• 140 results
FUMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By FUMN

@Hailinel: Who is he reaching out to? It should only be Aris or Capcom that he is attempting to contact. He's lumping us all together. You completely dismissed the SRK posts and all of the comments in reply. What else do we have to do?

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By dragonzord

@Hailinel said:

@FUMN said:

@Hailinel: Bull Fucking Shit. The reason they don't talk about it is because what the fuck is there to say? Everyone has apologized. People have admitted fault. The FGC has expressed a sentiment to get something done about it. Who the fuck is Patrick contacting anyways? How can anyone, except Aris, explain what Aris meant?

SRKs first article was more of a "c'mon guys" light touch approach at guiding the few misguided on the correct course. He was attempting to show what the FGC truly was about. And what the FGC does when people aren't focused on this one asshole. Just because my dad didn't hit me when I stole $20 DOES NOT mean that he wasnt disappointed in me. He took me close and explained that he loved me and that this couldn't happen again because that wasn't who I was. When Marn and a few others started making light of it, he put his foot down and made it no longer lovey dovey. He was taking it seriously from the start. Why else would he write an article if he wasn't serious about it?

If you actually followed the FGC closely. You would understand that Marn, Aris, JaHa are just assholes. You wouldn't be surprised.

"If" I followed the FGC closely. However, many people do not, and it is these people that are looking at the FGC from the outside and wondering what in the flying fuck allowed Aris to rise to such a visible position within it. Most of the conversation regarding the situation from members of the FGC is with other members of the FGC, not the people on the outside. Patrick asked a number of the community's figures for comment, and he's getting little feedback in response. Why are they not willing to talk about it? If they have something positive to say about the community or want to show that Aris is not representative of the community, then they should be lining up to talk to people like Patrick, not giving him the cold shoulder while choosing to instead address members within the community. It just makes them look like they're waiting for the whole thing to blow over.

Because most of the people are at Final Round? And why should they want to talk to him? this site does barely any coverage of the FGC in the past, but now that there's a scandal they want in? I wouldn't want to talk to someone who only seems interested now that there's a hot topic.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By CJduke

I think the fighting game community just needs better personalities to promote their sport. Guys like Aris just make the community look bad. Starcraft is seen in such a better light because you have awesome people like Artosis, Tasteless, and Day 9 representing it. I don't follow the fighting community as much as I follow Starcraft, but thats how it seems to me.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54  Edited By OneManX

@FUMN said:

@Hailinel: Who is he reaching out to? It should only be Aris or Capcom that he is attempting to contact. He's lumping us all together. You completely dismissed the SRK posts and all of the comments in reply. What else do we have to do?

To get the heavy hitters out there and say, this guy is an asshole and that is what the FGC is not about.

I just watched aballroom lose it's shti in a game of UMVC3 and have those guys hype that stuff up. Get Art out there, get Wong out there, get James Chen, get Yipes, get Skisonicm, hell get Sp00ky out there. A lot of people in the FGC had so much to say on Twitter, and are gonna make their comments on streams, but when it time to speak up, they get real quiet. It's time for the FGC to grow some balls and "level up" and own up. Being quiet and hoping this issue goes away is not the way to handle this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#55  Edited By Hailinel

@zoner said:

Because most of the people are at Final Round? And why should they want to talk to him? this site does barely any coverage of the FGC in the past, but now that there's a scandal they want in? I wouldn't want to talk to someone who only seems interested now that there's a hot topic.

While Giant Bomb is not a fighting game community-focused website, it is a site that is favorable to the genre; Jeff and Brad in particular are versed in the genre, though their tastes heavily favor Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat over other series. That being said, that the site does not regularly cover fighting game community news and events should not be perceived as a negative in this case; Giant Bomb is a general gaming news site. Their audience contains people that associate themselves with the FGC, but also a much wider swath of gaming tastes and interests. There are a lot of people here with only a casual interest in fighting games (if that), but this Cross Assault fiasco has spread like wildfire. I know people who do not frequent video game websites of any sort that know about this mess because they've been pointed toward the videos. It is what is called a huge perception problem, if nothing else. By and large, the community is being perceived in a negative light by those with no connection or affiliation to it. Despite the fact that Patrick was one of the first people to report on the Cross Assault mess (which he did because a video of Aris's antics was forwarded to him as a tip), he is not going into this with any sort of agenda. He is a news reporter. He is doing his job.

@FUMN said:

Why should it be only those two? To get the perspective of the community at large, one must ask for the takes of others in the community. Also, Patrick requested comment from Aris and did not receive a response. And Aris's eventual responses through Twitter have been less than helpful. When he says that his own words don't reflect himself, he is labeling himself as someone whose views on the matter cannot be trusted. And this isn't just about Aris anymore. This is about the perception of sexism throughout the community, from people at live events to commentators to people in stream chats. It has become clear that this is not something limited to Aris's antics or Cross Assault. It is a pattern of behavior that runs through certain members of the community, some of whom have been given the opportunity to express themselves in a public fashion. Banning a couple of personalities from serving as commentators at events is not the solution to the problem. It certainly helps, but it is not the solution, and it does not address the gap in relations between those on the inside of the community and those on the outside that are trying to make sense of it.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By nohthink

As a person who enjoys fighting games, there is something very moving about the EVO 2011 moments video.

I would be more than happy to be a part of that crowd. But it's people like Aris always makes me have the knee jerk reaction and back off a bit.

Sad, really

FUMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FUMN

@OneManX: Why them? They are not our spokesman. Why not read SRK and see their attitude. Read the comments and get the average joe perception. Its just as valuable as Mike Ross's opinion.

@Hailinel: 1st: It should only be those two because

A) The only one that explain what Aris meant is Aris

B) Capcom is responsible for the contents of their stream

C) The FGC is not Capcom nor Aris.

You have the FGC perspective on this situation as a whole! Look at SRK. Look at eventhubs. Watch Cross Counter and get Mike Ross', Gooteks, and ReNic's opinion! There it is. It doesnt come in the form of an interview that is only interested in this one event. You read the SRK post, which reflects the mentality of the community, but Instead of taking their message to heart, you dismissed it and asked for more! People are actively working on changing the attitude of a 20 year old genre/subculture, its not gonna happen in a week, and its not gonna happen with people relentlessly condemning them for not changing fast enough.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By NickL

@FUMN said:

https://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174629027770941440

https://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174937456473411585

https://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174944148414136320

https://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174626181528829952

https://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174588672539230208

https://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174589423328034816

https://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174592604409827328

https://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174605378712125441

And those are just the ones I quickly found in his twitter history. I'm sure there are more that he emailed and some that I missed.

I don't think he is trying to reach out about the Aris story at this point. It seems he just wants anyone to prove that the FGC isn't all like Aris and no one is stepping up to the plate.

As an avid SC2 fan, there are plenty of bad apples but for the most part they are overshadowed because the good community members speak out against them when it is necessary.

Maybe if the FGC did the same, they wouldn't be in this situation.

BTW, whether appointed or not, FGC does have members that are seen as the "PR" (as you put it) by outsiders of the community.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Hailinel

@FUMN said:

@OneManX: Why them? They are not our spokesman. Why not read SRK and see their attitude. Read the comments and get the average joe perception. Its just as valuable as Mike Ross's opinion.

You have the FGC perspective on this situation as a whole! Look at SRK. Look at eventhubs. Watch Cross Counter and get Mike Ross', Gooteks, and ReNic's opinion! There it is. It doesnt come in the form of an interview that is only interested in this one event. You read the SRK post, which reflects the mentality of the community, but Instead of taking their message to heart, you dismissed it and asked for more! People are actively working on changing the attitude of a 20 year old genre/subculture, its not gonna happen in a week, and its not gonna happen with people relentlessly condemning them for not changing fast enough.

SRK's message was ignorance toward the problem at first, and acceptance of the issue second, but only after further prodding from outside the community. I am not being dismissive of them; they were being dismissive until the reporting on that commentary video gave them a sharp slap to the face. Further, to get proper news and perspective, sometimes you have to step away from the hardcore sites like SRK and things like Cross Counter, where the only discussion being had is between community members. If Mike Ross or Justin Wong or anyone else of note in the community (and there are people of note in the community; let's not fool ourselves on this one, because there are those that are more prominent and well-known than others) were to make an effort to reach out to people outside the community through outlets like Giant Bomb, then they would be able to make a better connection to the people on the outside. The onus is not on the outsiders to hunt down this information; it should be members of the community stepping forth as representatives and ambassadors to speak about issues within the community to those on the outside.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By sirdesmond

Giant Bomb did not negatively portray anything, especially the FGC. It showed the facts of what one member of the FGC, someone held in a semi-respectable position seeing as he was selected as being the team captain, said and how it was received by others. If readers and commenters are too stupid to differentiate one person's comments and an entire community of people, that is not Patrick's problem, that's theirs.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By OneManX

@FUMN said:

Because they are the notable ones.

And as stated, no one outside of those communities will read a site like SRK. You have t get on the bigger stage and talk to the people outside of the community and be like, yo this shit aint right and we need to grow up. or say, 'this is one guy, we're aren't like that' just a little face time with a website will do way more than preaching to the choir on a SRK newsfeed. I know it seems like I am hammering the FGC, but I love games like SF:AE, KOF13, MK9, love watching UMVC3 streams and I'm planning to pick up SFxT when it drops, I am an avid stream monster, it just sucks as a fan to see people who are known names be quiet and just clam up.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By JJOR64
ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#63  Edited By ethan_raiden

I don't know when this term FCG thing came about and I don't like it either

Edit: I'd just like to say some stuff, I don't want any gaming press or whatever to ever cover this stuff, they are ill equip to do so. I will stick to shoryuken, event hubs and iplaywinner.

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Aviont

I will say this, all the people sticking up for FGC and the only real place this should be is on hardcore fighting game websites, all remind me of very avid Fox News fans

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#65  Edited By ethan_raiden
@Aviont: I'm not America, but I know that none of you regard Fox news very highly due to their general lack of knowledge in the subjects that they speak about and the crass things that they report on just to hit viewership targets...
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hailinel

@Ethan_Raiden said:

@Aviont: I'm not America, but I know that none of you regard Fox news very highly due to their general lack of knowledge in the subjects that they speak about and the crass things that they report on just to hit viewership targets...

But Fox News does thrive on conservatives that choose to make it their primary news source. It's a cable channel that caters to them and will often twist things out of proportion to make the conservative side of American politics look good regardless of the situation. In a sense, it really is no different than FGC websites like SRK, which thrive on catering to an insular community and habitually preach to the choir.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#67  Edited By sammo21

@FLStyle:

He asked the FGC for comments and they denied, so it sounds like they don't care to represent themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I just don't get it. This community feels like it's the victim of generalist gaming websites and being unfairly portrayed, and then when asked if they'd like a podium to defend themselves, they refuse. So the reaction is of course, that they either don't care or don't feel like it's worth defending. So the reputation outside gets worse and worse, and the community feels more and more victimized, and just grows more and more insular. Someone in this thread stated "hey man, Aris doesn't speak for all of us" but if no one else is speaking (or telling Aris to shut the fuck up), then yeah, he is speaking for all of you. The guys who've chosen to say nothing (or like Marn and ETR, to blame the victim for daring to be upset) end up, for all intents and purposes, to be accepting Aris' opinion.

The guys who have actually come out and tried to rub the abuse out of the community are doing the right things. Like I said earlier, that community is about the most skilled players, not about glorifying abusive behavior. Like Jared said "Can't we have competition without abuse?" Aris seems to believe that if you filter out the sexism and the crass behavior, it's no longer what it was. Then what was it to you? Was it about the fighting game competition, or was it about the who-can-be-the-biggest-fuckface competition?

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By Boiglenoight

I liked playing Street Fighter II in the arcade during the 90's, and for the most part my opponents were other nerdy kids who were either shy and quiet or friendly and carefree. Only occasionally would I face off against someone who seemed to take the game way too seriously. I determined this by their choice of Ken over Ryu, the speed of which they would repeatedly press the short kick button (whoa buddy slow down you're going to break it) and that they would insult me after a round, whether they won or lost. Being shy and introverted myself, I just ignored them and left after losing my credit. My impression of the fighting game community since then has only turned into a kind of prejudice that those who really play a lot are just versions of this punk, only more liberal with the vulgarity and poor sportsmanship. That I have to earn their respect through play just to be treated decently is absurd and juvenile, and I don't have time or patience to deal with anyone who plays a game this way.

In a way, I'm glad that the scene is getting its time in the spotlight, and smile at how the greater gaming community finds their behavior repulsive. Maybe it will have a positive effect on how players treat each other, and especially women, but based on the competitive scene's negative reaction to the mainstream coverage of their clique, I doubt it.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#70  Edited By FLStyle
Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By Commisar123

@FLStyle: So in that second video I noticed as many racial slurs and stereotypes as I did heartwarming comments

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FLStyle

@Commisar123: In the stream chat? Oh yeah, if a website did an article every time a stream viewer typed in a homophobic/racial/sexist slur in the chat it would be a never-ending torrent. They quickly changed their tune when Larry "Shin Blanka" told his story thankfully.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By mnzy
@Brodehouse said:

I just don't get it. This community feels like it's the victim of generalist gaming websites and being unfairly portrayed, and then when asked if they'd like a podium to defend themselves, they refuse. So the reaction is of course, that they either don't care or don't feel like it's worth defending. So the reputation outside gets worse and worse, and the community feels more and more victimized, and just grows more and more insular. Someone in this thread stated "hey man, Aris doesn't speak for all of us" but if no one else is speaking (or telling Aris to shut the fuck up), then yeah, he is speaking for all of you. The guys who've chosen to say nothing (or like Marn and ETR, to blame the victim for daring to be upset) end up, for all intents and purposes, to be accepting Aris' opinion.

Honestly, I get it. First of all, there are not that many people in a position to speak for the whole community. And of those few, most didn't have anything to do with the show. So why would they really go out their to a publication that apart from sensationalism doesn't care about them at all? 
I've heard many voices that never heard of Kotaku before this thing happened. The gaming press doesn't really matter as far as the FGC is concerned.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By mordukai

I love how a guy who claims to love the fighting game scene has just set it back 20 years. Now all the decent people in that group are trying to do damage control but it's really too late.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By sasnake

oh please, these people walk around thinking they are kings cause they are good at fighting games, I think ill pass.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By churrific

I wasn't really expecting any response from anyone until after this weekend's festivities are over anyway. Cross Assault, for one, just finished officially last night. And Final Round seems like the biggest event they have after Evo. I'd like to hear opinions spinning some positive feelings after the weekend is over though. It'd be a breath a fresh air honestly, not just for them, but for all video games, what with all the crap news we've had week after week.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Gaff

@FUMN said:

@Animasta: Thats why I called her a female in my original post......

@Hailinel: The whole idea of FGC is misleading. We are not a community, we are not organized and we are generally do not have a cohesive view. The FGC is unlike Starcraft and Halo. We are not used to being professionally sponsored or organized. Think of this.

@FUMN said:

@Hailinel said:

From the outside looking in, and for people who only had a vague understanding of the community in any sense prior to this past week's blow-up, Aris's actions have single-handedly painted a picture of a scene that is misogynistic, immature, and defensive.

Thats the problem. It's a view that is only founded by this one incident. If you are not part of this community then you have no emotional investment in it and do not understand the lengths in which people have attempted to distance themselves from this perception. There are very few people who support sexism within many of the FG communities i visit (Srk, Eventhubs, Iplaywinner, r/sf4). This was not an isolated incident, and in many communities there are a shit ton of sexists (Reddit anyone?). But if you keep lumping the entire FGC into this one sexist bunch, the only thing you are encouraging is that the FGC just locks down tighter then what it already is. You will promote more isolation which will allow further proliferation of the mentalities that we were condemned for. People that do not even agree with Aris will find no allies except for those within the FGC.

So, you first claim that there is no such thing as a Fighting Game Community, then that people can't understand how far people are going to distance themselves if they're not part of the community? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Also, going by the twitter updates provided, Patrick is providing his detractors with a place to air their "grievances" about how the article does not represent the FGC. It's too soon to actually say how many people actually accepted the invite, but it's going to be interesting to see how many people will actually put their money where their mouth is.

And before people bring up Kayo Police or Ricky Ortiz: having one transgendered or openly gay individual among the ranks does not mean that the community is suddenly "the pinnacle of tolerance and acceptance".

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Hailinel

@mnzy said:

@Brodehouse said:

Honestly, I get it. First of all, there are not that many people in a position to speak for the whole community. And of those few, most didn't have anything to do with the show. So why would they really go out their to a publication that apart from sensationalism doesn't care about them at all? I've heard many voices that never heard of Kotaku before this thing happened. The gaming press doesn't really matter as far as the FGC is concerned.

You would do better in describing how Giant Bomb has been sensationalist in this, because from my viewpoint, they haven't been.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By Vorbis

He asked for a response during the weekend of one of the biggest tournaments of the year, not to mention Giantbomb/Kotaku has become a meme and a joke to the FGC, no surprise they aren't queueing up to talk to Patrick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see an indepth, properly researched and informative article from Patrick discussing what many feel is a endemic problem at the core of this.

But I can also see how he hasn't gotten much of a response. First of all, Final Round was being held when he was sending out feelers and whining about them not having time for them, they were quite busy with that. I would presume that Patrcik had researched that little factoid before going to Twitter and type "WOE IS ME". And secondly why the hell would they want to talk to Patrick after the he turned in the worst work of his career (At least under the Giant Bomb banner) covering this ordeal. I've had nothing, but respect for his work up until now, but when he haphazardlouly pulls together a TMZ level piece of tabloid junk to beat Destructoid to the punch, he seriously hurt the credinility he had earned so well over the years.

There's probably a big inner hesiatation in the community about conferring between themselves before having anybody being singled out as the voice of the FGC in this context. Honestly, I'm hoping they're doing their best to decide on a person who will be able to get across the message of the second SRK article to the more mainstream part of the people following this story.

All in all, they need to stop clamming up, cause now that the initial shock, weekend and Final Round is over, addressing this really needs to become they're absolute top priority.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mnzy
@Hailinel: Well how about every gaming site out there reporting on it and never on anything else that happens in the FGC?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hailinel

@Vorbis said:

He asked for a response during the weekend of one of the biggest tournaments of the year, not to mention Giantbomb/Kotaku has become a meme and a joke to the FGC, no surprise they aren't queueing up to talk to Patrick.

Well, that's part of the problem right there. It's not Patrick's fault that this story happened to break at a time when a huge tournament was taking place.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Hailinel

@mnzy said:

@Hailinel: Well how about every gaming site out there reporting on it and never on anything else that happens in the FGC?

Not every game site is dedicated to FGC news. These sites don't cover tournaments, charities or other events because they have to devote time to other aspects of games that exist beyond fighting games. Giant Bomb in particular has one dedicateed news person, with everyone else splitting time between reviews, previews, coverage of industry events and everything else that they do to provide content for the site. Patrick posted his initial story on the Cross Assault incident because information on what happened was forwarded to him as an unsolicited tip and he performed his research from there. That is not promoting sensationalism. That's doing one's job to report news. Patrick has done his best to get as much of the story as he can from all sides; that people within the FGC have been unwilling to speak out about the issues at hand is not his fault.

SomeScrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SomeScrub

People like Aris and the offensive commentators are a distinct minority. And the only reason people don't know that is because all they know about the FGC is what they have seen on steams and the internet. They have never bothered to come out and see for themselves. And if your response to that is "I don't wanna invest the time/energy" well awesome, but shut up then if you aren't willing to do leg work and find the truth out.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Gaff

@Hailinel said:

@mnzy said:

Not every game site is dedicated to FGC news. These sites don't cover tournaments, charities or other events because they have to devote time to other aspects of games that exist beyond fighting games. Giant Bomb in particular has one dedicateed news person, with everyone else splitting time between reviews, previews, coverage of industry events and everything else that they do to provide content for the site. Patrick posted his initial story on the Cross Assault incident because information on what happened was forwarded to him as an unsolicited tip and he performed his research from there. That is not promoting sensationalism. That's doing one's job to report news. Patrick has done his best to get as much of the story as he can from all sides; that people within the FGC have been unwilling to speak out about the issues at hand is not his fault.

Also: RSS Feeds. Don't forget that there are plenty of gaming sites (not naming names) who will repost anything without doing the legwork young Patrick has done.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By mnzy
@Hailinel: Well, it's not his "fault", but you said it yourself: he doesn't cover them, why should they care then? 
Really, brownnosing the mainstream gaming media wouldn't do them any favours, they can only lose.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Hailinel

@mnzy said:

@Hailinel: Well, it's not his "fault", but you said it yourself: he doesn't cover them, why should they care then? Really, brownnosing the mainstream gaming media wouldn't do them any favours, they can only lose.

Patrick's job as a reporter is to report news, not to give the FGC special treatment. If special treatment and cheerleading is really what the FGC at large wants, then they will remain insular and misunderstood.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mnzy
@Hailinel said:

@mnzy said:

@Hailinel: Well, it's not his "fault", but you said it yourself: he doesn't cover them, why should they care then? Really, brownnosing the mainstream gaming media wouldn't do them any favours, they can only lose.

Patrick's job as a reporter is to report news, not to give the FGC special treatment. If special treatment and cheerleading is really what the FGC at large wants, then they will remain insular and misunderstood.

You're not good at reading, dude. 
They don't want anything from a site like GB. They should give them a reason to answer, that was my initial point. I'm done here.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Hailinel

@mnzy said:

@Hailinel said:

@mnzy said:

You're not good at reading, dude. They don't want anything from a site like GB. They should give them a reason to answer, that was my initial point. I'm done here.

No, what you want is for Patrick to brown-nose the FGC.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#90  Edited By jakob187

I'm still trying to figure out when "fighting game community" became a set of proper words that deserve to be capitalized.

If someone from the community could explain THAT to me, I'd be much happier than having everything else discussed and explained.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Beaudacious

I really don't care what your wall of text says, but the "Fighting Community" is worse then the CS community. Its compiled of wanna be gansta's, that are the equivalent 4chan of the video game world.

I've gone to fighting community tourneys before, and its been such a repulsive experience.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By FLStyle
No Caption Provided

Credit where it's due, thanks go to Patrick.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#93  Edited By Grixxel

This is still a thing? Wow, talk about fucking first world problems. This shit is pathetic.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#94  Edited By DG991

This reminds me of the shit people get for being Philadelphia fans on some parts of the east coast.

Just because a minority of fans act horrible, the rest of the community gets a bad rep.

What am I talking about?

The guy that vomited on the little girl at the phillys game

The 3 guys that beat the shit (killed?) an Afghanistan vet after a flyers game.

The Eagles fans who act retarded.

But I know hundreds of fans personally who are kind and certainly not capable of that violence/hatred.

Same goes for the FGC.

FUMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By FUMN

@Gaff said:

And before people bring up Kayo Police or Ricky Ortiz: having one transgendered or openly gay individual among the ranks does not mean that the community is suddenly "the pinnacle of tolerance and acceptance".

And before people bring up Aris and SuperYan: Having one sexist member among our ranks does not suddenly mean that we are "the pinnacle of sexism and intolerance.

You ignore my fact that I stated that there is no UNITED FGC. Unlike SC2, there is no major league, there is no cohesive circuit that leads to the World Championship of SC2. There are a ridiculous amount of circuits that have nothing to do with EVO. We have no united community. We have a shit ton of facets; Eventhubs, SRK, Iplaywinner, r/sf4, and many more. We are in no way united, but we all get together at EVO. Before you attempt to formulate an articulate opinion, why don't you attempt to understand the entire community?

I am writing this essay in between SF4 rounds, smoking cigarettes, drinking beers, so excuse my lack cohesion.

My intro: I am a member of the FGC. I play SSF4ae daily, check eventhubs, SRK, Iplaywinner and R/Sf4 with great fervor. I currently have 3100pp on PSN using Hakan, and 3400pp on XBL using Hakan. I have been playing fighting games since about 2007-8~. I started playing as Zappa in GGx2. I dedicated an enormous amount of time to understanding the game, and when I hit a brickwall, I found myself delving into dustloop.com in an attempt to get a grasp on how the combo system worked. I found enormous amounts of help within the small communities of Weeaboos that inhabit that forum. I also found a bastion within SRK. And I am eternally grateful for how they treated me, as this was absolutely paramount to my interest in FGs.

A short year later, SF4 was starting to come out and many people got excited and got caught up in the "release fever." I was one of the many that got caught up. So I bought it on its release day. I popped it in my Xbox360 and have been completely enveloped by the game since. EventHubs sprang up and I immediately was a follower, I spent just as much time in the game as I did researching the game. Weeks after the release of SF4, SRKs forums were littered with helpful advice and encouraging words for me to continue my support. I explored and delved headfirst into the genre. Completely engrossed by this one game, I spent all my online time dedicated to beating people, and learning from my mistakes when I lost. I was an online warrior. Hovering a little over 1000pp I was proud of my accomplishment, willing to brag it to any of my friends. This continued and continued to grow for several years.

Fastfoward to around the year of my graduation from High School; I felt confident in my abilities in SSF4. And I started attending local tourneys and get togethers. The first time I met the self-proclaimed SF4 champ of KC, Axiom, .... I whooped his ass with my Deejay. Then I beat him with Seth, my secondary at the time. I felt great. It was awesome to play him in a noncompetitive environment and show him what I was made of. Then the community died, we lost our local spot to play FGs. We would have weekly roundtables, but they were at various people's houses and I was never able to attend. For months this continued, as I lamented in my inability to play with my new found friends. Then, finally, a tournament happened at a local Magic card shop. I returned my full glory..... I was knocked into the losers bracket in the first round by Axiom, who proceeded to yell at me from across the room how I was "fucking free", I left, embarrassed, and have yet to return. That was around one year ago.

As you can tell from my origins, I do not understand nor condone shittalking within the FG community. I have yet to work up the courage to show my face back, shit talking is completely toxic to the community. I have continued to follow the FGC closely since my exile. I am planning on attending EVO this year as well.

Anyways, that's who I am. I am a member of the FGC.

How I see this controversy:

First---- Let us respond to how people think that the FGC is giving Patrick the cold shoulder—-

From the select links that I checked, Patrick has asked via Twitter for a direct response from Team Sp00ky, LordOfUltima, and various faces that form the FG community. The problem is that none of the aforementioned names represent any large part of the FGC. They are not spokesmen, they are members. Their opinion is moot. Their opinion is just that; THEIR opinion. NOT the opinion of the FGC.

Team Sp00ky mostly represents the East Side mentality of FGC. Which entails mostly shit talking, calling each other faggots/niggas/dicks, saying politically incorrect shit and laughing it off. Also they end most of their sentences with “Godlike” or “Swag.” Team Spooky has no PR person, and they have no idea how to respond directly with the press. It probably is for the best. , as the east side represents the most archaic ideology out of any subFGC. Jeff explained this antiquated ideology the best in the latest podcast.

Asking LordofUltima for a response is absolutely ridiculous. The only thing LordofUltima has done is help the rise of a new character. All he’s done is work on a video guide for Evil Ryu’s combos, and this was within the first month of his release. That’s it. He hasn’t done anything else. Expecting a response from a combo maker is absurd. He’s only a member of the community.

Patrick has also sought responses from various other sources, such as Skisonic or NYCFurby (Aurturo). These people would be too busy to involve themselves with another scandal. As both, Skisonic and Aurturo are themselves in the midst of a scandal already. Mike Ross and Jago are suspected of throwing their matches to build hype and make money off of advertising and streams. That’s a real controversy, instead of that this one.

If you want to get the gut reaction of the community, check the SRK comments on articles pertaining to this topic. That’s how we feel about it.

Secondly, Let’s discuss how Aris got onto CrossAssault and how the community is expected to answer for his words.

-As Justin Wong is to Street Fighter, Aris is to Tekken. He is a man who has spent an enormous amount of time dedicated to bettering the US Tekken scene. He is a proficient player; he has a personality that puts him beyond the identity of just “that guy that’s good at Tekken.” He became a mascot after he proposed marriage to the transgender Japanese girl Kayo Police. It was not at the whim of the FGC to put Aris in front of a Capcom sponsored stream, it was Capcom’s decision. If Capcom followed the Tekken scene with a slight bit of interest, they would understand that giving Aris a live microphone was like giving a child a handgun. People would get hurt. He is a person who represents a very archaic idea of how FGs work.-- You talk shit, you have fun, you leave – This was how old FGCs worked. In my opinion, Aris was just tongue tied with a microphone in his face and misspoke. He was defending the archaic ideology of shittalking, and it got mistaken as sexism. But I cannot speak for certain on what Aris meant, the only one that can speak for certain what Aris meant is Aris himself. Capcom can give an official explanation but that only goes so far. It is solely Aris is responsible for his words.

- The idea of Phoenix being a bitch is completely accurate, and it was a bad analogy by the questioner. Phoenix was a character in MVC3 that, after out playing her for 90 seconds, could destroy you in less than five seconds without an ounce of skill. She was a bitch. If Phoenix was a male character, she would be a bitch. There is no way around it. If you played Vanilla MVC3, you would understand how that this character could completely undermine your skill with pure luck.

Third- What has the FGC done in response?

Well SRK has posted two articles in response, and has given a both the Goodcop and Badcop touch on the issue. The first was more of a “c’mon everybody” motif. The second was more of a “put your foot down” motif.

Eventhubs has posted the apology from Aris, and the outlook on the situation from Mike Ross, Gooteks, and ReNic.

All of the comments have been in spite of Aris and supporting openness within the community. If you are expecting to change 20 year old ideologies within a week, you are sadly mistaken. We are working the best we can.

In Closing.

We are working as hard as we can to fix this problem. But before then please attempt to meet the FGC halfway, and we ask for a bit of understanding. We are a 20 year old community and attempting to understand us within a week is a fool’s errand. We cannot fix this problem while people are relentlessly attacking us for not fixing this problem fast enough. The only thing you are encouraging is further reclusion by the FGC. Even people that disagreed with Aris’ words will only find allies within the FGC. Resulting in an even further locked down FGC.

Legendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Legendary

@FUMN: Just want to say LordofUltima has done way more things than just give an E.Ryu tutorial...

Also, I like how you, someone I have no idea about, is saying something for the whole community while you're saying Arturo, Skisonic, LordofUltima shouldn't need to speak because they're aren't the faces of the FGC. Please dude...

FUMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By FUMN

@Legendary: What has LordOfUltima done other then the E.Ryu Tut and bringing E.Ryu to light? Please tell me?

Arturo nor Skisonic represent the FGC. They represent only themselves.

Legendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Legendary

@FUMN: Hmm, LordofUltima has done various mini tutorials on hit-confirms, option-selects, and as well as an Akuma tutorial.

You're right, Skisonic doesn't talk to the community and doesn't do commentary, and also isn't friends with various people in the FGC. I guess he isn't in SRK either right or doesn't have a podcast interviewing people from the FGC?

Arturo loves the community. He goes to a SHIT ton of majors and is friends with a TON of people. He WANTS this community to grow and to be respected.

Really man, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm kind of sad. :\

FUMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By FUMN

@Legendary: So LordOfUltima has done tutorials. How does that make him the face of a community?

SkiSonic was never directly asked by Partrick for a interview. So what about that. Yeah he does a podcast. But why should it be focused on this one issue in the FGC? Aris is a nonissue among the SF community. The SF community doesnt give a shit about a tekken player. Why now? SRK has voiced their opinion on how they feel, which is who sponsors SkiSonics podcast. What else is there to say.

Auturo does talk about how he wants the community to grow. But he also broke the story that Jago and Mike Ross might be fixing matches. He's a little busy because hes balancing ostracism by the FGC and responding to Patrick's questions on this different controversy.

Keep acting like I dont understand the FGC. Shut the fuck up.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#100  Edited By groin

@Legendary said:

@FUMN: Hmm, LordofUltima has done various mini tutorials on hit-confirms, option-selects, and as well as an Akuma tutorial.

You're right, Skisonic doesn't talk to the community and doesn't do commentary, and also isn't friends with various people in the FGC. I guess he isn't in SRK either right or doesn't have a podcast interviewing people from the FGC?

Arturo loves the community. He goes to a SHIT ton of majors and is friends with a TON of people. He WANTS this community to grow and to be respected.

Really man, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm kind of sad. :\

LordOfUltima has also made promo videos for many iPlayWinner streams. Keep on being ignorant