Looking for new RPG to get addicted to

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By davidh219

Hey GB community! I'm looking for a new single player RPG that's really easy to get addicted to. Preferably an old PC one. Something like Planescape or Baldur's Gate would be ideal, but feel free to suggest anything. Also I would love to hear what games you guys have personally found to be the most addicting. 

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By takua108

Have you tried Fallout and/or Fallout 2? They're super-cheap on Steam, but make sure to patch them with community-created patches so you don't end up like me and lose all your gear and a party member after having sex with a lady because the game is mad buggy, and then never go back and play it again because of such frustration.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ESREVER
Recettear just came out on Steam and is a super addicting game.  
Kind of more of a JRPG/Dungeon-crawler. Still, a lot of fun and crazy addicting.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mylifeforAiur
Morrowind is easily the greatest RPG to date, I highly recommend it^^
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By august
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, if you have already played Planescape and Baldur's Gate, then I assume that you have touched the rest of the Infinity Engine as well. If not, BG2 and Icewind Dale (1 and 2) are excellent choices. Want something a little more hardcore, yet still D&D? Temple of Elemental Evil.  Obviously, the fan-made patch is a must.

Fallout 1 and 2 are pretty decent as well, whatever problems I personally may have with them. If you want to go a little more old school and a little more crazy, I feel the need to recommend the Might and Magic 6 pack because it is available on GOG for $10. The first two are totally unplayable in this day and age, but from 3 onward you have some pretty awesome hack n' slash esque RPGs. Just don't feel bad if you have to use a guide.  And don't listen to anyone who recommends Arcanum. Just don't.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Titan Quest.

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kyelb22

I'd wait until next week for Fallout: New Vegas. If it has anywhere close to the same amount of content as Fallout 3, you can spend dozens of hours on that game.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ESREVER
@JJOR64 said:
" Titan Quest. "
Is it safe to call Titan Quest a RPG? Don't get me wrong, I loved the game and completed it with a Ranger/Hunter class, but there was like... no story/character depth at all.
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By Undeadpool

Something LIKE Baldur's Gate? Dragon Age: Origin. 
Or, if you want the more direct predecessor in the vein of dark fantasy: The Witcher. They just recently released a patch that completely uncensors it. So that's pretty awesome. 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By FreakAche
@mylifeforAiur said:
" Morrowind is easily the greatest RPG to date, I highly recommend it^^ "
This.
davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By davidh219
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far guys! I've played quite a few of the games mentioned, like Morrowind and Titan's Quest. Obviously I know about New Vegas =P But yeah, I was hoping for maybe something a little less well known? So far "The Temple of Elemental Evil" and "Arcanum" are the ones that caught my eye, and I'll definitely be looking into them some more. 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JJOR64
@ESREVER said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" Titan Quest. "
Is it safe to call Titan Quest a RPG? Don't get me wrong, I loved the game and completed it with a Ranger/Hunter class, but there was like... no story/character depth at all. "
I guess that's true.  It was just a suggestion to try to help.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

Medal of Honor 

hahaha

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ignor
@mylifeforAiur said:
" Morrowind is easily the greatest RPG to date, I highly recommend it^^ "
What this man said. And, if you're a hardcore veteran, Wizardry 8.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219: If you're looking for something to get addicted to, you could just skip the games and try meth. 

But in all seriousness, have you played The Witcher?  Great game. 

Or, if you don't own it yet, Minecraft is extremely addicted, a great value, and semi-RPG like. 

Torchlight is a great cRPG reminiscent game.
LOTR_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LOTR_Dan

As a huge fan of Baldur's Gate as well. I really have to recommend Icewind Dale. Just came out on Good Old Games. It's less story and more crawly, which had always scared me away, but having just started playing it I am VERY impressed. 

Wizardry 8 is EXCELLENT, if you can get a hold of it. I bought it when it came out, so I still have my discs, but good luck tracking that down. Of course you could "LEGALLY ACQUIRE" too.  It's an awesome old school sort of "Make your party, crawl through dungeons" sort of game, but interesting stuff with playing factions against each other and stuff like that.

I also really like Freedom Force and it's sequel. It isn't REALLY an RPG, more of a strategy game with RPG elements, but it plays a lot like Baldur's Gate with a small party under your control in real time with pause. And it has an excellent story and design sense, and is just plain fun.

Of course, if you haven't played the other Bioware RPGs, any of those are worth playing.

And on a completely different bent, if you want to play a small RPG with more of an eastern design philosophy, you can't go wrong with the Penny Arcade games. They are HYSTERICAL and a good deal of fun.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By davidh219
@InfamousBIG:  I HAVE played minecraft. A friend of mine bought it. Unfortunately my laptop is pretty lousy and it stutters like a retarded person which makes playing it more trouble than it's worth, and THAT"S the main reason I'm looking more for older PC games, or console games. I have also played Torchlight. Oddly enough that runs fine 0_o Minecraft is just deceptive with its system requirements I guess. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219: Minecraft was stuttering on my six core CPU today. 

Also, if you haven't played the original Neverwinter Nights before, go buy that now.  You can buy the Diamond Edition, which is original game +2 expansions+six seperate adventures+multiplayer for like 2 bucks now. 

That's a whole lot of good game for cheap.  One of my favorite games of all time.  Plus, it should run on a shitty computer.