LEGO trying a physical mario maker

curiosus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was hoping for a massive Princess Peach's castle when they announced this the other day. This is a weird toy idea with the built-in LCD and the crotch hole for scanning RFID tags. He also seems to have a bluetooth button on the back, hopefully that's just for updates or some optional remote control, its a big fail if this requires a smartphone tether. Theres already a lego theme with its own AR game app and I'm not convinced its following EU data protection laws fully.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By rahulricky

Of all of the things LEGO and Nintendo could have made together, this seems like the least fun idea.

*edit*

From IGN's story https://uk.ign.com/articles/lego-super-mario-revealed-bridges-gap-between-games-and-lego

"And for those wondering, Bennink confirmed these are not a whole new set of amiibo figurines – they are a unique brand of tech being employed. So there's no interactivity with Nintendo Switch at this time."

which I think is an additional reason to think it's dumb.

curiosus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theres nothing unique about RFID tags, thats some I don't understand this marketing talk for they didn't want to make them amiibos. A LEGO Mario switch game could read these tags or connect to the Mario, but if thats the plan it will probably focus on the bluetooth connection to Mario.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, it's basically a customizable board game? Bit disappointing. The model doesn't look very detailed or coherent. I really just want a traditional Lego set in the Mario world. This looks like the sort of thing that would be fun for an hour or two, and then inevitably get put away or mixed with the other Lego. I want something that's highly detailed and fun to look at a year later.

Of course what I *really* want is Lego + Zelda. That would take my money so fast.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So bummed. Now between Mario and adventure Time Lego has broken my.heart twice

curiosus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By curiosus

@sahalarious The ideas set for adventure time was bad but I have some of the characters as proper minfigs via dimensions. Dimensions was overpriced but most shops started discounting heavily when it ended. Still sucks that they missed PB and Ice King, and the Jake Minifig is weirdly bad. https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Adventure-Time

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@curiosus: yeah I have the Lego dimensions sets, would have dropped a pretty penny for a treehouse set though

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By FacelessVixen

I get what they're trying to do, but... no.

Even the kids looked kinda bored.

zombiepenguin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like the general idea of this... but I'd rather it be normal sized Legos. I think they'd look better with the 8-bit aesthetic. That Mario just looks like some sort of pseudo-Duplo thing.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Would have much preferred LEGO set with custom Mario figures. It didn't need to be this big monstrosity that doesn't go along with any other LEGO set.

Avatar image for midboss1ststage
Midboss1stStage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making Mario into a physical toy that creates a game-like structure to play definitely feels like the sort of idea that would have been kicking around Nintendo for years, so spiritually this feels like it's doing the right thing. It doesn't have the appeal to me that normal Mario LEGO would have, but as a thing for kids to play with it looks inventive and I hope it takes off.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It could be cool for kids as a build your own board game kind of idea. A traditional set could be cool, but I'm a little relieved it's not something so great I want it. Lego's expensive.