Just inherited a PSP - Game Recommendations?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RazielCuts

Hey all, my friend just gave me a PSP for free as he didn't want it anymore. I've always thought about getting one and kept a semi lookout of what games were good on the platform but I'm wondering if you guys have anymore suggestions. Today I have been ebaying like crazy and have bought the following -

• Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Silent Hill: Origins
  • Sega Mega Drive Collection
  • Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday
  • Lumines
  • Little Big Planet
  • Beaterator
  • Valhalla Knights (not sure if this is any good but hey, an RPG)
  • Resistance: Retribution

Games I'm bidding/looking for at the moment are -

• Crush
  • Loco Roco 1 + 2
  • Patapon 1, 2 + 3
  • Metal Gear Acid 1 + 2
  • Metal Gear Peace Walker
  • Metal Gear: Portable Ops (not sure about the whole 'recruiting' thing but we'll see)
  • Puzzle Quest
  • Exit
  • Katamari
  • Pursuit Force
  • Tekken Ressurection/6
  • Soul Calibur
  • Tactics Ogre
  • God of War games
  • GTA possibly

I've seen/heard the PSP has a lot of great unknown RPG hits and I'm wondering if any of you guys can point me in their direction. Also any random unique PSP games I'm missing would be great.

grahf14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By grahf14

The Ys games are fun action RPGs that you may have overlooked. Legend of heroes is a really fun RPG with a good story. Patapon is a ton of fun, i liked them a lot so I think you'll be happy you bid on those.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman.

GTA: Chinatown Wars is definitely worth playing.

Half Minute Hero is...Well, I never played more than the demo, but I probably should have bought that game.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

The whole Persona series, 1 through 3, is really good on PSP. I'd also throw Zettai Hero Project, Phantasy Star Portable 2, and the remake of Final Fantasy Tactics on there as well.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RazielCuts

Speaking of, what was that random game Jeff made a quicklook off, badass something?

*Edit* Found it :D -

Snigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Snigs

Trails in the Sky!!!!

My favorite jRPG after Final Fantasy X

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

valkyria chronicles 2 and final fantasy collection

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

Daxter and... yep, that's pretty much the only thing that you don't have listed.

But, seriously. Daxter is a must-have for any PSP owner.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

Jeanne D'Arc if you like SRPGs.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

You mention the Mega Drive collection. Are you from Europe/Australia? If so are you okay with importing?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RazielCuts

@Driadon: Zettai looks exactly like the type of thing I'm up for, looks mad crazy. Was this played on that Vita day stream recently? Feel like I've seen it before. Also Work Time Fun, from Jeff's recommendation think I might have to get that for also pure crazy

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Canteu

Tales of Eternia. The only real reason to own a PSP.

Oh, and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a great version of a great game. Also a big memory card for ps1 classic games might be worth it if you like the selection available on psn.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazielCuts

@believer258: Is Daxter anything like the Ratchet and Clank series? I'm all for a good platformer but kind of got burnt out on those on PS2/PS3.

@Subject2Change: Yeah was looking at that, seemed to of got good reviews. Was also looking at Astonisha Story but seems to of got not as good reviews?

@LordAndrew: Yeah I'm from the UK, bought it as the Mega Drive Collection, but I've always thought the PSP was region free anyway right? (otherwise I might be screwed with what I've ebayed so far as my friend lived in Canada when he bought it originally..)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JJOR64
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

@RazielCuts said:

@believer258: Is Daxter anything like the Ratchet and Clank series? I'm all for a good platformer but kind of got burnt out on those on PS2/PS3.

@Subject2Change: Yeah was looking at that, seemed to of got good reviews. Was also looking at Astonisha Story but seems to of got not as good reviews?

@LordAndrew: Yeah I'm from the UK, bought it as the Mega Drive Collection, but I've always thought the PSP was region free anyway right? (otherwise I might be screwed with what I've ebayed so far as my friend lived in Canada when he bought it originally..)

Daxter is very much a linear platformer. OK, it has some open world elements because there's a hub world where you have to go from place to place, but it's a mostly linear platformer. There are parts where you have to collect a few whatevers, but with a few exceptions you should come across them as you go through the level.

Finally, it is only comparable to the first Ratchet and Clank and even then only when you're swinging your wrench in that game, since the combat in Daxter consists of swinging an electrified flyswatter. It's an offshoot of the Jak and Daxter franchise, the first three of which also come highly recommended from me.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stubbleman

criminal girls and akiba's trip. And don't forget that it plays ps1 games too.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RazielCuts

@thatpinguino: I've actually been sitting on a pile of PS1 and Mini's for a while now as I'm signed up to PS+ and been buying through sales. Seems though Sony effed up the copying over games with a firmware update so I'll have to redownload everything again on the PSP itself, luckily have ordered a 16gb card from amazon so should be all gravy on that front for a while.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By gla55jAw
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

Inherited? Like, did your friend get run over and become Keanu Reeves in heaven or something?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#21  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, it's region-free. Just checking if you personally would be open to importing if necessary. It could affect the suggestions.

TheRealJpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By TheRealJpoe

Persona 1, 2, & 3 are all great.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RazielCuts

@Video_Game_King: Actually this -

Perpetual motion machine, its how we make electricity now.

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By JJGIANT

The game of finding the nearest bin...

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

@RazielCuts: You can't just copy games over anymore? That sucks. I would hate to have to download a one or two gig game on a wifi connection. I thought the ps3-psp connectivity was part of the package.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RazielCuts

@LordAndrew: Ah okay, yeah I'm totally up for that. Possibly even some homebrew games? (don't hate me, making a PS Minis game myself at the mo) But anything and everything really. Just felt like the PSP got overlooked and the weirdness scale seems high.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Daroki

If you can find it on the cheap, try out Every Extend Extra. It's trippy fun. Avoid the SNK Arcade Classics collection, it's load times are atrocious and it'll load in between games. (How hard is it to do SNK games on a PSP?)

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RazielCuts

@HardcoreScene08: Other than the GiantBomb community fever over Persona games after the Endurance Run do the older ones still hold up? I know they were kind of remade but yeah.

@Daroki: Yeah I was thinking about that, the music genre scene that was Q Enteratinment seemed to hit big with that and Lumines. Speaking of collections, do you know if the taito collections are any good?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By egg

@RazielCuts said:

Hey all, my friend just gave me a PSP for free as he didn't want it anymore. I've always thought about getting one and kept a semi lookout of what games were good on the platform but I'm wondering if you guys have anymore suggestions. Today I have been ebaying like crazy and have bought the following -

• Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
  • Little Big Planet
  • Resistance: Retribution

Games I'm bidding/looking for at the moment are -

• Crush
  • Pursuit Force
  • GTA possibly

I've seen/heard the PSP has a lot of great unknown RPG hits and I'm wondering if any of you guys can point me in their direction. Also any random unique PSP games I'm missing would be great.

Little Big Planet, doesn't that use an online pass? You may not be able to go online with a used copy.

I recommend Pursuit Force, but only if you can handle an exceptionally difficult game. I recommend Pursuit Force Extrme Justice too, and maybe you should start with that one first. I have played both and I am under the strong impression that Extreme Justice is the easier of the two. (on top of that it has lower difficulty srttings you can choose... so yea)

other games I recommend are Mega Man Powered Up, Fat Princess, Ace Combat X, Resistance Retribution

Gran Turismo is good if you use the game's custom soundtrack option and fill your PSP up with mp3's. But keep in mind that the game does not let you use your sav file on other PSP, so don't play this game if you plan to upgrade/replace your system in the future.

a few other titles that are worth checking out: Sonic Rivals, Rengoku 2 Stairway to Heaven, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror. Also, I personally liked Test Drive Unlimited, Medal of Honor Heroes, and I *really* liked Juiced Eliminator.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By SlightConfuse

tactics ogre

tails in the sky

Jean d-arc

MGS Peace Walker

valkyra cronicles 2

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SuperWristBands

MGS: Portable Ops is pretty darn good. I would get the MGS HD Collection (if this is an option) if you want Peace Walker though.

DJ MAX Portable 3 is currently on sale of the PSN store I believe. It's a rhythm game with Asian music in it so if you don't hate those things it's pretty good.

AnxiousTube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AnxiousTube

@RazielCuts: When I read the title to your article I immediately thought South Park.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RazielCuts

@thatpinguino: Yeah I had to look it up because I thought I was doing something wrong. Apparently now when you download anything you get an extra install bubble and thats for the PSP version, so you can use install icons to 'copy' games to a PSP, seems kind of weird. Also found there's an 'expiry date' in the information of games, don't know what thats about, sounds dodgy tho.

@egg: Really, LBP uses an online pass? I thought online passes were only for console games..thats kinda shitty if true. Is Fat Princess online only? Have it on PS3 and there was no single player there, thinking about Mod Nation Racers as well.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RazielCuts

@SuperWristBands: I don't think DJ MAX is on sale on PSN over here (the UK, never actually heard of the series before) but I watched the trailer on GiantBomb and it seems right up my alley, crazy whatever wtf yes, only showed like a second of gameplay at the end tho, beatmania like?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By egg

@RazielCuts said:

@egg: Really, LBP uses an online pass? I thought online passes were only for console games..thats kinda shitty if true. Is Fat Princess online only? Have it on PS3 and there was no single player there, thinking about Mod Nation Racers as well.

Modnation PSP and Socom 3 are both PSP titles that use online pass. I can't quite remember if LBP used one too.

I don't really recommend Modnation on PSP, it's a very rough port although I have never played the PS3 version. However despite the low quality, I did enjoy making courses in it and racing against the AI in my own courses.

Fat Princess is not online only, I enjoyed it (and wholeheartedly recommend it) primarily as a single player title. The online is a good bonus, but suffers from balancing issues, lack of people playing (and probably even less now) and the fact that you are limited to only 4 human players and 12 AI players. (you can raise it to 8 human players by disabling AI altogether, but the game does not work well with such small teams, and having only 8 men per team is pushing it as it is)

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Daroki

@RazielCuts said:

@HardcoreScene08: Other than the GiantBomb community fever over Persona games after the Endurance Run do the older ones still hold up? I know they were kind of remade but yeah.

@Daroki: Yeah I was thinking about that, the music genre scene that was Q Enteratinment seemed to hit big with that and Lumines. Speaking of collections, do you know if the taito collections are any good?

I know the Taito collections are good for the PS2, but I haven't tried them out on the PSP. It's still shocking how much great arcade stuff they were pumping out in the 80s and 90s. I can confirm that the SNK one is terrible though.

As far as the Persona games other than P3P, they're kind of novelties (so says the one with a SMT logo as their avatar (grin). It's nice to see a good translation for SMT: Persona and SMT: Persona 2 IS was never released in the US until now so there's some nostalgic reasons for them, but if you don't have the nostalgia, they might not impress as they are kind of old games and SMT: Persona's a pretty straight dungeon crawl. P3P is fabulous though, and probably my favorite of the three P3 games.

Shoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shoog
Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game I've ever played on a PSP is Mega Man Powered Up. I liked it. I haven't played it on the PSP, but the PS3 version of Fat Princess was pretty dope.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By Yanngc33
Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Daroki
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By ch3burashka

I love that you say you 'inherited' it, as if you great grandfather passed away, and left to you his most prized possession, his PSP.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By CountRockula

I'd recommend skipping over the Metal Gear Solid games, but only because they're not very good.

Oh, also, if you're up for something small and dumb, I recommend Age of Zombies. It's a PSP mini, and it's my favorite version of that game.

TheRealJpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By TheRealJpoe

@RazielCuts: i still haven't had the chance to play 4 since i don't have a PS2 (waiting on the Vita remake), but i thought they held up pretty well. 3 is still my favorite game, although you lose all the cut scenes on PSP.