Locking Article Discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I noticed they locked comments on the latest Bombcast. Is this going to be a regular thing now when people are acting dumb and making stupid comments on articles/videos/podcasts?

It seems kinda weird that they would lock it after taking off for the day. I mainly wonder because of Jeff's recent article/letter talking about changing the way things are run and I suppose stopping all discussion is a valid way of preventing toxic things from being posted. I hope this isn't a regular thing and locking comments seems very extreme, especially considering I can comment on any bombcast ever besides the latest now.

Also, this weeks podcast was good, once they got past the boring tell us how awesome you are part of having a guest.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Clonedzero

Yeah, it's a pretty shitty situation. People being assholes sucks, but having to lockshit down and moderate every mildly offensive thing is also clearly not the best way to do it. It's lose-lose for everyone really. Plus they seemed to have added a timer to self delete comments, which just seems counterproductive?

I'm just curious why this is such a big thing now, was it always like this and i just didnt notice?

Watch this get locked lol

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

@clonedzero said:

I'm just curious why this is such a big thing now, was it always like this and i just didnt notice?

Long story short: things reached a head with the new hires. Sort of related to who they are, but also not really?

By the way, what the hell happened on this week's podcast that it had to be locked down?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz

@clonedzero: What do you mean a timer to self delete comments? (edit: Never mind, I see it!)

@video_game_king: I haven't been reading the forums/comments as much lately, life has been busy, but has it gotten that much worse? It doesn't really seem any worse, there are still the ass hats on controversial stuff, but it's not really much different.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: They had Samantha Kalman on, creator of Sentris (which looks pretty great). People jumped to conclusions on both sides like happens so many times. I haven't listened to the bombcast yet but Samantha is pretty funny and seems like she'd be a good pick for a guest.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

Long story short: things reached a head with the new hires. Sort of related to who they are, but also not really?

By the way, what the hell happened on this week's podcast that it had to be locked down?

Uh, i dont really know. I caught wind of it from Alex's tweet, i think they talked about GaymerX(2)? (I dunno if the 2 is supposed to be there) that nifty little lbgt gaming convention thing and people freaked out?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It seems like extreme measures for an extreme problem.

And a recent thread that brought pretty much this same subject was locked down, too.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus they seemed to have added a timer to self delete comments, which just seems counterproductive?

From what Rorie said in another thread it was an added feature over on gamestop and it got added here as well, they are looking into how they will change it moving forward.

BeyondStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While it be the pinnacle of irony when this thread is locked too in five minutes?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By rorie

If you have issues with a thread being locked, bring it up with the moderators via PM. We don't discuss moderation actions publicly.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@skytylz: And, for what it's worth, the implication that the mod team has taken off for the day is very much mistaken.