Jeff complained about Flash Player, so why does Giant Bomb still use it?

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nagafen

If you're not Premium you have to use Flash, if you watch any live stuff you have to use Flash. It basically means you have to use Youtube for all the Free stuff and then wait for live shows to be uploaded to watch them. If I watch HTML5 videos my Laptop is silent and nice, it runs at a cool temp and the battery life is fine. As soon as I watch a Flash video the fan spins up, battery life goes to crap and the thing runs at 90c.

Flash sucks, Jeff is right, yet Giantbomb continue to use it instead of HTML5..... you guys need to switch to HTML5 only or at the very least start a subscription channel on Youtube to get away from this sites crappy Flash video player.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm fairly sure we'll be getting a new video player between now and the end of the year, so we'll see.

Nixamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Counter point: Neither of my modern PCs running Win 10 can get through an entire video without it stopping at least once on HTML 5. Have no such problems with Flash.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's interesting, cause he has several times complained about how PSN doesn't allow it's users to change their name. As far as I know, this site doesn't have that feature either.

Oh, Jeff.

trebile35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff is still tied to CBSi, don't forget that. These changes take time to implement on a corporate level and Giant Bomb is only a small part of that.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@nixamo said:

Counter point: Neither of my modern PCs running Win 10 can get through an entire video without it stopping at least once on HTML 5. Have no such problems with Flash.

Well, that is your problem. For most people, HTML5 video works significantly better than Flash.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

It's interesting, cause he has several times complained about how PSN doesn't allow it's users to change their name. As far as I know, this site doesn't have that feature either.

Oh, Jeff.

Premium users can change their username once.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Which videos are flash? I'm assuming the player will use a fallback if HTML 5 isn't supported in your browser. But other than that I can only think of Flash being used for live video broadcasts, and that's mostly because they're using RTMP to publish stream data (as far as I can tell). I could be wrong but I don't think this isn't currently possible to do with HTML5. I work on video streaming tech, not player tech, so I'm mostly just going off my experience heh.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By katpottz

Doesn't really apply to giant bomb content but Flash right now is way better at audio looping.

(edit: also is there any central tool for making html5 content like there was with flash professional?)

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:
@bojackhorseman said:

Oh, Jeff.

Premium users can change their username once.

I should change my username to eggonmyface.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@charlie_victor_bravo: Not true. The vast majority of users have legacy devices which can run flash better rather than modern devices optimised for HTML5. While every user can use HTML5 without the use of other plug-ins, most users aren't optimised for it in the same way that Adobe pushed for Flash to become the default.

HTML5 is great, but a default option of Flash will work for more users than you think.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nixamo said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat. The youtube player plays better for me than the other one.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Oh, Jeff.

Not allowing constant name changes is a deliberate move on our part to prevent confusion on the message boards and to stop people from doing a bunch of weird "I'm going to impersonate this account for a day, then change my name again" crap. Your idea that we're supposed to have 1:1 parity with any product or service that we may cover or criticize is pretty ridiculous.

Also, yes, Flash sucks. If I could snap my fingers tomorrow and not have it on the site, don't you think I would have done that by now? We may move into surfacing a mix of YouTube and whatever the new video player ends up looking like, depending on how good/not good that new video player is, if that gets us away from Flash sooner.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BojackHorseman

@jeff: Good reasoning. For the record, it wasn't meant as a jab at you, it was just a (bad) joke.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By matatat

@jeff: One thing I've always been curious about is why engineering decided to roll their own player instead of either purchasing one or using an open source player? At least it sounds like it was homemade since I believe there was an engineer on a video who was supposedly working on development of it.

I also ask because I've heard working on players is a pain in the ass.

Sparklehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sparklehorse

@jeff: I know this is kind of an outrageous request, but please don't just upload embedded YouTube links instead of having your own native video player. I live in a country where YouTube is blocked, and while getting around that block isn't very hard, it's more of a inconvenience. I've been subscribed for years only because this is better entertainment than most YouTube garbage.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash is awful, Steve Jobs was right.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By matatat

@counterclockwork87: It's biggest downside is that it's an external plugin that you have to manage independent from your browser. It's upsides are that you don't have to worry about browser compatibility and it ensure more security with DRM'd material. It's why things like Netflix on desktop still want to use Silverlight for its player even though it's been dead for a few years now. The stability those plugins provide makes developing using them way easier, and a more consistent experience for all users, but it also puts a burden on the end user to make sure their flash player is up to date, installed, etc.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Html5 is still premium only? They shoukd make it usable for everybody. I like having the different options because sometimes html5 bugs out for me and stutters and pauses like crazy, then i switch to streaming or something else.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guarantee its because they insert ads for non premium members.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me just run down to the website store and pick up a new video player! I'm sure it won't break anything!

Listen dude, there is a reason people that build giant complex websites like this one are called "engineers." It's not because it's easy and straight forward, give them some time.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

We are building a new video player right now! It's getting close to done! We're in the process of testing and making it look pretty. The goal is to release it as an opt in beta before we go live with it. Stay tuned!!

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: Maybe you'd be better equipped to answer my question than @jeff is :)

@matatat said:

@jeff: One thing I've always been curious about is why engineering decided to roll their own player instead of either purchasing one or using an open source player? At least it sounds like it was homemade since I believe there was an engineer on a video who was supposedly working on development of it.

I also ask because I've heard working on players is a pain in the ass.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@matatat: So the main reason is to standardize across all of the CBS sites, this means that we can do some specific integration with our video encoding and distributing systems. Also another big reason is ads and view tracking, because all of CBS is on the same player they can standardize the kinds of ads they sell across all the sites and also standardize the way video view statistics are tracked. Gotta keep the lights on ya know.

On a more fun note, it also allows us to do things like saving preferences (like volume, quality, size, etc.) resuming from saved position, and Andre the Giant hover animations :)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nice to see some response I didn't get in my thread two months ago. Happy to hear atleast something is being done to phase out flash.

Atta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes have huge problems playing back video on GB. It constantly stutters to the point of being unwatchable, yet the audio continues normally. it's gotten so bad that I started watching all videos on youtube and needing to download most premium videos to be able to watch. sometimes, when going to the video download part I can actually stream allright from there, since it buffers a bit.

using the latest firefox on win 10 and live in germany. if anyone has tips for me on how to counteract the problem, do share. hopefully the new video player will help out with that.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@wcarle said:

We are building a new video player right now! It's getting close to done! We're in the process of testing and making it look pretty. The goal is to release it as an opt in beta before we go live with it. Stay tuned!!

Can't wait!

Sparklehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: China, and like I said, the block is relatively easy if you have money and a VPN, but I dig that GB stuff has its own video player.

@ripelivejam:I know...always makes me sad that they're gone. Painbirds.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: China, and like I said, the block is relatively easy if you have money and a VPN, but I dig that GB stuff has its own video player.

@ripelivejam:I know...always makes me sad that they're gone. Painbirds.

Is it true? You know, that China Don't Care?

Avatar image for thekitkatshuffler
thekitkatshuffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Use Flow Player if you can. Then I can watch your streams on my Xbox One/PS4 and not have to kill my laptop in the process.

Of course I know that won't happen but if you can make whatever solution you go with work on consoles, that would be peachy.