Mental Health note for All Duders

#1 Edited by splodge (2805 posts) -

Recently through my job I have thankfully been in the position to help some folks who were dealing with some extreme psychiatric issues. In my country, Ireland, we have a terrible track record of dealing with this kind of thing, especially when it involves young adult males.

I am privileged to live in a country where this kind of contact sets off a procedure of concern and intervention.

We all have dark moments in our lives. For some people though, these dark moments stretch out and seem completely insurmountable.

You are not alone.

Please call someone. Talk to a family member, or a friend. If you do not feel comfortable calling emergency services, please talk to at least one person before you follow through. I do not know how hard things are for you right now, but someone close to you will understand.

If you feel like there is no one close to you who can understand, call emergency services and ask for an ambulance. The person who picks up is trained in recognizing your fear and WILL help you. Please do not be afraid to reach out for help.

From my experience and through the experience of the staff I work with, talking to someone helps, be it a family member, or a friend, or just a stranger on the end of a phone line.

Please talk to someone first. You are never alone. If i had truly known that in the past, my own incidents of self harm and attempts at suicide would have been avoided. I thought I was completely alone. I was completely wrong.

I am here for you, this community is here for you, you are not alone!

EDIT - if y'all have something going on that you are worried about and want to talk about, feel free to message me. I am not a mental health professional, but through the course of my work I have a lot of experience just talking with people. Please do that. I 100 percent do not mind, and there is no shame in it. I cannot guarantee I will get back to you straight away, but I will listen to you and chat with you about your problems. I may have been there, and if not, I have a 26 member strong workforce behind me of police and civilian staff who will gladly chime in on the kind of help you can receive and where you can get it. The road may be long, but there are folks who can help you with your burden. :)

#2 Edited by Heidegger (101 posts) -

@splodge: great post, wise words! Discussing such things is thankfully becoming more acceptable and encouraged. Check this football forum out and its thread on depression (where everyone is invited, not just Everton fans):

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/discussion-help-on-depression-mental-health-related-issues.62441/

That even among the somewhat macho-culture of football fans there can be a kind open discussion (almost 13,000 posts so far) is a sure sign we're collectively heading in the right direction, as is your post :)

#3 Posted by someoneproud (668 posts) -

@splodge: This is a really nice idea, thanks for taking the time to offer help to duders in need. A video game forum is as good a place as any to talk through these things and no-one should ever feel ashamed of struggling or asking for help.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
#4 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (1100 posts) -

Just for my personal story, I've been struggling chronic pain issues caused by untreated anxiety for two years and a half. For the longest part of that time, I had no idea what was going on, I was just in pain most of the time and every doctor I've met would jut be lost and unable to do a proper diagnostic. For a year and a half I was just in a very dark place, not knowing how long I'd be able to keep up.

I had to do a lot of work to start getting better sadly, but I couldn't have done it with help from people. I was very afraid to reach out but really I should've done it better. That includes therapy, and I'd strongly advise anyone needing help and not having close friends to talk with to seek therapy as soon as possible.

I'm still struggling a fair bit but I've got better in the last year, I'm finally on pain medication and anti-depressants which have been helping A LOT even though. I see my therapist enough that every time things go bad I know I don't have to wait too much before being able to talk about it. I started getting out and doing activities again, I restarted writing and programming, even finished a game about my issues. I found a friend who's very understanding about my issues and who's willing to talk plainly about it whenever I need.

When I was at my worst I always feared that it would be my emotional state forever. Even if you'll have to live with depression/anxiety issues all your life, you can always find way to manage and keep going. I guess the moral of my story is to seek help as soon as possible. The sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll start to see a future. It can be friends, it can be a therapist or it can simply be forums online, if you don't have anyone to talk to or money to seek treatment. Never give up before trying everything, even if you don't believe in it. It can take a while but you'll get there, I promise.

#5 Posted by TheHT (15889 posts) -

Thanks, to all in this thread.

#6 Posted by wollywoo (324 posts) -

If I think about things in a rational state of mind I have it pretty great in a lot of ways: good job, a few good friends, and good health. But the depression I've dealt with all of my adult life persists. So I'm trying to uncouple my state of mind from my surrounding circumstances and realize that my brain would be fucking with me regardless. Progress? Therapy and antidepressants never seem to help much, but I am trying.

I'm still struggling a fair bit but I've got better in the last year, I'm finally on pain medication and anti-depressants which have been helping A LOT even though. I see my therapist enough that every time things go bad I know I don't have to wait too much before being able to talk about it. I started getting out and doing activities again, I restarted writing and programming, even finished a game about my issues.

Cool, what's the game?

#7 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (1100 posts) -

@wollywoo: Here

I hope it's okay to post here since the game is free.

#8 Posted by wollywoo (324 posts) -

@fear_the_booboo: Whoa, that was really unique and interesting. Resonates a lot with me. Thanks, man.

#9 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (1100 posts) -

@wollywoo: Thank you!

Hope you'll find something to help with depression soon. Please don't stop trying and take care of yourself.

#10 Posted by shaftwaxer (36 posts) -

This is a wonderful thread full of wonderful people. Y'all make me smile.

shaftwaxer <-- somebody who has been dealing with genetic mental health issues his entire life and is glad he got help