Least Favorite Type of Weapon

• 76 results
AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I've been playing Battlefield 1 a lot lately and have been trying to level up all of the classes. One of those classes happens to be support which I absolutely despise mainly due to the classes reliance on light machine guns or LMGs for short. This got me thinking and I came to the realization that I don't think I like LMGs in any game. Lumbering around a huge gun with tons of ammo seems appealing on paper but in practice they always feel sluggish and rarely do the damage that you want them to do. So I was curious if you duders have any weapons you just hate using in games.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If I don't have to, I never use Uzis and SMGs. Also not a big fan of plasma/laser/whatever scifi tech weapons in games that have them. And not a sawed off shotgun person either.

In general, I like reasonably precise, reasonably powerful wepons (that aren't sniper rifles) the best, where pulling the trigger once fires one bullet, but the next one is immediatelly ready to fire. So pistols and carbines usually.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, guns. But in shooters, I never use SMGs either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not big on axes or other slower melee items; give me a medium stabby or some fast stabbies. As for guns LMG is probably my least used weapon. I'm not a big sniper guy either cuz I'm bad at it.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been modelling a revolver for the past couple weeks and I'm gonna say my least favourite weapon is definitely a revolver.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gargantuan

Oversized anime weapons

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah what's the point of SMGs in games? They'e always just shit assault rifles. Less damage less range less accuracy. Poop

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like big lumbering melee weapons. I'd almost always prefer to be lighter on my feet and have a quick slashing sword

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniper rifles. I play all my PC games with a controller, even the FPS ones, which means I suck at sniping.

In melee-focused games, its very fast weapons with a very limited range. So no daggers, rapiers, etc. for me. I want a weapon that feels like its doing damage; give me a freaking greatsword, or a mace, or something.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like anything slow. So anything with a slow rate of fire, slow reload or any melee weapon that takes forever to swing I just ignore. I also dont like lasers/plasma/any of that bullshit, I prefer real bullets

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

3 round burst pistols of any kind.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniper rifles. I don't mind them in some games - tend to get a lot of use out of them in, say, Fallout - but they're just really not my thing in shooters generally. Prefer shotguns and mid-range semi-automatic weapons, like the BR/DMR from Halo.

Beyond that, I'll just offer a counterpoint to all the 'no phasers/lasers/blasters' people, and say that I typically prefer the more sci-fi-y weapons when they're available. Grew up watching various flavours of Star Trek, so beam weapons are very much my jam. It actually kinda bugs me when far-future settings neglect them in favour of boring old bullets.

Anyways, when it comes to melee, I pretty much always prefer fast, precise weapons like daggers over big, lumbering swords and axes. I love playing fast, duel-wieldy rogues in RPGs. Smaller swords can be cool, too--wish more RPGs supported duelist-style combat, with single-handed swords and no shield.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

There are a few games that I have, but it takes a lot for me to enjoy using a bow and arrow. The controls are almost always crunky af. Why don't they just use shooting controls where you have to HOLD the left trigger to aim? It shouldn't be a pain in the ass to switch in and out of shooting mode.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't really like blunt weapons like clubs or big axes. Even with my love for giant melee weapons I generally want them to be bladed. Greatswords all the way.

I'm not a huge fan of automatics in shooters. They kind of feel too universal and effective. They make more interesting weapons less viable just by existing. Why would I use a bolt action rifle or a shotgun when an assault rifle outperforms them both in just about every area.

I also prefer the punch of ballistics over phasers or blasters, but stuff like the plasma cutter in Dead Space has a similar effect that I really enjoy, so maybe it's more about execution.

Mage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually avoid using any pistols if I can. There are some exceptions of course like the deagle in cs 1.6

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to avoid any kinda burst weapons like Shotguns in games.

I like precise, single shot weapons in games. In most games when you start with a pistol, and then later collect an automatic weapon like an assault rifle.. I will switch back to the pistol.

... Unless the game is Doom. THEN it's Shotguns all the way. That's an exception!

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any kind of sniper weapon. Back when I was a kid playing the brand new Half-Life mod Counter Strike, I loved it. Now I'm 35, and can't come close to having the precision or reaction time to snipe anything anymore.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't really due to any real gameplay element but I'm not a fan of axes. I just don't like the aesthetic at all.

Spears also get boring if the attacks are simply a series of pokes. I like the way Nioh incorporates sweeping attacks into the moveset.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't want no clubs. A club is a weapon that never gets used by me.

...Something something, passenger side, best friend's ride. ...Something something, holla at me.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kirkyx said:

Sniper rifles. I don't mind them in some games - tend to get a lot of use out of them in, say, Fallout - but they're just really not my thing in shooters generally. Prefer shotguns and mid-range semi-automatic weapons, like the BR/DMR from Halo.

Beyond that, I'll just offer a counterpoint to all the 'no phasers/lasers/blasters' people, and say that I typically prefer the more sci-fi-y weapons when they're available. Grew up watching various flavours of Star Trek, so beam weapons are very much my jam. It actually kinda bugs me when far-future settings neglect them in favour of boring old bullets.

Anyways, when it comes to melee, I pretty much always prefer fast, precise weapons like daggers over big, lumbering swords and axes. I love playing fast, duel-wieldy rogues in RPGs. Smaller swords can be cool, too--wish more RPGs supported duelist-style combat, with single-handed swords and no shield.

I think that my main beef with laser type weapons is that a lot of the time they sound really weak and lame when you fire them. real guns tend to have more of a punch

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There has never been a good SMG in any game

Mage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mage_
slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good question. I actually can't think of a weapon type that didn't have some game version I enjoyed. I would say hammers but I did a mount and blade run where I only used a 2hd hammer and that was extremely fun. Maces maybe? Can't think of the last fun mace. For guns I generally don't use shotguns without some zombies being involved

Voidoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like dual-wielding, of guns or melee-weapons. I have a hard time articulating why though. It just seems like a fighting style that would not be very practical or effective in reality I guess. I especially dislike D&D type rules were if you have a weapon in each hand you can attack twice as often, which just seems like such childish schoolyard logic to me.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Efesell

Can't really think of a game where I've enjoyed hammers or clubs. It's not an especially exciting weapon type and it's usually the slowest thing on offer.

On the shooter side of things I'll go out of my way as long as possible to avoid a burst rifle.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@pie said:

Yeah what's the point of SMGs in games? They'e always just shit assault rifles. Less damage less range less accuracy. Poop

The idea of SMGs originally in sim games at least was that it was able to fire automatic with decent accuracy at close range, as whereas a rifle would be harder to control under auto fire, so if you needed to be fast and accurate up close and SMG was a great option. These days however most games just make assault rifles that combine the best of both - range, accuracy, and controllability. As a result SMG have been relegated to secondary weapons if not replaced entirely in most games. Ironically enough, these same exact things happened in the real world as actual assault rifles got shorter and easier to control, so the days of using SMGs like the MP5 are pretty much gone, being replaced by short assault rifles like the MK18 and Colt Commando in military SOF units and police SWAT teams worldwide.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

That weapon in Gears of War 4 that fires on a specific cadence was so awful to use I immediately dropped it when I realized what the gimmick was.

Also, give the MG15 Suppressive a shot in BF1. Prop it up on something (or just lie down on the ground) and just start dumping. Thing's got a 200 round magazine that'll suppress everyone in front of you.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hammers and axes mostly. Sometimes I like big "fuck off" swords but not usually. Any type of melee weapon that forces 2-hand. And fuck maces.

Except Japanese swords. I'll through out all the rules for those.

As far as guns go I'm not really a fan of burst fire rifles. I wanna duuuuuump.

TurkThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TurkThomas

Shotguns for me. They always promise so much and then feel so completely underwhelming. Perfect example is ME:A's multiplayer. Was using a shotgun in a match today and even with a 50% damage buff due to the match parameters, it was still taking 2-3 shots to down something at point blank range.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I wish I could just remove traps from a weapon wheel/selection UI. I can count the number of games with fun traps on one hand (Horizon included), but for some reason tons of games think "Waiting" is fun gameplay, especially if there are good mobility options.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shotguns for me. They always promise so much and then feel so completely underwhelming. Perfect example is ME:A's multiplayer. Was using a shotgun in a match today and even with a 50% damage buff due to the match parameters, it was still taking 2-3 shots to down something at point blank range.

You have obviously never played a DOOM game lol.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sniper rifles. The penalty for a miss is often too high for me. I also don't generally enjoy shotguns outside of Bungie shooters and Doom. I prefer to keep my distance.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ezekiel

@mage_ said:

@ajamafalous: weelllll

No Caption Provided

I love the loud ratata of CoD4's Mini-Uzi. I felt like a John Woo action star, jumping from a platform as I shot to the side and got one last kill before the end of a match, in mid-air. The assault rifles aren't as effective if you wanna shoot from the hip at close range.

Anyway, I agree with great swords and other giant weapons being lame. I also found the twinblades in Dark Souls II dumb.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: You're just sore from all us SMG users smoking your ass.

I don't like two handed swords/axes/hammers in action RPGs. They're too slow. I prefer swords/shields, or something quick like a dagger.

In shooters I generally don't like sniping, though the exceptions are Counter Strike and Team Fortress. I'm an SMG/Shotgun user mostly.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMGs. Everything about them is the antithesis of how I like to play shooters.

Also not a fan of Molotovs in most games. Give me a good ol' frag grenade.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

After being very completionist with the last few CoD games I got over my mental blocks about weapons. I used to just like assault rifles, but when you have top rank up all weapons to get a particular skin or item you quickly learn to just use what you have to use to get the unlocks you want. If the game says use pistols to get a hat...I use pistols. It is very freeing to just know that you have used a weapon enough to be proficient with it in the game. Sometimes when you kill someone and you see they had a blinged out weapons that just looks stupid...you want to use it...just to piss them off. "Hey, look buddy, I have you dumb weapon. So, now, I'm shooting you with it!!!"

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3-round burst is dumb.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I generally avoid shotguns unless I need to use them for some sort of challenge or if the situation makes sense to use them. But in terms of something like BF1 I will almost never use a shotgun as my primary weapon. I don't enjoy having to consider the effective range of the gun I'm using if I can clearly see an enemy. I tend to favor semi-automatic rifles with either iron sights or a scope with low-medium magnification. For example in BF1 my most used weapon is the Mondragón. If I can put a suppressor on the gun I'll also probably do that.

In terms of melee weapons I generally stay away from slower weapons like two handed swords, maces, etc. I tend to prefer the standard one handed sword or axe with a shield although I really like dual wielding weapons, specifically daggers, for some reason. Also a big fan of using a bow.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boomerangs. Especially ones where you have limited stock and catching them gets you ammo back. I always end up killing myself. Note: I'm talking 2D platformers.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, you still got the BAR aka the best allround gun in the game in BF1...

I never really liked grenade launchers. They always feel like less powerfull rocketlaunchers.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

LMGs, 3 round bursts, heavy weapons like two hand weapons like axes. I consistently love pistols, dual wielding in general, sleek swords and sniper rifles. This is like a weird confessional..

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

I've been modelling a revolver for the past couple weeks and I'm gonna say my least favourite weapon is definitely a revolver.

I'm not a big fan of revolvers either, they look cool but using them always sucks. It's one of the reasons I find it hard to be excited by any game in a wild west setting.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess guns that have cooldowns?

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak EDIT: My bad duder!

@ajamafalous: The ones I play the most of these days generally don't either. Bit weird that you'd even comment on it in that case.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Chain guns that you have to spin up are gross.

For melee weapons, anything that has only one kind of attack. So if say a regular attack is a thrust, and a heavy attack is a slower, stronger thrust, then I'm out. Come on devs, you gotta mix and match.

Also great axes: ugly.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48  Edited By Giantstalker

Smaller guns are disappointing, and bigger guns always just seem better.

So I kinda hate pistols, while an M60 or larger is my jam- especially cannons and artillery, I go nuts for that stuff

Anything that isn't a gun is automatically in its own, lesser category. With the possible exception of bayonets?

EDIT: If you didn't like LMGs before, you'll like them after trying the MG42 from Red Orchestra. It's a 1200rpm buzzsaw that'll probably kill a man in one shot, and will almost certainly cut him in half by tapping the trigger.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BoOzak

@clairvoyantvibrations: The westerns you play dont have revolvers? I dont think it's a real leap in logic to lump them together. Sorry if i've offended you somehow Ocelot.

EDIT: I'm guessing you meant to reply to ajamafalous ;p

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By OpusOfTheMagnum

I want to like Revolvers but I just can't use them. I loved the way that BF4 managed to make a weapon I fired by clicking my hyper sensitive gaming mouse button feel like it had a longer, heavier trigger pull. I'm just shit at using them.

Otherwise the only thing that comes to mind are guns that fire an entire burst with a squeeze of the trigger. I like to have complete control over my gun so if I don't follow through with my trigger finger I don't want it to still be shooting.

Somewhat unrelated; I am morally opposed to sniper rifles that kill in one shot in games. One exception being the antimaterial gun in BF1 because it's a pickup and it's crazy fun to use.

@pie: If the game does them right they have more manageable recoil and are easier to "point and shoot" at close distances due to high stability and high rate of fire. ROF increase means more chances to hit in any given span of time and usually makes hitting a target on the move easier, as you are less likely to have your bore lined up on the SOB without sending a round out of the chamber.

All I really did in Black Ops 3 was roll with an SMG class kitted out for the best possible hip fire accuracy and a very high rate of fire. On PC especially it was ludicrously effective.