Looking for recommendations for gym games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supermoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By supermoogle

I'm at a loss on what to play while I work out on the elliptical machine and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. My requirements are:

1) Be for PSP or DS/3DS. iPhone works too but less preferred

2) Not require intricate stylus work or 3D (since there's lots of movement while I'm doing this)

3) Be constantly engaging. This means no long setup times configuring loadouts, long dialog sequences that can't be skipped.

For example, the 3 games I have played to death are:

Advance Wars, PixelJunk Monsters, Ninjatown

Thanks for any help and suggestions in advance.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

You aren't going hard enough if you can play games at the gym.

supermoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By supermoogle

@Kidavenger: Actually, I often get so lost in the game that I work out too hard and get my heartbeat too high (>160bpm) and have to slow myself down. But thanks for not being helpful.

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rm082e

@Kidavenger said:

This. Unless you're pouring sweat and breathing heavy, the elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill, etc. is pointless.

Skip the portable game and use the money and buy a copy of Starting Strength.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Harkat

How the hell do you stay on balance when playing a DS while going fast enough to give meaningful workout?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

@supermoogle said:

heartbeat too high (>160bpm)

That's because you are out of shape, not because you are pushing it. Seriously don't play video games at the gym, it's completely retarded.

If you need something to do, get an ipod and listen to podcasts and/or music.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I would recomend Podcasts. The Ricky Gervais podcasts helped me lose alot of weight. It takes the whole boredom out of working out.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hoossy

wow, some you guys are real dick heads.

I can't think of a game that would work for you like what your describing, I usually watch netflix / listen to podcast while I'm warming up on the treadmill.

Also, there is Zombies, Run! which is a running app/game that just came out for the iphone which sounds pretty great. I can't wait for the android addition.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

Dude, let the guy work out however he wants to work out. maybe hes working out for 4 hours at a time. you dont know.

Vandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Vandal

Turm-based rpgs may be a good choice if you're into them.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedRavN

I suppose something like marvel vs. capcom could be a fun thing to play at the gym. I would think it would be difficult to play something involving like an rpg since there is a lot of distraction. I can definately see a mobile game working while using a stationary bike. I cant really see it useful for anything else.

By the way, 160 is a normal heartbeat for someone in their cardiovascular range. Mine's about that after lets say 2 miles into a run. So that does not really indicate someone is out of shape. Generally for a healthy 20 something, 150-170bpm is cardiovasular and 130-150 is a fat burn.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zombie2011

Why are you on an elliptical?

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By matthias2437

@Kidavenger said:

No this is correct. I am at the gym 5 days a week two hours each time and don't have a break the entire time.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimmi

@matthias2437 said:

@Kidavenger said:

No this is correct. I am at the gym 5 days a week two hours each time and don't have a break the entire time.

Watch out guys, we have a badass over here.

supermoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By supermoogle

@Harkat: Took a couple weeks to get used to but now my balance is pretty good. Not to say there isn't the occasional grasp-on-for-dear-life moments in some workouts.

supermoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By supermoogle

@Vandal: Way into them. I'm actually trying Ogre Tactics right now, but made 1 turn in the first 20 minutes of the game so it may be too slow. Something like Advance Wars would be ideal, do you know of anything like that?

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By gosukiller

I recommend this.

The bombcast works great for travelling/excercising.

CanuckEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 239

#18  Edited By CanuckEh

I've been using the exercise bike and playing most of the recent noteworthy 3DS games to great effect. Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Mutant Mudds, Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, VVVVVV, all fine choices. Doing so has led me to dropping 38 lbs, sooooo...yeah, don't know what these guys are talking about not going at it hard enough.

CanuckEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CanuckEh

@zombie2011 said:

Why are you on an elliptical?

To not fuck up your knees in 5 years after too much treadmill work.

supermoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By supermoogle

@Bourbon_Warrior: Thanks for the suggestion, I do that and it helps. In fact the only reason I'm on here is because I listen to the bombcast.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By mike

Guys, he isn't asking for advice on fitness or for commentary on his workout routine. It's a legitimate question that is actually about games, so please, knock it off.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#22  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I like certain SRPG's or grind-heavy portable games and often play my PSP when I'm using my treadmill. I highly recommend Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS) or the Tactics release on the PSP, though with FFT, these might be a bit dialogue heavy. I could see something like Mario Kart DS/3DS being a good fit. I'll have to try that myself.

CanuckEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CanuckEh

Also, an RPG that has some dialogue but is never not engaging, Chrono Trigger on the DS.

supermoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By supermoogle

@CanuckEh: Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to look into those. Congrats on the weight loss too.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#25  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I should add the portable Disgaea games to my recommendations too - all the dialogue can be skipped, the battles are short, and if you jump into the Item and Chara worlds, you'll have a bunch mindless fun without needing to concentrate too much.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Fighting games would probably be too demanding for the most part so I'd stay away from those, but who knows. Any game with Mario in it, if that's your thing, would probably be pretty good. Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land or whatever, stuff like that are good on the 3DS and as far as I know are generally pretty lacking in stylus stuff.

As for everyone saying that if he can play games he's not going hard enough, he's not climbing rock he's using an elliptical. If I can read a book while I run, he can play a portal game on an elliptical. Exercise takes 0 concentration, until you start to hit your wall. That's why it's so boring. The idea that focusing on something else or holding something in your hands will prevent your body from going through muscle memory is ridiculous.

That being said, a podcast, audio book, or a good high energy album is a good alternative, when you're between games. I know podcasts in particular are great for me because I can so easily get sucked into them. The Penny Arcade DnD podcasts are spectacular for working out: their hilarious, nerdy, and very engaging. Plus their pretty damn long so you can keep going without having to worry about changing up or anything. Great for a long run/march.

supermoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By supermoogle

To anyone who finds this thread the game I've been playing and loving is Disgaea. A great challenge with perfect pacing for what I need since you can pick whether you want to do story mode, pure battle mode, and inventory/leveling management whenever you want. It has the option to get really deep but it is not required to play (as described in the game.) Game is a lot funnier than I thought it would be too.

Thanks for all the suggestions