No Caption Provided

I might never play this game again

Retroshaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@daavpuke: WOOOOAAAAAWWWWW. Honestly, I couldn't even be mad at that.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153  Edited By Relkin

wow what the hell! well, if you do stop playing, that's a hell of a high note to end on.

EDIT: Oh, just realized that wasn't your hand, haha.

Kebrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

It's taken some work, but out of the Novice area. Any idea how frequently/if they reset the ladders?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being dealt an incredible opening hand is the sharpest double edged sword because nothing is more infuriating in Mahjong than spending an entire game drawing tiles from every other suit.

Nyanshanten hell yeah now does anyone need an honor tile because I'm gonna draw every single one of them in a row.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Was on hotel WiFi and lagging terribly tonight, so I apologise for not accepting invites.

I did break down and bought some jade. Did a 10 pull and got the rate-up character, which was my intent. Also got a new tablecloth, so I've got that going for me. Definitely done spending money on the game (except maybe another fortune charm at some point) but I feel like it is a rock solid multiplayer client and I really am having lots of fun with the game overall.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By ratamero

I have finally made it to Adept and I'm now terrified of playing because there are consequences for losing. Also, sure enough, I dominated my first Silver Room match until the very end, only to be overtaken by the very first Yakuman I've ever seen in this game. At least I didn't draw into it, so still got second.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#158  Edited By drwhat

Here's a ridiculous thing I made. I don't remember if you can see the whole thing if you click. Hopefully so.

I am currently a pure green zone player, like our valiant leaders Ben and Jan. But this kind of helped to make, and then I had to add gradients because gradients are very funny to me.

Edit: ok yeah it's way too big to read all the text in the default view, so here's a full size (giant) link https://i.imgur.com/qut3TcN.png

Yakus and how they can lead into each other, with very important colour gradients
Yakus and how they can lead into each other, with very important colour gradients
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Efesell

You do still need to win those Double Yakuman hands, no free lunch just being in Tenpai. The added difficulty and value is that it has to be constructed towards a specific wait.

Pure Nine Gates waits on 9 tiles, otherwise it's the same hand but Impure. 13-Wait Orphans waits on 13 different tiles to form your final pair.

There's one hand that you never technically "win" in the normal sense. Nagashi Mangan (Mangan at Draw). This requires that you play all the way until Exhaustive Draw, discarding ONLY Terminals or Honors and NO ONE can call any of them to form a meld.

If you do this ridiculous thing then regardless of whether or not you're in Tenpai at exhaustive draw you will win the hand with Nagashi Mangan, which is just a normal Mangan Tsumo (8000 points)

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I am just replying to say your new avatar is the absolute best emote in that game, it cracks me up every single time

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drwhat: I generally try to work in that yellow to orange zone, but I will absolutely not pass up a dragon or wind yaku.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new years outfits are kinda cute.

Nice that they make them for the starter characters, would be nicer if there was any way to get outfit vouchers by playing but so it goes.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really feels great to pop online, start a match, win said match, then quit right then. I've won four of my last five, but I know the fall is coming as I'm 16 points to adept.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Today I got second place in a match purely by playing smart defense (didn't win a single hand) and somehow that felt better than some high-scoring wins. The hands weren't there and not only I knew enough about the game to know they weren't there, but also to decide what to do not to get blown up by someone else. Novice-me would have tried to keep pushing doomed hands all the way and would have gotten completely obliterated.

bagelsbagels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drwhat:

Nice! I noticed the "I don't know what Mangan is" in that graphic, heh. Mangan is basically when your hand is considered somewhat expensive and the scoring calculation changes. 5 han (4 with enough fu) gives you a mangan which is worth 12000 (dealer) / 8000 (non-dealer). A nice payout!

Mangan can be an important factor in many decisions like riichi, folding, calling pon/chii, etc. For example, if you already have a mangan or higher hand. You might not want to riichi. If the other players are defensive, you might never get that mangan. On the other hand, if you have a 2-3 han ready-hand. Riichi (1 han) + possibility of ippatsu (1 han), tsumo (1 han), ura-dora (1+ han) can push you into mangan territory.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

@bagelsbagels Thank you. I have to read up on what fu are and all that to actually understand what you said, but that helps somewhat.

@efesell ahh ok that makes sense. Nagashi Mangan sounds really interesting but what a ridiculous thing to attempt to do. Especially since everyone can see exactly how close you are to doing it.

@janman come use my ridiculous looking and mostly right diagram for great learnings!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drwhat: Nagashi Mangan feels like a house rule where someone said okay I may have lost but look what I did that had to be worth SOMETHING.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I just got trounced on my first foray into the Silver tables. Drew into a Mangan and a Baiman. At least I didn't go negative.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dabbling with Majsoul Plus which is a desktop app you can use instead of the website, and allows for dumb modding shenanigans. It also just unlocks voices so that you don't have to play a thousand mahjong games per character to hear them on your end.

franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@efesell: I feel like "this seems like an obscure house rule someone made up on the spot" describes every local yaku. For example: chuupin raoyui (win the game w/ a tsumo that's the last tile drawn and also a 9-pin), paarenchan (rules vary, either win 8 games in a row or win 8 games as dealer in a row), Chousangen (get kan sets of every dragon).

I'm honestly impressed with how many different local yaku MajSoul accounts for, it would've been super easy for them to just go with a few, or to refuse to have them outright.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

If, like me, you've been dreading playing for a bit, then let this new year's reward be an incentive: https://twitter.com/MahjongSoul_EN/status/1344682226412359687?s=19

Don't forget to log on. Have a good one.

No Caption Provided

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, good. Those gifts will get me up to 5 hearts. Or closer to bond.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish this game had something to tell you what you did wrong when you get a No Yakuman. Can't tell you how many times I get that when it seems like I should have a valid hand. I've never been good at just memorizing stuff, so I'm never going to be able to learn many of the hands. There is a in-game reference guide, but I've found it to be less than useless mid-match, due to the time constraint.

Frustrating. Feel like I've hit a brick wall with this game, and as a result I don't see myself ever breaking out of Novice unless I get some absurd luck.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin: While you learn more complex Yaku try going for a combo of

Riichi, Tanyao (Only numbers, excluding 1s and 9s), and Pinfu (Valueless Pair, winning tile from either side of a sequence).

This is a basic and easy to construct hand that can be the backbone of any game that you play, if you snag some Dora and Ura Dora as well you can take huge chunks out of anyone who deals into you. Building big hands and racking up huge wins is fun but fundamentals like the above will carry you more reliably.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: So, wait. Does putting a triple of an honor mess all that up? Cause I've done what you list above a bunch with a triple of lets say East Wind or something and gotten it to work, and sometimes it doesn't and I get No Yakuman and for the life of me I don't get why.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By redwing42

@relkin: Any Honor (Winds or Dragons) will invalidate a pinfu or tanyao. But any dragon triplet is worth a yaku, and the wind of the round (almost always East for our purposes) and your seat wind are also worth a yaku. If a wind is not the round or your seat wind, it is almost worthless unless you are going for a hand like all triplets.

Also, it is much easier to print a reference page or have a second screen up with valid hands, instead of trying to switch back and forth, especially with how little time you get to play.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Efesell

@relkin: Honors invalidate Tanyao because that's only numbers 2-8. Honors generally invalidate Pinfu because they're worth Fu on their own. You can however use Winds as your pair in a Pinfu if they're NOT your Seat wind or Prevalent wind.

Dragons, Seat, and Prevalent wind triplets will always form a Yaku on their own. Don't Pon a 1, 9, or non Seat/Prevalent Wind without one because that's the easiest way to accidentally find yourself without a Yaku.

It's also worth remembering that No Yaku is still a hand that is considered to be in Tenpai so you will still be eligible for points if the game goes to Exhaustive Draw, this will also maintain your dealership.

Here's a good yaku cheat sheet if you can second screen.

No Caption Provided

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Relkin

@efesell: @redwing42: Thanks for the tips; I didn't even know the type of wind mattered. Guess I'll get back to it and see if I can make this work for me.

EDIT: Oh, and does someone taking a tile invalidate Ippatsu? Just Riichi'd, and the first move after mine was Pon'd, but then I Ron'd the tile discarded by the player who Pon'd and I didn't get Ippatsu.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Efesell

@relkin: Yeah, Ippatsu is invalidated if any call is made or after you draw your next tile. A lot of people will defensively open up their hands after a Riichi to avoid risking a bigger loss.

bagelsbagels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By bagelsbagels

@relkin: Like Efesell said, you should focus on closed hands - riichi, pinfu, tanyao; and open hands - yakuhai, tanyao. You can pretty much ignore other yaku until you master these. They offer high speed and flexibility over other yaku, and will be the majority of hands in this game. I would even say, when you are starting out, avoid calling and keep your hand closed.

By the way, for everyone here, this is an tile efficiency trainer that I've used: https://euophrys.itch.io/mahjong-efficiency-trainer. This is a good way to know if you are discarding optimally and train speed (towards riichi especially). Of course, you won't necessarily play this way in most games due to the context of the match, but it can reveal if there are any gaps in your fundamentals.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of my Yakuman chances get interrupted by someone dealing the most dangerous tile imaginable.

Sitting on 4 concealed triplets with 15 tiles left, and look it's a bad wait its not going to happen but I'm still mad at the guy dealing a live white dragon at that stage of the game.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

It seems obvious, once you think about it, but I just learned that the Dora tiles in the top left can be the same thing twice and count as a double Dora tile. Never happened before.

Also triggered a four richii draw before that for the first time, which was fun. Other than that, I've been consistently getting my butt handed to me these last few days. To the point where I'm down to no points. Feels bad.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah duplicate Dora indicators is how you can suddenly terrify an entire board with your like.. Yakuhai Dora8 hand that suddenly appears out of nowhere. It's great.

It's why I'll usually just call Kans for the hell of it if my hand sucks because you can really pull some wins out of your ass that way if you're lucky. Or deal into a counted Yakuman of your own design.

entoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By entoma

That's interesting, I didn't know that before! Could definitely make for some crazy scoring hands. Does a Red Five tile that is dora also count twice then? I've had that before but didn't win the hand so im not 100% sure.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, since a red five is a Dora regardless of the indicator it becomes a Dora2 when 5s are Dora and in the case of duplicates gets more han stacked on top of that as well.

Dora are very dangerous.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Quantris

@entoma: Yes, a red five can count for dora from both its redness & from being "indicated" (so in theory it could be worth +5 dora)

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would explain why I sometimes seem to get decimated by red five pulls. Really never stopped to think about it.

No Caption Provided

Really have lost my touch; I don't know what changed. The game before this one, I got stolen 5 consecutive times, until sometime inevitably hit Ron on me. This game, I was up SIX consecutive East wins and felt like a complete douche for stretching playtime. In both games, it felt completely beyond my control what was happening.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Efesell

@daavpuke: I mean ultimately Mahjong is still a game of chance. You can apply technique and strategy to massage that in your favor but you could always play the best game of your life and someone can still just draw the tile they need to win at any given moment.

If you find that you deal into a lot of hands it's worth reviewing some basic defensive play strategies but more often than not if you analyze your games you'll find that you probably make more or less the right call.. just the tiles didn't fall in your favor.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am currently sitting at a 4-win streak on Silver Room, a 7-match streak on top 2, and now I'm just waiting for my luck to turn. (hopefully it will at least wait until I move up to Adept-2)

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Efesell

I just wanna finish this event so naturally all of my opening hands are shit and everyone tsumos on turn 4.

E: Well it's done. Feels like there should be a more dramatic reward than the final thing on the list being One summon.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been on a four match skid myself, ever since I hit adept. Very frustrating.

Sniipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#193  Edited By Sniipe

Started playing in the summer, came back to it today. Still in Novice 2 cuz I’m bad at games but reading a bit of that Mahjong book online. I’m free like... all the time so I’d love to play with anyone or learn from anyone. Code is 125539685, I added a bunch of ppl and I’m Torbinia in game. Is there a discord set up for voice chat or anything?

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ayyy

No Caption Provided

I'll be a strictly Bronze player, until I can grind some more points that I can lose (or until a quest). At least there, when I place third or something, it's not because someone gets 24k points a round...off me, more than likely.

You've got a few days left to get all the points, so no rush.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my standard opening hand of 1s 9s and pairs of dead winds.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By daavpuke

@efesell: are we twins? Whenever I go back into silver rooms, that's all I get. Then I try outside hand and don't get any tiles for it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This was so close to a 4 Quads, but I am glad I chose safety instead.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slowed down my playing over the holidays; but I just hit Adept 2 which is a big milestone for me. Kinda fee like I'm at the point where I should figure out what fu actually are. I generally understand what the low value, sub-2k point hands are, but I can't really tell why anything in the range of 3,600 to 8,000 is what it is.

Also, I paid for that $5 month long thing as a way to give the game a bit of money for all the time I put into it. Between it and a couple freebies from the event, I think I've done 7 or 8 summons. Every single one has been a blue item. #Feelsbad

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

It's a dog eat dog Mahjong day out there today. I keep having gamse end on East 1, because some poor soul gets double Ron'd into a ton of Dora and instantly loses their 25000 points. For once, I'm not on the end of that, but it's brutal seeing it happen several times in a row.

Protect ya tile neck y'all.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only need two more of these spheres to unlock Bond and 2nd outfit and the shop just will not play ball.