Jeff's Magical Sound Board

hivemindeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been getting real jealous of that soundboard with all the button's Jeff has. I want to get one of my own but have no idea what it actually is. Does anyone have any insight on that? Is it a MIDI Controller or something? Has he talked specifically about what the piece of hardware is? Does he use a separate program to load custom sound effects onto it? Life is hard and confusing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I believe it's one of Novation's Launchpad models, but I'm unsure of which one. He has mentioned it at some point, but I've forgotten where. But, yes, it's a standard MIDI controller, and I think he has just set up the soundboard as sample instruments in a DAW (he has also mentioned which DAW at some point, but right now I can't recall if it was FL Studio, Ableton or something else). It has no built-in sounds in itself, it just triggers the sounds on his computer.

Anyway, shouldn't be hard to replicate using any kind of Grid based MIDI controller and any DAW you can put samples as individual instruments in, then just set the instrument to be monophonic so it cuts itself out and starts over when you push the button over and over.

Lionsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

I believe it's one of Novation's Launchpad models, but I'm unsure of which one. He has mentioned it at some point, but I've forgotten where. But, yes, it's a standard MIDI controller, and I think he has just set up the soundboard as sample instruments in a DAW (he has also mentioned which DAW at some point, but right now I can't recall if it was FL Studio, Ableton or something else). It has no built-in sounds in itself, it just triggers the sounds on his computer.

Anyway, shouldn't be hard to replicate using any kind of Grid based MIDI controller and any DAW you can put samples as individual instruments in, then just set the instrument to be monophonic so it cuts itself out and starts over when you push the button over and over.

Oh wow, it's a physical device? This changes everything!

The problem is when someone says "soundboard" I imagine a terrible website from the 90s with low bit rate wav files playing when you hit a button that someone made in Microsoft Frontpage.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fisk0  Moderator

@lionsy: Yes, it's a controller similar to these (but as I said, I don't know the exact model Jeff is using), with each button playing a different sound.

No Caption Provided

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

He uses his MIND

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Charongreed

If you want to go a completely different and somewhat technically annoying but free route, I use Resanace and a virtual audio cable to pipe my mic and the soundboard into discord. Its not without its problems, including having to toggle Listen in the audio device manager every time I use discord, but its a free way to start playing with one.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fisk0  Moderator