Jeff and Ryan suck at (mocking) Castlevania Judgment.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

The title pretty much says it all, really.

Well, no, maybe not, but they sure didn't even give it a shot.

I'm not going to defend the game (not even because I wracked up a ridiculous number of points by editing the Castlevania Judgment page) because no, it's not a great game.  Not that I ever expected it to be when I bought it.  (Yes, I bought it.  Day one, as a matter of fact.)  What I was hoping for when I bought it was not the Next Great Castlevania Game, but a simple brawler made by the Castlevania team where they allowed themselves to get goofy with the characters.  And that's what I got, more or less.  It's brainless, but it's about what I expected, and I have fun with it.

To put it another way, I would have been retarded to expect Street Fighter-level fighting game quality out of it, and doubly retarded to expect a more traditional Castlevania game when it's obviously a non-canonical one-off.  That being said, Jeff and Ryan are more than entitled to their views on the game and are free to say what they want about it.

Now, as for Jeff and Ryan's video, it's not that they obviously made the video to poke fun at the game that I have a problem with, but more or less the fact that they attacked it with all of the ferocity of a sloth with Mononucleosis.  They both felt nothing but total disinterest toward the game.  It was like they played it to make fun of it out of some sort of obligation.

I guess my point is that if Jeff and Ryan want to continue making attempts at making game videos that are the reviewer's equivalent of Mystery Science Theater 3000, they should remember that for all of the jokes and vitriol that the MST3K characters slung at the movies they watched, they at least put effort and even heart into it to make it entertaining.  The series wouldn't have grown beyond its cable access roots if they went after The Crawling Eye with the apathy they showed Castlevania Judgment.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

The title pretty much says it all, really.

Well, no, maybe not, but they sure didn't even give it a shot.

I'm not going to defend the game (not even because I wracked up a ridiculous number of points by editing the Castlevania Judgment page) because no, it's not a great game.  Not that I ever expected it to be when I bought it.  (Yes, I bought it.  Day one, as a matter of fact.)  What I was hoping for when I bought it was not the Next Great Castlevania Game, but a simple brawler made by the Castlevania team where they allowed themselves to get goofy with the characters.  And that's what I got, more or less.  It's brainless, but it's about what I expected, and I have fun with it.

To put it another way, I would have been retarded to expect Street Fighter-level fighting game quality out of it, and doubly retarded to expect a more traditional Castlevania game when it's obviously a non-canonical one-off.  That being said, Jeff and Ryan are more than entitled to their views on the game and are free to say what they want about it.

Now, as for Jeff and Ryan's video, it's not that they obviously made the video to poke fun at the game that I have a problem with, but more or less the fact that they attacked it with all of the ferocity of a sloth with Mononucleosis.  They both felt nothing but total disinterest toward the game.  It was like they played it to make fun of it out of some sort of obligation.

I guess my point is that if Jeff and Ryan want to continue making attempts at making game videos that are the reviewer's equivalent of Mystery Science Theater 3000, they should remember that for all of the jokes and vitriol that the MST3K characters slung at the movies they watched, they at least put effort and even heart into it to make it entertaining.  The series wouldn't have grown beyond its cable access roots if they went after The Crawling Eye with the apathy they showed Castlevania Judgment.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

It has quite some depth really the game actually has attack cancels and guard breaks super, hyper moves, juggling, dodging etc... It is not a good game put it has way more depth to it then they showed of.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Some games you know will be bad before they are released just by the trailers shown previously for it.

Anyway, I disagree, I found the video with Jeff and Ryan's commentary to be quite amusing and I don't see why they should boast a game that they find terrible.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Endogene

You should at least play a game more than 20 min before boasting it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

"What I was hoping for when I bought it was not the Next Great Castlevania Game, but a simple brawler made by the Castlevania team where they allowed themselves to get goofy with the characters.  And that's what I got, more or less.  It's brainless, but it's about what I expected, and I have fun with it."
And well, that's what I got out of the video. Some may see it as some sort of vile attack on the game, but I just saw a couple of guys goofing around and having fun. And that's alright with me.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Endogene

Nothing wrong with that but not everyone watching that video sees it that way. Sure there are plenty of people who are going " yeah i saw some guys playing it and it looked like shit, the only thing you do is waggle the wii remote to attack".

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

Most people made up their mind already that the game is shit. At least by watching the video they can get a bit more exposure to it and maybe decide that perhaps the game doesn't suck so much after all.
To be honest, I had expected worse from the game. The video made it look better than I expected, even though Jeff and Ryan weren't enthusiastic about it.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brukaoru

I'm still not seeing any issue here. If someone cares enough to look more into this game, then they'd probably watch other videos and/or read reviews, or get the game for themselves and form their own opinion. Jeff and Ryan think the game is terrible, and their remarks about the game in the video reflected that, I don't see anything wrong with this.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

Jeff and Ryan made fun of a game I like!!! WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH!

Please go cry somewhere else.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
brukaoru said:
"I'm still not seeing any issue here. If someone cares enough to look more into this game, then they'd probably watch other videos and/or read reviews, or get the game for themselves and form their own opinion. Jeff and Ryan think the game is terrible, and their remarks about the game in the video reflected that, I don't see anything wrong with this."
It's not that they think that the game is terrible.  That is not the issue.  It's that they didn't even sound like they cared one way or another.  They seemed to spend more time mocking the enunciation of the game's title than anything specifically gameplay related.  Obviously, the video itself is not a review, and I doubt that Jeff and Ryan expect it to be treated as such, but if their apathy displayed in the video makes me wonder why they bothered recording it in the first place.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel
Milkman said:
"Jeff and Ryan made fun of a game I like!!! WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH!

Please go cry somewhere else."
Read what I wrote before trolling.  It might make you look less dumb.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brukaoru
Hailinel said:
"...but if their apathy displayed in the video makes me wonder why they bothered recording it in the first place."
For laughs? Obviously it wasn't supposed to be anything resembling a review. Most users on this site, as evidenced by some of the comments in the video, want more videos like that and I'm sure that's big reason why they decided to record it. 
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
Hailinel said:
"It's not that they think that the game is terrible.  That is not the issue.  It's that they didn't even sound like they cared one way or another.  They seemed to spend more time mocking the enunciation of the game's title than anything specifically gameplay related.  Obviously, the video itself is not a review, and I doubt that Jeff and Ryan expect it to be treated as such, but if their apathy displayed in the video makes me wonder why they bothered recording it in the first place."
For fun? They do things like this all the time. CoD:WaW Soundboards, 2Human, the Age of Booty video previews (fucking hilarious), etc. It's just how they roll. They really don't care one way or the other; they just found something entertaining and decided to bring it to the community. If you don't like it, that's ok, but you need to at least understand *what* they're doing before you criticize how they're doing it.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Endogene
Milkman said:

Cry? Like? I absolutely hate that game, playing it with the wii remote nunchuck combo makes your arm feel like it is about to fall of as soon as you finish the arcade mode once,some of the fights can be extremely frustration, some of the characters look plain out horrible (especially Carmilla, the character that granted this game the breast bounce concept) and some extremely cheesy dialogue. However the game has a couple of pros that some people might be interested in plus it has gamecube/classic controller support so the motion controls can be worked around if so desired.

I know that this video is just for the hell of it it is not like it is a review and my initial opinion was exactly the same but like many things you should not judge a book by it's cover and i grew to apreciate some of the things that that game has to offer. And what happens when some  people (i am well aware that most of those watching this will not pay any attention to it) see such a video is just that, they judge it by its cover and in my opinion that is unfair towards the game.

I would say the same for any game really.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
Jayge said:
"Hailinel said:
"It's not that they think that the game is terrible.  That is not the issue.  It's that they didn't even sound like they cared one way or another.  They seemed to spend more time mocking the enunciation of the game's title than anything specifically gameplay related.  Obviously, the video itself is not a review, and I doubt that Jeff and Ryan expect it to be treated as such, but if their apathy displayed in the video makes me wonder why they bothered recording it in the first place."
For fun? They do things like this all the time. CoD:WaW Soundboards, 2Human, the Age of Booty video previews (fucking hilarious), etc. It's just how they roll. They really don't care one way or the other; they just found something entertaining and decided to bring it to the community. If you don't like it, that's ok, but you need to at least understand *what* they're doing before you criticize how they're doing it."
That's the problem, really.  The Age of Booty drunken debauchery was obviously meant to be funny (and bizarrely enough heartily endorsed by Capcom).  Same for the Too Human video (though not heartily endorsed by Denis Dyack.)  The problem with the Castlevania Judgment video was that it really wasn't all that funny.  It was just Jeff and Ryan sitting there playing a game they had no interest in and making rather bland commentary regarding it.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead

I thought the video was hilarious and has made me more interested in Castlevania: Judgement than ever. Still, it's not like I'm going to buy it, but whatever.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Milkman
Hailinel said:
"Jayge said:
"Hailinel said:
For fun? They do things like this all the time. CoD:WaW Soundboards, 2Human, the Age of Booty video previews (fucking hilarious), etc. It's just how they roll. They really don't care one way or the other; they just found something entertaining and decided to bring it to the community. If you don't like it, that's ok, but you need to at least understand *what* they're doing before you criticize how they're doing it."
That's the problem, really.  The Age of Booty drunken debauchery was obviously meant to be funny (and bizarrely enough heartily endorsed by Capcom).  Same for the Too Human video (though not heartily endorsed by Denis Dyack.)  The problem with the Castlevania Judgment video was that it really wasn't all that funny.  It was just Jeff and Ryan sitting there playing a game they had no interest in and making rather bland commentary regarding it."
But here's the thing: It was funny.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
Milkman said:
"But here's the thing: It was funny."
Hilarious actually, I'm 2/3 through it and chuckling through the whole thing. It's not Engrish.com funny, but it's damn funny.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
Endogene said:
"Milkman said:

Cry? Like? I absolutely hate that game, playing it with the wii remote nunchuck combo makes your arm feel like it is about to fall of as soon as you finish the arcade mode once,some of the fights can be extremely frustration, some of the characters look plain out horrible (especially Carmilla, the character that granted this game the breast bounce concept) and some extremely cheesy dialogue. However the game has a couple of pros that some people might be interested in plus it has gamecube/classic controller support so the motion controls can be worked around if so desired.

I know that this video is just for the hell of it it is not like it is a review and my initial opinion was exactly the same but like many things you should not judge a book by it's cover and i grew to apreciate some of the things that that game has to offer. And what happens when some  people (i am well aware that most of those watching this will not pay any attention to it) see such a video is just that, they judge it by its cover and in my opinion that is unfair towards the game.

I would say the same for any game really.

"
Indeed.  There are things about the game that really aren't that good.  It can be an exercise in frustration, at times.  All the same, I still find the game fun despite its faults.  (And unlike Endogene, I actually don't mind any of the character designs that much.)  Not everyone is going to think the same way, obviously, but it's been my experience that people on the internet are particularly prone to judging books by their covers.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pause422
Milkman said:

Exactly.  I'll never understand why people take the time out to do this kinda shit. If you like the game or have the least amount of fun with it, then no one elses opinion of anything about it should matter to you. This is like the kid who cries on forums that reviewers are fanboys of Sony or something for giving Halo 3 a 9.5 and not a 10. It honestly is pointless.
Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By RelentlessKnight

I really hate these threads, it makes me wonder why people like to judge other people's humour.

They are making their first impressions of about the game, ever since they went to E3 and saw this game hoping the potential will finally come in this final version.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel

And the funniest thing I find about this entire thread of conversation are the people that are rushing to knock me for being a fanboy despite the fact that my criticism is not with Jeff and Ryan's apparent opinion of the game, but their methodology in making the video.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PureRok

I wanted the game before the video and I still want it after watching the video. Weird. In my mind I know it's not that good, but... logic just doesn't work very well with me when I've decided I want something.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead
Hailinel said:
"And the funniest thing I find about this entire thread of conversation are the people that are rushing to knock me for being a fanboy despite the fact that my criticism is not with Jeff and Ryan's apparent opinion of the game, but their methodology in making the video."
I bet you don't find it funny that people are knocking you. If you weren't a fanboy, you'd be able to see the humour in the video and enjoy it like the rest of us.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel
HandsomeDead said:
"Hailinel said:
"And the funniest thing I find about this entire thread of conversation are the people that are rushing to knock me for being a fanboy despite the fact that my criticism is not with Jeff and Ryan's apparent opinion of the game, but their methodology in making the video."
I bet you don't find it funny that people are knocking you. If you weren't a fanboy, you'd be able to see the humour in the video and enjoy it like the rest of us."
You're saying that my inability to see the humor means that I must be a fanboy?

...You never took a course in Logic, did you?
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Dalai

The video was pretty funny... not their best work, but funny nevertheless.

I haven't played the game, but the overall concept sounds dumb and the gameplay looks uninteresting.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LordAndrew

Humour is different for different people. Unfortunately some people on the site think that everyone has to find the same things funny.
I do enjoy their humour most of the time, but sometimes I just get burned out on that stuff and wish they'd be a bit more serious.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead
Hailinel said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Hailinel said:
I bet you don't find it funny that people are knocking you. If you weren't a fanboy, you'd be able to see the humour in the video and enjoy it like the rest of us."

...You never took a course in Logic, did you?"
Pretty much. It was a funny video and just because they weren't doing a full stand up comedy routine doesn't mean they were half arsing it. You obviously feel something for the game or you wouldn't have typed those vitriolic paragraphs so the concept of you looking like a pissed off fanboy isn't too far out there.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel
HandsomeDead said:
"Hailinel said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Hailinel said:

...You never took a course in Logic, did you?"
Pretty much. It was a funny video and just because they weren't doing a full stand up comedy routine doesn't mean they were half arsing it. You obviously feel something for the game or you wouldn't have typed those vitriolic paragraphs so the concept of you looking like a pissed off fanboy isn't too far out there."
You call what I wrote vitriol?  Do you know what that word even means?  That was not vitriol, I can assure of that.  That was an attempt at constructive criticism.  Maybe you've heard of the phrase?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jayge_
Hailinel said:
"You call what I wrote vitriol?  Do you know what that word even means?  That was not vitriol, I can assure of that.  That was an attempt at constructive criticism.  Maybe you've heard of the phrase?"
It wasn't very constructive; all it did was demonstrate that you're a bit too much of a tight-ass.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel
Jayge said:
"Hailinel said:
"You call what I wrote vitriol?  Do you know what that word even means?  That was not vitriol, I can assure of that.  That was an attempt at constructive criticism.  Maybe you've heard of the phrase?"
It wasn't very constructive; all it did was demonstrate that you're a bit too much of a tight-ass."
Care to elaborate on how, or are you just going to let your insults do your talking for you?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jayge_
Hailinel said:
"Care to elaborate on how, or are you just going to let your insults do your talking for you?"
Your continued insistence that, for whatever reason, their apparent apathy towards the game is somehow doing it an injustice, combined with your repeated assertions that the video was not at all funny, both speak volumes in terms of your ability to say "meh" and move on. It's certainly not an issue that really warrants its own large topic. If you really didn't care as much (hence: were less of a tight-ass) than you would have just dropped it already, since you apparently have no point and any point anyone else has made apparently doesn't count as a point to you either.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LordAndrew

He says it because that's how he feels.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead
Hailinel said:
Were there even any constructive elements to what you said besides asking them to be funnier? I have a feeling you wouldn't have been this interested were the video about something you didn't get 700+ points for writing about.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel
Jayge said:
"Hailinel said:
"Care to elaborate on how, or are you just going to let your insults do your talking for you?"
Your continued insistence that, for whatever reason, their apparent apathy towards the game is somehow doing it an injustice, combined with your repeated assertions that the video was not at all funny, both speak volumes in terms of your ability to say "meh" and move on. It's certainly not an issue that really warrants its own large topic. If you really didn't care as much (hence: were less of a tight-ass) than you would have just dropped it already, since you apparently have no point and any point anyone else has made apparently doesn't count as a point to you either."
No, their apathy toward the game makes the video decidedly less than entertaining.  It's like their prodding at the game out of of some sort of obligation rather than doing it because they want to.

And just because I find the video to be "meh" as you put it does not mean that I can't speak my mind about it.  If you don't care about the topic that much, why did you respond in the first place?  You're apparently as much of a tight-ass as I am.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jayge_
Hailinel said:
"No, their apathy toward the game makes the video decidedly less than entertaining.  It's like their prodding at the game out of of some sort of obligation rather than doing it because they want to.

And just because I find the video to be "meh" as you put it does not mean that I can't speak my mind about it.  If you don't care about the topic that much, why did you respond in the first place?  You're apparently as much of a tight-ass as I am."
By the end of that video, you could tell they were only still playing out of obligation. It's like standing around for 20 minutes poking a dead thing with a stick while it makes odd wheezing noises. You don't want to do it, but you know that for some reason, you just have to. I'm sitting here chuckling at you. I'm not being uptight about anything or getting what seems to be offended on a personal level, the way you are. The fact that you're still so vehement about the entire subject is humorous to me. Why *are* you still here? Do you feel like you've somehow lost an incredibly valuable chunk of time to the video? Was the fact that it was so lacking in entertainment value (to you) bother you so much that you need to go bonkers?

I mean, really. It's not like they had to be funny. The video obviously wasn't made for *you*. It was for people who might have wanted to see a good chunk of Judgement footage. The humor side of it is an added bonus. Like I said before. You need to understand what they're doing before you criticize how they go about doing it.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
HandsomeDead said:
"Hailinel said:
Were there even any constructive elements to what you said besides asking them to be funnier? I have a feeling you wouldn't have been this interested were the video about something you didn't get 700+ points for writing about."
To quote myself:

"I guess my point is that if Jeff and Ryan want to continue making attempts at making game videos that are the reviewer's equivalent of Mystery Science Theater 3000, they should remember that for all of the jokes and vitriol that the MST3K characters slung at the movies they watched, they at least put effort and even heart into it to make it entertaining.  The series wouldn't have grown beyond its cable access roots if they went after The Crawling Eye with the apathy they showed Castlevania Judgment."

It's hard to find something like this funny when no effort has been put into it.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel
Jayge said:
"Hailinel said:
"No, their apathy toward the game makes the video decidedly less than entertaining.  It's like their prodding at the game out of of some sort of obligation rather than doing it because they want to.

And just because I find the video to be "meh" as you put it does not mean that I can't speak my mind about it.  If you don't care about the topic that much, why did you respond in the first place?  You're apparently as much of a tight-ass as I am."
By the end of that video, you could tell they were only still playing out of obligation. It's like standing around for 20 minutes poking a dead thing with a stick while it makes odd wheezing noises. You don't want to do it, but you know that for some reason, you just have to. I'm sitting here chuckling at you. I'm not being uptight about anything or getting what seems to be offended on a personal level, the way you are. The fact that you're still so vehement about the entire subject is humorous to me. Why *are* you still here? Do you feel like you've somehow lost an incredibly valuable chunk of time to the video? Was the fact that it was so lacking in entertainment value (to you) bother you so much that you need to go bonkers?

I mean, really. It's not like they had to be funny. The video obviously wasn't made for *you*. It was for people who might have wanted to see a good chunk of Judgement footage. The humor side of it is an added bonus. Like I said before. You need to understand what they're doing before you criticize how they go about doing it."
Jeff and Ryan had no obligation to be funny, but if they were going to demonstrate the game for the general public without going through the process of a full review, I'd imagine that the least they could have done would have been to learn the controls beforehand, and maybe select control schemes they preferred if any of them outside of the default Wii Remote controls were more appealing to them.  That would have provided a better demonstration of the game than simply sliding the game in and mucking around for a few matches while only making a cursory attempt at learning the controls.

Think of it this way.  If Ryan or Jeff were to make a similar video for Metal Gear Solid 4 and spent twenty minutes flailing around in the game because they didn't understand the controls or the way the game played, would that make for a good demonstration?  No, not really.