Josef Fares made a complete fool of himself at The Game Awards and people are praising him for it?

• 139 results
FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FrostyRyan

I can't wrap my head around this. For those of you who don't know, the man behind the upcoming game "A Way Out" was supposed to present the trailer for the game at The Game Awards. Geoff had him come on camera and attempted to have a nice chat with him about the game, which looks incredible from what we've seen. Instead, what we got was a clearly drunk/high/coked out manic "rant" on microtransactions and...another awards show. He cusses a million times on camera, gives the middle finger right to the camera, screams FUCK THE OSCARS and nearly talks shit about his own publisher, EA during his rant about microtransactions. He stumbles over his words, doesn't give a crap how long his "rant" is or how clearly uncomfortable he's making Geoff. It was embarrassing, insufferable, disrespectful, and incredibly unprofessional of him to do that. So WHY are so many people on twitter, comments, etc. calling him a "legend" and a "hero?" For what? Saying another award show is shit? You're on a damn award show. Is he a legend because he thinks loot boxes are bad? How bold. Saying loot boxes suck on camera makes you a legend now. How unique and daring of an opinion to have. No? Maybe it was the constant cussing and intoxication during this rant that made him a legend I guess. Ya know, the naysayers of The Game Awards have always said it's hard to take it seriously...so this was the "best moment of the night?" A moment where he couldn't even be bothered to be SOBER enough to take it seriously? good lord.

I don't get it. This is stupid. It was an embarrassing moment for everyone involved. I couldn't even enjoy the trailer afterward because of it. A Way Out is one of my most anticipated games for next year and still is but this was just ridiculous of him to do.

Tzarscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If he derailed and fucked up the turbo cringe show that is the VGA's then well done to him.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Man, god bless Geoff for keeping it together. That was embarrassing. He almost looked like he was gonna break when he stopped them from showing the trailer but made it through.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

People are praising him? Huh, that whole rant was incredibly cringe-worthy.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FrostyRyan

@penkaizen: They're not even called the VGA's anymore. If you still think it's "turbo cringe,"It doesn't seem like you've watched it recently. Its different now. Not with Spike. Geoff is making it out of his own wallet and taking it seriously. It's not perfect but it's something pretty sincere now.

The only cringeworthy thing here was his childish coked out "rant" that doesn't even qualify as a rant.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WheresDerrick

It's because he spoke like an actual human being, inebriated or not, and not another shill in a suit giving a copy and paste speech to lead into his game. He also touched on loot crates and EA which are a pretty big topic right now but still defended EA at the same time.

He's also being praised and talked about, like you said, so is putting even more exposure on him and his game. There's no bad publicity.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Onemanarmyy

From Geoff's perspective, it's Joel Mchale-ish trolling once again and very annoying.

From my perspective, it was a moment where i stopped clicking random tabs and was fully fixated on the stream.

Not fun to deal with on the spot, but people are still talking about the game awards so i guess that Geoff eventually will be glad that this guy was there. Sure, it lead to the show being 2 to 4 minutes delayed , but when you're hosting a 3 hour show, it's not too bad.

Some people talk very matter of fact about their upcoming game, some people are super nervous and go for a unraveled-style, and some people make a huge performance out of it. The Tekken guy has done this with his outfits, Kojima does it by showing up with a weird backlight, and this guy made a performance out of his trailer announcement to captivate the audience. Mission complete. Also smart to emphasize that this is an independant game and let everyone know who the creator is. You don't want your 2nd game to be derailed by the upset Battlefront crowd, just because EA is your publisher. He was similar at E3 so Geoff knew what he was in for when he invited him to present his game.

I don't think it's cool that people just throw out drug-accusations though. Clearly the guy thrives on attention, and the whole crowd was cheering him on. That only strengthens him to go further. That has nothing to do with drugs. Check out some of the Johnny V , Lang & Boyes couches at e3 and you will see similar behavior.

The other highlights for me were Carol, the performance award , Death Stranding and the Mario song.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FrostyRyan

It's because he spoke like an actual human being

He spoke like a human being who was on coke.

The nominees who accepted their awards spoke like human beings. Many of the guests spoke like human beings without throwing coked out temper tantrums. What kind of human beings do you talk to?

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick said:

The nominees who accepted their awards spoke like human beings. Many of the guests spoke like human beings without throwing coked out temper tantrums. What kind of human beings do you talk to?

Yes, a very excited human being. He was very similar back at the E3 reveal. Like I said, he didn't sound like yet another company shill and spoke his mind, whether it was sober/smart or not, and it paid off.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Yeah, it was pretty rough. Reminded me of one of my better friends in high school's older brother, who was eight years older than us (so about 26) and drove a BMW but still lived in his parents' basement because they allowed him to and he would constantly talk over you about how fucking awesome the club was last night and how many numbers he had and how we couldn't hang out at the house to play NBA 2K because two of the girls were coming over later. Right down to the haircut and the accent, though this family was Bosnian so it had a little more aggression to it.

I can see why people are drawn to his performance but it reminds me of what draws certain people to a certain other person's performance, so I can't really support the support. He was obviously coming from a sincere place and not trying to be an asshole, but he was very much being an asshole. You can't just tell the person who's the whole reason for you being there, who invited you onto his show and onto his stage, to stop talking and let you continue speaking. That's not how that works. If he'd been more coherent and said anything we hadn't heard before from other, more reasoned and thoughtful voices it'd be one thing, but he was just incoherently ranting in a second language.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's also being praised and talked about, like you said, so is putting even more exposure on him and his game. There's no bad publicity.

I don't know, I'm a lot less interested in the game now. I'm all for passionate creators, but his failure to recognize his position as guest and not host just made him look like an asshole. It was a very Kanye West "I'mma let you finish" moment.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

Holy shit, that's fucking amazing. Not in a "this guy is my new role model" kind of way, but more a "oh my god this is awful and it gives me LIFEEEEEE."

Some folks can't get down with that sort of stuff, but hell, I fuckin love it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The internet is comprised of a lot of young people to whom this sorta thing speaks to but to others it’s just drunken babbling. Yah is embarrassing and thank goodness that Geoff is profsssional enough to hold it together. The saddest part is that this guy is being talked up like some internet hero while Geoff still labors that Doritos meme to this day cause people can’t seem to grow up.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That is just how he is from what I have seen of him. He did an interview with game informer alongside Tim Schafer and he cursed a lot in that too.

I can understand why people think he went too far and was being disrespectful, but I think he is just a very passionate molyneux-esque figure who has a hard time controlling himself.

Honestly I like having people like that around, and I'm sad that these types of controversies may put a stop to that.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick said:

Hey now, he's just a passionate guy who's a little jet-lagged.

Geoff's a god damn pro for giving him the platform while also trying to wrap it back around to the game/trailer several times.

From Geoff's perspective, it's Joel Mchale-ish trolling once again and very annoying.

I'll take this any day of the week over Joel McHale. My memory's a bit fuzzy but iirc he was kind of a dick.

cliffordbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Reminds me of Kanye. People going off script is part of why live events are more fun and exciting. They had eBay and McDonald's commercials. I don't think this dude really changed the tone of the show. I think his 'bit' tied in pretty well with the robbery scene in the trailer where one of the characters makes a choice and 'goes loud'.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shiftygism

I don't care about the VGA's...like at all...and probably never will, don't consider this guy some newly appointed role model or hero of mine, but found the clip as entertaining as some of those unfiltered moments that occasionally or in some cases always happen during Giant Biomb's E3 aftershow....and while it was indeed a little cringey, the Oscars definitely need to get fucked. I doubt I have the same reasoning behind that statement though.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RonGalaxy

He didn't say anything super terrible (from what I remember). Sure he was incoherent, but I would be too if I was talking to thousands of people. Besides the ridiculous ranting, he came off as genuinely passionate about what he's making. Better than the 2 narcissistic dudes working on that one dumbass vr game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#19 fisk0  Moderator

I couldn't help but think of his old co-worker Lukas Moodysson who in 1999 upon receiving an award for his teen drama Fucking Åmål (retitled "Show me love" in the US) went up on stage and told the people responsible for the Swedish Film Institute (hosting the awards) as well as the audience to go fuck themselves.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ultimategamer69
ultimategamer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: actually dude that entire segment fucking rules and Josef Fares owns

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Geoff is making it out of his own wallet

HA!

Anyway, who cares... It adds a bit of flavour to an event that usually has all humanity scripted out of it. If anyone else at the show had anything real to say he would indeed stand out as an idiot, right now it's more like a breath of fresh air.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

The saddest part is that this guy is being talked up like some internet hero while Geoff still labors that Doritos meme to this day cause people can’t seem to grow up.

Thank you. Geoff is a good guy and I hate how many people can't get over the dorito thing

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My concern is that this whole "I'm just a passionate crazy guy" is an act he is putting on and not very genuine. It just seems like he's really hamming it up now once he saw the positive reaction he got from his E3 presentation. I don't really mind that he disrupted the show, swore or went off script. I want more of that, but I also don't want it to be some lame shtick.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most entertaining footage from these sort of awards shows I've seen. Usually very dull and predictable, riddled with fluff pieces and sycophancy, at least this was different. I'll take a coked up loudmouth over yet another corporate shill, even if he is a prick, just for variety.

dartell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Jet-Lagged"

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because someone going "Microtransactions are bad" and saying "Fuck" are all it takes for many people on the internet to be like "HE GETS IT, HE'S LIKE US, WHAT A LEGEND HAHA FUCKING EA RIGHT?"

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suntoria said:

I hear you. Back at E3 I really liked the guy. He was clearly very excited and proud of his game and it showed! Now he was just obnoxious...

I know!! I wanna make it clear I'm not saying I dislike him as a person, especially since I loved Brothers and this new game looks amazing. I also loved him at E3.

I'm specifically targeting his ludicrous display at the game awards. I guess one of the reasons I'm so annoyed is because I have respect for him. To see him coked out being a baffoon was disappointing.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

The main thing I think is his motivation (as in, "Man, this guy is really motivated and passionate about his game"). I think "Fuck the Oscars" is probably the most quotable line from the entire thing, so the thing that gets circulated is "Fuck the Oscars". There's also something kind of honest about how little shits he gives.

I'm not going to say this speech will stand the test of time, or all speeches should be like this, or this is a great moment in videogame-internet-livestream history, but it was entertaining, even if it could have been a trainwreck if it was delivered more poorly or with less enthusiasm.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was rude and obnoxious. Some people like that, I don't. It was amusing to laugh at the drunk guy making an ass of himself for a bit but I was ready for him to go long before he was done.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

The saddest part is that this guy is being talked up like some internet hero while Geoff still labors that Doritos meme to this day cause people can’t seem to grow up.

Thank you. Geoff is a good guy and I hate how many people can't get over the dorito thing

It's so fucking stupid. I've had a considerable amount of respect for Geoff ever since watching the video where he defended the "graphic sexual content" of Mass Effect 1.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

I can't say I've seen anyone earnestly praising Fares for saying "Fuck the Oscars", but for a lot of people, myself included, the only draw of The Game Awards is that it's a trash fire and Fares was fuel on that trash fire. That's what was amazing about his appearance. Also, you're not seeing many industry figures vocally standing up against loot boxes, especially not from under EA themselves. I genuine think that was a productive public stand to make. He was disrespecting this award show, but it's not really an award show that deserves a lot of respect. It certainly doesn't feel like it has all that much respect for the games it's supposed to be celebrating. But there might be valid criticisms to be made of this. I can see the point that this was rude to Keighley and maybe it's not great that someone visibly representing the games industry is just out there saying "Fuck the Oscars" and declaring that video games are good because "interactivity".

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i'm with you he seemed like a shithead, whether he was drunk on coke or "jet-lagged" it was on him to get his shit together for a couple of minutes and he failed. I didnt find his rant entertaining or insightful, if he was funny and making an ass out of himself then fine but he wasnt.

If the chat during the live stream is any indication people just seem to want this show to fail which is kind of sad. Personally I like seeing developers get some recognition for doing things right instead of the bandwagon of hate that seems to surround the gaming industry.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I don't think I've seen anyone actually praising him, but I've certainly seen many people mention it. In an otherwise pretty subdued show, this moment stuck out like a sore thumb, so it only makes sense that this would end up getting a significant amount of attention.

LP_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He kind of reminds me of Tommy Wiseau in the way he acts there.

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ketta

I was enjoying the moment up until they played the footage of that very bad looking game. "Passion" only gets you so far.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lp_green said:

He kind of reminds me of Tommy Wiseau in the way he acts there.

You aren't the only one apparently.

Loading Video...

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say I've seen anyone earnestly praising Fares for saying "Fuck the Oscars", but for a lot of people, myself included, the only draw of The Game Awards is that it's a trash fire and Fares was fuel on that trash fire.

The show wasn't a trash fire and it's actively improved considerably since its inception. Why people want something meant to celebrate games and the people that make them to fail is beyond me, but then gamers do come off as angry over nothing fairly often.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

KEEP GAMES PUNK

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised at all the people saying that his angry rant is just him being "passionate" about his game, as if passion is only evident when people loudly express themselves. Yarny guy was passionate about his game. Hideo Kojima is passionate about his games. This guy just came across as a drunk yelling across the bar.

It's odd but the venue makes a big difference. If he made that rant on Giant Bomb's couch or on his own time, I wouldn't think ill of him. But "fuck the oscars" when you're on an award show? It's clueless.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@burncoat: Didn't people give credit to the Yarny guy for being passionate? Are people doubting whether Kojima is passionate? I would say that passion is already recognized in those two cases. I certainly remember someone saying ' i will buy your game adorable nervous man!' during the Yarny reveal. So clearly his presentation showed that he was passionate to that person. It's certainly not the case that only loudmouths get that label.

And the angry rant seemed mostly meant as a compliment for the awards show he was on compared to the state of the Oscars. Was it over the top? A bit. Is that a bad thing? To me it wasn't. The guy was just very happy that there's a show like this in the gamingworld.

Yes, this was a more abrasive route and he clearly enjoyed taking his time while Geoff wanted to move on, but it's not like he did anything to warrant the cokehead comments. At the end of the day, people are talking about the game awards & his game. And the audience was very receptive of his segment. That only fuels an energetic person to continue.

If i had to present a game on such a big stage, i would probably be a very matter-of-fact kind of presenter and utterly forgettable. This guy made it very clear that this is his game and that he is very happy with the product. I can see why you want to emphesize that in a period where a lot of people are doing their 'EA boycotts'. Give the team a face.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He was 1997 Stone Cold in a world of Michael Cole's.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Goboard

Everyone loves a good train wreck is my best guess. It was hilarious in the moment, then again I was watching the Waypoint stream of it so also getting Austin, Danika and Natalie's reaction to it was part of the insanity of the moment. Jason Schreier wrote an article about leaked EA PR docs for several games including the one the Josef is working on that included a line to the effect that Josef is great as a personality, but watch out for potential controversy. EA might have failed to heed their own advice to avoid what happened. Sucks for Geoff, but that segment was off the rails 30 seconds in and then went on for a further 3 minutes before cutting to the trailer. This was hopefully an important educational moment for Geoff as far as how to handle a guest like that going forward.

As for the quality of The Game Awards, I don't think it's improved all that much with respect to other award events or even other events in the games industry. I mean the first Game Awards had the Schick Hydrobot for crying out loud. This is still an event where at least half of it's nearly 3 hour running time is devoted to ads and game announcements like this is an E3 press conference. Then you have several of the awards noted upon as an aside when one of the winners goes up on stage but not given the same appreciation or time for the winners of those specific awards. Compare this to other industry awards shows like the Game Developers Choice and IGF awards during GDC or the video game BAFTA's and there is a world of difference with regards to how it's run and what it's celebrating. For all intents and purposes, The Game Awards is a media event and not an awards show. The closest it comes to having an honest developer focused moment is the industry icon award and that is quickly subsumed and summarily lost in the torrent of ads and announcements.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It is always fun to watch people go off script and be super passionate about something during these kind of shows. Sure it wasn't tasteful, but I can't fault people for enjoying his segment or praising him

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By devise22

@topcat88 said:

He was 1997 Stone Cold in a world of Michael Cole's.

Hahaha this like literally the best analogy of all time. You win.

Also count me in the party that didn't really think what he did was that big of a deal. Was it a little "edgebro"? Sure. But I don't think it was meant to champion that behavior, more so as a joke, intentionally trying to be some awkward meme. The cokehead comments off the bat though, like wow. Judgmental much? That seems a little extreme to just jump to that conclusion. I'll grant you certainly not sober, I imagine on an awards show night like that the amount of booze around is probably high. But he knew what he was doing, it wasn't just some illogically lost ranting and raving. He wanted to have some fun and take a shot at a few things while he had the platform.

I totally get it if people want to get rid of things on awards shows like this that are absolutely offensive. But this isn't really that. It may offend you, but it's not a blanket offensive thing. It showcases an awkward side of the games industry and society, something awards shows "prop up" and try to hide from. The Game awards shouldn't be that. It should be equals part dumb as it is professional, why? Because that is games man. Don't kid yourself. It is. For all the art that gets made there is also a high amount of dumb shit. Need I remind you what site we are on? What the hell is so wrong with not so sober awkward game developer having a rant about the games and the concept of awards shows on a platform he was invited to and given a live microphone?

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how people always assume drugs are at play when someone who speaks English as a 2nd language gets a tad hyperactive.

Yes excitable and clearly craves attention but is it at all surprising when someone like that who doesn't speak English as a primary language getting caught up in the moment, as he always Does, to ramble on a bit and making an incoherent string of sentences? No it shouldn't and I'm kind of irked everyone assumes he was on drugs.

Honestly it's that kind of reaction that hammers home how sterile and boring the culture around video games can be

SkullCrusher98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally like what Josef Fares did. No one likes scripted announcements. He talked with passion and I respect him for that.

hrairoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Award shows are garbage and anyone who fucks them up is doing good work. Good on him for taking one for the team.

It's just a 3-hour ad, who gives a shit? Burn it all down.