Mafia Remaster

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody has been playing the Mafia Remaster (either the first game or the 3 pack)? How is the game and how does it feel as a modern title? I have not heard much about the game so wondered what people think of the title.

Thank you.

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By aiomon

I've heard a lot of bad things - feels very "go to point a, fight, repeat". That said I watched a stream yesterday and it looked fun...?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@aiomon: I mean thats very much what the original game was. The one thing I heard was that instead of tasking you with driving from A to B the game will often relegate this to a cutscene. Now this might hurt immersion a bit but Mafia 1 didn't really have anything going for it in that world. I appreciated it and didn't mind driving around because the time period was so radically different from everything else out on the market. That said, I also don't mind just getting to the set-piece mission instead of driving across town for the 20th time.

Tumbleweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also curious about this. Some of the reviews talked about the lack of open world side content as being dated/negative, but in the context of today's open world bloat nonsense, it honestly sounds kind of refreshing. The mission design might be another story though.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By terminallychill

I really like it, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it as I played it when I was young. I think they've done a great job updating the visuals and storytelling. The missions are largely the same and they've kept it as a linear game not a sandbox, so the gameplay does feel like a last-gen cover shooter at times.

That said, the game has a good story and it moves along without getting repetitive. They mix up what you're doing just enough that it doesn't get boring, and the shootouts are relatively short. They've done enough work to it that it doesn't feel thrown together. I liked mafia 2 and 3 as well, but 3 felt way too long and I was sick of the side missions by the end, so it's refreshing to just play a game that's mission-to-mission with no clearing out bases in between.

PurpleUrkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up the trilogy pack as a fan of 3 (my first entry in the series). I have completed the first game and I'm about halfway through the 2nd and I am really enjoying them for what they are. The first two games are incredibly linear when compared to the third but I actually feel like it works in their favor. Then the third game is one of my favorite of the "open world crime" games.

As a $60 (usd) package I feel really good about what I got. I think the $40 tag on just the first game is a bit steep. The presentation is on point but they aren't super transparent about the short playtime (6-8 hours for me).

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember really liking the original until the race, eventually beating that, and then truly hating one of the final levels (I think you are having a shootout behind a stage?) and never beating it

If the remaster added quicksaves/MUCH better checkpoints I might pick it up some day. I remember the game had a LOT of style and a lot of the missions were pretty fun when you weren't dealing with ten minutes of aimbots.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato: You can change difficulty on the fly and I think there are aim assist settings too, which helps. There's one part where you have to take out a moving target very quickly and I bumped the difficulty down then put it back up after.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My overriding memory of the original was my PC struggling to render the first mission and being completely fine with everything else. I still need to finish it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think I'm about two hours from finishing it, it's been too long since the original for me to remember how many chapters there are.

The gameplay loop definitely isn't anything complicated, but I'm more than fine with a very linear experience in a big world that's more of a decoration than a huge city with ton of activities, of which I'd maybe try one or two once and then never touch them again.

The story, which I enjoyed the most back then, is still good and a little more fleshed out (I think) this time around as well. Re-experiencing it has been more than enough to pull me through the otherwise fairly average, but functional gameplay.