Like many folks, today's news hit me really hard. GB's been a part of my life for a long time, and whatever it may become after the departure of Vinny, Brad, and Alex, it will never be quite the same. Nothing ever is, I suppose. I suspect I'll be grieving for a while.
But one way of grieving as the site goes through this major change is to re-watch some of our favorite old content. We can't change the departures, but there's still years' worth of content to enjoy. So I wanted to start this thread as a place for people to share their favorite videos, and hopefully we can all benefit from discovering "new" stuff we'd missed, or remembering something we'd forgotten.
I'll start with my own list of the great videos/series that immediately spring to my mind. I'm sure I'll forgetting lots of stuff, but it's a start:
- Mario Party Party 5 is perhaps the most magical video they ever made. The fact that it was a live audience was a huge thing, but they also couldn't have had a crazier result if they had scripted it. It's four hours of everything that was great about Giant Bomb. The rest of the "Mario Party Party" videos were fun, too, but 5 is on another level.
- The original 2016 Hitsmas is probably my second-favorite video of all time, with Vinny's epic run. And in fact, most of GB's Hitman video content was pretty fuckin' great, and of course they ended up making just a ridiculous number of videos covering it as a result of the way the game was released a level at a time.
- Metal Gear Scanlon was incredible, it's peak Drew and Dan. And the fact that they played through all five games plus Revengeance led to just a ridiculous amount of content in terms of sheer hours. I'm not even sure how long it is. Probably at least a hundred hours, right?
- Breaking Brad was always fun. The four Volgarr videos were peak for me, but I also enjoyed the Demon's Souls and Bloodborne stuff, and the recent Mario 2 series.
- Then there's the legendary Persona 4 endurance run, which went for 154 videos and 100 hours. I never ended up playing the whole game through myself, I think I played for about 20 hours but never liked it as much as Persona 3 (which I loved to death and played multiple times). But having watched this series, it feels almost like I played P4 myself.
- The Until Dawn playthrough was great fun. It's just a game that lends itself to watching, I think.
- The complete playthrough they ended up doing of Contradiction! Spot the Liar was absolutely delightful. Go FMV games.
- Watching them construct terrible Mario Maker levels was fun.
- Vinny's Load Your Last Souls, in which he picked up from his existing Dark Souls save and ended up finishing the game, was great fun.
- GB's E3 coverage was usually quite entertaining, both the talking-over-press-conferences and all the guests on the couch.
I think I'll start by rewatching the Until Dawn playdate, myself. But I'd love to see other people's suggestions for their favorite content.