Knowledge Bomb Critical Essays 9 July 2012

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Daneian

Welcome to Knowledge Bomb, where we highlight the articles that introduced us to new games we’d never found, allowed us to rediscover in new light ones we’d forgotten and inspired us to look differently at the medium, the industry and the world around us.

For those interested, the previous edition is still available. Check it out, they're all worth your time.

Bastion Review by Daneian

A child's perception is a powerful thing. It views the world with a different lens, one that not only skewed the memories we collected when we were young, but colors each one in adulthood. In this accurately-titled review, I analyze how Bastion's powerful storytelling reminds us of simpler times--both for ourselves and for videogames--even if we'll never again see them like a child.

Beauty is in the Mind of the Beholder: Perspective in Psychonauts by thatpinguino

We often talk about the unique ways which videogames can relay information, and while Psychonauts is mechanically an adventure platformer, it is also a satirical case study of people and the human condition. By giving us the the ability to dive into characters heads, we get not only a glimpse at the content of their mind, but see through their eyes. In thatpinguino's article, we find that, as we understand others, we can come closer to understanding ourselves.

What's wrong with classes? by ERoBB

Character classes have been a mechanical staple of games for as long as people have played them and can be found in everything from Diablo to Chess, from Team Fortress 2 to Sonic Adventure 2. In his post, ERoBB introduces us to what they are, reminds us why they are important and offers some examples of how to make them better.

This is a GiantBomb community initiative and is meant to drive discussion, so we want to hear from you. Feel free to comment below or on the appropriate article.

If you would like to contribute and help keep this feature going or have any suggestions on how to make it better, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. Those who wish to submit an article, even if it is an older post you think would fit in well, include a link in your message.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

We are always looking for new contributions to the knowledge bomb. So feel free to send me a pm if you want a contribution edited or looked over.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By RagingLion

Sounds like a good initiative - I'm up to my ears in game-related articles already so forgive me if I don't immediately dive into these articles but I'll certainly continue to check out these threads in case anything really captures my eye. I haven't blogged anything new for a while but since you say older posts are welcome, here are my older ones which might be of interest:

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By Little_Socrates

Great reads, all three of 'em!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@Little_Socrates: Thanks! Also this feature is currently going up once every three weeks and we don't plan on stopin any time soon.

mrburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mrburger

Hey this is awesome! Keep up the good work.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Daneian

Thanks for checking us out guys. We have been very fortunate for our submissions and the smart community that writes them.