La Noire is over-rated, boring and not fun. Shouldn't be on top10

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By bybeach

@StaticFalconar said:

@CL60 said:

Opinions... how do they work?

Not in a way some ppl. will ever comprehend. My opinion was LA Noire was a great game, still have to do the dlc though. Steam was tempting but at the end of the day..why? Maybe at 6.00 dollars for complete, finally did that with Borderlands GOTY after all. (ps-forget what I finally paid on steam sale..cheap)

But yeah, I wasn't bummed by LA Noire being top 10..I'm crying about Deus Ex, Human Rev though. That is, the lack O luv....

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Andorski

Apparently open world level structure is only useful if you can go on rampages.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Hot_Karl

bro is mad

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By kermoosh

yea its not as fun as something like uncharted but it brought something new to the table, i guess

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Enigma777

I could say the exact same thing about Skyrim. The combat is god-awful and the minute-to-minute action is super boring and tedious. Then again that's just an opinion. In short, QQ more.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By time allen

@Dany said:

I agree with you 100 % but whatever. It's their list, if they liked it then they liked it. Get over it.

are you actually suggesting that we be reasonable and accept that goty lists are subjective? because fuck you if you are i'm not doing shit.

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By Enns

Personally I found the game to be alright. I had a lot of believability issues that bothered me too much to enjoy the game. When a game is all about the narrative in a serious tone, stuff that make my eyes roll really brings down the experience for me. It wasn't the noire trappings it was stuff like falling wooden walkways, super athletic everyman, strange tonal disconnects during interrogations, killing half a dozen dudes in a side mission then reporting it in and leaving like it's no big deal. I guess I just wanted this game to be a little more real than gamey for it's narrative, after all it's strong point is the adventure game part not it's action. I wish a better case was made for this being in the top ten, but I'm not against it being there.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By toowalrus

...I disagree? Also, you're dumb.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Grimluck343

@S1RE said:

Exciting gameplay doesnt constitute walking around environments hitting the examine button when u hear a musical cue, where is the thought in that? And why include a huge game world when u cant do anything in it? Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. The facial animation was so vague and choosing doubt resulted in the right answer anyways so wat was the point in giving u an option for truth or lie when every time you think they are lying you should have picked doubt wtf! The story sucked, the main character was a hippocrate who cheats on his wife for no reason at all the story gives no reason or resolution to it. Boring game and overrated. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon for another rockstar game. Grow some balls and tell the truth... did you REALLY have FUN playing this game? FUN! You call walking around enviroments picking up clues to musical cues and watching hours of choose ur own adventure cutscenes FUN ? You cant even pull ur gun in public in a huge open world game (wasted opportunity) , you dont even have an inventory u can access - stupid game design all around.

...Patrick? Is that you?

NickFerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By NickFerg

Hey, have you guys tried Saints row the Third? I hear that game has sweet explosions and shit. Also, Power and Dubstep. That is all. Thread closed.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#61  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Listen, just because I think L.A. Noire is a game that coasts by entirely on its (admittedly strong) aesthetic and crazy facial technology doesn't mean I find your post idiotic and generally insulting to my intelligence.

RickJames123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RickJames123

I thought it was terrible the first playthrough, given I was expecting something more. But my second playthrough I loved it.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By swoxx

@CL60 said:

@S1RE said:

My points in my first post are all the more relavent now that La Noire got on the top 10 list. Opinions are like assholes everyone has one. And if you wanna have a valid opinion worth listening to come up with some reasons instead of accusing me of qq - some reasons that can prove LaNoire was fun.

OPINIONS - HOW THE FUCK DO THEY WORK?

Did you just fucking disagree with me!?

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By Nentisys

I agree that LA Noire wasn't fun. That doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mandude

Playing LA Noire was probably the most fun I've had with a game this year. There were some things I thought they could have done better with it, but I've really never seen a detective game done so well before.

EDIT: Your thread is stupid.

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#66  Edited By TrashMustache

It's on my personal top 10 list at the bottom as an "A for effort" type thing, It's a deeply flawed game but i was completely into it for the first 10 hours, and then of course it became apparent that the story was already set and that I didn't have any impact on the story at all, it was very frustrating yes. However I don't think that having no effect on the story is the problem, the problem is that they didn't communicate this in the marketing or before you start playing, i'm sure that if you'd knew in advance it would make the experience better.

What the game nails down to perfection is its mood, overall there were enough exciting moments to me. It's on the top not because it's perfect but because it evokes a mood that no one has done before in a game. I think everyone that played LA NOIRE knows this, it's not like you're telling us something we don't know. If there's a sequel to this game and it has the same issues it won't be on giantbomb's top 10, guaranteed.

also , here's a guide to LA NOIRE's interviewing mechanics: select LIE (when you have evidence that subject is lying) DOUBT (when you know subject is lying but don't have evidence) and TRUTH (when he's not lying) lol.

Also: you don't need to balls to post on a forum, you need fingers.

ALSO: do you listen to the bombcast? the GOTY ones? they are random as hell, it's not accurate, it's just fun. for example, ryan absolutely wanted mortal kombat on the list while he admitted that it wasn't on his own personal list. Vinny was the only one who played the witcher 2, Ryan just saw it running on a great gaming pc and said that game looked hella good, tada! it's in the top 10. don't take it too seriously dude.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

wut.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
@Stonyman65 said:

@S1RE said:

Exciting gameplay doesnt constitute walking around environments hitting the examine button when u hear a musical cue, where is the thought in that? And why include a huge game world when u cant do anything in it? Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. The facial animation was so vague and choosing doubt resulted in the right answer anyways so wat was the point in giving u an option for truth or lie when every time you think they are lying you should have picked doubt wtf! The story sucked, the main character was a hippocrate who cheats on his wife for no reason at all the story gives no reason or resolution to it. Boring game and overrated. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon for another rockstar game. Grow some balls and tell the truth... did you REALLY have FUN playing this game? FUN! You call walking around enviroments picking up clues to musical cues and watching hours of choose ur own adventure cutscenes FUN ? You cant even pull ur gun in public in a huge open world game (wasted opportunity) , you dont even have an inventory u can access - stupid game design all around.

You're missing the point dude. It IS an adventure game. It's not GTA 1947 or some GTA style clone. It is a close-ended find-the-object adventure game. Just because YOU thought it was going to be GTA and YOU probably wasted YOUR money on a game that YOU didn't like doesn't mean that it is a bad game and doesn't deserve to be on the Top 10.

Like others said, it was an interesting experiment. It's not for everyone, but lots of people do enjoy playing it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind another game of that style.

This guy's got it right.
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By coakroach

@S1RE said:

walking around environments hitting the examine button when u hear a musical cue,

@S1RE said:

The story sucked, the main character was a hippocrate who cheats on his wife for no reason at all the story gives no reason or resolution to it.

Hey man, its called LA Noire for a reason.

In film noire theres a lot more talking and looking around than shooting, in film noire almost every character is revealed to be seriously flawed.

The game lives up to its title in most respects, its far from perfect but its still unique and enjoyable for fans of the genre.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

You also forgot that the game was released for the consoles, and PC users had to wait for like a year to get a port (is the pc version even out yet?). Not trying to be an elitist PC douche, but come on. LA Noire was the only game that made me think about getting an Xbox, then i slapped myself and continued downloading mods. Ok, that did sound like a statement made by an elitist PC fanboy douche, but it's the nostalgia really.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Ramone

It's boring AND not fun? Jeez.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#72  Edited By monkeyking1969

Last time I looked it was a list...just a list. My guess is within a year SOMEONE will make another list. ;-)

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73  Edited By MysteriousBob

Sorry but its a rule of mine to ignore anyone who spells 'your' or 'you're' as 'ur'.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74  Edited By Bwast

You're not old enough to buy L.A. Noire. I have informed the police and they're on their way.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not wrong, though the thread title is.. provocative.

LA Noire is a game custom-built for game reviewers. It dazzles reviewers with it's tech and is not demanding in the slightest. It doesn't surprise me that it got a ton of praise and ended up on the ass-end of the Top 10 list. Jeff didn't play it much and clearly didn't have a well developed opinion on the game, but he was definitely right that the game is practically a tech-demo wrapped in a mediocre "adventure" game with a story that completely unraveled toward the end and made no sense after the Homicide desk. (Let alone what happens after Vice.)

@coakroach said:

In film noire theres a lot more talking and looking around than shooting, in film noire almost every character is revealed to be seriously flawed.

Then in quoting the great Vincent Caravella: "It's Film Dumb." Whether or not it's appropriate for the genre doesn't really stop it from being unnecessarily "dark and compromised" with characters that take actions that either make no sense or seem entirely unmotivated. The sudden shift in perspective near the end of the game was totally unnecessarily and unearned.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jimbo

Fucking thing SUCKS. It sucks at what people thought it was going to be and it sucks at what it actually tries to be. I agreed with DA2 as most disappointing game but only because I'd successfully blocked LA Noire from my mind. Thanks so much for reminding me.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By billyhoush

LA Noire was awesome because I knew it was going to be an old style adventure game. I have fun playing adventure games. Sucks to be you!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#78  Edited By StarvingGamer

@S1RE said:

You cant even pull ur gun in public in a huge open world game (wasted opportunity)

You clearly missed the point. Just because it's a Rockstar game does not mean it's a "Rockstar" game.

Also yes, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with LA Noire. I could have done without the shooting, but otherwise it was everything I hoped it would be.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FilipHolm

I had fun...

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By hwy_61

I loved LA Noire up until the end. Go fuck yourself if you can't stand people disagreeing with you.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

LA Noire was pretty incredible and should be on every top 10 list.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Dany

@Toms115 said:

@Dany said:

I agree with you 100 % but whatever. It's their list, if they liked it then they liked it. Get over it.

are you actually suggesting that we be reasonable and accept that goty lists are subjective? because fuck you if you are i'm not doing shit.

Crazy, I know!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By napalm
@S1RE said:

FUN FUN! FUN ? 

YES.
IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By IkariNoTekken

L.A Noire is one of two close runners up for my personal game of the year and my winner for original music.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I liked it.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By cstrang

Oh Reginald! .... I disagree!

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green username, low post-count, controversial topic.

Once again, the troll detector is proved correct.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#88  Edited By sammo21

meh, all I am hearing is that people want to play the exact same games over and over again. No thanks. I enjoyed LA Noire. My wife enjoyed LA Noire. I completed every case, including DLC, and I've almost hit platinum in the PS3 version. Hate the game, think its mediocre...I don't care. The game wasn't a sequel, the game was fun, and the game had a story that didn't involve space marines, modern combat, or cartoon bullshit.

I think Deus Ex Human Revolution is the most overrated game of 2011 and hearing people talk about it all I hear is them making excuses for a game that's basically the same thing as the original was but its not my fucking decision to say it shouldn't be someone else's game of the year. I also think that no matter what fucking contrivances Brad and Patrick argue, Skyrim really is the Oblivion game with prettier bells and whistles. The only defense Brad has is "no one else is making this kind of game" which really isn't a way to say your game should be GotY. You know what though? Who gives a shit.

I'm tired of hearing people say "this game shouldn't be x persons game of the year or in their top 10". I'm so happy for you that you feel the need to take the jam out of someone else's doughnut, constantly. Fun is subjective. You know what? I didn't find the first 6-7 hours of Skyward Sword fun. I didn't find most of Deus Ex fun. I didn't find any of Call of Duty MW3 fun. You seem to have something about shitting on Giant Bomb, at least recently, because I think I've also seen you jump on the "ZOMG WTF WITH GIANT BOMB AND BASTION?! THEY ARE BIASED, HERP DERP!"

I enjoyed 90% of the story, I enjoyed all the characters, I enjoyed the setting, I enjoyed the gameplay, I enjoyed the DLC, I enjoyed the graphics, and I enjoyed the atmosphere that NO other game has gotten right. Also, did I really hear you complain about their being no inventory? Do you think Detective Phelps just walks around with a shit ton of police evidence at all time? Seriously, if you are being serious and not just being an almost obvious troll, try and come up with better grievance than "There ain't no inventory? What's going on over here?!"

Run DealWithIt.exe

Grimmy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#89  Edited By Grimmy616

I really enjoyed LA Noire. Yeah the serial killer stuff could have been maybe a bit shorter. The open world function might have not been used to its fullest.

BUT THE ONE THING THAT RUINED THE GAME FOR ME WAS THE ENDING. Like holy crap not just from a story perspective where it was okay but from a game perspective. I won't spoil it... can i spoil? When you change characters in the third act of the game you just know YOU KNOW something is going to happen to Cole. And the ending felt rushed and unneeded

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By Nux

You can turn off the musical cues if you want.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By RobertOrri

Your opinion is boring me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By AlexW00d

However much I agree with you, it doesn't matter, it's not like Giant bomb are the be all and end all of games journalism.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By imsh_pl
No Caption Provided
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#94  Edited By zyn

For me, the first couple of cases were good, but then it got boring.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By imhungry

L.A Noire is not over-rated, exciting and fun. Should be on the top 10.

So what're you gonna do about that?

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@YI_Orange said:

Does this always happen or did people forget how opinions work?

My friend- this is the INTERNET.

Forgetting the definition of opinion is just part of the way of life up here.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Eaxis

That is your opinion and it's not factual to what is correct that is a fact. L.A Noire was an adventure game with action thrown in, its also about the atmosphere it managed to create. The character is a cop and it would not have any meaning to go around shooting people, thats what other games are for(Saints row, Just Cause, GTA).

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By amir90
No Caption Provided

I don't think even Skyrim should be on that list, but that is like their opinion man!

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99  Edited By Mr402

I rented it and ended up sending it back without finishing it. You could tell that Rockstar came in late and forced the devs to add the open world portions to the game. The two aspects just didn't fit very well together. Overrated sums it up well.

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Talis12

im sure its worth the 12 bucks i paid for it