let's pretend...

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Thrawn1

that AI technology becomes so sophisticated that an entire human brain can be perfectly mapped out. (you know, with virtual neural pathways and the like.) this would mean that if you fed the brain sensory information, it would react 100% exactly the same way a human brain would. it would work so well, that if you were chatting with it on the internet, you would instinctively think it was a human. it would have virtual feelings.

so if this was created, would you feel comfortable thinking of it as an actual person?

if it was used in video games on npcs, would you approach the game differently?

Would you feel comfortable killing an enemy if you knew if was controlled by a fully functional brain, and that it was actually experiencing pain?

lets pretend that the characters the half life series are controlled by  virtual human brains. does this change the game in any way? (SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!) would it make eli's death something worth crying over? how would it affect your "relationship" with alyx if she was (virtually) a real person?

i know this is all speculation, keep that in mind.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cube

Sex would be funny.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demilich
Cube said:
"Sex would be easy."
Fix't. Also awesome.
jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jlaudio7
Thrawn said:

lets pretend that the character in half life 2 are controlled by  virtual human brains. does this change the game in any way? (SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!) would it make eli's death something worth crying over? how would it affect your "relationship" with alyx if she was (virtually) a real person?

i know this is all speculation, keep that in mind.
"
fixed for ACCURACY. 
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By suneku

Interesting concept, I think it'd be awesome if NPCs were able to think on their own. But no, I wouldn't really change the way I approach a game, or have second thoughts killing an AI.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

if the AI felt pain id make sure to shoot them in the head .....No pain then 

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Metasin

If they were truly intelligent and felt pain and actually died you would think they probably wouldn't be so quick to fight the guy who kept coming back to life after they killed him or completely healed himself every time he ducked behind a wall for a few seconds. Also most video game villain motivations are pretty weak, a good percentage of the enemies would just choose to live normal lives and not fight at all.

I also think that once something becomes sentient, intelligent, and capable of reason and emotion, physical body or no, you are murdering something. It's basically like saying that if you were playing an online fps that everything that happened to the avatar the player would experience in real life, including pain and death. So no, I would never want that level of intelligence in a game.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Termite

Of course not, what you described is a sentient being, how could I kill something that can actually feel pain?

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By atejas

THat's pretty hard....
then again, they would be artificially created for the sole purpose of presenting a challenge and dying, so.....

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Metasin
atejas said:
"THat's pretty hard....
then again, they would be artificially created for the sole purpose of presenting a challenge and dying, so....."
so if we made test tube babies for fight-to-the-death gladiator combat...
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Vaxadrin

Man, there would have to be some pretty immoral people at Valve to create a sentient being for the purpose of killing them. D:

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giantkitty

Once they had feelings and thought, it would at least be unethical to kill them, though I wouldn't call it a person, but some new term.

They would behave differently than regular computer AI, so I'd treat them differently, strategy wise

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Rowr

A massive new can of ethics to work through.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By OGCartman

Id have more fun killing =D
Take that u fucking imp *it starts talking* *stfu noob*

But yah its an interesting idea

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Shawn
ZombieHunter said:
"if the AI felt pain id make sure to shoot them in the head .....No pain then "
That's not suggestive >_>
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thrawn1
Metasin said:
"If they were truly intelligent and felt pain and actually died you would think they probably wouldn't be so quick to fight the guy who kept coming back to life after they killed him or completely healed himself every time he ducked behind a wall for a few seconds. Also most video game villain motivations are pretty weak, a good percentage of the enemies would just choose to live normal lives and not fight at all.

I also think that once something becomes sentient, intelligent, and capable of reason and emotion, physical body or no, you are murdering something. It's basically like saying that if you were playing an online fps that everything that happened to the avatar the player would experience in real life, including pain and death. So no, I would never want that level of intelligence in a game."
i think that the npcs actually would be motivated to fight. i mean, wars do exist, and people really do go to war knowing the risk.  i think the game could have some kind of memory erasing component to use on the npcs minds every time you lost.

i admit, it would be hard to program the game, because you wouldn't have complete control over the characters' actions. But you could do something where you gave them a "programmed personality" and you might be able to predict their actions well enough to get them to shoot at the player. but for games that rely on storytelling, like half life games, you'd probably  be forced to overide their "brains" long enough to get them to carry out a scripted action, such as delivering a line.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vaxadrin

I don't like your fantasy world filled with games that make me a murderer. D:

Zorn20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zorn20
I'll enjoy it i mean come on hitting something that can think and feel pain with no consiquences "Begins to imagine shooting the NPC with a shotgun in the kneecaps as it cries and begs for mercy which i will not give it"
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

John Searle created a pretty extensive thought experiment that proved advanced AI, like the one you've described in this post, is impossible.

Edit: Totally didn't mean to write "proved," rather I meant "strongly, strongly suggested."

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Thrawn1

here's another interesting thing to think about.....would you feel comfortable calling an npc your "friend?" would you actually become emotionally attached to any of the characters?

Zorn20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zorn20
Thrawn said:
"here's another interesting thing to think about.....would you feel comfortable calling an npc your "friend?" would you actually become emotionally attached to any of the characters?"
Even without advanced AI for Npcs i usually regret leaving them behind but don't anymore especially in KOTOR.
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thrawn1
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"John Searle created a pretty extensive thought experiment that proved advanced AI, like the one you've described in this post, is impossible."
Thrawn said:
I know this is all speculation, keep that in mind."
and i know what you're talking about. the way he argues against a "virtual brain" is based on the idea that computers will only be simulating human thought processes, and not actually producing any thoughts of their own.

i personaly think that if you replicated every neuron, every neural pathway, (etc..), you could create a virtual brain that wasn't  dependent on external programming.

that's not really anything that anyone can know, at least for now.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vaxadrin
Zorn20 said:
"Thrawn said:
"here's another interesting thing to think about.....would you feel comfortable calling an npc your "friend?" would you actually become emotionally attached to any of the characters?"
Even without advanced AI for Npcs i usually regret leaving them behind but don't anymore especially in KOTOR."
In Half Life 2 I would purposefully direct the NPC's into enemy fire, turrets, or bombs just to kill them off because they annoyed me so much.
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thrawn1
Vaxadrin said:
"Zorn20 said:
"Thrawn said:
Even without advanced AI for Npcs i usually regret leaving them behind but don't anymore especially in KOTOR."
In Half Life 2 I would purposefully direct the NPC's into enemy fire, turrets, or bombs just to kill them off because they annoyed me so much."
really? i thought they did a pretty good job of being useful while mostly staying out of your way.
xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xxNBxx
suneku said:
"Interesting concept, I think it'd be awesome if NPCs were able to think on their own. But no, I wouldn't really change the way I approach a game, or have second thoughts killing an AI."

I bet Niko would be huntted down and killed cause he would have a whole city after his ass.  lol
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaxadrin
Thrawn said:
"really? i thought they did a pretty good job of being useful while mostly staying out of your way."
You're kidding, right?  Every time I play those two chapters I spend several hours shouting at them to get out of the fucking way.  They wait until you go for that revolver ammo then 12 of them climb into the storage closet with you.

"Sorry, Dr. Freeman."
xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xxNBxx
Vaxadrin said:
"Thrawn said:
"really? i thought they did a pretty good job of being useful while mostly staying out of your way."
You're kidding, right?  Every time I play those two chapters I spend several hours shouting at them to get out of the fucking way.  They wait until you go for that revolver ammo then 12 of them climb into the storage closet with you.

"Sorry, Dr. Freeman.""
you know you can tell them to go stand somewhere right?
whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By whyzenheimer
Thrawn said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
"John Searle created a pretty extensive thought experiment that proved advanced AI, like the one you've described in this post, is impossible."
Thrawn said:
and i know what you're talking about. the way he argues against a "virtual brain" is based on the idea that computers will only be simulating human thought processes, and not actually producing any thoughts of their own.

i personaly think that if you replicated every neuron, every neural pathway, (etc..), you could create a virtual brain that wasn't  dependent on external programming.

that's not really anything that anyone can know, at least for now."

My roommate loves this argument, and I am so tired of it.  Programs can not exceed their programming.  That, currently, is fact.  There is no conceivable way to create something technological that understands anything that it is not instructed to understand.  This "virtual brain" of yours would do absolutely nothing without a programmed will, and the only semblance of choice it could be given would be a combination of random number generators and logic branches.  Anyone who has ever programmed anything knows how you create the illusion of choice in code.  There is no such thing as a computer, or virtual machine in this case, that will do anything it is not specifically instructed to do.  This is fact, as far as we know now, and it is also my opinion.

Don't mean to come off as rude or all-knowing or anything, sorry if I did :)
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Thrawn1
MisoRonery said:
"Thrawn said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
Thrawn said:

that's not really anything that anyone can know, at least for now."

My roommate loves this argument, and I am so tired of it.  Programs can not exceed their programming.  That, currently, is fact.  There is no conceivable way to create something technological that understands anything that it is not instructed to understand.  This "virtual brain" of yours would do absolutely nothing without a programmed will, and the only semblance of choice it could be given would be a combination of random number generators and logic branches.  Anyone who has ever programmed anything knows how you create the illusion of choice in code.  There is no such thing as a computer, or virtual machine in this case, that will do anything it is not specifically instructed to do.  This is fact, as far as we know now, and it is also my opinion.

Don't mean to come off as rude or all-knowing or anything, sorry if I did :)"

once again.....

Thrawn said:
i know this is all speculation, keep that in mind."

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By SSbabel

I wouldn't give a shit killing an AI enemy on a game, its a fucken video game.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vaxadrin
xxNBxx said:
you know you can tell them to go stand somewhere right?
...and I do.  Right in front of the mobile turrets & next to the hoppers. :P