Mechanical keyboards?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Aus_azn

My Asus OEM Razer Arctosa is beginning to give up the ghost, and I was looking to get a new keyboard around Black Friday of this year.

Leaving myself ample time for research, I thought I'd ask you guys' opinion on a good mechanical keyboard (gaming or bog-standard, doesn't matter to me). I'm willing to spend a little bit more money if necessary, but an MSRP of $150-200 is probably my limit (bear in mind that this is hypothesizing based on a Black Friday sale: my expected out-of-pocket expense is closer to $100.....).

If you could, include a little explanation why; this is also on my primary work computer, so typing is also relatively important.

What do you guys recommend? If it helps, I play Starcraft 2 and FPSes.

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Voshterkoff

Das silent

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By dillonwerner
@Voshterkoff said:

Das silent

I second this, excellent keyboard.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

I've heard good things about Das.

Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Sliced_Bread

Das Keyboard is the best one I've ever used. Very reliable, I've got the first version they released and it still works fantastically. They are not limited to 3 keys being pressed at once, which is very important to me as a gamer. They come in either "clacky" or silent versions, and with or without letters on the keys. Personally, I prefer without letters as it has improved my typing speed a lot.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Th3_James

Das Ultimate - Loud.....

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By positrark

If you have ample time for research, I would just do the research and look at sites that review mechanical keyboards. No normal user has any real grounds for comparison since they have usually only tried their one keyboard. They can tell you if they like it, but not if it's good value or how it compares to anything else on the market.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DystopiaX

Go to geekhack.org, most knowledgable site on mechanical keyboards that I know of, look at their reviews/explanations, and decide based on what would be best for you.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ChaosDent

I have a 1993 Lexmark Model M at work, so I ordered a Unicomp Customizer for consistency at home. The Unicomp keyboards are built in the same factory with the same tools as the IBM and Lexmark keyborads, though they do use different buckling spring switches. The feel is almost the same, though I do prefer my nearly 20 year old work keyboard to my new one because it requires a slightly lighter touch.

The Unicomp models are definitely a lot more ... retro .. looking than the Das keyboard, but they are $50 cheaper and have quite a few options for key layouts, connector type, and switch type (definitely go buckling srping).

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Aetos

@Th3_James said:

Das Ultimate - Loud.....

Also if you buy the Ultimate you look like a bad ass since it has not lettering on the keyboard. Something about that just makes it much more cool. Plus if your currently a college student I'm pretty sure they offer a slight discount.

And if you wanna know how loud it is, Destiny uses one. Here is a video from Destiny's stream.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Th3_James

@Tactical_Kill said:

@Th3_James said:

Das Ultimate - Loud.....

Also if you buy the Ultimate you look like a bad ass since it has not lettering on the keyboard. Something about that just makes it much more cool. Plus if your currently a college student I'm pretty sure they offer a slight discount.

And if you wanna know how loud it is, Destiny uses one. Here is a video from Destiny's stream.

Looks cool and also makes you a better typist. I could already touch type but now I don't even need to look at the keyboard to realign my hands.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aus_azn

Sounds like everyone here seems to like the Das.

As someone who has used Razer products before, have any of you tried the BlackWidow? How is that, in comparison?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lockwoodx

Adesso Mechanical Pro for Blue cherries. The firm feedback is just like the old IBM clicky keyboards. The only disadvantage is no full key rollover. Only 6.