Posted by TheMist997 (25 posts) -

The Nintendo Switch is having their new console release tomorrow. Their new device is very innovative and its on-the-go console is something that is very interesting. But Nintendo's newest piece of hardware has a lot of drawbacks to it as well, like mediocre hardware and serious downsides to portable gaming. With their console releasing tomorrow, I was thinking about the new console, and some questions came to my head. I wanted to share my questions with you. Now these questions may already be answered, but these questions are mainly things that you should be thinking about as well before accepting or rejecting the Switch.

1. How much third party support will the Switch get?

Now it is no secret that this console is wildly different compared to the PS4 and the Xbox One(for better and for worse.) While consoles use discs, the Switch will use small cartridges. Now these cartridges are very small(and apparently terrible tasting,) but what else is small is the 32 gb of storage they give you(which is expandable to a certain degree.) With all of these factors plus the mediocrity of the hardware and the battery life and downgrade of the console in portable mode, the question comes to mind is how much third party support will this console get? Now Nintendo makes a good amount of games to this day, but first party games plus Skyrim will not make this console sell. The bigger question in the question is how many larger games or triple A games will be made for the Switch? Upcoming triple A games like 'Ghost Recon: Wildlands' and 'Mass Effect: Andromeda' will surely have large files and will take good hardware to run. But the problem is that these games alone will probably take more storage than what the Switch could handle at the beginning. And what about those large files on a small cartridge? The ultimate question is will these larger developers and publishers spend time and money on their very large games to optimize it to Switch hardware, make a physical cartridge smaller than a 3ds cartridge, and cut the fat off games to fit a decent file size to accommodate the people who don't upgrade their storage capacity? Now I do believe that indie games will no doubt be on the Switch, but the question is can the Switch play every game just like the other consoles can?

2. How many multiplayer games will the Switch have?

The Switch will be setting up their online services similarly to the other consoles in the fall. The yearly cost of the Switch online service is only around 17-26 USD, compared to PS Plus or Xbox Gold at 60 USD. But the Switch does play out their membership differently, as for the free game you get in the Switch service will disappear after the month ends and the current way that is set up to chat with friends and invite them is through an app on your phone. But the real question is how many multiplayer games will their be for the Switch? The main reason people buy the online service of the other two consoles is because their are a lot of multiplayer games that release for those two consoles. But the wii u didn't have that many strong multiplayer titles. The only Switch game in its current line-up that stands out to me as a multiplayer-focused game is Splatoon 2. I wonder about this because I want to know if the online service is even worth paying less than thirty USD for if the service mainly offers me one free game that I cannot even keep for later. Then on top of that, the question that comes to mind is if this online service is rather useless(since Nintendo isn't a strong online multiplayer platform,) then how much of the online components of the Switch will be locked behind this paid service. Even if you don't have a membership, the PS4 will still allow some online services to be used, like their store. But will Nintendo take out every online service including the store as part of their service?

3. How noticeable will the downgrades of the Switch be in portable mode?

The Switch has a way where you can play their new console on-the-go. But playing on the go has some serious downsides compared to playing docked in at the station. The battery life is low, the cpu becomes limited, and the overall performance of the games will be lowered off dock than on. But how noticeable will that be to you. This question is probably already answered, showing docked vs. undocked gameplay. But the changes are at different levels of significance to different people. And seeing a video is one thing, but actually trying it out is something different. When you play in portable mode, would you care and spot the lower performance on portable and be mad about, or would you not really care about those differences and are just happy with the fact that you can play these games on-the-go near a wall outlet?

Don't get me wrong, I think that this console is really cool. It is something that is different than anything anyone is doing, you can play console games anywhere, and some games coming out on launch and in the future look very enticing. But their are some serious things holding me back from this console as well; like it's meh hardware, serious problems with the portable mode, and the rather useless online service Nintendo is offering. Their are many other aspects, good and bad, that are included in the Switch as well as the ones talked about here. I just wanted to say a few questions that came to mind about the Switch that may change your mind on whether or not you want to invest 300 USD into Nintendo's new product.

#1 Posted by probablytuna (4968 posts) -

On Question 3: Based on my limited time with the Switch so far, I would say the opposite is true. Playing Zelda in handheld mode was actually better performance-wise than it was playing it docked. I also feel that the game benefits from being played on Switch's screen, which is quite beautiful, compared to my monitor, which makes the game look more washed out. Granted this differs from person to person depending on what type of TV/monitor you're playing on but for me I think I'll be primarily playing it in handheld mode.

#2 Posted by pompouspizza (1304 posts) -

@probablytuna: I have seen multiple people mention this, it's super weird! Do you think it's because it's displaying at a lower resolution?

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#3 Posted by SloppyDetective (1108 posts) -

Question 1. and 2. seem to have easy answers: hardly any, and hardly any. Nintendo sells consoles made for Nintendo games. You either know this and are ok/not ok with that proposition, or don't know this and will be disappointed.

Expecting games like Mass Effect and Ghost Recon to come out on this thing seems like a pipe dream, but I guess I'm (and most people here) pretty aware of the industry and of the incentive and limitations a Nintendo console holds.

#4 Posted by probablytuna (4968 posts) -

@probablytuna: I have seen multiple people mention this, it's super weird! Do you think it's because it's displaying at a lower resolution?

It's definitely possible, but we'll probably need more games to test out handheld vs docked performances.

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (7493 posts) -

Switch will not get multi platform third party games, but will get the smaller indie titles from third parties and a few third party exclusives. It's almost guaranteed.

It would be foolish to buy one with the intention of playing bigger games that appear on both xbox and playstation.

#6 Posted by TheMist997 (25 posts) -

@sloppydetective: I totally do not expect Ghost Recon or Mass Effect on the console either, I was just using larger releases as an example to see if the Switch will have larger titles, because if not it will be hard to get a larger demographic outside of Nintendo fanboys and portable gamers.

#7 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (331 posts) -

compared to my monitor, which makes the game look more washed out.

Experiencing the exact same thing on my tv. The game looks so vivid on the Switch screen that it's always a little disappointing going back to tv.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#8 Posted by SloppyDetective (1108 posts) -

@themist997: It's just not going to have large 3rd party titles. I think the way they could make this thing the most appealing for a larger audience is make it a place for indie games like the vita did. If I knew I could play Nintendo games and all the hot new indie titles on the go it would be way more appealing.

Binding of Issac for $40 just isn't cutting it though.

#9 Posted by TheMist997 (25 posts) -

Thank you all for your opinions. I do want to clarify that the reason I talked about large third party titles is because to me, the Switch has this more mainstream vibe to it. Because of that, the thought of AAA games came to mind.