Keyboard and mouse for a console?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Anyways, i know that you can use an Xbox 360 controller(or whatever they call them) with certain PC games and connect it to your computer, besides the fact that i have no idea why anyone would want to use one (except for maybe racing games)  i dont understand this.....

Why dont they make a keyboard and mouse that works with a console?
and
Do you think they'll be a day when a console comes standard with a mouse and keyboard?

Then people could stop complaining about how RTS' don't work so well on consoles and you would at least have a choice as to how you play the game. Maybe they don't want to because then people will start makeing PC/Xbox hybrids and some big corporation will lose money somewhere but still... it seems sorta stupid of them.

And i realize there is a similar topic but i figure i'd add my own spin to the question.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Kinarion

As to why, Microsoft said, "No".  They don't want people confusing their console with a computer, which, thanks in large part to microsoft, is not as desired a gaming platform.

I think the console-computer line will disappear before consoles have mice.  That said, I think the SNES got a mouse at some point.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

you know, if you look at how much stuff the 360 and PS3 can do, it makes one wonder, perhaps consoles are really just leading themselves back into PCs. 

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

Any usb keboard - mouse will work with the ps3 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive
OmegaPirate said:
"Any usb keboard - mouse will work with the ps3 "
true dat
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikemcn

iOmegaPirate said:

I didnt know that, thanks

But twoOnefive is right, the consoles can do so much but often they are getting held back by the controller and by now they are basically PCs for your TV
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kinarion
OmegaPirate said:
Are any games compatible with that set-up?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Diamond

Both 360 and PS3 support keyboards, which makes a lot of sense for text entry, and it's a big boon for MMOs.

I don't really want a future where there's common mouse+KB control for action games on consoles.  The problem is mouse IS more accurate for aiming, but I don't want to get stuck having to use a mouse for games.  I especially don't like being tied down to a flat surface.

I think MS is actually working hard on some kind of solution (might end up being something like a Wiimote) for their next console.  They're directly asking Blizzard for advice on the sort of control that'd make something like Starcraft work on a console.  I guess we'll see what they come up with, but I don't think mouse control is the solution for consoles.

EDIT - also to what you say, I think the future is definitely one of set top boxes that are not console or PC, and they'll completely replace both the existing PC and console.  That's the entire reason MS made the Xbox, because they didn't want Sony to rule the entire industry with a single set top box everyone used for everything.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmegaPirate
Kinarion said:
"OmegaPirate said:
Are any games compatible with that set-up?"
Alas it seems to be totally up to the dev to decide whether its worth (or even fair) to implement it

Unreal tournament 3 has Full mouse and keybord support on ps3 for example -- however it also has different servers for people playing with controller, and seperate ones for KB+ M (although the 2 can play together if they wish)

It seems that dev's dont want the 'can o worms' that opens when you start giving people extra buttons - another ogod example is Red alert 3 -the ultimate edition just came out for ps3, and im loving it, however it should be a prime candidate for the KB+M support right? RTS practically live on the input - however due to the fact that on a keyboard and mouse, you can have quicker inputs, macros, easier squad assignment etc. it has been dropped in favour of everyones good old favourite - Radial menus.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikemcn

the wii mote is a good compromise between the mouse and controller, it has good accuracy but you don't need a flat surface and has plenty of buttons, if only nintendo could make an RTS or actually good FPS that can use it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

No thank you. I wouldn't want go go back to kb/m for FPS. Honestly, X360 pad > kb/m for the shooter experience. : /

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By CoverlessTech
Mikemcn said:
"

the wii mote is a good compromise between the mouse and controller, it has good accuracy but you don't need a flat surface and has plenty of buttons, if only nintendo could make an RTS or actually good FPS that can use it.

"

Have you ever played an FPS with the wiimote? It's the worst controller I've ever used for FPS, there is a reason a ton of rail shooters are coming out and not FPS.

For 360 you can use something like the XFPS.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikemcn

i havent had problems with it but i can see why people do,

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64

I think it would be neat if they did some Key/Mouse support for games.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Karmum

I'm pretty sure the PS3 has a few specific games in which K+B is possible. One of them is UT3, I think.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60

Theres plenty of games on PC where the 360 or any controller is completely necessary for, for example....RE4 PC Version...that game has absolutely 0 mouse support.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Gmanall

Keyboards are bigger and more bulky then reg controler and for mainstream it won't work