Looking for a place to start with SRPGs

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

After hearing Patrick talk about Fire Emblem lately has piqued my interest in SRPGs I just have no idea where to start. My only experience with those games comes from playing some of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Zone of the Enders on the GBA but I was 9 at the time so I never got very far in them. I don't need what I play to be super easy or simple I just don't want something that is insanely difficult. I noticed that Disgaea and La Pucelle Tactics are both on PSN and was thinking about trying one of those since they are only 10$. Also my choice of platform is limited to PS3, PC and IOS.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Fire Emblem.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fire Emblem is great but it's not on your listed platforms. Disgaea 4 is a good game but can be REALLY intimidating to newcomers. I heard good things about Rainbow Moon on PSN but is check it out more first before buying it

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By gla55jAw

I would say, wait on Disgaea. It may turn you off. I would say definitely pick up Final Fantasy Tactics. It is on sale right now on PSN for $4.99! Valkyria Chronicles! XCOM: Enemy Unknown and possibly Rainbow Moon.

I haven't played XCom yet. I've played some Valkyria Chronices and loved what I played (I need to go back). I also played about a week of Rainbow Moon. It is good, it's just VERY grindy. The same goes for Disgaea games. They are very grindy (You can level up to level 999) and might turn you off if you're not ready. If you do want to check them out, Disgaea 4 seems to be the best bet and 3 following that.

More PS1 classics - Saiyuki: Journey West and Front Mission 3. Both are $5.99. I remember playing the Front Mission demo years ago and loving it, but I haven't played either full game. They may or may not hold up.

Also, FTL: Faster Than Light. I love that game. It's not quite the same as the others, but I couldn't not mention it.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Really enjoying Fire Emblem right now, so that gets my vote.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Valkyria Chronicles, Shining Force. Any of those is a good place to start.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Fire Emblem is great but it's not on your listed platforms. Disgaea 4 is a good game but can be REALLY intimidating to newcomers. I heard good things about Rainbow Moon on PSN but is check it out more first before buying it

Do the Disgaea games have a continuous plot? If they do I would be hesitant to start with the fourth one.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

@darkshaper: i think there are reoccurring characters and references to past games, but apart from that i don't think there's any sort of continuous plot. although i'm saying that as someone to jumped into the series at Disgaea 3 and had no troubles whatsoever following the story.

Disgaea D2 is the first 'true' sequel to a Disgaea game, i guess since it continues the story of the first Disgaea

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Ravelle

Every Disagaea except D2 has its own story and characters, where you start off is up to you. :)

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god!!! I can't believe I forgot Valkyria Chronicles! Play that now. It's freakin' amazing