• 68 results
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fwylo

So everyone knows who Kevin Butler is.  IMO a great marketing ploy. 

But check this out. 

Basically what happened is the marketing team that is "Kevin Butler" received a mention of a series of numbers and letters and a challenge in the form of "Come at me".  He mistook them for a random bunch of numbers and letters and decided to retweet them with "Let me guess? You sunk my battleship." 

Turns out that the numbers and letters weren't random, but were actually the jailbreak code for PS3.  The tweet was quickly pulled down but still... hilarious.  I <3 the internet.

Good for you exiva, good for you.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

:D

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

That's crazy!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
@Venatio said:
" :D "
D:
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

Bahahahahaha

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai

looool  
Guess Sony needs to go sue him.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By recroulette

That's awesome.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@fwylo said:
" Good for you exiva, good for you. "
So you condone the horrible PS3 piracy plaguing the system?
trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By trace

That is utterly hilarious. Quite possibly the worst and most accurate possible response to that tweet, albeit unintentionally.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fwylo
@President_Barackbar said:
" @fwylo said:
So you condone the horrible PS3 piracy plaguing the system? "
I condone him trolling the fuck out of the PS3 marketing team.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By benjaebe
" @fwylo said:
It's really not about piracy. It's just a stupid code that no one knows what to do with anyway. Who really cares if Kevin Butler tweeted it? It's just ironic.
I also doubt the piracy on PS3 is "plaguing" the system. All the other consoles have had to deal with piracy just as long, and the average consumer is completely oblivious to the fact that you can even do that. I'd be more concerned with people writing applications that allow them to cheat.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeffsekai
" @fwylo said:
So you condone Sony wanting to sue every single person who posts it.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

Holy shit, this guy owned a Kin?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai
@benjaebe said:
" @President_Barackbar said:
" @fwylo said:
It's really not about piracy. It's just a stupid code that no one knows what to do with anyway. Who really cares if Kevin Butler tweeted it? It's just ironic. I also doubt the piracy on PS3 is "plaguing" the system. All the other consoles have had to deal with piracy just as long, and the average consumer is completely oblivious to the fact that you can even do that. I'd be more concerned with people writing applications that allow them to cheat. "
They know exactly what to do with it. You don't know what you are talking about.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By super_machine

Kevin Butler is a fictional person, its probably some Literature PHD working for sony PR because they couldn't find a real job.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By benjaebe
@Jeffsekai said:
" @benjaebe said:
" @fwylo said:
It's really not about piracy. It's just a stupid code that no one knows what to do with anyway. Who really cares if Kevin Butler tweeted it? It's just ironic. I also doubt the piracy on PS3 is "plaguing" the system. All the other consoles have had to deal with piracy just as long, and the average consumer is completely oblivious to the fact that you can even do that. I'd be more concerned with people writing applications that allow them to cheat. "
They know exactly what to do with it. You don't know what you are talking about. "
The average person isn't going to type the jailbreak code into their PS3 and magically be able to control the entire system. The root key only helps those who know how to program bootloaders and things of that nature for the PS3 - to the average user, or even people who just use the jailbreaking methods these people program, the code doesn't mean anything.

And anyone who knows how to do that probably already knows the key.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fwylo
@Jeffsekai said:
" @benjaebe said:
" @fwylo said:
They know exactly what to do with it. You don't know what you are talking about. "
I don't even know what to do with it.  But if I was interested I could figure it out.  You sir need to relax up in this bitch.
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Djeffers03

HAHA I absolutely love it!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

People are assholes.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By recroulette

It's not like it was hidden away and this was the ONLY place the code got out. 

If someone wanted to get a hold of it, they would get it, whether KB tweeted it or not.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeffsekai
@benjaebe said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @benjaebe said:
" @fwylo said:
The average person isn't going to type the jailbreak code into their PS3 and magically be able to control the entire system. The root key only helps those who know how to program bootloaders and things of that nature for the PS3 - to the average user, or even people who just use the jailbreaking methods these people program, the code doesn't mean anything.  And anyone who knows how to do that probably already knows the key. "
This isnt about the average person...jesus just stop talking.
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By p_p_o_d

dont see why this is a news story.   just someone at sony having some fun with the losers who have been spamming the playstation blog or sony people on twitter with these codes. 

the code KB tweeted is one of the USB key ones that sony blocked a few updates ago anyway so the story is even more pointless. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeffsekai

No Caption Provided
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jeffsekai
@p_p_o_d said:
" dont see why this is a news story.   just someone at sony having some fun with the losers who have been spamming the playstation blog or sony people on twitter with these codes.  the code KB tweeted is one of the USB key ones that sony blocked a few updates ago anyway so the story is even more pointless.    "
That explains why they removed it.
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Getz
@RecSpec said:
" It's not like it was hidden away and this was the ONLY place the code got out.  If someone wanted to get a hold of it, they would get it, whether KB tweeted it or not. "
True, but the irony of Sony's marketing perpetuating it is still there.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fwylo
@Jeffsekai said:
" @p_p_o_d said:
" dont see why this is a news story.   just someone at sony having some fun with the losers who have been spamming the playstation blog or sony people on twitter with these codes.  the code KB tweeted is one of the USB key ones that sony blocked a few updates ago anyway so the story is even more pointless.    "
That explains why they removed it. "
Why would they remove it if it's already blocked it doesn't explain anything.
Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Inf225

Somebody's getting fired.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Lava

This kind of made my day hahaha.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By recroulette
@Getz said:
" @RecSpec said:
" It's not like it was hidden away and this was the ONLY place the code got out.  If someone wanted to get a hold of it, they would get it, whether KB tweeted it or not. "
True, but the irony of Sony's marketing perpetuating it is still there. "
I'm not entirely sure that it was a slip-up. I mean, that twitter account has been pretty bold in the past. 
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fwylo
@RecSpec said:
" @Getz said:
" @RecSpec said:
I'm not entirely sure that it was a slip-up. I mean, that twitter account has been pretty bold in the past.  "
It doesn't make sense for them to put it up knowing that everyone who knows what it is would know that it is an already blocked code.  Only for them to remove it quickly later...  If it didn't matter they would have kept it up.
Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zajtalan

He didn't slip up.... I think they knew what they were doing. Sinking my battle ship relates to them fucking up the ps3. Get it?

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By recroulette
@fwylo said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @Getz said:
" @RecSpec said:
I'm not entirely sure that it was a slip-up. I mean, that twitter account has been pretty bold in the past.  "
It doesn't make sense for them to put it up knowing that everyone who knows what it is would know that it is an already blocked code.  Only for them to remove it quickly later...  If it didn't matter they would have kept it up. "
Think of it as a conflict between different divisions. Whoever runs the twitter thought "Hey, this is going to be funny."  While another division goes "What the fuck, you can't acknowledge stuff like that." 
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeffsekai
@fwylo said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @p_p_o_d said:
Why would they remove it if it's already blocked it doesn't explain anything. "
If you think this is all a marketing ploy then why did they remove the tweet.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fwylo
@Jeffsekai said:
If you think this is all a marketing ploy then why did they remove the tweet. "
What? 

I never said it was a marketing ploy... I said KB himself is a good marketing ploy.  I'm saying it was a slip-up as you can read in the damn title of the thread.  If they meant to do it they would have kept it up, which they didn't.  You said p_p_o_d explained it with the whole "they meant to do it because its an old code", but that doesn't make any sense at all. 

Unless  like @RecSpec said:
Think of it as a conflict between different divisions. Whoever runs the twitter thought "Hey, this is going to be funny."  While another division goes "What the fuck, you can't acknowledge stuff like that."  "
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jeffsekai
@Jeffsekai said:
" @fwylo said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @p_p_o_d said:
Why would they remove it if it's already blocked it doesn't explain anything. "

@fwylo said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
What? 

"
What the fuck are you on...
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iam3green

well thanks, i have more codes now. i have no idea what i am going to do with it. it really isn't piracy yet, it's just a security code. piracy comes in from a different program that people get. i would use the hacks just for homebrew stuff. i haven't looked into it yet. 

sony should sue him since he gave him his code. sony article said that sony would sue anyone who looked at the codes with google, youtube videos, and others.

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Palaeomerus
@super_machine said:
" Kevin Butler is a fictional person, its probably some Literature PHD working for sony PR because they couldn't find a real job. "
Well mainly it's a character portrayed by and actor named Jerry Lambert who did some Geico Holiday Inn commercials. I have no idea who does the tweets and blog stuff though.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fwylo
@Jeffsekai: Good question. We must be buying from the same dealer.
borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By borodin
@Jeffsekai: He didn't get that you were being sarcastic when you said "That explains why they removed it."
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By ajamafalous
@Palaeomerus said:
" @super_machine said:
" Kevin Butler is a fictional person, its probably some Literature PHD working for sony PR because they couldn't find a real job. "
Well mainly it's a character portrayed by and actor named Jerry Lambert who did some Geico Holiday Inn commercials. I have no idea who does the tweets and blog stuff though. "
I'm about 95% sure that the SCEA marketing team handles that twitter account, not him.
Shrevey3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shrevey3
@Jeffsekai said:
" @benjaebe said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @benjaebe said:
" @fwylo said:
The average person isn't going to type the jailbreak code into their PS3 and magically be able to control the entire system. The root key only helps those who know how to program bootloaders and things of that nature for the PS3 - to the average user, or even people who just use the jailbreaking methods these people program, the code doesn't mean anything.  And anyone who knows how to do that probably already knows the key. "
This isnt about the average person...jesus just stop talking. Im a douche bag and i have no idea what im talking about also i have a love for late eighties Billy Joel no big deal. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Enigma777

That's an epic win if I ever saw one.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#43  Edited By donutfever

Aww...

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ninjakiller
@Jeffsekai said:
" @benjaebe said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @benjaebe said:
" @fwylo said:
This isnt about the average person...jesus just stop talking. "
I love the GB community, willing to take bullets and defend a multi-national corporation who doesn't give a fuck about them other than getting their money.  Pathetic.    

No Caption Provided
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ch13696
@iam3green said:
" well thanks, i have more codes now. i have no idea what i am going to do with it. it really isn't piracy yet, it's just a security code. piracy comes in from a different program that people get. i would use the hacks just for homebrew stuff. i haven't looked into it yet.   sony should sue him since he gave him his code. sony article said that sony would sue anyone who looked at the codes with google, youtube videos, and others. "
Well, it looks like I'll be sued next. I follow KB on Twitter and saw that code awhile ago. Didn't think anything of it though.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#46  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Oh, that's brilliant.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By meteora

That is hilariousssss. <3

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ravensword

Umm, shouldnt you take that down? I mean, your giving it to people by posting it.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jeffsekai
@ninjakiller said:
I love the GB community, willing to take bullets and defend a multi-national corporation who doesn't give a fuck about them other than getting their money.  Pathetic.    

No Caption Provided
"
Are you talking about me?