by thinks of me, lol.
dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dragonzord
@Ben_H said:
" *Reggie Fils-Aime looks at DS sales, looks at PSP sales, looks back at DS sales, smirks as he reads news story, then goes back to swimming in his pool full of money*

"
PSP outsold 3DS this week in Japan.
Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chop
@SpudBug said:

" I guess I just don't give a shit what random people think that much. 
Or being entertained while bored on a commute or waiting somewhere is more important than what someone walking by thinks of me, lol.
"

Oh I'm right there with you. I stopped having any fucks to give a long time ago when it comes to my hobby. I just think it's interesting that almost everyone plays games now but "gamers" are still stereotyped as creepy nerds. 
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40  Edited By JasonR86

This sounds like a bunch of phrases created by a guy who is out of touch with the community he's trying to talk about.

-Yes, the PS3 hardware is very good.  The PS3 exclusives are incredibly impressive graphically and blu-ray is a huge advantage.   But it's online capabilities is just now reaching what Xbox 360 had at launch. 
-Casual fans buy systems without hard-drives.  SKUs without hard-drives can sell for less to people who don't know any better.  It sort of screws over those fans in the long run, especially if they really get in to the system, but it sells to people who would otherwise not buy the system.  It's intelligent from a business sense but not really from a fan or developer sense.
-The Gameboy perspective is a broad generalization based off of a minority of parents who have children who play with the DS.  This comment is just a lame, lazy push of the 'Nintendo is for kids' mantra by a salesman who doesn't understand what he's talking about.
-I don't have a lot to say about the NGP.  I don't know if the 'everything but the kitchen sink' is a good approach or not.  It is certainly an expensive approach for Sony and consumers.

So, I guess in closing, he's an out of touch salesman.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By killroycantkill
@JJOR64 said:
" @Snapstacle said:
" It's true though. "
Yep.  The PSP does the same thing as well. "
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho

Maybe Sony should try making a babysitting tool instead of something nobody wants to buy.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By frankxiv

he's right though, who the hell still plays their game boy?

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zabant

i'm more amazed people are afraid of playing their DS in public incase some stranger thinks they are weird. Some serious insecurities right there, does it really matter what someone you will never see again thinks? if they're the type of person to think videogames are for kids then they're probably someone you wouldn't get on with anyway.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ben_H  Online
@zoner said:
" @Ben_H said:
" *Reggie Fils-Aime looks at DS sales, looks at PSP sales, looks back at DS sales, smirks as he reads news story, then goes back to swimming in his pool full of money*

"
PSP outsold 3DS this week in Japan. "
I said DS, not 3DS, and I'm more referring to overall sales than current weekly sales, where the original DS has more than doubled the PSP.  I'm just saying that Tretton can say all he wants but no matter what he says Nintendo has been doing much better on the handheld market than Sony lately.  Whether or not a system is a baby-sitting tool or not doesn't matter to Nintendo, they got their money either way.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By tebbit

Nintendo is basically the Apple of the console world. It's cool to own a Nintendo, at least in the communities frequent.

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By oysteinBrenne
@Burns098356GX: they might not have the best console but they make the best tvs 
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Contro

Jack Tretton is a fool to come out with such comments, he only makes the company look desperate in doing so, and it's easy to see why when you look at the sales figures and content available for DS. On another note, 3DS is getting mature software, it's already happening, I've already played it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hey look its a Sony dude slinging mud at the others...
You never ever saw that before, right?

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sogeman

I'm 22 so I guess I better throw my Ds lite away now. Thanks Jack for the enlightenment.

Guess you really need to attack the industry leader when your own product will come out a year or more later, will probably be fucking expensive and will stay behind the DS again.