• 134 results
mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By mems1224

Glad to see Heat Signature get some love as well as Steamworld Dog 2.

JRocha93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how well Jeff explains things and his insight and am mortified to learn that my tastes line up more with Dan than Jeff. I had a ton of issues with BOTW, mainly the dungeons and boss battles being terrible but it's definitely one of my top games ever with the feelings and thoughts it gave me.

BrennRambles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think I might need to get Steam World Dig 2 now. I'm shocked by some of the games on this list like Nier. However, a lot of these are very Jeff games. The biggest shock though is Splatoon being here, super wicked!

Kaneis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is SteamWorld Dig 2 really that good? I finished the first game feeling like a blasted through a shallow experience that only propelled me to go downwards. I should go check out that Quick Look.

Thanks Jeff for always keeping it real. Everything on this site continues my interest in video games from the sticks and buttons, to everything around them.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

Horizon really not getting any love, huh?

Avatar image for mint_kjell_olav
Mint_Kjell_Olav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@captaininvictus: Downloading the demo now, it's only on PS4 it seems but that's fine.

mehrdadkazem87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Horizon! But a great list.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like Jeff still really enjoyed Horizon. But it was a helluva year with a lot of great games, so he probably just found things he liked more. BotW is also still incredible and it's cool Jeff didn't take to it.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ripelivejam: Also its not like its a requirement that everyone should rave around these games.

This year pretty much feels like some had a alternative take on games in general. However theres so many lists here released at Giant Bomb that theres a list for everyone!

Kick_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zelda was a bad game so no surprises there.

C'mon...it doesn't have to be in your personal top 10 or anything but saying it's flat out bad is ridiculous.

epicp0tato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Putting Everything on this list just cements this as the GOTY list everyone can agree on

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

ARMA is really cleaning up this year.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: Also, Nioh. The best souls game since DS1 and the best thing the Gaiden team has made since Ninja Gaiden 2.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Everyone surprised by Nier when I can't believe Splatoon made the cut. I knew Jeff enjoyed 2 more then the first, but didn't think it would make his list. Good stuff!

guip1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 153

Jeff bashed the Zelda open world and still managed to put AC: Origins in here, wow!

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Homelessbird

Man. Seems insane to me to not put Zelda on here somewhere. I mean, I know he didnt take to it, but I think that game is going to have more of an influence on the industry in general than PUBG. I get it, but I kinda dont get it

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ALavaPenguin

I actually really liked 2017

PressStart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I have heard so much about Nier this year. I think I am going to have to play it. Sounds like an awesome experience.

mitchuation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PuBG is the game of the decade, warts and all. Close second is mario maker

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Damn son, Horizon didn't even make the "The Rest" list.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I always enjoy the thoughtful, considered approach to your GOTY lists that blend the best games of a given year with their social & historical implications. Your description of PUBG is going to get me to dive deeper into it, either as a player or spectator.

Thanks Jeff!

KgKris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By KgKris

The Puppet Master sends his regards to BOTW.

#StillaThreat

RGSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By RGSmith

Nice to see Heat Signature getting some love. That is my guilty pleasure game this year.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2017 has kinda made me consider that perhaps I've just grown out of multiplayer shooters.

I get why people like PUBG. I just can't get into it. When it came out, the first turn off was being stuck in a plane with the 100 most racist people on the internet. Now, shooter voice chat has been cancer since CoD 4 so I just turned it off and tried to carry on. But every game was just...run from house to house looking for stuff I probably won't use, and probably die in the process.

It all felt like a waste of time if I didn't win, or at least get close enough for it to come down to the final melee vs. the arbitrary randomness of picking the same place someone else did to search. And the end game of PUBG, when you play enough to increase your matchmaking rank, seems to be an arena of cheat bots, if streams are to be believed.

I think what I need out of multiplayer is quicker rounds, because this is the same problem that turned me off of MOBAs, tolerating a community of angry and racist people only to feel let down after a loss. I feel the obvious response to my complaints is "get good, loser" but I feel like I would just find more enjoyment out of that time just playing the rest of Jeff's list.

EXCellR8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

Was waiting to see H:ZD @ numero uno spot but PUBG at least made me lol.

Whoever says Horizon is a generic game clearly hasn't played it for more than 10 minutes. Also, if same person doesn't state the same of PUBG... ??? That game looks and plays like it's from 2006.

Anyway, decent list I suppose.

omatictoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As always, my tastes / opinions on games line up nicely with Jeff's. Thanks for the read Jeff.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#129  Edited By graf1k

Even now after listening to the Best Game convo, I'm still a little shocked that Jeff was one of the ones carrying the Nier banner. Shocked, but pleasantly so. Didn't strike me as his type of game at all. Also a little surprised Jeff played Wolfenstein and Origins on XOX instead of PC.

Most shocking though is Giant Bomb opening offices in Baltimore.

FiukusDookus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cuphead should be higher on this list.

Oh wait it's BEST game.

Awesome list and write up.

Ollis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always enjoy reading/listening to Jeff's views on games since his answers are generally articulate and well thought out. His years of experience really show.

It seems I need to try Nier, a game I had completely passed over. I saw that it was also high on Austin's and Patrick's lists which is encouraging.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heat Signature is another on my long long list. Currently neck deep in anime tho. (xenoblade)

Gusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, my list was more aligned with Dan’s. I own most of the games on this list, now I have to check out the games on this list that I haven’t played.

reverendhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 11

I want Jeff Minter to make a new Mutant Camels game, dammit

DoctorSmirnoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This summarises perfectly (cos Jeff's awesome at writing) why I'm currently hooked on PUBG... that reference to Ubisoft press conference chat is spot on too.

"When you're out with you crew, driving around the hillsides, finding yourself on either the great side or the terrible side of an ambush, rolling cars and laughing it up, it's a weirdly social experience. But as soon as the shit jumps off, everyone snaps into a more serious mode. The voice chat starts to sound like those stupid Ubisoft press conferences. You're moving as a unit. You're getting shit done. You're sending other players back to the damned title screen, one bullet at a time. And, again, if you're me, you're eventually sent back there yourself. And it's easy to jump right back in."

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nice to see Steamworld Dig 2 up there, that game is amazing!

Avatar image for american_drag0n
American_Drag0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good ass list and sick-ass goomba stacks!

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#141  Edited By FunkyHugo

Great list. Thanks, Jeff!