• 89 results
Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Rekt_Hed

was the comment made by Jeff on the bombcast followed by Ryan saying ' ohh nooo.....my life' :P

Now I know this was all part of the joke and the reason its funny is because it is true but after getting heavily back into gaming over the last 3 years I cant help feel like I should be calming down on it and 'building a bridge' or something.

Anyone else actually have a simular feeling when this was said???
Im not saying I want to stop gaming today and start a new colony in the woods somewhere but I cant help feel .......something.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kjellm87

Sometimes, but then again they're pretty pointless. 
But as some say "Wasted time is time well spend"

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

Entertainment is never pointless.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By X19

I'm the same but that's mainly because I don't know many people who play games. I have started converting people to my waste of time hobby though and that helps :)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MrKlorox
@Axxol said:

" Entertainment is never pointless. "

It is if you consume entertainment products without actually being entertained. Luckily there are websites like this to help us spend our money wisely. Nobody likes playing shitty games.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By meteora

Gaming isn't a waste of time unless you play like 8 hours a day.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rattle618

We all need something to take our minds off the stuff that really matters (whatever that is in your life), it´s an important part of who you are and how your brain functions.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@Meteora said:
" Gaming isn't a waste of time unless you play like 8 hours a day. "
Goddamn I wish I had that time. Of course last weekend I had no reason to leave the house, so by Sunday, my computer/video game corner of the living room was a war zone.

This was also the weekend that Crysis gameplay finally clicked for me. It was fun using it for benchmarks and all, who knew it was a kickass game too?
Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Nux

What else are we going to do with our free time?
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By weltal

Mostly everything you do in life is pointless. The concept comparing of one pointless activity versus another pointless activity is kinda silly. If there's something you'd rather be doing, go do it. If not, then don't feel bad that how you're spending your time.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck

Yeah, video games are kind of a time waster. But it's not like I have anything better to do.

chem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By chem
@Weltal said:
" Mostly everything you do in life is pointless. The concept comparing of one pointless activity versus another pointless activity is kinda silly. If there's something you'd rather be doing, go do it. If not, then don't feel bad that how you're spending your time. "
oh noo.... my life!
Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zapbrader

I could just as easily sit in my home all day and read books, but I bet no one would consider that pointless.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Only if its getting in the way of something important.  Have fun, thats what they are meant for.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude
@Axxol said:
Interactive Entertainment is the best.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shirogane

Tell that to Activision who are making millions? D=
landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By landon
@MrKlorox said:
" @Axxol said:

It is if you consume entertainment products without actually being entertained. Luckily there are websites like this to help us spend our money wisely. Nobody likes playing shitty games. "
As much as I would like to agree with you on this, there are people that would prove you wrong.
Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rekt_Hed

Some good points guys :) Yeh I got to say Interactive entertainment is pretty awesome.

I think the game that kicked of my OCD on gaming this gen was probably Uncharted 2 due to me having a love for films as well. So that game combined my two favourite things :D

Just gotta remember to keep a healthy balance like with anything we do I guess
(But its so hard when the games are soooooo goooood) hehehehe

gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gazingout

If you think Uncharted 2 is some sort of quintessence as to why movies work as a story-telling medium, you're a fucking idiot.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rekt_Hed
@Landon said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @Axxol said:

It is if you consume entertainment products without actually being entertained. Luckily there are websites like this to help us spend our money wisely. Nobody likes playing shitty games. "
As much as I would like to agree with you on this, there are people that would prove you wrong. "
Yeh you just reminded me of when I was looking round a 'GAME' store in the UK and this guy was boasting to the employe that he spent hours collecting all the orbs in Transformers game without a guide!!!

I just thought to myself ' Dude thats pretty fuckin lame why are u boasting about it'  but then the employe said ' Yeh I did that as well'

I COUDLNT ROLL MY EYES HARD ENUFF!
Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rekt_Hed
@gazingout said:
" If you think Uncharted 2 is some sort of quintessence as to why movies work as a story-telling medium, you're a fucking idiot. "
I didnt say that did I.  I just said the game was a clever blend of the two mediums.  It is set up like any Indiana Jones movie uve ever seen.  Jeez mate chill the fuck out.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Venatio

As long as I'm entertained it's time well spent

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By jasondaplock
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
This was also the weekend that Crysis gameplay finally clicked for me. It was fun using it for benchmarks and all, who knew it was a kickass game too? "
I know right? I had played through it three times since it came out and it wasn't until this most recent run that it suddenly felt awesome instead of just "graphical."
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gazingout

Indiana Jones is garbage and a terrible example of what movies can do. Indiana Jones' story was so thin, it would have been just as effective as comic strips.

the_korben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By the_korben

It's a very difficult topic. There are several different philosophies that could be applied. I mean, in principle an economist would tell you that you'd want to spend your time in way that it maximizes your happiness - whatever that actually is. An idealist philosopher might tell you to use your limited time so you become the best person you possibly can. Learn, improve, reflect. Others will tell you that the goal in life is to maximize other people's happiness. Others go by more superficial principles like "make everyday something new" or some self-help slogan like that.

Whichever route you go, I'm pretty sure that the only one that is not really desirable in any reference frame is the following: to be a hollow shell of a consumer, constantly latching on to the next product that the entertainment industry serves you to suck away your money in exchange for perpetual escapism. Movies, comic books, video games, x, y, z.  "Just never give me a second to think about anything! Keep me wrapped in that artificial womb of fantasy!". Once you've become that person, and you only live your life to work in a job in order to be able to regularly afford your escapism, I'd say your free time is better spent looking for something that gives your life more of a purpose. But that's just my opinion :). 

Please don't get me wrong. If you're on a path that feels right for you, there's no problem in wasting time every now and then (or even regularly). You need to recharge your batteries and relax in order to give it your all in those areas in your life that really count. That's what hobbies are good for, right? Just don't make it the only thing you do ... unless you do it for a living. 

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rekt_Hed
@gazingout said:
" Indiana Jones is garbage and a terrible example of what movies can do. Indiana Jones' story was so thin, it would have been just as effective as comic strips. "
Think were getting massively off topic here.  If your really that angry about it start a new thread.  I was just making a comparison Jeez dude.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By armaan8014

Then start making games

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SSully
@gazingout said:
" Indiana Jones is garbage and a terrible example of what movies can do. Indiana Jones' story was so thin, it would have been just as effective as comic strips. "
You really need to chill out, the hostility in your posts is mind boggling in correlation to what this thread is about.  

Video games are a waste of time, thats why we play them. As long as you regulate the important things in your life and only play video games when you have spare time then you are good. If you live in your mothers basement, are over the age of 18, dont have a job or take classes and just play games and sit on giantbomb all day then you might want to reconsider the direction in your life. 
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoelTGM

don't think too hard man.  video games are fun to play. 

bigsteve33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By bigsteve33

I love video games!  Fuck your sense of ennui and  malaise about them.  nough said .

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rekt_Hed
@the_korben said:

" It's a very difficult topic. There are several different philosophies that could be applied. I mean, in principle an economist would tell you that you'd want to spend your time in way that it maximizes your happiness - whatever that actually is. An idealist philosopher might tell you to use your limited time so you become the best person you possibly can. Learn, improve, reflect. Others will tell you that the goal in life is to maximize other people's happiness. Others go by more superficial principles like "make everyday something new" or some self-help slogan like that. Whichever route you go, I'm pretty sure that the only one that is not really desirable in any reference frame is the following: to be a hollow shell of a consumer, constantly latching on to the next product that the entertainment industry serves you to suck away your money in exchange for perpetual escapism. Movies, comic books, video games, x, y, z.  "Just never give me a second to think about anything! Keep me wrapped in that artificial womb of fantasy!". Once you've become that person, and you only live your life to work in a job in order to be able to regularly afford your escapism, I'd say your free time is better spent looking for something that gives your life more of a purpose. But that's just my opinion :).   Please don't get me wrong. If you're on a path that feels right for you, there's no problem in wasting time every now and then (or even regularly). You need to recharge your batteries and relax in order to give it your all in those areas in your life that really count. That's what hobbies are good for, right? Just don't make it the only thing you do ... unless you do it for a living.  "

Damn dude your speaking some high end talk right there :) Oh yeh games are great for escapism.  But find that with almost everything in this world is set up so you can lose yourself in it just like movies, Art, nature, music etc.
Ive always known that its good to keep open mind to any media or expression of ideas.   Some games are so sophisicated these days (been gaming since 1994) its crazy how many emotions can be evoked.

My main problem with this Gen is that Devs have devised so many ways to keep you invested and replaying games.  I have completionist tendancies which I've had to majorly surpess to be able to stop playing a old game and play new title.

In response to your last sentance I do think that games are a good way to 'relax' but only in the physical side.  Often if ive spent a day off playing a game I will feel just as exhausted as If Ive spent a whole day at work from the mind being constantly active thinking thats its underattack or in danger playing the usual FPS and action games where your constantly caught in some sort of struggle.  

But yeh just for the record I do work full time and dont spend every free minute I have gaming as I also have many other past times.  I suppose growing up in the 90s that sorta 'video games are just for kids' mentality is still in my sub conscious making me feel guilty for still playing games at the age of 27.  But the industry has changed so much since when I first played duck hunt on the NES :)
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

As much as i love and enjoy games,most of them are pointless.
But then again,isn't reading,listening to music or watching movies?
We all require entertainment,and once that entertainment reaches a certain quality it becomes art. nuff said.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheChaos
@Meteora said:
What if you play over 12 hours a day?
Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rekt_Hed
@SSully said:
" @gazingout said:
You really need to chill out, the hostility in your posts is mind boggling in correlation to what this thread is about.   Video games are a waste of time, thats why we play them. As long as you regulate the important things in your life and only play video games when you have spare time then you are good. If you live in your mothers basement, are over the age of 18, dont have a job or take classes and just play games and sit on giantbomb all day then you might want to reconsider the direction in your life.  "
Cheers for havin my back dude.  and YES you speak the truth SSully
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Rekt_Hed said:
" @SSully said:
" @gazingout said:
You really need to chill out, the hostility in your posts is mind boggling in correlation to what this thread is about.   Video games are a waste of time, thats why we play them. As long as you regulate the important things in your life and only play video games when you have spare time then you are good. If you live in your mothers basement, are over the age of 18, dont have a job or take classes and just play games and sit on giantbomb all day then you might want to reconsider the direction in your life.  "
Cheers for havin my back dude.  and YES you speak the truth SSully "
Um...indiana jones did suck,at least the kingdom of the crystal skull did...it sucked bad.

No Caption Provided
gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gazingout

Each one of Indiana Jones is garbage.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By meteora
@TheChaos said:
" @Meteora said:
What if you play over 12 hours a day? "
Then it becomes a career. :3
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Video games are entertainment. As long as your not "only" gaming and doing other things with your life, then theres nothing wrong with playing video games.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rekt_Hed
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" @Rekt_Hed said:
" @SSully said:
" @gazingout said:
Cheers for havin my back dude.  and YES you speak the truth SSully "
Um...indiana jones did suck,at least the kingdom of the crystal skull did...it sucked bad.

No Caption Provided
"
ohh yeh no denying that.  When I said Indiana films I meant any of them that wasnt the most recent one.  LoL that ep of south park was awesome :)
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BigLemon

But video games aren't the point of my life, so that's okay. They're not the end, nor the means. And that's how I like it.

the_korben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By the_korben
@Rekt_Hed: @Rekt_Hed said:
Damn dude your speaking some high end talk right there :)       Oh yeh games are great for escapism.  But find that with almost everything in this world is set up so you can lose yourself in it just like movies, Art, nature, music etc. Ive always known that its good to keep open mind to any media or expression of ideas.   Some games are so sophisicated these days (been gaming since 1994) its crazy how many emotions can be evoked.  My main problem with this Gen is that Devs have devised so many ways to keep you invested and replaying games.  I have completionist tendancies which I've had to majorly surpess to be able to stop playing a old game and play new title.  In response to your last sentance I do think that games are a good way to 'relax' but only in the physical side.  Often if ive spent a day off playing a game I will feel just as exhausted as If Ive spent a whole day at work from the mind being constantly active thinking thats its underattack or in danger playing the usual FPS and action games where your constantly caught in some sort of struggle.    But yeh just for the record I do work full time and dont spend every free minute I have gaming as I also have many other past times.  I suppose growing up in the 90s that sorta 'video games are just for kids' mentality is still in my sub conscious making me feel guilty for still playing games at the age of 27.  But the industry has changed so much since when I first played duck hunt on the NES :) "  

Sorry about the "high level" stuff - I think I got carried away a bit ;). I agree with everything you said. However, my main problem with this Gen is not that there is SO much to do. I'm more worried that much of it is more and more explicitly designed to constantly attack and stimulate the pleasure and reward centers in our brains. The problem with that is that there are things in real life that are simply hard (i.e., learning quantum physics, becoming a good athlete or musician, learn languages) and that take many, many hours of dedication without instant gratification. These are things that are highly rewarding in the long run, but on the short term they can't compete with things like video games. I'm just worried that many kids are losing the ability to even consider doing such things, given that all they know is instant gratification and instant knowledge from the internet.  Then again, this stuff is not restricted to video games alone, and maybe I'm just getting old and cranky ;) 

It sounds kind of weird, but this might be a reason why I'm actually enjoying clunky games with a soul (e.g., Deadly Premonition or Nier) at least as much as the "best games" out there.  They keep reminding me that the instant gratification of today's best games is something highly artificial.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By tourgen

I don't know.  The only time I feel like I'm wasting my time is with games that are just more complicated versions of Progress Quest.  If the game has a few good puzzles, some good dialog or story, interesting characters, or something new I'm happy.  If it's just a crappy rehashed grindfest Progress Quest clone you are better off suppressing your completionist tendencies and moving on or taking a break to do something else besides gaming.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SSully
@Rekt_Hed: No problemo man!  

@TheDudeOfGaming: Oh man any self respecting indie fan knows the series stopped pre-crystal skull, the rest are great, entertaining movies. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Dude how is this for deep ?  Life is pointless but it beats the alternative.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iam3green

i don't understand that quote. i hear that all the time from people. it's a form of entertainment. it is just as bad as going to a movies to see something. sometimes movies are like 2 hours long. sometimes people that play video games take 2 hours long.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By Chris2KLee

I think about it sometimes, but then I remember how awesome videogames are and it passes.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Vinny_Says

It''s that or fapping all day, now that's pointless!

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By wrathofconn
@Rekt_Hed said:
" @gazingout said:
Think were getting massively off topic here.  If your really that angry about it start a new thread.  I was just making a comparison Jeez dude. "
That guy is a horrible troll and there's no point replying to him. Seriously, if you look at his profile, all he does is troll threads.
Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rekt_Hed
@wrathofconn said:
" @Rekt_Hed said:
" @gazingout said:
Think were getting massively off topic here.  If your really that angry about it start a new thread.  I was just making a comparison Jeez dude. "
That guy is a horrible troll and there's no point replying to him. Seriously, if you look at his profile, all he does is troll threads. "
YUP that guy is a grade A douche :)
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Hizang

If video game are pointless then everything is pointless to that degree, we are just buying time till we die. But I think that you should spend your life enjoying it, so if you enjoy video games your enjoying life. 

But I do see a point from this with games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, you spend all that time playing online, to only go and buy Black Ops and have to start again