Jim Sterling- witty games journalist or unprofessional troll?

• 81 results
Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moreau_MD

I tend to think Jim's somewhere in the middle. He's quite funny and on point most of the time, but occasionally he just goes way overboard. I don't think he actively seeks to be controversial just for controversies sake, but, it's pretty clear he loves to get a rise out of certain people from time to time. Take this recent reference to the state of the Final Fantasy series 'When did you start to realize that Final Fantasy was pissing all over itself like a four-year-old at a Yo Gabba Gabba dance party?' Really?...I mean...really? Joke or not that's a pretty sick image to conjure up. There's a difference between being an 'uncompromising' games journalist and just plain fucked in the head.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai

A witty unprofessional troll.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By onarum

Neither, he's just an asshole.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

@Mordukai said:

This. Sterling knows what drives page views. People love to get themselves angry over stupid shit, so he's more than happy to exaggerate his complaints and take in all the extra ad revenue.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

probably a little bit of both

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By craigbo180

Hes straight trollin' and it's working for him quite nicely so can't really hate on that.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Mordukai said:

He gets paid to do it, so I guess we can safely call him a "professional".

oblique_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oblique_

All I have to say about Jim Sterling is that after seeing a headline written by him that said "InsertGameNameHere makes me spurt jism out of my peepee" or something almost exactly like that I deleted my Destructoid bookmark.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By soldierg654342

It's a persona. He written a few opinion pieces "out of character" and they were perfectly fine, so I suppose that makes him a professional troll. For good or ill though, his "trolling" seems to have gotten more people to start using a wider range of their grading scales.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai

@JoeyRavn said:

@Mordukai said:

His unprofessionalism pertains to his work etiquette and not his job description. However, you did put the word Professional in quotation marks so...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooty

I still think Destructoid's a great site for RPG fans. Dale North puts out good content.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By metalmoog

I like the man. He's not boring and doesn't recycle the opinions of everyone else. When most reviewers try to be overly professional and self important, Sterling lets it fly. Critics be damned the dude has balls and I love his trollin. He's the only reviewer that blasted Assassin's Creed II that i've read. I applaud him.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FourWude

Where's the option for obnoxious fat bastard?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I think the term is "dick".

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By knetic2341

@craigbo180 said:

Hes straight trollin' and it's working for him quite nicely so can't really hate on that.

Yeah, I usually like seeing people react to him. Always enjoyable. Never been affected by one of his statements yet.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThePickle

Option C: Person I don't know.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By beargirl1

i like him. he writes entertaining stuff and it's fun to see people get angry at him

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By huntad

I think he has some good points some of the time, but he always comes off as either a total prick, or a whiny bitch so I don't read any of his articles for those reasons.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IBurningStar
@FourWude said:

Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Evil_Alaska

People take video games way too fucking seriously. I'm glad Sterling doesn't.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 71Ranchero

I think of him as the alpha nerd on a soap box but not in a good way. This guys shtick is to be abrasive, its just a show he puts on and I find that pretty sad.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'd say the first. He has his troll-like moments obviously, but in reality, he's just as serious about his job as anyone on the GB crew. I think the only reason people call him a troll is because he happens to speak his mind a lot more often, which sometimes clearly strays from popular opinion, and for one reason or another, people get deeply offended.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By benpicko

@Evil_Alaska said:

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Synthballs

@FourWude said:

This. He is a fat untalented bastard who I can't stand. Whenever I see a post by him I shudder because I know it's going to be an awful read. The whole site he writes for has this giant anti-Nintendo vibe that I just can't stand.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wickedsc3

@JoeyRavn said:

@Mordukai said:

Just because you get paid for something doesn't mean your a professional.

Yes he is very unprofessional, take the whole thing that happened with the Gears 3 review he did. He played the game and wrote the review in 1 day just so he could get it out when the embargo lifted. After reading that I decided his reviews are not credible at all nor is he professional. Then when his review gets a bunch of hate he writes a big long article trying to defend himself. He knew that his review caused a bunch of talk and so he tried to capitalize on it by keeping people talking and hitting the site about it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TobbRobb

Wow, seriously? Why the hate? He is just catering to his customers, a lot of people like his trolly, nonserious attitude and his articles always contain a grain of thruth behind the cover of his over the top dickishness. And saying that he is a bad writer is just a lie, he knows how to create an entertaining read for people who don't have a stick up their ass.

Deff_Janiels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Deff_Janiels

Yes everyone, the man who gets paid to write "<insert game name here> makes me jizz" stories and create videos of him "masturbating" to various videogame characters and videogame paraphernalia is truly a witty and interesting man who isn't afraid to speak his mind. Oh wait, he's just an obnoxious prick who thinks he's funny because he likes to go against popular opinion for pageviews.

LimpingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LimpingFish

People tend to abuse the term "trolling", using it as a means to invalidate a differing opinion...similar to how they abuse the term "bias".

I tend to agree with a lot of what he says about the industry. I take his reviews for what they are...opinions.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Moreau_MD

@oblique_ said:

All I have to say about Jim Sterling is that after seeing a headline written by him that said "InsertGameNameHere makes me spurt jism out of my peepee" or something almost exactly like that I deleted my Destructoid bookmark.

My point exactly. The guy is either incredibly immature or has some weird sexual issues going on. Despite the fact that he can provide a good laugh on occasion, I really wish Destructoid would either just get rid of him or else severely limit the number of posts he can make. Most of his articles don't have any discernible meaning to them other than to show of his 'wit' and ms paint 'skills'- somebody needs to tell him that rehashing jokes and memes that were on 4chan months ago doesn't quite qualify as doing your job; he's practically spamming the website he himself works for. The blatant unwarranted self importance has gotten really tiring too.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Doctorchimp

I like Jim, if he hates a game he'll tell you.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By hinderk

He is neither.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sanious

I didn't have a problem with him all that much before, sometimes it seems like his reviews didn't reflect his scores and that was about it. But recently, I've grown to not even bother looking at his posts.

The biggest problem I have with his 'articles' is that when he is posting news and things going on in the industry, reading his post about a specific issue and then reading the source are 2 completely different things. Things are conveniently left out in his posts just so he can start a hate parade in the comments. Because for some reason most people don't actually read the sourced article to see what is actually going on. So in that respect, he is totally unprofessional and I just wont read his articles anymore.

I like Destructoid, but it's hard to read sometimes because of this issue I have with him.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

He is a Professional troll

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

I've no idea, since I haven't seen enough of his work to weigh in on the matter. That quote, however, is just confusing. When was Final Fantasy pissing itself? What does that even mean?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

From what I've seen of him, (not much) the dude was just expressing his opinions, and sure, maybe some of those opinions are there to increase viewers. But hey, if you're gonna get pissed cause of what some guy you'll never meet says about video games, don't.

Damotello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Damotello

@Evil_Alaska said:

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By kingzetta

Well he is a Professional either way

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of dislike the guy but its interesting to see how the internet reacts to some of the things he says

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sanious

@Damotello said:

@Evil_Alaska said:

Kind of a silly thing to say when it's a part of his job.

ikaruga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ikaruga

He is just your typical internet asshole. I stop reading destructoid because of him, there are much better place to find games editorial on the internet.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Contro

Prick, just about sums him up.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cubical

Jim sterling is a nazi terminator robot Console Noob built to assist hitler in a war against PC games since He is too dumb to understand PC's and has never been with in 500 feet of a real PC in his entire life or anything else for that matter since He had a pathetic amount of console noob video games growing up too and never even played most things he talks about he just act like he knows like when ever he talks about the sega CD then he will go on to say he never touched one after he gives his Verdict.

this is also the case with Crysis 2 xbox where he said it was good and crap like that going on about the graphics having never been with in 9000 feet of a PC that could run Crysis or Crysis 2 on max settings and thus would have No fucking clue what he is talking about is his fucking lame attempt to compare it to Crysis on the PC this making anything he says about it or any other Console noob first person shooter or PC port fucking hilarious.

You can see him in this rare world war 2 photo from the 1940's during the conquest of some small country nobody cares about, he killed over 9000 scientist that was developing the first PC components setting the rise of the pc back over 30 years. Later after he failed his mission he was shocked and horrified they was using them as nazi killing simulators in wolfenstein 3d years later and he vows revenge on all PCs and PC games.

Destructoid Jim Sterling in 1941
Destructoid Jim Sterling in 1941

His mistake is when he failed to kill the people at companys like IBM fairchild and intel in the USA years later and thus let things like the ramac slip through his evil grasp he was also to fucking lazy to lift the first harddrive this is why we have them today.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2498/4247371635_9598cc6fa4_o.jpg

No Caption Provided
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Branthog

Never heard of Jim Sterling or a Yo Gabba Gabba.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By asurastrike

If he were funny, even some of the time, I might find him almost tolerable.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#46  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Professional troll seems to suit him well. He basically gets paid to write articles that have no other purpose than to get a rise out of the internet.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Masha2932

Listening to him on the DTOID podcast and the Jimquisition on the escapist, I know he's an intelligent guy, maybe it's fans who get angry for no reason. It's OPINION people, the only time to get angry is when writers make factually incorrect statements.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By coakroach

His review for Deadly Premonition was awesome, but I dont find him to be very insightful and he is painfully unfunny.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Milkman

Some sort of weird unholy mutation of both.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

yo somebody on the internet said something and you don't like it. tough shit. thats life. people say things that others don't like. ignore and it move on.