Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I really liked 2. would be interesting to see what they do in 2016.

weird announcement I didnt see coming though

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So in plain English, "Mafia 3 was announced, expect the first trailer in the near future."

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

How are those Mafia games? I confuse them with the Godfather ones so I've never been sure which ones are liked, hated, or if they both are bad, etc.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Getz

Mafia 2 had tons of atmosphere and attention to detail and had the feel of a solid mob movie. Nothing like Scorsese, but good enough ya know? The problem with it was a lack of things to do. You drive from one mission to the next, watch a cutscene, and usually shoot some guys afterwards. It got tedious after awhile, and all the charm of a 1940's crime drama wears off after your 100th gunfight.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Probably even more so than with other games that depends on who you ask. There are the kinda infamous 4/10 Eurogamer reviews of both games, but I remember at least the first one as pretty highly rated in most other publications.

And for me personally the first Mafia was a revelatory experience as it was the first really "cinematic" game I played with lots of well produced cut scenes and stuff and even an unhappy ending. Mafia 2 didn't impress me quite as much, naturally, but I still liked it. Peoples biggest gripe with it seems to be the "empty" open world, personally I had the biggest problems with the save system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So in plain English, "Mafia 3 was announced, expect the first trailer in the near future."

Holy good god what is going on with the English language and business?

I played Mafia 2 on hard. I liked the music and I especially liked the early post-war stuff, the old Ford models digging through the streets. It would have been nice if they had made their open world in any way meaningful. I would've liked any reason whatsoever to walk the streets and absorb the culture of post-war New York, look at the architecture and the dress, industry, the street life, but there's just fuck all to do unless you're driving to your next cutscene.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait. I hope if they do make it open world again they flesh out the world some more.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Mafia 1&2, BUT Daniel Vávra isn't even working on this one so the quality of the game is immensely questionable for me since the story was what made those games great.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I adored 2. Really loved the story and the way they told it. Psyched to see what form this takes; I'm hopeful it's not a Ubi style open world collectathon, but given the amount of complaints about the open world in the first game (which I didn't mind at all, since I liked the atmosphere it provided enough that I felt it served its purpose) I'm a tad worried. Regardless, glad the series didn't die with 2.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hate announcements of announcements!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@getz: sounds like what LA Noir did for me.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I only played the demo of Mafia 2 but Liked the setting alot and the shooting seemed solid.

roc_553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By roc_553

Wait, 2K has a studio called 2KUK?

Edit: Oh, bummer, it's just the name of the twitter feed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed Mafia 2 they nailed the atmosphere perfect and the shooting mechanics where very satisfying especially with physx and all the debris flying around.Great characters and soundtrack for that era.My only gripe with the game was it wasn't long enough and could of been more open world and the police really needed more dialog.I just hope Mafia 3 doesn't have 4 player co op or some half as episodic shit like the new hitman game turned into I'm sick of these devs taking shortcuts.Anyways all I want is a big open world singleplayer story game with alot of good side missions and tons of variety.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Really hope they make it like Mafia 1! That game, man. Pulling over and paying speeding tickets and shit. Loved the atmosphere.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@getz: sounds like what LA Noir did for me.

Yeah, they're kinda similar in that way. Mafia has a more cohesive story though.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By glots

Odd announcement, indeed. I wonder if one could mentally prepare for a HD remastering of 1&2...

I remember being really impressed with Mafia back in the day. That story was amazing and the ending...oh boy. Fuck that fucking racing mission, though. Fucking fuck...also, few of those songs that'd play on the background while you were driving, permantly burned to my memory.

Only ever played the demo of Mafia 2 and it ran like crap on my PC back then. Should buy it for dirthcheap from a Steam sale one day.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Mafia 1 was an amazing story that really did a great job of taking you through the cinematic paces of a rise to power in the mob. Great characters, fantastic writing, varied missions that cleverly made use of era specific events and a hell of an ending.

Mafia 2 felt a lot less ambitious in scope and was a lot less satisfying in terms of storytelling. You never really make it anywhere past being a lowly foot soldier and just as things look like they're about to pick up the game drives straight off a narrative cliff.

All the complaints people had at the time of there being nothing to do in the open world was the least of Mafia 2's problems. The biggest problem is that while the first game had a really brilliant character arc, the sequel never really went anywhere.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked mafia 2. Had a cool story stuff and the whole passage of time thing was neat as hell.

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet if they build on the stuff they did in 2 (which I enjoyed overall) they could make a really good game. I am cautiously optimistic.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is not the declaration of an announcement ITSELF an announcement?!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next week I'm going to be announcing an announcement coming a week later about a meal I will be cooking next month. It will be a hamburger! Stay tuned for more news!

Niko23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@rollingzeppelin: LOL! I wonder why they couldn't wait for next week and reveal it all at once. I know they wanted to build up hype but I think it would of been cool as shit if they just dropped the news/trailer out of nowhere. That would of cause some serious buzz.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Mafia 2, even if it did lean on every mob story narrative trope. People tend to be down on it because while the open world was really well crafted it was kind of empty when it came to side activities. These days however with every open world game basically turned into a series of check boxes I'm not certain that the criticism was warranted.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you. This sort of marketing just seems like a kid that gets way too excited about something they're making and spills the news too early. Then again, maybe they just don't trust the info not to leak and want to get it out there themselves. Either way, the state of this stuff is exacerbating.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Mafia II for dirt cheap and played it for an hour and never went back. I don't know why but it just didn't grab me. I remember being really excited about it though when I first saw the screenshots.

Also, that logo looks wrong somehow.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oof, that thread title.

This is great! I really liked Mafia 2. Never got around to the first one sadly.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These announcements of announcements are getting fucking annoying

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM

I thought I would really like two, and played it finally when it went free on Gold, but I ended up not finishing it, thinking it was just okay from the hours I played of it. I also didn't finish the first game on the original Xbox, which I hear is also the inferior version.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Vextroid

This is all I remember of Mafia II

Loading Video...

I should go back and finish it some day. Looking forward to seeing what they will do with III.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nightriff said:

How are those Mafia games? I confuse them with the Godfather ones so I've never been sure which ones are liked, hated, or if they both are bad, etc.

Mafia 1 was lightyears ahead of its time as an open world game, and had fantastic atmosphere and a great mobster story. Mafia 2 for me felt a bit empty and was forgettable.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK YEAH

I loved Mafia 2

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@honkalot said:

@nightriff said:

Mafia 1 was lightyears ahead of its time as an open world game, and had fantastic atmosphere and a great mobster story. Mafia 2 for me felt a bit empty and was forgettable.

This. Mafia 1 <3

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

weird

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

This is fantastic news.

I really liked Mafia II's story. Wonder if this will still include Vito somehow....probably not though, which is a damn shame, since they never really concluded his story.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is fantastic news.

I really liked Mafia II's story. Wonder if this will still include Vito somehow....probably not though, which is a damn shame, since they never really concluded his story.

Maybe it will be referenced in the story?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's super exciting, I really had a good time with Mafia 2.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Guys I have breaking news to announce.

Mafia 3 is happening. I leaked it. Just right now, I leaked it. Beat them to it by a whole week.

Sander9702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it's something like Mafia 1 mixed with Mafia 2.