July 2014 was the best month in the history of Giant Bomb

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Jackhole

I just wanted to point that out. The amount of really high quality content that we've gotten in the last month is insane. I'd like to take a moment to reflect.

We kicked off the month with the Pre-Eedom Stream and the Freedom Stream.

There were two new episodes of 1001 Spikes, 1001 Deaths, 1001 Patricks. Part 2 and Part 3.

We got to watch Vinny play Bot Colony and Velvet Sundown.

A fresh ass Jar Time.

Danny taught us how to play FIFA.

Brad had a Hat Bonanza.

Alex and Vinny celebrated ESPN NFL 2K5 turning 10 years old.

Two new mailbags! TI4 and Snacks.

Encyclopedia Bombasticas for Twisted Metal 2 and Mega Man 2.

There was a Mario Kart 8 Friday party in NY and 3 UnprofessionalFridays in SF.

Dan played World of Warcraft for the first time.

Dan tortured Jeff live on the internet.

And a time traveling 14 year old Scoops played some DDR for us.

Then on top of all that there were 8 editions of Unfinished (The Forest, Action Henk, Bot Colony, Cannon Brawl, Black the Fall, Destiny, The Crew, and Crypt of the Necrodancer) along with 32(!) Quick Looks (Sniper Elite III, Light, Contraption Maker, Long Night, One Piece: Unlimited World RED, Astebreed, Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake, Divinity Original Sin, MouseCraft, Xenonauts, Tour de France 2014, Shadowgate, The Fall, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Abyss Odyssey, Retrobooster, Arcade Archives for PS4, Super Comboman, The Nightmare Cooperative, Hidden in Plain Sight, Ghostship Aftermath, OlliOlli, Gods Will Be Watching, Pillars of Eternity, Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas, Oddworld New 'n' Tasty, Don Bradman Cricket 14, TMNT Training Lair, Blue Estate, Firefall, Velvet Sundown, The Last of Us Remastered, Halfway, and Pure Pool.)

That's not to mention the Bombcast, Alt-F1, the Powerbombcast, the Interview Dumptruck, and Bombin' the A.M. Worth Playingis awesomeas always, as isWorthReading. There was also some great written work by Patrick (here, here, here, here, here, and here) and Alex (here and here). As well as this incredibly written letter from Jeff.

That is just insane. I want to give a big thank you to Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Alex, Patrick, Matt, Drew, Jason, Dan, Danny, and all of the other special guests that made this remarkably high quality content happen. Kudos guys, keep it coming!

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

It's crazy how much quality content has been pumped out in such a short time-span. At least 2-3 contenders for Quick Look of the year in a single month!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Yup, I think if they kind of found a way to strike a better balance of premium vs. non-premium videos, and find somebody for Patrick to bounce off of, then I'd have zero complaints about the site right now. Last month's been awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only other specific month I think I remember being awesome was December 2012. Couple Random PC Games, Load Our Last Saves, the Chrono Trigger Endurance Run, the GOTY podcasts and a couple Jar Times.

I remember the Kinect and WiiU launch shows being great.

This month has been great. Dan really brings a video game enthusiasm I've been missing.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

Yeah, this month has definitely gone a long way towards making me interested in GB again. It got pretty rough for a while there, and I wasn't visiting almost at all. Now I can't wait to see what's coming up on the content ticker. I'm especially loving the Vinny/Alex duo, and have enjoyed almost everything Dan has been a part of.

It's especially impressive how many quick looks have gone up considering how few new releases we have gotten this summer. Keep up the great work guys!!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about in the history of Giant Bomb but it was fucking awesome. Things seem to be working out really well. Dan and Jason look like they were fantastic hires (Dan is super entertaining) and Vinny & Alex are killing it over on the east coast. I hadn't been very satisfied with my subscription or much of Giant Bomb's output this year (or for a bunch of last year), but this past month made me super glad to be a subscriber.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

The new blood as revitalized the website, no doubt about that.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

We also added three new awesome moderators in July!

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't possibly think of anyone they could bring in to fill Ryan's shoes, no one could, but Dan has certainly brought an energy that has revitalized everything from the Quick Looks to the Bombcast. I haven't been this excited to consume every new piece of content in quite some time and am so happy to see the guys firing on all cylinders again. Keep up the good work!

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I wouldn't go that far, but Giant Bomb has clearly got its groove back. It's exciting.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

There is TOO MUCH content now. I will be definitely unsubbing next month. This is not what I'm paying for.

I jest, I jest.

Existence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Existence

It has definitely been one hell of a month. With the new hires and GBeast, there's an energy to the site I haven't seen in a while.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bot Colony/Velvet Sundown content has been tremendous, and that isn't even my favorite video from this month (hint hint Don Bradman Cricket 14 QL).

AND...that's only a small amount of what they've put out. Don't know if this has been the best month ever, but it's definitely a contender for that title.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

July was the month of torture: Vinny in Bot Colony, Patrick on 1001 spikes, Jeff being scarred for life and Vinny and Alex in the tour the France. Apparently the GB community enjoys torture. #FACTS #SCIENCE

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

It's definitely been a hell of a fun month. Great to see them back in top form.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TMNT Training Lair is one of the best videos on the internet. All the Bot Colony and Velvet Sundown stuff has been highly entertaining as well.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't know best ever, but it's been great. GBEast is pumping stuff out and it's amazing how much more regular Home Base is churning out content now that they're back to having a staff.

My favourite thing so far? Seeing Drew play the experienced, jaded, Jeff-like figure to Dan's child-like positiveness on Ghostship Aftermath. New dynamics!

Here's to another fun month on GB reborn.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I concur, this month has done nothing but fill me with confidence about the future of Giant Bomb.

Keep up the great work, guys!

kidzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The expansion plans are working. Watch out, world!

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Part 1 of the Mario Party Saga was amazing.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its kind of crazy when you list them like that actually. 32 Quick Looks!? I've watched like 90% of them, that feels like a lot when I think about it...

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its kind of crazy when you list them like that actually. 32 Quick Looks!? I've watched like 90% of them, that feels like a lot when I think about it...

Yeah, I think I've watched around 90% of them too, and it didn't seem like a whole lot before I saw the list of Quick Looks, now it seems like a lot actually.

tanline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haven't been this excited for new gb content in a long long time.

patrick's been killing it too with the articles!

keep it up!

nicknin10do

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: I just realized how amazing yet confusing that image is out of context.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GaspoweR

@mb: 3 more?!? Ugh, now I have to add more people to my "People to send reports about spams" mailing list...because it's a tradition, dammit.

Fuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy fuck, July was awesome.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Word to this, July has been AmAzing back to front and right side up.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I wouldn't say best ever (P4ER alone makes its first or second month the best ever, c'mon), but it was a good month. Dan was my ideal hire as soon as his name came up in speculation, so I'm super glad everything's working out awesome.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

I think now that they have the 3 different studios putting out content, there will be a lot more great content. It truly has been a great month for GB. Keep up the great work guys!

Shinoadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely an awesome month, super glad I switched to premium :D

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a good month but nothing will beat the old Whiskey Media days.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By guanophobic

@th3irdeye said:

It was a good month but nothing will beat the old Whiskey Media days.

You're just getting old, man. Enjoy the show.

No Caption Provided

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea its been a pretty great month, I'm so happy that they were finally able to add people its already been paying off big time.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I feel like I resubbed at the best time.

Avatar image for thecatswhiskers
thecatswhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, it's been a amazing. In Jeff we trust.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep it's been great.

Long may it continue.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a great month, GB has certainly given me some crazy laughing fits.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's been a ton of content, and it's mostly been super good and varied.

It was a great month, but I'm already falling behind!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By nightriff

The only other specific month I think I remember being awesome was December 2012. Couple Random PC Games, Load Our Last Saves, the Chrono Trigger Endurance Run, the GOTY podcasts and a couple Jar Times.

I remember the Kinect and WiiU launch shows being great.

This month has been great. Dan really brings a video game enthusiasm I've been missing.

This is what I came to say (except you mean December 2011), July has been great but it didn't have FORTUNE STREET TNT and PHANTASMAGORIA ER/RPCG, 2 of the top 3 greatest videos they have ever done. Sorry but they can't top that.

darkest4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% agree. Was very worried and skeptical about Vinny leaving the office but the results have been nothing short of incredible. We actually see more Vinny content than ever, and it's pure Vinny ass Vinny content, watching that guy play dumb text to speech games has brought me endless smiles, I've also been pleasantly surprised that Alex is doing pretty well on camera with Vinny. And Dan has been absolutely killing it, best hire ever. His energy, enthusiasm and silliness were sorely needed in the office after Vinny moved. It feels like Jeff has really stepped up his game too since Dan joined, he seems to have more energy and is just non stop hilarious. The fact that we get to watch Jeff play Mario Party because of Dan is the icing on the cake.

There's been so many videos and quicklooks lately where I've said "one of the best videos on the site!" more than ever before and I can barely keep up with the content as there's so much of it. I didn't think the Gbeast would really be able to like double the amount of content we get, but those guys have been busting ass and amazingly it does feel like double the content as before. The overall quality has just jumped hugely with Dan in the mix and Vinny let loose to display his full power. So excited for the future of the site, things are looking amazing and it looks to me, just looking at comment numbers, like there's more subscribers coming in which I hope is actually true because it gives me great joy to see Giantbomb getting bigger, they deserve it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I'm so glad to see that they've finally settled into that new office!

...it's just too bad Brads gonna be moving back to North Carolina soon.

...arrow to the knee.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: More blood for GiantBEAST!

That Don Bradman quick look though... hahah

asqui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By asqui

After being a free lurker for about a month on Giantbomb that mario party video made me finally subscribe. I knew it was going to be epic, I was not disappointed.