Looking for an Opinion: Which one should I buy based on the info below?

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

Poll Looking for an Opinion: Which one should I buy based on the info below? (104 votes)

PS4 Pro 24%
Geforce 1070 60%
Wait for Xbox Scorpio 16%

Info on me:
I’m in my 30s, work full time, married and have 2 kids
Don’t have a ton of time to play (maybe 4-8 hours a week)

I currently have a Xbox One and family share with my brother, we have several games between backwards compatibility, games with gold and purchases. I prefer to play multiplayer on xbox over any system since I first owned a 360, mainly because of xbox live, the even playing field with a controller and everyone having the same specs.

I also have a dated (2012-2013) gaming PC that I used to play most of my single games on because of the ability to buy games at a much lower cost. I can still play most games on medium to high settings (40-60fps) at 1080p.

PC Specs:
Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz
16GB DDR3
Geforce 670 2GB

I have yet to get a PlayStation 4. I really enjoyed the Uncharted and The Last of Us series on PS3. Without those, I could have easily passed on buying a PS3. The PS4 potentially has a bunch of exclusives that I might be into.

Alienation
Crash Bandicoot Remastered
Days Gone
God of War
Horizon Dawn Zero
Spider-Man
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us Remastered
The inevitable TLOU sequel
Death Stranding (console exclusive)
Shenmue III (console exclusive)
Final Fantasy VII (timed exclusive)

I really enjoy pc graphics. The ps4 pro is getting close to pc graphics at 1080p according to the many articles that I’ve read. The Scorpio is over a year away but I’m not sure how many of those ps4 exclusives will be out before then. What do you think?

• 
fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The graphics card in your PC is probably the bottleneck, throw in a 1070 and it's basically a new machine. You have plenty of RAM, memory speed doesn't seem to be a huge issue, and Intel's CPU improvements in the last few generations...have been there from what I've been able to discern (I'm planning a build), but not all that significant, and games are more often bottlenecked by the video card anyway. Depending on your motherboard and cooling and a few other things you might be able to consider overclocking if it's an issue, but it probably isn't. It seems hard to say this far in advance whether that'll make your PC a more capable machine than the Scorpio (I'm not going to bother comparing GPU FLOPS or whatever, they're different systems in fundamental ways), but fwiw it seems like Microsoft's answer to the PC crowd is "sure, have all our games on PC, you shouldn't need to buy our plug'n'play mass market box when you have a powerful rig already." To top it off, you get Gears 4 for free if you buy a 1070 by the end of October, right?

That said, Gears and Halo are likely to be segregated in competitive multiplayer, because kb/m vs controller. If you really want your Xbox Live multiplayer time to be pretty, then Scorpio is probably the way to go, but that seems excessive to me since your regular Xbox One should handle that just fine. But you know you. On the other hand, KI and Forza are fully crossplay, and they're where it's really at, right? ;)

That's a shitload of PS4 games. I think Days Gone being on there is probably a data entry error on your part, but otherwise I think you know best how to parse that list. TLOU sequel and Death Stranding are years and years off, surely. I'd consider getting one of the original PS4's because they look better and they're hopefully priced to clear now. Or see a bunch of comparison footage between the Pro and PC, since maybe the Pro will give you a comparable amount of prettiness on maybe more games (multiplats and PS4 exclusives) than the 1070 will.

Personally I place access to games waaaaaaay above pretty graphics, so in your position I think I might opt for a PS4 and get the most game coverage possible. I'd personally be looking to get a cheap old model PS4 and the 1070 if the budget allows, though, or the 1070 now and forestall the PS4 until Horizon or whatever game really sells the system for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: What do you mean with Days Gone? It's not a PS4 exclusive?

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By matatat

I'm starting to feel like Xbox is becoming less and less relevant considering things like the fact I can get Gears on Win 10 now. PS4 has a lot more interesting exclusives. You've listed a lot, and then you're missing some like Bloodborne, and Persona 5 (coming soon). Even though I have a very capable PC I still enjoy playing games on PS4 and Xbox One on occasion. In fact I have an Alienware X51 that I keep just hooked up to my TV. But on occasion I like the immediate pick up and play nature of the consoles still in some aspects. Press the controller button and it's immediately waking up and ready to go. And things just work. I still have trouble with drivers fucking up with the OFFICIAL XBOX ONE DONGLE and the Elite controller. Even the Xbox has forgotten my controllers before. Windows 10 is fast, but my PCs often have other software on it and has to load up all the drivers, etc. The console OS's are just designed to be super lightweight and pop open.

You could argue this is no longer the case for Xbox. And I work with quite a few people who worked on the Xbox and 360 who gripe about slow the One is.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

If you have an Xbox, get a PS4 for the exclusives.

If you're way into graphics, upgrade the PC. But most console versions of multiplatform games run perfectly fine if your PC can't handle the latest and greatest.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't see much reason to buy either of these new consoles if you already own them, so I recommend picking up the ps4 pro and play some Uncharted 4 and any other exclusives you might be interested in. My PC is also showing its age, but it plays small scale games and World of Warcraft fine, the big AAA games are usually fine on either console.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Microsoft has already answered the Scorpio question for you. All Microsoft games moving forward are also coming to PC. In fact you get get Gears 4 for free if you get the GTX 1070. As far as the PS4 pro, if you have a PS4 I would say its not worth it. Sony has all but said this is for a very specific use case and if you're outside of that the Pro is probably a waste of money.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like you should wait for more info on the scorpio.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Maybe it's my not-having-a-PC talking, but I say go with that. The situation you're in right now in terms of how much time you are (or might be) able to devote to games says to me that you should try to go for the greatest amount of enjoyment possible and the PC casts the widest net. Of course, if it were me in this scenario, I'd go PS4 but that's because I REALLY want to know what Death Stranding/Shenmue are and what FFVII ends up looking like. If you're the same, I'd change to PS4.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fnrslvr

@beardandcompany: It just seems really, really pointless. Like they've made absolutely no case for it at all, it's just another goddamn tragic zombie survival game with no appreciable hook. I don't understand how anybody could be interested in it at all.

I don't know, maybe it'll be a good game, it could just be a marketing failure. They really need to come up with a better pitch for it, though.

@matatat: I don't get why people say those kinds of things with such melancholy. Your PC is now also an Xbox, or at least that is the intended thing they are moving towards. That shouldn't make you feel sad about the piece of dedicated hardware that Microsoft sells that has an Xbox logo stamped on it. It's weird, it's as though people would be happier if the PC option was taken away from them and they were forced to go to the Xbox console for these games.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think the ps4pro will be doing anything with the frame rate so unless you have 4k hdr may not be much a point (i could be wrong). Instead you could get a og ps4 probably cheap when the pro drops. And this is only if you want the exclusives. You could also go with a 1060 instead of a 1070 and get an og ps4 as well for about the price of a pro? You could probably trade in a xone for the scorpio when that releases and get it cheaper as well.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Giant_Gamer

If you have no reason to upgrade such as a great PC game you really want to play. Then, go with the PS4 Pro since it is always better to wait for the PC instead of rushing an upgrade that you don't really need.

Also with the PS4 you'll maintain the even playing field in multiplayer games unlike the PC which has gotten out of control in the late years.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WynnDuffy

If you update your PC to a 1070 it is going to run circles around the PS4 Pro, your CPU is plenty fast.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@s0mewh4td4m4ged If you have limited time and enjoy some casual gaming with your family then it really does sound like you're much better off just getting the Scorpio down the road rather than upgrading your PC. Especially if you prefer multiplayer on a console over the PC. If you said that you would be playing a ton of weird indie stuff by yourself as well as dedicating a ton of gaming to triple A releases each week then I'd say hey man go for the PC it's a great investment. But since you'll be playing stuff like Titanfall or Battlefield and enjoying the roster of backwards compatible software then a Scorpio sounds pretty good. The benefit of getting a scorpio is that down the line you can still upgrade your PC and the prices will have dropped a tiny bit (although graphic cards notoriously don't drop in price all that much) and new processor architecture will be out so you'll be able to dedicate a little more money to a ground up overhaul rather than leapfrogging aging parts piece by piece.

I don't really see any point in getting a PS4 Pro unless you're really dying to play those few good exclusives (although "few" is a highly subjective rating on my behalf, you might enjoy a lot more from the list than I did)

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mmm, I'd say based on your situation I'm 80% leaning towards PC upgrade and 20% to PS4 pro.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy a 1060 instead and spend the rest on a nice gift for your wife!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By clagnaught

I'm leaning more towards buying a 1070. The PS4 is a fine system, but I think you will most likely get more mileage out of a 1070, especially since you already have an Xbox One.

I wouldn't wait for Scorpio, mainly because you don't know what Microsoft's end goal for that will be. It sounds significantly more powerful than the current consoles and if they truly want to achieve native 4K resolution graphics, then they will need to throw a lot of power behind it. The philosophy behind consoles has been make it (relatively) cheap, but maybe they are more concerned with doubling down on PC gaming and going after Valve. For all we know, this could cost $1,000 or have tiers with a base $600 model, a medium $900 model, and a high end $1,200 model. Whether its super expensive or miraculously cheap, we won't know either way until E3 2017 at the earliest. So if you want something now-ish, I would get a PS4 Pro or a 1070.

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies, opinions, and votes.

@mambogator: That's exactly me. I have played every pc game that I've purchased in the last 2-3 years with a controller because I mainly play single player on PC. I have my pc connected to both my monitor and tv in the living room. If I can't sit back and relax, I would rather not play.

60% of you so far say to buy a 1070. My fear is having to upgrade my mobo, cpu, and memory in another year because they all go hand in hand. Minimum system requirements for games keep going up. Battlefield 1 (i5-6600K), Gears 4 (i5-3470), and Forza Horizon 3 (i5-3570).

When I first purchased my 670 it was the same way. I had a Core 2 Q6600, 4GB DDR2, and a Geforce 8800GTX. I spent around $300 on the 670 and a year later had to spend around $400 on the mobo, memory, and cpu. I may get more time out of my current setup if I buy a 1070 but the upgrade is inevitable. The hope is to get the best bang for buck. Outside of buying games, If I buy a PS4 Pro for $400 and a Xbox Scorpio for $400-500 (if it's any higher they will continue to get slaughtered by Sony) that's $900 vs buying a 1070 for $400-$450 and having to upgrade other pc parts in a year or so.

Gaming is expensive.
PC: more expensive hardware, cheaper software
Console: less expensive hardware, more expensive software but the ability to share games

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@s0mewh4td4m4ged: I mean, if you're worried about the upgrade cycle of the PC, it looks to me like the console manufactures are moving to a 2 year cycle, so you're going to spend a few hundred dollars every few years to stay current anyway. (That is obviously speculation and my personal opinion, so take that with a grain of salt).

I'd say go with the 1070. If you want to keep up with PC gaming (and it sounds like you do), you're going to upgrade soon anyway. I would personally rather upgrade gradually over time rather than buy a whole new PC all at once.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: Wow...you can't see ANYONE being interested in this? It doesn't look bad. Sometimes I want a game to just mow down hordes of zombies or something to pass the time. I'm sick of gathering items to craft and drinking water for survival games. I wouldn't mind a Dead Rising-esque game that doesn't involve the kiddy BS that surrounds it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'd say it depends on how often you can make this sort of purchase? If you can do a buy like this once a year, I'd go for the PS4. It's the only library you don't have unfettered access to yet.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It all depends on how many PS4 exclusives you want to play. For people like you exclusives are all that matter. Do you really want to play those PS4 games? Buy the PS4. If not, buy the GTX1070.

Word of warning though: The GTX1070 is overkill for 1080p so unless you plan on upgrading your monitor you might not need to spend that much money.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@s0mewh4td4m4ged: yah the component bottleneck you might start facing shortly after getting that video card is why I advised to go with a console.