Looking for games/areas with strong in-world ambient audio

dreadnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looking for games where you can turn off the music, ideally park your character, and just kinna listen. All nice and diagetic and outside of battles or mechanics.

You're at your farm and the chickens are clucking, the cows are moving, and there's a slight breeze.

Or an mmo where you're on a dock next to the ocean, and you can hear the waves, some enemy grunting over there, and the clomp clomp clomp as another player runs by on the wood.

Or the beginning of Kentucky Route Zero at the gas station, which is pretty sparse but every once in a while a car or bus goes by in the background and there's a whole vibe.

I tried a Google but it's all Minecraft and Zelda villages. I think it's thing that sorta tends to get overlooked and I want an excuse to notice it.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By AV_Gamer

Genshin Impact has lot of areas that have good sound effects, you can turn the music off and listen to. But the music itself is very pleasant, calming, and rarely intrusive unless a battle is going on. It also doesn't last, only playing for about 30 to 60 seconds before it turns off, highlighting those sound effects.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cikame

Trying to think and i realise now i don't really stop and smell the roses in games, first things i think of are Majula in Dark Souls 2, the coastal home/hub area where you can breathe and relax, and anywhere in Oblivion, that was probably my first experience slowly walking through the woods in a video game so my memory of it is probably more impressive than it actually is :P.

I asked my friend and he said "Stalker if you don't want to relax".

dreadnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: Yeah, I realized most of the time I never stopped to notice either. The area in DS2 with the (laughing) curse pots and the Boar Warriors, near enough to hear the crackling of the bonfire is good too. Actually just a lot of From areas.

I guess I should specify it needn't be relaxing. I just want to notice the audio stuff that is probably meant to be immersive but not stand out.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Breath of the Wild excelled in ambience. Some of my favorite moments were just running around and soaking in the atmosphere.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Red Dead 2 is an obvious banger, particularly the Great Plains or the river/waterfall area below the train bridge up north.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadnation: In that case i'll bring up Stalker again :P.

I only played the 3rd game but a very strong memory i have is of surviving my first emission event, i was carrying way too much stuff slowly waddling my way back to a vendor when the message popped up and the storm began, i dropped my loot as fast as i could and fratically looked for cover, found a big pipe to hide inside and it left an impression (the video isn't me but he also found a pipe).

Loading Video...

I don't know if it counts as "ambience" but you can almost feel the air change before it starts happening, it's so well done and the world feels bruised after it happens.

Oo just thought of another, Riven, as a kid who couldn't do puzzles i watched my older sister play Riven, one time the music combined with being almost completely alone in the game freaked me out and i accidentally kicked the desk really hard, but it also has good old fashioned environment loops.

Loading Video...

Ooo and another, Titanic Adventure out of Time, i know you're after world ambience but the soundtrack makes it one of the most foreboding adventure games i've ever played, don't go to D deck unless you have to.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

The Road 96 waterfall comes to mind.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Desert has a lot of areas with pleasant ambient sounds, but it's probably best not to get sucked into that game.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#10 ZombiePie  Online
This is my pick and it isn't even a contest.
This is my pick and it isn't even a contest.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@zombiepie: This is my answer as well, FF8 freaks unite!

I also love the two Chrono Cross overworld themes; probably give the edge to Another World for sickest violin piece in games.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#12 ZombiePie  Online

I also love the two Chrono Cross overworld themes; probably give the edge to Another World for sickest violin piece in games.

Oh man... don't make me pick between Fields of Time and On the Beach of Dreams/Dream of the Shore, because I cannot pick between the two.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Sometimes I like to just mill about the Sapienza level of Hitman (2016). The cafe and beachfront areas are nice little areas to grab a seat and catch a little bit of a sleepy Italian seaside town.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You can turn off the music in Subnautica and you'll just hear all the different noises the larger fish make, though it might not have enough ambient noise for you. There are definitely some areas of that game that just have a synth making some very quiet noise just so the game isn't completely silent except for your movements disturbing the water or your submarine whirring along.