Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By DougQuaid
@HandsomeDead said:
" Jack Tretton is a fucking boss. "
N O  O N E  is more authentic. Realest mother fucker on tha block.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By Enigma777
@DougQuaid said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
N O  O N E  is more authentic. Realest mother fucker on tha block. "
Pretty sure Kid Rock is more authentic... 
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By JasonR86

Money doesn't lie and Nintendo has a shit ton of it despite whatever Tretton has to say.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By HandsomeDead
@JasonR86 said:
" Money doesn't lie and Nintendo has a shit ton of it despite whatever Tretton has to say. "
It's good to see you taking the debate to an area that Tretton didn't even approach in his statements and acting like he's beat.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By JasonR86
@HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
" Money doesn't lie and Nintendo has a shit ton of it despite whatever Tretton has to say. "
It's good to see you taking the debate to an area that Tretton didn't even approach in his statements and acting like he's beat. "
I didn't realize this was a debate...
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By damnboyadvance

Um, who has sold more systems? Exactly. This guy needs to shut his mouth.

I know plenty of adults who aren't embarrassed to play the Nintendo DS or Wii. We don't think it's immature. We think it's fun.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107  Edited By Dalai
@HandsomeDead said:
You're Jack Tretton.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#108  Edited By LordAndrew
@damnboyadvance said:
" Um, who has sold more systems? Exactly. This guy needs to shut his mouth.I know plenty of adults who aren't embarrassed to play the Nintendo DS or Wii. We don't think it's immature. We think it's fun. "
Fun is for babies. So says Mr. Tretton.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By HandsomeDead
@JasonR86 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
It's good to see you taking the debate to an area that Tretton didn't even approach in his statements and acting like he's beat. "
I didn't realize this was a debate... "
Maybe not, but you're critiquing him on a point he wasn't making.
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

It feels ironic that he is shitting on the parts of Nintendo that Sony is failing at.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By JasonR86
@HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
Maybe not, but you're critiquing him on a point he wasn't making. "
It wasn't really a critique of what he said explicitly but what was implied.  He's making an implicit comment on Nintendo's business model by what was explicitly said.  My comment was about what was implied, or at least what I believe was implied.  Anyone who makes a comment that somehow Nintendo's business model is flawed, bad or whatever negative word one would like to use doesn't realize how stupidly rich that company is. 

I understand Tretton was making comments in hopes of bad-mouthing Sony's competition.  But silly, bad-mouthing still comes with implications that I can disagree with.   
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By HandsomeDead
@JasonR86 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
It wasn't really a critique of what he said explicitly but what was implied.  He's making an implicit comment on Nintendo's business model by what was explicitly said.  My comment was about what was implied, or at least what I believe was implied.  Anyone who makes a comment that somehow Nintendo's business model is flawed, bad or whatever negative word one would like to use doesn't realize how stupidly rich that company is.  I understand Tretton was making comments in hopes of bad-mouthing Sony's competition.  But silly, bad-mouthing still comes with implications that I can disagree with.    "
But his implication is pretty much that Nintendo's business model is aiming for the lowest common denominator, which isn't wrong and him stating that he doesn't want to do that with the PSP isn't a bad thing either. Admittedly, I feel like he's aiming for a niche in the market that is already taken by Apple but he also definitely aware of the brand identity he wants and it's not a toy that's sold to adults and kids alike by Beyonce.
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By zityz

Oh Jacky T. You so CRAZY!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By JasonR86
@HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @JasonR86 said:
It wasn't really a critique of what he said explicitly but what was implied.  He's making an implicit comment on Nintendo's business model by what was explicitly said.  My comment was about what was implied, or at least what I believe was implied.  Anyone who makes a comment that somehow Nintendo's business model is flawed, bad or whatever negative word one would like to use doesn't realize how stupidly rich that company is.  I understand Tretton was making comments in hopes of bad-mouthing Sony's competition.  But silly, bad-mouthing still comes with implications that I can disagree with.    "
But his implication is pretty much that Nintendo's business model is aiming for the lowest common denominator, which isn't wrong and him stating that he doesn't want to do that with the PSP isn't a bad thing either. Admittedly, I feel like he's aiming for a niche in the market that is already taken by Apple but he also definitely aware of the brand identity he wants and it's not a toy that's sold to adults and kids alike by Beyonce. "
Yeah, I get that his comments on the business model is fine from a philosophical standpoint.  But, strictly from a business standpoint, I would try to learn as much as I can from Nintendo because they know how to make a lot of money especially in the handheld market.  Ultimately, I think Sony is more interested in making money than making a philosophical statement.  I think it would be nice if this model would lead to a strong profit but, unless I'm mistaken, the PSP had a similar model and, though that system wasn't a failure, it couldn't come close to the DS.  I think if they use a similar business model with the NGP they will see the same results.
SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

Yeah I mean not a lot of people pull out their DS's out in public. But y'know what? I still think they're gonna do pretty alright for themselves. Sony's bragging about sustaining technology because that's the one thing they got going for them. It's silly to bash a company who's platform was profitable from day one when your company is still trying to break even (someone can correct me if PS3 hardware is now profitable, I haven't been keeping up).

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Enigma777
@damnboyadvance said:
" Um, who has sold more systems? Exactly. This guy needs to shut his mouth.I know plenty of adults who aren't embarrassed to play the Nintendo DS or Wii. We don't think it's immature. We think it's fun. "
And I know plenty who are. Honestly it's not a strech of the imagination to say that Nintendo caters to kids. See their lack of M-rated games for one or their adamant support for friend codes (those aren't there for adults). 

Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. Hell Big N makes a killing selling their toys to kids, but lets not lie to ourselves and say that the main target for their stuff is 18-35 males. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By HandsomeDead
@JasonR86 said:
" Yeah, I get that his comments on the business model is fine from a philosophical standpoint.  But, strictly from a business standpoint, I would try to learn as much as I can from Nintendo because they know how to make a lot of money especially in the handheld market.  Ultimately, I think Sony is more interested in making money than making a philosophical statement.  I think it would be nice if this model would lead to a strong profit but, unless I'm mistaken, the PSP had a similar model and, though that system wasn't a failure, it couldn't come close to the DS.  I think if they use a similar business model with the NGP they will see the same results. "
Obviously all companies want a profit, but I feel there's a much different ethos in how Sony want to get it from Nintendo. The DS has a dominating market share and so trying to ape that is going to get them nowhere but, like I say, the whole media device angle that they're going for is run by Apple at this point so I'd have said they were the target Tretton should be focusing on. The video game business has always been about intellectual lowballing and consumer nickel and diming and the idea of Sony trying to get away from that is something that I appreciate, even if it has failed in the past. It's a poor analogy for the point you and others are making, but it's like the idea that Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich's styles should be aped in movies because their films make the most at the box office.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#118  Edited By Skald

And while Sony and Nintendo do this whacky game, Apple is selling another million copies of Angry Birds Rio and Doodle Jump.

I'd like to see Sony and Nintendo get cool indie games like that, or at least sell their existing games for a buck.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Akeldama
@HandsomeDead said:
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By Rowr

I find his statements pretty accurate. Everytime i see my nieces and nephews they are glued to their ds's.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm 27 im not going to whip out a ds - fair enough if you have no social life, but i cant see myself getting away with that infront of any friends and family i know. If its a hi tech little gadget i use networking and internet like an iphone or the new psp, well thats different.

The ds is far more suited for kids, nothing wrong with that. But dont pretend mature adults whip this thing out.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By DeeGee
@Enigma777:  He didn't say their main target is that at all, he's just saying that adults buy these things too, while Tretton maintains that they are only for kids.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Enigma777
@DeeGee said:
" @Enigma777:  He didn't say their main target is that at all, he's just saying that adults buy these things too, while Tretton maintains that they are only for kids. "
Again, I still don't see the problem here. If 90% of the demographic is kids are you really going to get upset he didn't mention the other 10%? Sounds to me like picking at straws...
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Kjellm87
@Enigma777 said:
" @DeeGee said:
" @Enigma777:  He didn't say their main target is that at all, he's just saying that adults buy these things too, while Tretton maintains that they are only for kids. "
Again, I still don't see the problem here. If 90% of the demographic is kids are you really going to get upset he didn't mention the other 10%? Sounds to me like picking at straws... "
Do you have proof of this?
I always got the impression Nintendo try to reach out to everyone.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Enigma777
@Kjellm87 said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" @DeeGee said:
Again, I still don't see the problem here. If 90% of the demographic is kids are you really going to get upset he didn't mention the other 10%? Sounds to me like picking at straws... "
Do you have proof of this?I always got the impression Nintendo try to reach out to everyone. "
Proof of what? That the main audience for Nintendo handhelds is kids? Like I said before see lack of M-rated games, friend codes and the general way most games a re stylized to appeal to a younger audience. 

A good way to think about it is this: Nintendo is like the Pixar movies. Though their primary appeal is to kids there's enough in there that adults can also enjoy them.
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Kjellm87
@Enigma777 said:
" @Kjellm87 said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" @DeeGee said:
Do you have proof of this?I always got the impression Nintendo try to reach out to everyone. "
Proof of what? That the main audience for Nintendo handhelds is kids? Like I said before see lack of M-rated games, friend codes and the general way most games a re stylized to appeal to a younger audience. 

A good way to think about it is this: Nintendo is like the Pixar movies. Though their primary appeal is to kids there's enough in there that adults can also enjoy them.
"
Ok, here is what I gathered of this discussion and my consclusion: I think the 20+ DS userbase is more than huge enough so that Jack dude can keep comments like that for himself. It has no positive effect on any costumer. The DS is kids friendly, but I wouldn't consider it a kids handheld. It also have M rated games.
The way you putted it in the end there was nice enough btw.
DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By DonPixel

man speaks with truth

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Contro
@Enigma777 said:
" @DeeGee said:
@Enigma777 said:
" @Kjellm87 said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" @DeeGee said:

"

What orifice did you pluck that 90% figure from?. 

Nintendo makes games for "everyone", not just kids as you've lamely tried to imply to others, with a BS percentage. Nintendo has the oldest core fan-base in the history of videogames, this means many of it's fans ("core fans" as Nintendo calls them) are well into their 30's, such as myself. Nintendo makes games with a primary focus of appealing to all ages in this core group, who I should add are totally fine with games being designed to cater to all the family, not just kids. Games are always stylized to suit the goals of the game, not the audience.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By chrissedoff

nobody in the universe thinks a dude with a psp out in public is cool

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#129  Edited By damnboyadvance
@Enigma777 said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
And I know plenty who are. Honestly it's not a strech of the imagination to say that Nintendo caters to kids. See their lack of M-rated games for one or their adamant support for friend codes (those aren't there for adults). 

Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. Hell Big N makes a killing selling their toys to kids, but lets not lie to ourselves and say that the main target for their stuff is 18-35 males. 
"
Sure, there are males aged 18-35 embarrassed to play the Nintendo DS. But Tretton calls anybody 20+ "too old" to play the Nintendo DS. Or at least, any "self-respecting" twenty year old.

That's obviously not true.