Let's talk about Dungeon Keeper...the new one I mean.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Edited By Halomaste19

I've never played the original Dungeon Keeper series, so I went into the new game from EA Mythic with an open mind. I didn't bring any nostalgia or memories. I also didn't bring any money, which means I'm screwed.

*(To Continue Reading this Dungeon Keeper Impression please wait 2 hours OR use 10 Blue Gems)*

As I downloaded Dungeon Keeper from the Play Store, I was thinking about all the hate that people online were throwing at the game. Was it really that bad? Well, 5 minutes in this convinced me we were in disgusting territory.

No Caption Provided

To make things worst, when you spend gems he, "Horny", laughs at you or makes fun of you. He even bemoans the fact that you aren't spending more money on your dungeon. It literally is like the devil tempting you.

*(OH No, looks like you want to keep reading this Dungeon Keeper Impression- please wait 20 Weeks OR use 200 Green Crystals tm)*

The basic idea of Dungeon Keeper is to create a massive and dangerous dungeon. Which you do by digging out tunnels and building rooms. Which, should be a fun and strategic part of the game. Except, its not. Instead its a giant waiting game. And I mean waiting game. Some of the blocks only take 5 seconds to break down, but others take 45 minutes, 4 hours or even more. Like how about a whole fucking day..

249 Gems = about $2.50
249 Gems = about $2.50

*(Your Energy Meter is Depleted!! Share this Impression with 20 friends to get a FREE refill OR Wait 3 hours.)*

What makes this wait worse is that you have to have a minion to do anything, whether that's placing a trap or a door or digging out your dungeon's tunnels.Which wouldn't be that bad if minions weren't ridiculously expensive..which they are. They are laughably over priced. A single minion costs... 800 Gems. Now here is the price breakdown on the Gems..

Here's a tip: Spending $100 on fake consumable gems is NEVER the
Here's a tip: Spending $100 on fake consumable gems is NEVER the "Best Value". Ever.

The saddest part about Dungeon Keeper is that at its core, there is a fun game here. The basic idea of being the bad guy and building a big dangerous dungeon is cool, as it was in the older games. The art style and voice over work is really nice, even if the writing is a bit annoying. The production values are high, and the touch controls are responsive and easy to use. I even enjoyed attacking other people's dungeons, even if its nearly identical to Clash of Clans, its still a interesting idea.

But by hiding it all behind paywalls and IAPs, behind bullshit micro-transactions and timers it makes me hate playing the game. I mean, what this game and similar games are basically saying is this: "Our game isn't very fun & there is not a lot to do, and if you WANT to just skip this stuff well, you can. Just give us some money." And if any game designer or creator is OK with that message, then I hope they stop making games. I hate sounding like an old man, yelling at the kids on his front yard. But this is not how games should work.So just please, leave this industry before you take part in ruining another franchise. Please.

But, what do you think?

hobodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No please.
Isn't someone else making a different one? One that has the original VO? I was looking into that a few days ago.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobodude: This one?? This does look like a actual game..which is more then I can say for this mobile piece of crap.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

a single minion is 800 gems and it cost 5 bucks for 500 gems..... jesus christ that's out of balance. You know, at some point these games should be analogy for 80s and 90s Arcades, but even the value of 25 cents brought up by inflation doesn't really look like this.

hobodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! War for the Overworld actually looks pretty promising. That would make an interesting Unfinished.

If I remember correctly, it also takes you 24 hours to mine a single block in the new Dungeon Keeper. Or you could just pay them of course...

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: At least there 50cents gets you possibly the whole game. I mean, I got through nearly the whole game on dozens of light gun games, like Die Hard, Jurassic Park. And I had more fun playing those games then I did pretty much any IAP filled Free 2 play.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea they were making another one, the title of this thread followed by the reveal of what type of game it is was like meeting a really cute girl but when she approaches you she stabs you in your junk.

The kickstarter link that actually looks (is?) like an official sequel is great though! That's like being on the ride to the hospital due to your messed up junk and the cute paramedic chick is totally into all of the bands you're into and even touched your shoulder and everything!

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce:I don't think its a official sequel. As far I know. But I have been wrong before. Also, sorry about your junk.

Also this is what I thought of when you said bands. Fuck bands, they sold out years ago..

SgtSphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#8 SgtSphynx  Moderator

What. The. Fuck. Seriously EA? Fucking serious?

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I downloaded this game the minute I saw it was posted to the Play store and when I started playing it all I can say is WOW, what a disappointment it is. EA has done it AGAIN and destroyed another great game. I think the guys really need to keep track of all these EA failures as it's getting a little out of hand now.

This game has the makings to be really fun, but let me just buy it outright, and don't milk me for an outrageous sum of money for a remake like this. Whoever came up with the cost for what to charge for the micro-transactions should be instantly fired!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@halomaste19: hmmmm, I think that make us think we are a different audience for these types of games. Because the games your referring to are reaction and quick reflex games and those evolved into the more modern shooters.... It's like this game is more designed for a board game sensiblity with a bit of paying to win. Because how many gems can you get without paying? Or how long would it take?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AMyggen

Yup, that's a F2P game alright. You can do a F2P game the right way (I like Dota 2's approach), or the wrong way. This is the latter. EA is gonna EA I guess.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Halomaste19

@crithon:I've been playing for about 2 days now, and it seems like you get 3-6 gems when completeing a challenge, or sometimes when you break a block. (Heavy blocks get you more gems, not much) So it takes a while to get any real amount of gems. Also forgot to show that some traps take 1,000,000 rocks, and can take up to 2 hours or more to place. (Or 49 gems) Its disgusting..

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Halomaste19

@amyggen:I think we need a new name for these types of games. DOTA2 and LOL are actually free to play, I have never given them a penny, and yet have played hours. ( I suck though)

But these...things are not the same, so maybe we need a new name. It seems wrong to lump them all together, even if we point out some are good and not evil.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cptbedlam: yeah, I think the worst part of these games is how they are slowly invading more core games- but worse still is that as he says, younger gamers are being taught to expect this. That this is normal. That games SHOULD have tons of IAPs and paywalls. I hate to be some crazy doom and gloom person, but it worries me about the future of games. Look at all the microtransactions in Forza and other Xbox One launch games...

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AMyggen

@halomaste19: Yeah, when a game begins to slow down the gameplay to get you to buy shit you're in another category than DOTA 2, really.

edit: When you look at the rating the DK game has in the app store you begin to wonder if the fight against these kinds of microtransactions isn't already lost. At least on mobile.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

Hoooooly shit, this is atrocious on so many levels.

By the way if you have not played the originals you are seriously missing out, pick up Dungeon Keeper 2 asap. It still holds up gameplay wise, if you get used to the old graphics. I've personally never played it properly way back when it came out, so I had no nostalgia goggles going in a couple of years ago and still had a great time. There is a reason people kept pining for a sequel all those years and why we've recently had so many shitty knock offs pop up.

Bullfrog did some amazing games back in the day that people still revere, Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate chief among them, too bad EA killed that studio, just like they killed Westwood.

They tried to make C&C into a free to play atrocity too, but the response was so negative they actually shut down the studio charged with making it and closed the project, like within a month after they had a booth for that game at Gamescom hilariously.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@halomaste19: well that's the whole Pay to Win model. Like buffs and timers and cool downs can change if you drop money into it. Dota2 is smart in that whole costume designs which don't ruin the competitive aspect..... But how long would it take to earn gems to get a minion?

SgtSphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SgtSphynx  Moderator

@amyggen:I think we need a new name for these types of games. DOTA2 and LOL are actually free to play, I have never given them a penny, and yet have played hours. ( I suck though)

But these...things are not the same, so maybe we need a new name. It seems wrong to lump them all together, even if we point out some are good and not evil.

I believe that was why people started using "freemium"

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx: That's a pretty terrible term though, and you have to get it explained to you to understand the meaning. But Yeah, it's a start I Guess.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Halomaste19

@crithon: I have probably put about 10 hours or so into the game and have earned about 40-55 gems..and spent ALL the starting 500 or so gems they give you..

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@halomaste19: that's such a messed up system. I'd loose interest of the game by maybe my 3rd try

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Peter Molyneux must be rolling over in his grave.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Halomaste19

@hanktherapper:Well, after playing around with Godus and seeing videos of that...I think Peter could care less. He's into free-to-play/ville type games too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aOjycc0YTI

SgtSphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SgtSphynx  Moderator

@halomaste19: @amyggen: Freemium is definitely a terrible fucking term, but it accurately portrays the model these games are taking in a concise form.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rattle618

I would feel a lot worse about this if that kickstarted game wasnt already in the works, I didnt even know EA had done this.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By aceofspudz

I think 2014 will see people sour on 'early access', but free to play will continue to get worse and more abusive.

However, eventually the legitimate video game industry will cast the genre out like lepers and they'll be ignored by everyone who actually cares about the medium. Hopefully. But they'll continue to make bank off fools.

Edit: holy fucktwig. I just watched the Nerd^3 video of the new one and I was so revolted I went over to Bay 12 and paid $20.00 for my free copy of dwarf fortress.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would feel better about the game if it wasn't constantly reminding you of its barriers. The entire tutorial felt less like I was familiarizing myself with mechanics and more with a cage.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@crithon said:

You know, at some point these games should be analogy for 80s and 90s Arcades, but even the value of 25 cents brought up by inflation doesn't really look like this.

Also, the big difference is that even into the mid 90s, many arcade games were graphically superior to what you may have had at home. So that $0.25 a pop charge was actually paying for a unique experience. This kind of shit can't really be an analogy for that because, being mobile games, these are all worse in almost every way to a potential not F2P game on an actual computer or whatever.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@crithon said:

You know, at some point these games should be analogy for 80s and 90s Arcades, but even the value of 25 cents brought up by inflation doesn't really look like this.

Also, the big difference is that even into the mid 90s, many arcade games were graphically superior to what you may have had at home. So that $0.25 a pop charge was actually paying for a unique experience. This kind of shit can't really be an analogy for that because, being mobile games, these are all worse in almost every way to a potential not F2P game on an actual computer or whatever.

Yeah, I'm not trying to make that analogy, but some have tried and I can kinda see that. Although at times I often wonder how many times I spent on Street Fighter 2, in over 20 years of pumping quarters into it. I think they are trying to appeal to another audience because of a lot of arcade games have evolved into current games.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really hate F2P games. I watched that QL with Jeff and Vinny for Quest for Epic Loot or whatever, and it looked really cool but I could already see how that was going to piss me off. It's not like I don't want to pay for a game providing me with entertainment, I do, just not in that way. I'd rather pay $10 or $15 and just be able to play it how I want without a bunch of ridiculous time gates and crystals for this and spacebucks for that.