#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I am looking to get into a DotA style game and I was wondering, which out of these two should I pick? 

Thanks.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would probably say LoL just because it was made by the DotA guys.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@President_Barackbar said:
" I would probably say LoL just because it was made by the DotA guys. "
How is the userbase compared with them?
Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Drakhir

The learning curve of those two is pretty different. I found LoL easier to play right from the beginning. Hence why I'd suggest LoL.
Plus, I prefer LoL's graphics to HoN's. Cel-shaded champions and pretty environments.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Drakhir said:
" The learning curve of those two is pretty different. I found LoL easier to play right from the beginning. Hence why I'd suggest LoL. Plus, I prefer LoL's graphics to HoN's. Cel-shaded champions and pretty environments. "
How much do the graphics matter? I massively prefer HoN's graphics and dislike LoL, does that make any differences?
fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fixerofdeath

I much prefer LoL to HoN. Either way each community is comprised mainly of douche bags, so be prepared, and don't be upset when you're attacked with words. If you want to play either of these games try your best to play with friends as you will have a considerably worse time playing with random people. Its not uncommon to come across griefers in LoL who will purposely try to make your team lose.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So how many people play each one?

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Neither game is worth playing in my opinion. I spent hundreds of hours on LoL and it was one of the worst experiences ever in retrospect, due to poor sportsmanship and bad match-making. LoL is easier to pick up and play, but the gulf in player skill is still enormous, and most games are very one-sided affairs.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@owl_of_minerva
Neither game is worth playing in my opinion. I spent hundreds of hours on LoL and it was one of the worst experiences ever in retrospect, due to poor sportsmanship and bad match-making. LoL is easier to pick up and play, but the gulf in player skill is still enormous, and most games are very one-sided affairs.
But you spent.... Hundreds of hours?
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Tordah

I highly recommend LoL. The community isn't that bad unless you're really terrible, and even then, I just think it's funny when people start whining on each other for no reason.

Also, you'll save money since it's completely free to play.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Tordah
I highly recommend LoL. The community isn't that bad unless you're really terrible, and even then, I just think it's funny when people start whining on each other for no reason.

Isn't HoN free? I already have an account I got from beta...
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shiftymagician

I have no idea about the state of HoN nowadays, but I have always liked how LoL was handled.  I would play HoN if they had a similar payment model to LoL, as I would not ever pay upfront for a game which literally has little content compared to other games.  At least with LoL, I can try out the game, and If I like what it offers, I can then invest in it, so it is a safe venture.

At the very least, I did play the HoN Beta, and I do miss playing the Sand Wraith a little bit.  Once I figured him out it was crazy good fun, but enough for an upfront purchase? That I cannot definitively say for the moment.  Anyone here bought HoN and can vouch for its quality nowadays?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Azteck
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @Tordah

Isn't HoN free? I already have an account I got from beta... "
You have to buy the retail product in a store and create an account to play it, so no, it's not. LoL however is 100% free if you disregard some small options to do micro transactions.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@NekuSakuraba: It was addictive and free, but that doesn't mean I don't regret the many nights and mornings I spent playing it (wasted because I don't intend to ever play another MOBA). It's your call, it is free to try out, but you have to be willing to research builds and team strats to get the most out of it. And of course you must be thick-skinned to deal with inevitably getting called a 'bad' or 'noob' in almost every game your team isn't winning.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Azteck said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:
" @Tordah

Isn't HoN free? I already have an account I got from beta... "
You have to buy the retail product in a store and create an account to play it, so no, it's not. LoL however is 100% free if you disregard some small options to do micro transactions. "
What do you mean? I have an account already and just downloaded the client.. O__O 

And damn, micro-transactions? guess I better stay away from LoL.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By artofwar420
@NekuSakuraba: You just answered your own question, go play HoN. Personally, I used to play the shit out of the HoN beta, but I couldn't pay for the full game (rather other games came out). So my DOTA became LoL, which is quite competent and is free to play of course. The gist is that they rotate the free characters every so often. It is however possible to, through currency you earn by playing, buy other heroes. It just takes longer. I'd go play HoN if I had the money in an instant.
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Tordah
@NekuSakuraba: The micro-transactions are for buying additional skins for the champions. It's completely optional. The skins are the only thing you can't buy with influence points (the points you earn by playing games).

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By JammyJesus

I feel that HoN is a better game, yeah, you can play LoL for free, but microtransactions take the fun out of the game. Either way, I find that both communities are full of arseholes.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By artofwar420
@JammyJesus: Comes with the Dota package. I'm sure it'll follow with the new Dota Valve's making.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I gave HoN trail a shot but I don't know how to play after watching tutorials on youtube. 

What should I do?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By artofwar420
@NekuSakuraba: I say start in unranked servers and just goof around, get a feel of a few heroes. I got the impression you had played before though.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@artofwar420 said:
" @NekuSakuraba: I say start in unranked servers and just goof around, get a feel of a few heroes. I got the impression you had played before though. "
Well on the tutorial I watched it said to not auto attack, I don't know how to do that. 

And what heroes fall into the different classes? as in Nuker, Carrier etc?
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By artofwar420
@NekuSakuraba:  Alright, I'll do a quick and dirty lesson from my days in HoN.

• Auto Attack: When you "attack-move" into an area. This is not advisable in the beginning of the game since "last hitting" creeps is an important source of income. Also "denying" allied creeps from enemy heroes lessens the amount of gold and experience they get from that kill.
  • Last Hitting: Killing a low hp creep with one last blow assuring you get the gold. This is very advisable.
  • Denying: Last hitting your own creeps.This tactic also applies to towers that are about to be destroyed by an enemy. Deny them the gold!
  • Nuker Hero: Heroes with high damage "nuke" spells, in other words single cast, no set up or channeling. Pyro is one example.
  • Carry/Carrier Hero: Heroes that tend to be weak early game but become monsters, AKA can "carry" the team into victory later in the match. Of course they depend heavily in leveling fast, "fattening up". Sand Wraith is an example.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@artofwar420: So is there a place to find a list of heroes that fall into those classes? Like I know Pyro is a Nuker Hero (which I am interested in playing) but how about other heroes of that nature? 

And how do I not auto-attack? 

Thanks for putting up with me being a noob, really appreciate it!
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By phrosnite

I played HoN for 440 hours during the beta and I liked it. Haven't played LoL so...

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JauntyHat

So, going to give LoL a stab?
Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Raymayne

LoL because it's LoL and that's lol-worthy.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jeffsekai

LoL. 

HoN is so janky and unbalanced.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ToxicFruit
@NekuSakuraba: From what i have seen from all your replies to people you have oblivious chosen HoN instead of LoL.  
Now I have spent time with both game so here is what I have to say.   LoL is way more newbie friendly and from what I have seen the community is actually helpful but I found the HoN community( at least the people I played with) is hostile and did not much care for helping out new people out. 
I feel LoL is making good changes to the Dota gameplay were as HoN is just taking Dota and making it pretty and making very few changes of how it is played (Which is not necessarily a bad thing for some people) 
I am currently playing LoL and have been doing so since I was in the closed beta and am having a blast. I have gotten tons of people into the game and they have no problems picking it up. LoL is free you can unlock everything,except skins, through free gameplay. It has a leveling system a talent tree and more than one map. 
If you want to get  into Dota like games I strongly recommend you start with League of legends. 
And From what I have seen from the Poll result a lot of people think the same.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Give LoL a try, it's easy to pick up and fun to play (its still free right?) .
I know nothing of HoN but if you can try it, do so.

People opinions aren't gonna do much in the end anyway :P

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By artofwar420
@NekuSakuraba:  Sorry, had to go to sleep.

You avoid auto attacking by pressing "A" or clicking the attack button and clicking again in the desired creep/hero. I'm not sure of such a place though.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@JauntyHat

So, going to give LoL a stab?
Well it's free so what is there to lose right? I have downloaded HoN and LoL and we test them out.
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By VisariLoyalist

LoL is free and I'm a cheap bastard

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I played some LoL but the tutorial was very laggy even with a computer that can run the game.  

Why?

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LoL!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@artofwar420

So how would I know which hero falls into each role?
Slib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slib

League. Support Riot!

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played LoL for a while but ultimately stopped because it seemed every match i got into one of my teammates would just randomly drop out. 

haven't tried HoN but maybe it's different.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@NekuSakuraba
So I played some LoL but the tutorial was very laggy even with a computer that can run the game.  

Why?
?
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By artofwar420
@NekuSakuraba:  Looking at their spells, you'll know if they say channeling or not. Also if they're high damage.
colin_066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By colin_066

you should give LoL a bit more time since it is free and its different than HoN b/c it has the summoner system so to me its dota 2.0 whereas HoN is just dota with better graphics 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@colin_066

Any idea why the tutorial was super laggy?
fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fixerofdeath
@NekuSakuraba:  I've played the game with a multitude of friends and no one has had any problems... Maybe its on your end? Granted, all of my friends are experienced DoTa players and we all skipped the tutorials. If you've ever played DoTa I suggest you just jump into a game after researching the heroes a bit and finding one you'd think you'd like.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@FixerofDeath: I have a well enough computer to play the game, it shouldn't be laggy. And I have never played DotA before, only Demigod.
Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46  Edited By Raven10

I'm not sure about the lag on Lol but my brother has sunk thousands of hours into the game and still plays it daily. I would say that these types of games are most enjoyable when you are playing with friends. Trying to coordinate a battle with people you don't know is difficult, and most players are douches to new players. Find a friend who plays the game and learn from him/her. Trying to learn DOTA style games on your own is hard. There are tons of strategies and techniques that require an advanced player to teach you. It's really hard to get into on your own. You'll likely just get trampled. Also, I hate the art of Lol. It is atrocious. But that doesn't effect gameplay, so I guess no harm done.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee489577a60c
deactivated-5ee489577a60c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I find League of legends a little more friendly to new players, both in form of gameplay and the fact that most of the people on there are not assholes like on heroes of newerth

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Damn, you have to buy heroes in LoL?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By meteora

LoL because its free and easier to pick up.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By nicolenomicon

I like LoL a lot more. Plus the community isn't too bad.